• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it. Is Ground Zero Metal Gear Solid 5 or it's Phantom Pain? Or there's 2 games and they are ALREADY showing the next one after Ground Zero? Kojima pulling a Squaresoft on us?

Phantom Pain is 'Metal Gear Solid V'
GZ is GZ, we don't know if it's also 'Metal Gear Solid V'

They could both be the same game or one could be GZ, the prologue to 'Metal Gear Solid V', two different games.

Omikaru

Nice find. Then MGS: GZ comes out next fall and at next years VGA´s we get to see the phantom pain again and its MGS5.

I don't think Ground Zeroes is actually a game at this point. I'm guessing that it's like a Tanker/Virtuous Mission scenario to the larger Plant/Operation Snake Eater scenario, both of which will make up MGS5. Though I don't think that's necessarily going to be Phantom Pain per-se; I still think that's some sort of hallucination, and a metaphor to Big Boss's transformation from the man at the end of Peace Walker to the man in Metal Gear 1.

I expect we may see some more Kojima-esque mind-fuckery before they lift the lid off of MGS5 proper, and we see all these different bits come together to make one game.

Angry Fork

It's obviously connected to MGS I don't know what deafmutes is thinking, not all mods have to play devils advocate all the time lol. All you have to do is look at how the trailer is cut and compare it to MGS4/Ground Zeroes trailers. You don't even have to look at the content of the trailer but that gives it away more.

But I think it's too far to say it's the same game as Ground Zeroes though, I'd wait and see on that.

Is there some hope that MGSV will feature Solid Snake, yes or no?

yes definitely imo. I would not be surprised if the story shows the cloning process that created Solid/Liquid/Solidus and will allow you to play as one of them. This is basically the last prequel Kojima could do unless he does one focusing on the boss.

XOMTOR

Can't believe I'm getting in on all this but here's another tinfoil hat theory incoming. The soldiers in the Phantom Pain video seem to be wearing strikingly similar fatigues/pants as those in the GZ trailer.

MGS_Phantom%2520Pain.jpg

lefantome

Anybody good at CSS/javascript?

just found this:

view-source:http://www.mobydickstudio.se/en/watch-trailer/
<link rel='stylesheet' id='NextGEN-css' href='http://www.mobydickstudio.se/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/css/nggallery.css?ver=1.0.0' type='text/css' media='screen' />

<script type='text/javascript' src='http://www.mobydickstudio.se/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/js/jquery.cycle.all.min.js?ver=2.9995'></script>
<script type='text/javascript' src='http://www.mobydickstudio.se/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/js/ngg.slideshow.min.js?ver=1.06'></script>

whyman

So if this isnt MGS there is only a few Joakim Mogren living in Sweden.

First one lives about 3 hours car ride from Stockholm were the website says the studio is located.

Second one 5 hours.

Third one about 2 and a half hours. It could have been this guy only that he is 22.

All this is public information in Sweden so dont worry about that.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I don't get it. Is Ground Zero Metal Gear Solid 5 or it's Phantom Pain? Or there's 2 games and they are ALREADY showing the next one after Ground Zero? Kojima pulling a Squaresoft on us?

Neither Phantom Pain nor Ground Zeroes (if they are indeed separate games) necessarily have to be MGS5. Kojima said Ground Zeroes would be a prelude to MGS5. Phantom Pains could be the same.

Metal Gear Solid 5 could very well be a Solid Snake remake of MG1/MG2.

Sub_Level

Can't believe I'm getting in on all this but here's another tinfoil hat theory incoming.

This is a series of videogames where the Darpa Chief turned out to be...well, you know. I explicitly remember people theorizing that before MGS4.

There is no tinfoil hat when it comes to Metal Gear Solid.

jett

D-Member
It isn't, so please stop.

Yeah it is, KojiPro doesn't have the resources to develop two games of this kind at once. Hell, they're "outsourcing" multiplayer to their new LA studio. I see some people jumping through hoops for absolutely no reason trying to find reasons why it would be two games. I saw someone saying that "Ground Zeroes" will be a small, downloadable game. Others that it will be a prologue sequence to the full game. The next Metal Gear game was described as a massive open world game taking place in several locations around the world. It's not small, it's not a spinoff, it's fucking MGS5, from the start it has always been that. And this Phantom Pain trailer is part of it. It uses the same freaking assets FFS. This thread is worse than the original Carnival of Stupid.

Sub_Level

The next Metal Gear game was described as a massive open world game taking place in several locations around the world. It's not small, it's not a spinoff, it's fucking MGS5\.

People thought Peace Walker was MGS5 as well.

Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes are not confirmed as Metal Gear Solid 5 yet.

Kojima Pro DOES have the resources to make this game(s) and then move on to proper MGS5.

jett

D-Member
People thought Peace Walker was MGS5 as well.

Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes are not confirmed as Metal Gear Solid 5 yet.

Kojima Pro DOES have the resources to make this game(s) and then move on to proper MGS5.

This forum is unbelievable sometimes. The negative space in the PP logo makes it clear this is MGS5.

The more I look at stuff from this the more I think that GZ and Phantom Pain have to be the same game. The character model for Snake is almost 100% the same and the fact that the Moby Dick site has PS3/360 logos on it makes it seem like it's also coming to current gen. I also just don't see them teasing MGS5 until after GZ is out or them releasing two games in a short time frame, especially when this generation is coming to an end. Maybe plans changed from having them be separate games.

RoboPlato i agree with you, most likely it's just the mind control from psycho mantis. If you compare the segment where the one patient is crouch running and compare it to the mgs ground zeroes trailer crouch run, they seem to have some resemblance. I would say it is the same engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom