• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds was a critical and commercial success, sales exceeded expectations.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

During its Q2 financial report, Take-Two announced that The Outer Worlds was a critical and commercial success. The company also stated that the game’s sales exceeded expectations, something that will definitely please all Obsidian fans out there.

Unfortunately, Take-Two did not reveal a specific number for the game’s sales, or sale percentages per platform. As such, we don’t know how successful the PC version was.

In similar news, Take-Two revealed that Borderlands 3 reached seven million total sales. Again, the company did not reveal any platform-specific sales. Furthermore, Grand Theft Auto 5 has sold over 115 million copies.

Last but not least, Take-Two claimed that it plans to release sequels from its biggest franchises as well as exciting new IP.
“Looking ahead, Take-Two has the strongest development pipeline in its history, including sequels from our biggest franchises as well as exciting new IP. We are actively investing in emerging markets, platforms and business models.”

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The game that inspired me to sign up to PC Gamepass.
Best $1 I ever spent!!!

In all seriousness, this game was badly needed and I had a blast playing it. It did start to lose steam, once I got towards the end and reached the level cap.

I do hope Bethesda looks at this and realizes that there is still a market for the Fallout 3/New Vegas style of games.

Bethesda should take note and realize that this is a golden opportunity to re-release the previous games on consoles.

You can't say fairer than a quid. I told a mate of mine about that because he was complaining about the Epic exclusivity and he was floored :messenger_grinning_smiling:
I informed my brother about it and he also signed up. Unfortunately for him, he was one of the unlucky people who couldn't get the game to launch, for whatever reason.

I had a flawless experience. Game started immediately, zero bugs and zero crashes. Pretty good game, all in all. Although the complete experience didn't live up to my first impressions. I agree with Mr Football above, the game does lose steam and I was happy to see it end.

I get the feeling Game Pass, and Microsoft’s purchase of Obsidian is going to complicate any sales data about this game. The takeaway for me is that all involved seem happy with the numbers.

Ryu Kaiba

what a shame welcome to the future and more of this
o5qxq85.jpg

GymWolf

Yeah i was bored after less than 20 hours, the game is broken and cakewalky after 5 hours even on hard and sometimes the sjw aura is pretty visible (like the pioneer ship is hilarious in that sense).

But i like the genre so i'm happy for obsidian.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Great. Now, does that mean the sequel with have a budget? The game was kinda short, and the moment it got going you were already in the end stretch. I can look passed the political bullshit, but I need me some depth to the game.

This may be heresy, but the game was an 8/10 for me. Maybe I'm just a sucker for the FO recipe.

Grinchy

Banned
I wonder if MS is glad that a PS4 version slipped through. It's probably the only reason it made any money. On PC and xbox, it was basically a free trial game.

Here's my prediction - Due to this success a sequel will be made and will bomb hard. IMO a ton of people got this game because they got caught up in the hype and potential. It also takes about 10 hours for the disillusionment to set in for just how boring and flawed this game actually is.

I wanted a wacky space adventure with a good story and well written characters. It did not deliver, but for the first few hours it had me believing that it might.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I wonder if MS is glad that a PS4 version slipped through. It's probably the only reason it made any money. On PC and xbox, it was basically a free trial game.

Why would they care they didn't fund the title. FReeEEE TTRRIALS MILLIONS OF DEM.

Teslerum

MS sees exactly nothing from the PS4 version sales so, I guess they're happy about the success on it?

Look, this is the Gamepass discussion. If Downloads were high and subscriptions went up in correlation/subscribers were kept that otherwise would have left Microsoft's happy.

VertigoOA

Banned
It’s been holding strong on Xbox too. Granted gamespass is a huge factor here but ... it’s a successful new ip launch for sure.

Microsoft would be thrilled at its success on rival platforms as it increases the perceived pedigree of the studio and its games. Makes a sequel a guarantee.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Don’t forget a future where mediocre writing has the Obsidian name on the box.

Whats that you’re saying? Take your wife’s boyfriend’s cock out of your mouth before trying to speak.

I'm saying you pathetic fucks are a bunch of neckbearded manchildren. Oh no, a game that doesnt feature women that adhere to my personal beauty standards! "SJW! LESBIAN LEFTIST RESETERA GARBAGE!"

That is what morons like you look like. You claim to be better than the morons at Reeeee, yet you are exactly the same, just on the other end of the retarded spectrum.

Fuck you and your "boyfriends cock" bullshit.

If you dont know a single thing about me, don't presume to judge me you clown.

You kids are pathetic with this shit. No wonder y'all can't get no pussy.

Papa

Banned
I'm saying you pathetic fucks are a bunch of neckbearded manchildren. Oh no, a game that doesnt feature women that adhere to my personal beauty standards! "SJW! LESBIAN LEFTIST RESETERA GARBAGE!"

That is what morons like you look like. You claim to be better than the morons at Reeeee, yet you are exactly the same, just on the other end of the retarded spectrum.

hahaha don’t edit this now

Grinchy

Banned
Why would they care they didn't fund the title. FReeEEE TTRRIALS MILLIONS OF DEM.

Yeah, if I just bought a company, I wouldn't care at all how much of the public currently buys the one and only product it makes :messenger_tears_of_joy:

If people think MS didn't care at all about the sales of this game, or that it sold a lot basically only because of the PS4 version, then there's not much I can do here other than direct you to a website that sells daily safety helmets that you can velcro on before leaving the house.

Bodom78

Good to hear it's done well. I really enjoyed how it was not fully open world.

Playing again to get some missed achievements its great because you can get through it so quick once you know the game.

Teslerum

Yeah, if I just bought a company, I wouldn't care at all how much of the public currently buys the one and only product it makes :messenger_tears_of_joy:

If people think MS didn't care at all about the sales of this game, or that it sold a lot basically only because of the PS4 version, then there's not much I can do here other than direct you to a website that sells daily safety helmets that you can velcro on before leaving the house.

They don't have any money riding on it, so they (and especially their investors) definitly care a lot less than they would otherwise.

And again, this whole thing is the GamePass discussion. You're automatically discrediting everything about GamePass, but thats exactly Microsofts bed right now. They are happy with Gears 5, yet it sold naturally less in retail/digital. They will launch Halo on it.

If focusing on subscriptions turns out to be a bad idea, that's Microsofts bad. But at the moment, that is how they are measuring success.

Lanrutcon

It's been a while since we've had a good freak out on this forum. Let it all out.

MMaRsu

Banned
It's been a while since we've had a good freak out on this forum. Let it all out.

Oh that's a freak out? 😂 yeah constantly bringing up how these women dont adhere to your personal beauty standard, therefore the game and it's devs are SJW and pandering to the Reee crowd is normal right?

I guess to some morons here it is.

MMaRsu

Banned
Yeah, keep going. We used to have people blow up every second week.

Yeah instead of having a conversation, keep telling me I'm freaking out 😂. Been on this site for years bro, no need to talk down to me. But I would expect that behaviour from a child.

If you have no intention to give any arguments as to why I'm wrong, please fuck off.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Yeah instead of having a conversation, keep telling me I'm freaking out 😂. Been on this site for years bro, no need to talk down to me. But I would expect that behaviour from a child.

If you have no intention to give any arguments as to why I'm wrong, please fuck off.

Oh, you think we're having an argument. I'm not standing in your way or belittling your magnificence: I'm hoping you'll go further.

Top Bottom