• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Persona86

Banned
Trailer looked very nice. I am assuming it is MGS related and Kojima was even there live at the show to add it in. I thought it was MGS:GZ. That looked like Snake. That mullet, animation, the body shape, the face, nose. Either that or a look-a-like with no shame at all. The style of it sort of feels, "Japanese" to me for some reason. Probably the flaming whale and some of the scenes. I never heard of Moby Dick Studios though. If Kojima is behind this, it will be amazing guaranteed.

Yeah looked like him, his body was similar but looked thinner, probably because of the coma?

Now I know for sure that you're trolling. Of course it's related to Metal Gear Solid. I never claimed otherwise. I also never said that it isn't related to Kojima. Here's an idea: maybe you should start acting a bit more mature and drop that elitist attitude. And stop lying. The game is most definitely related to both MGS and Kojima, but that doesn't mean that the studio is fake. Most AAA games these days are being co-developed between multiple studios: some studios do more than others. For all you know, the new studio might just be doing something small like facial animations or cut-scenes; or maybe some minor gameplay element. Or it might turn out to be fake. Who knows?

NeoGAF is no forum for trolls.
Most AAA games aren't co developed with a studio who has never made anything, with staff who have never been heard of ever. Who only put up their site a couple days ago.

Be careful where you accuse trolling. Those sort of accusations are looked down upon too

Alec

You clearly don't know what the word "troll" means. How is that trolling?

You probably already know this, but many people will resort to saying something like "stop trolling" as a way to try and turn an argument around. It's kind of like saying "Haha, that's a funny joke" but then trying to make them feel bad by saying "Wait, you were serious?"

Internet.

Well, your comparison isn't really fair because Phantom Pain looks impressive in motion too. So while you choosed to post gifs for TLOU, you just posted bad screenshots for Phantom Pain.

Last of Us = running on 6 - 7 year old hardware
MGS GZ = running on 360 or PS3 spec PC

GZ will be downgraded big time, no way will it look that good on PS3 or 360

Now I know for sure that you're trolling. Of course it's related to Metal Gear Solid. I never claimed otherwise. I also never said that it isn't related to Kojima. Here's an idea: maybe you should start acting a bit more mature and drop that elitist attitude. And stop lying. The game is most definitely related to both MGS and Kojima, but that doesn't mean that the studio is fake. Most AAA games these days are being co-developed between multiple studios: some studios do more than others. For all you know, the new studio might just be doing something small like facial animations or cut-scenes; or maybe some minor gameplay element. Or it might turn out to be fake. Who knows?

You should probably glance through the thread before posting next time, there has been a lot of discussion regarding this already. He wasn't trolling either, that isn't what trolling is.

Ooooooh snap.

New Ground Zeroes footy, didn't expect that. Plus Kojima is a genious. Keep on searching for that white whale people.

KAL2006

Banned
If this turns out to be the same game as Ground Zeroes then we only got 1 new game announcement (Dark Souls 2), I thought there were supposed to be 5, how disappointing.

Lucifon

Anyone know of any relevance of a hook to the MGS series whatsoever?

Seems odd in this era of myoelectric fully functional prosthetic hands that you'd see someone with a hook hand. Unless of course it's pointing to an alternate older time period...kinda makes me think of MGS3's setting.

Ricky_R

Now i'm a bit confused... I'm certain that this is a Kojima Metal gear game, but is it Ground Zeroes or MGS 5?? MGS 5 as in the proper sequel to MGS4 featuring Solid Snake.

Has it been discussed that this could just be part of dream sequence in Ground Zeros like in MGS3?

First thing that came into my head once I thought the character was snake.

xGoAm.jpg

Seems odd in this era of myoelectric fully functional prosthetic hands that you'd see someone with a hook hand. Unless of course it's pointing to an alternate older time period...kinda makes me think of MGS3's setting.
All the Big Boss stories take place in the 60s and 70s

KillGore

Why would Kojima release MGS this generation, that's about to end in a few months. I know it will still sell but idk....They should have made it for durango and orbis.

Just the few other characters that have had limbs removed. Ocelot, and Grey Fox being the most popular. There was always a period in the MGS universe where Big Boss was in a coma, which is when the genome project and the les enfant terribles project (Liquid, Solid, and Solidus Snake) started. This seems to take place after we wakes up from that same coma.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
My guess is "Ground Zeroes" and "The Phantom Pain" are just the names for the trailers.

Both are Metal Gear Solid 5 and the real subtitle hasn't been released yet.

JoshHood

My guess is "Ground Zeroes" and "The Phantom Pain" are just the names for the trailers.

Both are Metal Gear Solid 5 and the real subtitle hasn't been released yet.

Whether you believe Geoff or not is up to you, but he did tweet that The Phantom Pain definitely isn't a game we've already seen.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Whether you believe Geoff or not is up to you, but he did tweet that The Phantom Pain definitely isn't a game we've already seen.
yeah and keighley also said we will see 5 game announcments at VGA's right?

My first thought was "aftermath of Outer Heaven incident, dude with Kiefer voice is Gray Fox."

But Big Boss had a haircut by that point. Still stoked on the possibility of Gray Fox being in this. Double points if he actually is voiced by Kiefer Sutherland.

Rapstah

The Swedish on Moby Dick Studio's web site is bad, but the kind of bad you get from assigning a native who doesn't know much about spelling or grammar to writing it.

My opinion he is inside Sorrow illusion!
*Pictures*

The parallels are certainly striking (even if I think the picture you've showed for The Fury seems more like Volgin) and although I don't know if it is inside a "The Sorrow" illusion the possibility of it being a dream in a similar vein to that segment of Metal Gear Solid 3 certainly seems plausible.

Reposting:

This guy

A9kbvtICQAAleA9.jpg:large

is Kyle Cooper

Designer of title sequences who worked previously on MGS2 & 3, founder of Prologue films.

Moby dick studios doesn't exist.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I think we have to think what the Moby Dick (the novel) story has to be with Kojima and MGS. Maybe it has another hidden meaning

One last hunt. Kojima probably foolishly hoping this can actually be his last MGS game and kill the whale he just cant seem to leave alone.

yurinka

One last hunt. Kojima probably foolishly hoping this can actually be his last MGS game.
Bingo.

And Joakim Mogren = Kojima Ogre. That's project Ogre.
I think, remembering his recent words about he wasn't to be known as the MGS guy, that he made this video to see what it would be the game reception if people didn't know that it was a MGS and a game made by him

yurinka

But Ground Zeroes is current-gen...so if Phantom Pain is next-gen, they can't be the same game. Also, Geoff said it is something that hadn't been announced yet.

Who knows.
I think they are separated games:
MGS Ground Zeroes (PS3, 360) video running in a PC.
MGSV Phantom Pain a.k.a. Project Ogre (PS4, 720) video running in-game pre-alpha stuff.

Balert

Neo Member
Captain Boomer in Moby Dick lost an arm to the whale which was replaced by a prosthetic limb (whale bone if I recall correctly). Might explain the hook-armed Boss, flaming whale, and Moby Dick developer name. Just maybe.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Is there a chance that Ground Zeroes could be a small scale downloadable title to close out this generation, intended as a prequel to "MGSV", intended mostly to get all the scrubs that chose to ignore Peace Walker up to speed, and put Big Boss into a coma and chop off his fucking arm. Ground Zeroes would essentially be a trailer for MGSV, but in game form.

FStop7

Banned
Guys I ate too many hot wings and had the craziest dream last night that Kojima emigrated to Sweden and stealth unveiled MGS5 in the form of some crazy ass trailer for what appeared to be for another game entirely from a fake studio and there were flaming horses, giant flaming whales eating helicopters, and scary military dudes shooting up some kind of hospital.

Alec

are people still debating whether or not this is MGS5?

The title with the missing portions of the letters proves it.

I think that debate has been sufficiently beaten out of people by this point.

I think they are separated games:
MGS Ground Zeroes (PS3, 360) video running in a PC.
MGSV Phantom Pain a.k.a. Project Ogre (PS4, 720) video running in-game pre-alpha stuff.

I am leaning towards this belief, as well.

Is there a chance that Ground Zeroes could be a small scale downloadable title to close out this generation, intended as a prequel to "MGSV", intended mostly to get all the scrubs that chose to ignore Peace Walker up to speed, and put Big Boss into a coma and chop off his fucking arm. Ground Zeroes would essentially be a trailer for MGSV, but in game form.

This would be rad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom