• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.
ibvei9SsOewq5J.gif

Not a lot else that makes for fascinating gifs, is there?

I thought that was just unicorn, but looks like it has fiery wings too.

Maybe this is in World War 2 with Cobra Unit and that is Big Boss's dad in the trailer - Normal Snake, and there will be a ten year old BB kicking ass

BigBoss

So...that was Kiefer Sutherland right? Big Boss working alongside Jack Baeur is a total win no matter what happens in this game.

manfestival

I was pretty convinced that it was mgs5... especially with all the ultra drama. Which was similar to the amazing microwave room scene in mgs4. Then it became extremely dragged out which gave me more confirmation that it was MGS. Looking forward to it

Kyon

Banned
I was pretty convinced that it was mgs5... especially with all the ultra drama. Which was similar to the amazing microwave room scene in mgs4. Then it became extremely dragged out which gave me more confirmation that fit was MGS. Looking forward to it

OMFG I totally forgot about the microwave part :eek: that was iconic

mango drank

Wow, those are some impressive framerates the Vita is outputting, right guys??

I can't tell if the Vita people are joking or not. Hell, I'm having doubts PS360 is powerful enough to handle this. If this is actual in-engine footage, not a target render, then they're exploiting current-gen power close to max, and we're reaching that golden period that happens at the end of each console generation where games look totally insane.

PokéKong

A quick far-fetched but maybe plausible idea, what if it's Liquid?

+Things that would make more sense
  • Amputated arm
  • Muscle dystrophy
  • British flag
  • Psycho Mantis
  • Various animal spirits

-Things that would make less sense
  • Volgin
  • (Alleged by some) The Pain and The Fury
  • White petals
  • Other known links to the original Ground Zeros trailer

did he say that, or did he say GZ was a prequel to MGS5? see if we go by the latter it still fits o_O

Found the actual video footage for exact quotes instead of going by what Kotaku says. I am 100% confident Ground Zeroes and MGS5 are the same game now.

Here's the video. Skip to the 48ish minute mark.

So, Ground Zeroes... Was that our first look at Metal Gear Solid 5?

Kojima: *Laughs* We're not gonna say it's Five just yet. But, we are gonna say it's a prologue.

So he doesn't take quiet the hard stance the Kotaku article I linked to earlier made it sound like. He does also say it's current gen, not that that's shocking to people with eyes.

A freak with pyrokinetic abilities?
A freak with pyrokinetic abilities is able to conjure up something of that magnitude? No way - that's ridiculous even by MGS standards lol. Either he's suffering from some severe hallucinations, or the entire thing is a nightmare.
You can't possibly still have doubts with all the evidence in this thread? The only question is if it's Ground Zeroes or a separate game at this point.
Not really, just trying to say that if it's Metal Gear then the whale can't be real.

Striek

Just finished watching the VGAs, it took about 5 seconds to realise that was Snake/Ground Zeroes. The art style of the game is very distinctive, I think that clued me in even before I noticed Snakes beard/hairstyle.

A freak with pyrokinetic abilities is able to conjure up something of that magnitude? No way - that's ridiculous even by MGS standards lol. Either he's suffering from some severe hallucinations, or the entire thing is a nightmare.

Not really, just trying to say that if it's Metal Gear then the whale can't be real.

There are ghosts and mind readers and people who can summon bees and immortal flamboyant vampires.

I mean, I agree that this is probably hallucinations or something, but they've already stretched the nanomachine concept so thin I'm sure mind-fire wouldn't be out of the question.

beastmode

Found the actual video footage for exact quotes instead of going by what Kotaku says. I am 100% confident Ground Zeroes and MGS5 are the same game now.

So he doesn't take quiet the hard stance the Kotaku article I linked to earlier made it sound like. He does also say it's current gen, not that that's shocking to people with eyes.
I don't know. The stuff in this trailer seems really antithetical to a Peace Walker-like experience.

AwShucks

This is probably far fetched, but when I watched it the second time the giant whale coming over the mountain...well the mountain reminded me of the cliff that Snake was going down to get into the compound in the Ground Zeroes demo video.

Meanwhile, The Fear, The End, The Sorrow, The Fury, and The Pain exist.

GlassBox

Banned
Oh dear, a Vita game? Well, if Konami doesn't want this to sell...

I'd like the idea of a MGS side-story game focusing on some version of Snake dealing with mental trauma caused by Psycho Mantis.
It sure does look like a kid version.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I like how this went from "THAT WAS FUCKING SHIT NEXT GEN LOOKS LIKE ASS" to "KOJIMA IS A GOD" in like 2 hours.

elcapitan

1st half of the game: open-world stealth, 2nd half: linear survival-horror.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Not so sure if this idea was posted already, but considering MGS GZ is a open-world-ish sort of game, it's possible this is some kind of meta-game that you can experience while consuming a hallucinogenic mushroom within MGS: Ground Zeroes :p

I don't know. The stuff in this trailer seems really antithetical to a Peace Walker-like experience.

So? This isn't Peace Walker 2, it's Metal Gear Solid 5. Also, I think it's safe to say the majority of what we're seeing isn't real, unless there was a Metal Gear Prototype that was shaped like a giant flaming whale and Big Boss had a friend who rode around on a horse with fiery wings.

There are ghosts and mind readers and people who can summon bees and immortal flamboyant vampires.

Meanwhile, The Fear, The End, The Sorrow, The Fury, and The Pain exist.
Can any one of them conjure up 500-ft flaming whales that eat helicopters? Or anything close to that magnitude? C'mon now. As I said, it's ridiculous even by MGS standards. If anything, it could be The Sorrow, but as a hallucination.

Edit: right, Mantis too @ below

Can any one of them conjure up 500-ft flaming whales that eat helicopters? Or anything close to that magnitude? C'mon now. As I said, it's ridiculous even by MGS standards. If anything, it could be The Sorrow, but as a hallucination.

Yeah. Sorrow and Mantis could pull it off, but only in hallucinatory terms.

PsychoMantis.jpg

They're on the ground floor.

GROUND ZEROES.

Also, young mantis...
i7kIWlvCaDucF.jpg

I guess I'm starting to see it. Like if his head is tilted a little to the side? And is he holding something draped over his arms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom