• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esura

Banned
PsychoMantis.jpg

They're on the ground floor.

GROUND ZEROES.

Also, young mantis...
i7kIWlvCaDucF.jpg

I guess I'm starting to see it. Like if his head is tilted a little to the side? And is he holding something draped over his arms?

That's probably Paz with her back turned.

Would it be too out of the ballpark to think that the doctor is Dr. Madnar? I understand he had a mustache during Outer Heaven & Zanzibar Land, but this could be him. Just an idea.

Or Kio Marv?

Kyon

Banned
They're saying that because the footage looked nice and wasn't jerking around at sub 20 frames a second.

Lol Uncharted and Last Of Us for example look better imo. I just don't see what is so next gen about this. Watch_Dogs and Star Wars on the other hand.. Ch...

And even the Ground Zeroes trailer.

I'm not trying to downplay this though. I just really don't see it :(

Would it be too out of the ballpark to think that the doctor is Dr. Madnar? I understand he had a mustache during Outer Heaven & Zanzibar Land, but this could be him. Just an idea.

It would also make sense that a doctor who worked treating amputees would go on to be the guy who did early cybernetics in the MGS universe.

Lol Uncharted and Last Of Us for example look better imo. I just don't see what is so next gen about this. Watch_Dogs and Star Wars on the other hand.. Ch...

And even the Ground Zeroes trailer.

I'm not trying to downplay this though. I just really don't see it :(

Oh I agree. You just gotta realize Far Cry 3 came out and expectations are weird. Console games usually run like shit now ;_;

This is handes down the wildest trolling I have ever seen.

I seriously thought it was just another lame new IP that apes COD and Silent Hill by some new no name studio.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I love Metal Gear Solid but I fucking hate Metal Gear Solid as well. This game has been a part of me since childhood.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I applaud Kojima for his artful troll, but that trailer was downright boring.

It may not have been your thing, but I cannot fathom how you found that boring.

It's another clone, inferior in some way and subjected to experiments involving consciousness transfer, hence the loss of the arm. Now he's escaped, plagued by visions and he's out for revenge.

Squire

Banned
You guys think that's really Keifer Sutherland? I wouldn't be surprised. Kojima being a huuuuge 24 fan doesn't seem like a stretch at all.

M_A_C

Wow, those are some impressive framerates the Vita is outputting, right guys??

I can't tell if the Vita people are joking or not. Hell, I'm having doubts PS360 is powerful enough to handle this. If this is actual in-engine footage, not a target render, then they're exploiting current-gen power close to max, and we're reaching that golden period that happens at the end of each console generation where games look totally insane.

They said it was all in game on the VGA's.

Replicant

The character model looks good from what little I can see but they need to do something about the sterile, almost texture-less background. I get that is MGS trademark but at this point in this gen, it doesn't look good.

Krentist

Neo Member
PokéKong;45199274 said:
A quick far-fetched but maybe plausible idea, what if it's Liquid?

+Things that would make more sense
  • Amputated arm
  • Muscle dystrophy
  • British flag
  • Psycho Mantis
  • Various animal spirits

-Things that would make less sense
  • Volgin
  • (Alleged by some) The Pain and The Fury
  • White petals
  • Other known links to the original Ground Zeros trailer

At first I was almost sure it was Liquid Snake (lighter hair than Ground Zeroes' Big Boss, missing arm, Snake appearance), but then I remembered his amputated arm was his RIGHT arm, not his left.

Persona86

Banned
It gives me goosebumps. Like a horror vibe

I heard that Kojima would love to make a Silent Hill type game, so I'm guessing he's going to focus more on the horror of war etc in this game, unless this is just one unique part of the game.

I'm wondering if this is the "taboo" game he talked about? or will it be something else?

I am also getting the vibe that the horse is actually The Boss's horse, but as a nightmare/illusion for Big Boss. It is a white horse and so was The Boss's.

eso76

What's with his arm?! :(

Ohhhh man this fucking franchise always gets me. I love you, based Kojima!

Phantom LIMB pain.

looked glorious tbh, fox engine is great for lighting and the trailer was incredibly intense.
Boring ? fuck you guys, seriously ! :D

fightclubdoll

Neo Member
LOL ...Moby Dick Studios domain was created only 6 days ago

http://whois.domaintools.com/mobydick-studio.com

I guess this is their way of getting viral marketing done.

After all, it is the fifth game... This whole invisible writing, anagram, "phantom"/phantom limb ..."white whale" approach does make the discussion a bit more intriguing...

More than just saying, here's Metal Gears Solid 5

Instead they said, hey here's a new IP ...
and everyone paid closer attention, not just MGS fans.

This was an incredible trailer; while watching the first thing I started thinking was that it felt very reminiscent of a Kojima style trailer... then I saw the character get out of the bed and literally my first reaction was "Holy fuck, is that Snake?!" The mullet, the old man, the music, the style of the trailer, the developer... it just oozes Metal Gear.

Wow.

meta4

Wow, those are some impressive framerates the Vita is outputting, right guys??

I can't tell if the Vita people are joking or not. Hell, I'm having doubts PS360 is powerful enough to handle this. If this is actual in-engine footage, not a target render, then they're exploiting current-gen power close to max, and we're reaching that golden period that happens at the end of each console generation where games look totally insane.

TLOU looks better than this. This is most certainly console footage.

sub_o

Can someone catch me up, why are people saying this is VITA??

Also, is this confirmed to be MGS V, and a multiplat?

Apparently someone asked Shuhei Yoshida (Sony's President of Worldwide Studio) whether a Vita owner should watch VGA, he said yes.

Then Gaffers have been speculating why the hidden text is Metal Gear Solid V (Roman Numeral) rather than 5, some say that it's because it's Vita.

Nothing so far is confirmed. If all the speculations are true, then on the bottom right of http://www.mobydickstudio.se there's PS3 and 360 logo.

Angry Fork

I'm dead ass laughing @ ppl saying this is next gen.

They don't seem to have any frame of reference I don't get it.

It's obvious this is possible on current consoles. Once real next-gen footage starts being shown everyone will say 'OMG NO WAY NO THAT'S NEXT NEXT GENN!!!!!!11' these people play games all the time but still don't know how technology works.

Trailer was amazing can't wait for new news. I'm assuming this game will show how Snake/Liquid/Solidus are created/born? And maybe you get to play as them.

It says PS3 and xbox at the bottom of the moby dick studio website, I'm assuming that's what the OP title is going off of.

Will we see MGSIV come to 360? Odd that they'd give 360 gamers MGSV but not IV

Then Gaffers have been speculating why the hidden text is Metal Gear Solid V (Roman Numeral) rather than 5, some say that it's because it's Vita.

Oh, damn, nice theory.

Yeah, I'm wondering where my VITA related news is. That'd be pretty big if this was a VITA exclusive.

madhtr

LOL ...Moby Dick Studios domain was created only 6 days ago

http://whois.domaintools.com/mobydick-studio.com

I guess this is their way of getting viral marketing done.

After all, it is the fifth game... This whole invisible writing, anagram, "phantom"/phantom limb ..."white whale" approach does make the discussion a bit more intriguing...

More than just saying, here's Metal Gears Solid 5

Instead they said, hey here's a new IP ...
and everyone paid closer attention, not just MGS fans.

I decided to look up the owner.... and despite him being listed in Sweden, sure likes Japanese on his twitter, even if they rarely use it.

https://twitter.com/yophen

Kyon

Banned

Oh, damn, nice theory.

Yeah, I'm wondering where my VITA related news is. That'd be pretty big if this was a VITA exclusive.

Never gonna happen. Also Kojima already said it is a PS3 exclusive. It's not really a big deal though since 360 is getting Rising and 5 they look great!

madhtr

Oh, damn, nice theory.

It should also be noted that at the end of the trailer you hear "V has come to"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom