• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The outrage over saying “All lives matter”

Somnium

Apr 1, 2016
art-of-vlad.com
Economic justice could possibly cover gang violence, but you'll have to wait and see on that one.
  1. What the hell does "economic justice" have to do with violent gangs murdering each other and innocent people?
  2. BLM has been around since 2015 and has amassed hundreds of millions of dollars in donations and funding, "but you'll have to wait and see on that one"

Reactions: cryptoadam

Wolvers

Jan 13, 2015
The words by themselves are reasonable enough, but the context and total non-sequitur their being used at this time constitutes has rendered the phrase idiomatic. No one right now is using #AllLivesMatter genuinely wanting to assert a wish that all lives should be treated fairly and equally. It's being used as a counter to #BlackLivesMatter and that's kinda shitty and unnecessary.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Mario Mario
Nov 12, 2016
I'm not reading all of this bullshit. I've read it 100 times over.

The narrative that black people are being unfairly hunted is bullshit. It thrives off of carefully selected instances, because the facts overwhelmingly don't support BLM. Of those carefully selected cases, more than half are still piss poor examples.

The common rebuttall to all lives matter is "we're not saying no one else matters. We are saying black lives have proven not to matter. We are protesting this". Then a snarky comparison. People say all lives matter because people of all walks of life are dying from this propaganda and are directly protesting BLM. Protestors seem to fight for the right to protest until they themselves are being protested. Then it's not fair.

Reactions: Whataborman

Relativ9

Nov 18, 2012
Narvik, Norway
The words by themselves are reasonable enough, but the context and total non-sequitur their being used at this time constitutes has rendered the phrase idiomatic. No one right now is using #AllLivesMatter genuinely wanting to assert a wish that all lives should be treated fairly and equally. It's being used as a counter to #BlackLivesMatter and that's kinda shitty and unnecessary.
I don't think everyone using #AllLivesMatter is doing so to counter or undermine #BlackLivesMatter. I'm not a twitter user or hashtag kind of guy, but if I were, and I did use #AllLivesMatter, I think I'd do it to underline how idiotic the whole #BLM movement is. It's like Joe Racist is going to go "Well I was going to go do some racist nazi shit today but I see #BLM is trending on twitter so I guess I'll fundamentally change my outlook on life and become a better person instead".

#BLM and all social media virtue signaling is not only preaching to the choir, but they're so wrapped up in the process of it all that they've become distracted away from actually getting any real (and realistic) change done to instead compete over who can preach the loudest. This, and only this is how you get nonsense ideas like defunding police departments, demanding reperations from white people, and cancelling anyone who doesn't have 9000+ points on the wokeometer.

Wolvers

Jan 13, 2015
I don't think everyone using #AllLivesMatter is doing so to counter or undermine #BlackLivesMatter
I'd do it to underline how idiotic the whole #BLM movement is.
Hmm . . . 🤔

I don't think people are saying "All Lives Matter" in good faith tbh. And even if a few were at the beginning, it's been coopted in a fairly dismissive and insensitive way.

Like if on Holocaust Memorial Day when people are remembering and some assholes started tweeting "Yeah but what about the Khmer Rouge? The Balkans? Uighur Muslims?" Like yeah they're all worth remembering and heeding too but let's give everything its deserved own time to be properly considered.

Last edited:

Relativ9

Nov 18, 2012
Narvik, Norway
Hmm . . . 🤔

I don't think people are saying "All Lives Matter" in good faith tbh. And even if a few were at the beginning, it's been coopted in a fairly dismissive and insensitive way.

Like if on Holocaust Memorial Day when people are remembering and some assholes started tweeting "Yeah but what about the Khmer Rouge? The Balkans? Uighur Muslims?" Like yeah they're all worth remembering and heeding too but let's give everything its deserved own time to be properly considered.
Yeah worded myself a bit contradictory there, so if it wasn't clear from my following point. I don't think all people are saying "#AllLivesMatter" to undermine counter or undermine the plight or suffering of black people subjected to exessive force or racism, but instead as a way to underline how idiotic the #blacklivesmatter movement/hashtag is. Don't get me wrong I do agree that there are some people who have coopted it for their own nefarious purposes, but the same can be said for virtually anything (including the George Floyd protests), doens't mean we throw the baby out with the bathwater; saying all lives matter is fundamentally a true and "good" statement, just like saying black lives matter is (though also like black lives matter, it's a completely redundant and idiotic phrase to use as a movement (which is why its a parody which highligths this)). It's like making a hashtag against global warming saying #WeNeedAirtoBreathe as if that's going to change anyones minds that profit from pollution (they already know...they don't care).

You using the Holocaust Memorial Day as an example is telling, because one is remembering and honoring victims of an attrocity that's very much in the past, and new laws and legislation aren't being passed or even considered to somehow better the plight of Holocaust survivors or to punish those responsible, we are remembering the holocaust; not fixing it. What #BLM is as movement, by everyones interpretation, is a movement for change, yet they have few to no realistic demands and their entire platform/plan seems to be to get as much attention as possible; without really knowing what to do with the attention once recieved. It's been a month and a half almost now; we're all aware...now what, give me a plan, give me a solution, give me actions the authority can take (that aren't pie in the sky crazy like defunding the police or reperations). They say there is institutional racism, but keep pointing to individuals breaking rules, procedure, and law to commit violent and possible racists acts (meaning an individual was racist and not the "system"), short of punishing the individual and being better at screening police officers there's not much more the "system" can do in a free society, but apparently even after commiting to programs and actions that would do this, it's not good enough.

I'm not saying I'm against protest, but you have to have a plan, you have to have reasonable and fair demands. Look at the sufferogettes, Ghandi, MLK, The Arab Spring, the Velvet Revolution. These movements had clear, fair and powerful demands of the sitting authorites to enact spesific change that would better their different causes, there was organization, logistics, and even detailed multi-point plans for how such changes could be enacted in realistic and impectful ways. The sufferogettes didn't run through the streets mindlessly shouting "female lives matter" they demanded something very spesific, fair, and achievable: "Votes for Women". BLM saying that black peoples lives matter is not a protest, it's stating a fact that 99% of their audience is completely on board with, there is nothing the state can give them here, there is no way to grant any of their demands because "people should be less racist" is not something a goverment can enforce.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolvers