• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it is, KojiPro doesn't have the resources to develop two games of this kind at once. Hell, they're "outsourcing" multiplayer to their new LA studio. I see some people jumping through hoops for absolutely no reason trying to find reasons why it would be two games. I saw someone saying that "Ground Zeroes" will be a small, downloadable game. Others that it will be a prologue sequence to the full game. The next Metal Gear game was described as a massive open world game taking place in several locations around the world. It's not small, it's not a spinoff, it's fucking MGS5, from the start it has always been that. And this Phantom Pain trailer is part of it. It uses the same freaking assets FFS. This thread is worse than the original Carnival of Stupid.

I don't even play MGS games and it's apparent that Jett here is on the money. C'mon, Moby Dick Studios? Chasing the white whale? It seems like a pretty obvious effort to drum up excitement among fans by exploiting their existing schema regarding game reveals to lure them into a chase of mystery and suspense, at the end of which will be MGS5 (or whatever it's called then).

Piers

The Fox Engine does sort of give away that it's a Metal Gear game, on top of the grey (but apparently brown!) beard. But in a good way!

Most surprising is the development at the hands of a Swedish studio though.

Most surprising is the development at the hands of a Swedish studio though.

It's not really hard to start a fake business. That could very well be part of the ploy, unless KojiPro is expanding. I'm not sure Konami would really let one of its remaining big franchises be handled exclusively by a non-native developer. MGS hasn't hit SH levels of disregard yet.

XOMTOR

This is a series of videogames where the Darpa Chief turned out to be...well, you know. I explicitly remember people theorizing that before MGS4.

There is no tinfoil hat when it comes to Metal Gear Solid.

Good point. Damn hat was uncomfortable anyway.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Friggin' Kojima man.
His cinematography direction is way way way waaaaaaaaaay ahead of anybody else.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This forum is unbelievable sometimes. The negative space in the PP logo makes it clear this is MGS5.

The logo means nothing.

164819-mgs.jpg

It's not hard to accept that as of right now, we're not sure if the FOX Phantom game is MGS5 or a prelude to MGS5.

jett

D-Member
will mgs6 be called Attack of the Big Boss Clones?

What did you think MGS1, MGS2 and MGS4 were?

The logo means nothing.

164819-mgs.jpg

It's not hard to accept that as of right now, we're not sure if the FOX Phantom game is MGS5 or a prelude to MGS5.

That was never shown to the public, it was an internal logo during pre-production of the game at KP. It's a big friggin difference. Just stahp. Pls.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Why can't Kojima just stop being so annoying with this? God.

This is very much the opposite of annoying.

The logo means nothing.

164819-mgs.jpg

This means nothing, considering The Plant chapter in MGS2 was originally called MGS3.

Maybe they are. Ground Zeroes could be the prologue chapter of MGS5 and MGS fans have been trolled successfully by Kojima yet again. :p

It would basically be what Kojima WANTED to do back when MGS2 was being made.

ekim

Huh? You can see teh jaggies pretty clearly.

The Vita thing is a joke. :p
Jaggies, yeah. But just look at the textures and general fidelity + the frame rate.

Btw: some people claimed that this could run on a vita earlier in that thread ;)

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Stayed up to watch this last night, long enough to see this thread develop.

I have to say, Kojima, you magnificent bastard!

Scarecrow

I'm betting this is just a section from GZ. Kind of like that dream sequence in MGS3, except this will actually be related to the main game.

Sub_Level

This means nothing, considering The Plant chapter in MGS2 was originally called MGS3.

So then how does this cement Phantom Pains as MGS5? You guys saying that the Peace Walker logo doesn't matter are arguing my point.

The Metal Gear Solid V text in the logo does not necessarily make Phantom Pains MGS5, just like Peace Walker was not MGS5 and The Plant Chapter was not MGS III.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
So then how does this cement Phantom Pains as MGS5? You guys saying that the Peace Walker logo doesn't matter are arguing my point.

The Metal Gear Solid V text in the logo does not necessarily make Phantom Pains MGS5, just like Peace Walker was not MGS5 and The Plant Chapter was not MGS III.
Omfg.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Because neither the plant chapter as MGS3, or PW as MGS5 were ever shown in promo material to the public. Phantom Pain straight up has the words "METAL GEAR SOLID V" hidden in the title.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
-Huge graphical downgrade from GZ(or just the what poor consoles version can do with Fox engine)
-Bad animations.
-Trailer feel like it's very scripted with minimal input from the player(maybe it's just that section).
-Trying way to hard and fail too much (in almost everything).
-Total Recall like anamorphic lens flares all over the place and it's annoying as all hell.
-If it was new IP with no MGS connections instead of MGS5 I doubt I'll even care about the trailer at all.

yurinka

If the public video of Phantom Pains says it's MGSV on the trailer logo, then this game is MGSV.
Why it is so hard?

MGS5 logo for Peace Walker was something internal from when the game was in pre-production and never was officially announced as MGS5, they removed the MGS5 part before making it public.

same type of soldier in GZ trailer and Phantom Pain Trailer

001gfa.jpg

Wait? So, could the attack on the hospital be where the troops and scarred man be going to when they left in the choppers in the GZ trailer?

Could the Snake we saw last night be Solid Snake? Or Solidus?

thetrin

-Huge graphical downgrade from GZ(or just the what poor consoles version can do with Fox engine)
-Bad animations.
-Trailer feel like it's very scripted with minimal input from the player(maybe it's just that section).
-Trying way to hard and fail too much (in almost everything).
-Total Recall like anamorphic lens flares all over the place and it's annoying as all hell.
-If it was new IP with no MGS connections instead of MGS5 I doubt I'll even care about the trailer at all.

Man, you must be a blast at parties.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
People need to get it through their heads that this is what the next-gen is going to be like: The same as this gen mechanically and conceptually but with improved shaders, textures and general detail.

i.e. like a PC version of a high-end current gen console property.

The ceiling has pretty much been hit because going beyond is so manpower expensive that its simply not financial viable.

No doubt everything shown in that trailer is scalable downwards, albeit with a loss of visual fidelity. Objectively that teaser was mainly an exercise in showing off Fox engine's high-end lighting and shader tech,, stuff that's really impressive looking but not impactful to the actual gameplay aspect, which frankly was no more ambitious than what Kojipro was doing in the PS2 era.

It probably is just MGS5, after all Kojima wants to kill off snake, and what's a better model for going down in a blaze of madness and glory than Captain Ahab. Lets not forget Ahab pursues his white whale out of vengeance for taking his leg, the phantom pain obviously refers to "ghost" sensations amputees often report feeling from missing limbs.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Wait? So, could the attack on the hospital be where the troops and scarred man be going to when they left in the choppers in the GZ trailer?

Could the Snake we saw last night be Solid Snake? Or Solidus?
Again, the soldiers in the hospital that Snake sees are not real.

Check the scene in the hallway where Snake is surrounded by people and suddenly those soldiers start shooting. Everyone dies and gets hit by bullets but not Snake.

Sub_Level

If the public video of Phantom Pains says it's MGSV on the trailer logo, then this game is MGSV.
Why it is so hard?

- Kojima says that Ground Zeroes is a prologue to MGS5
- Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pains could be the same game
- Phantom Pains by extension is a prologue to MGS5
- The logo could reflect that fact

I don't really know why you guys are so adamant that it's 100% MGS5. I'm just speculating a possibility.

Yeah it is, KojiPro doesn't have the resources to develop two games of this kind at once. Hell, they're "outsourcing" multiplayer to their new LA studio. I see some people jumping through hoops for absolutely no reason trying to find reasons why it would be two games. I saw someone saying that "Ground Zeroes" will be a small, downloadable game. Others that it will be a prologue sequence to the full game. The next Metal Gear game was described as a massive open world game taking place in several locations around the world. It's not small, it's not a spinoff, it's fucking MGS5, from the start it has always been that. And this Phantom Pain trailer is part of it. It uses the same freaking assets FFS. This thread is worse than the original Carnival of Stupid.

Everyone please read this 100 times and beat it into your brain.

Project Ogre is Ground Zeroes is Phantom Pain is MGS5.

Tomodachi

Again, the soldiers in the hospital that Snake sees are not real.

Check the scene in the hallway where Snake is surrounded by people and suddenly those soldiers start shooting. Everyone dies and gets hit by bullets but not Snake.
The very last soldier could be real though. The one (together with psycho mantis/the sorrow/whoever it is lingering in the hair) who finds Snake after the psychotic breakdown he seems to be having? Or maybe that's an hallucination too of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom