• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technically he's never worked for KojPro, but close enough. This is one of those things where it would make sense if it was MGS because he's worked on it before, but isn't evidence by itself because there is no exclusive deal he's got with KojPro where he'll only work for them. Dude IS for hire if somebody else wants him on a game.

A new unknown software house from Sweden has a reveal at the VGAs, with very obvious MGS cross-references. No publisher is named. In attendance from that moby dick is a venice beach located hollywood title sequence designer, who has famously worked for MGS2 and 3, and those two games only. After the show, the moby dick crew goes to Konami's lobby.

Sounds like a far fetched conspiracy to me.

I wanna see you in this thread after the reveal that it's MGS, dude.

DrBo42

A new unknown software house from Sweden has a reveal at the VGAs, with very obvious MGS cross-references. No publisher is named. In attendance from that moby dick is a venice beach located hollywood title sequence designer, who has famously worked for MGS2 and 3, and those two games only. After the show, the moby dick crew goes to Konami's lobby.

Sounds like a far fetched conspiracy to me.

I wanna see you in this thread after the reveal that it's MGS, dude.

Listen to this man. It's MGS5 guys. You're out of your fucking mind if you think otherwise.

If this isn't MGS related KojiPro should hire the Moby Dick guys as their new PR.

KojiPro should sue those pesky swedes for stealing their schtick.
xSM17.gif

I'm guessing all you people are the ones getting trolled and this is in fact a whole new game that just uses a Snake look alike for the reveal trailer, Kojima style.

Rapstah

I will almost bet you money that the next MGS trailer starts with Hayter grunting Moby Dick... the White Whale, huh...? over a black background.

Persona86

Banned
What's going on in this thread, first some people thought this would be able to run on VITA, and now people think it's not related to MGS/Fox Engine or Kojima.

Why ThoseDeafMutes don't want it to be a MGS game and it's acting desperately to hide all the evidences?

It's because I'm on Kojima's payroll, and he's upset that the secret was figured out too quickly. It's my job to try and cover it all up.

After the show, the moby dick crew goes to Konami's lobby.

Oh look, something else I didn't know. Tell you what, if you want to compile all of this stuff that has come up since the OP was written, I'll edit it into the OP for you when I wake up tomorrow morning (it's 1:50am right now local time).

It's because I'm on Kojima's payroll, and he's upset that the secret was figured out too quickly. It's my job to try and cover it all up.

Oh look, something else I didn't know. Tell you what, if you want to compile all of this stuff that has come up since the OP was written, I'll edit it into the OP for you when I wake up tomorrow morning (it's 1:50am right now local time).

Alright, come to this post for reference

alexrubensalexrubensodmjhq.png

The person on the right is Kyle Cooper, a noted title sequences designer who worked on MGS2 & 3.

"Besides the account given in the manual for Metal Gear 2, a call to George Kesler during the final battle mentioned a rumor that Big Boss lost his eye during the battle in Outer Heaven, alongside his limbs and his right ear before he was reconstructed as a cyborg under the Snatcher Project, referring to an earlier work by Hideo Kojima. In addition, although Kesler implied that Big Boss's supposed cyborg status made him invincible to Snake's abilities and attacks, Snake managed to finish him off with a flamethrower. This account was also included in the Metal Gear Solid 4 Database, and the novelization for Metal Gear Solid 4 by Project Itoh."

Psycho Mantis/The Sorrow doll lookalike.

2222222bmqu7.png

Same soldiers as Ground Zeroes

001gfa.jpg

Looks like a metal gear tie in of some sort. And the whole like 2 games thing is classic Kojima. I mean seriously... who could think otherwise?

I think it is Kojima being a troll and this is Metal Gear related. Either Snake actually does get hurt and put in a hospital of some sort...or this is all part of a Psycho Mantis boss fight. Lol. Looked like a young Mantis floating at the end. Same weird pose.

SJRB

Gold Member
I think it is Kojima being a troll and this is Metal Gear related. Either Snake actually does get hurt and put in a hospital of some sort...or this is all part of a Psycho Mantis boss fight. Lol. Looked like a young Mantis floating at the end. Same weird pose.

..and I'd be totally okay with either one of those options.

Kojima is a boss.

Emily Chu

Banned
huge MGS fan but that trailer reminded me of alot of whiz bang bullshit and quicktimey, stilted movements and trying too hard to be cinematic pretty much in every generic GRITTY hardline action adventures out there...

fuck off uncharted and every game that tried to copy it...

trailer was horrible

jenkem or kojima WTF MAN....

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Awesome trailer.

Convinced it's MGS5/Ground Zeroes and not a separate game- worrying that people are thinking that. I do think it could be pretty damn similar to Tanker/Plant in MGS2- two different stories.

I'd say this is the "sequel" or second half. Big Boss has been fucked up by the guy from the Ground Zeroes trailer/Snake or Volgin and now he's trying to fight back a little.

So much EXCITE.

jett

D-Member
So by the time this/GZ release it will be at least 5 years since mgs4 was released?
Doesn't seem unreasonable to me that they've been working on two separate games in that amount of time

You forget they worked on a failed version of Metal Gear Rising for two years, and there's the PSP games as well.

Peace Walker was also a big project as Kojima stated his team was as big for it as the one for MGS4.

Sure, but undoubtedly it's just not as big a game. Also, comic book cut-scenes. :p

Kraftwerk

I'm not too good in the MGS timeline, so correct me if I'm wrong.

I think that is Big Boss after the events of MGS3. Some shit went down and he went in a coma, lost an arm etc. It is never said that he did NOT lose an arm, and this is Kojima....

The Psycho Mantis kid comes with a group of soldiers to capture him, and he uses his mindfuck powers to fuck with Big Boss. Would explain the flashbacks of his recent past i.e Volgin burning, Boss and her horse burning.

Whatever it is, I am hyped as fuck.

jett

D-Member

I think that is Big Boss after the events of MGS3. Some shit went down and he went in a coma, lost an arm etc. It is never said that he did NOT lose an arm, and this is Kojima....

The Psycho Mantis kid comes with a group of soldiers to capture him, and he uses his mindfuck powers to fuck with Big Boss. Would explain the flashbacks of his recent past i.e Volgin burning, Boss and her horse burning.

It takes place after Piss Wanker.

grebby

Goddamnit. This is so cool. Even if this was a completely new thing (Not MGS) I would be totally cool with that. Trailer looked pretty damn cool, I like how wacky and different it is.

But yeah, it's pretty clear this is Ground Zeroes.

I'm just going to say I'm really fucking excited. I seriously need to meet Kojima one day and shake his hand.

whyman

So is this MGS 5 or Ground Zeroes? That its an MGS game im 100% sure on but i do think this could be something else than GZ. Also Moby Dick studios is some amazing trolling.

He hadn't lost an arm by Peace Walker which was 1974. Ten years after Operation Snake Eater (MGS3)

Oemenia

Banned
Sure, but undoubtedly it's just not as big a game. Also, comic book cut-scenes. :p
Yeah they definitely made it in a much shorter time but it also hows Kojima being a much better producer since its a project that in many ways is far more successful than MGS4.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The more I look at stuff from this the more I think that GZ and Phantom Pain have to be the same game. The character model for Snake is almost 100% the same and the fact that the Moby Dick site has PS3/360 logos on it makes it seem like it's also coming to current gen. I also just don't see them teasing MGS5 until after GZ is out or them releasing two games in a short time frame, especially when this generation is coming to an end. Maybe plans changed from having them be separate games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom