• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's an extremely accurate prediction of what the next gen (and future gens) are going to look like. Budgets can't climb much higher than the astronomical level they're at, so we're limited to whatever the developers can muster with $20 million in their pockets.

Didn't you see that interview? Kojima even said he doesn't like being called "The Metal Gear Guy." He wants to make new IPs, but the Metal Gear brand name is just too strong. So he's going to incorporate elements and ideas he would have saved for new IPs...and put them under the Metal Gear brandname.

No, a lot of things are actually cheaper to do on high-end PC/next-gen: lighting is becoming ever-more automated. No need to bake lightmaps, no need for lighting artists to waste time "faking" anything. You got real-time global illumination, real-time ambient occlusion, volumetric fog, emissive-particles, physics on particles, more processing power so much easier to build stuff re-using assets rather than merging them together (no need to make a bookshelf with the books in it, just make the shelf, and grab the same books you use anywhere else to fill it up), etc. Not even mentioning how you can build cities or forests/landscapes MUCH faster than before. A few clicks and you can basically end up with a new forest, with all the rocks, trees, plants, placed where they should logically be, and everything looking amazing. You can make clothing that automatically fits on characters of various sizes rather than having to make specific clothing for each characters, etc. The concept of "textures" is going to go out the window, and instead the creation of physical materials will be introduced. Well made materials can be re-used in any game made with the same engine, unlike mere textures as they have been done which are usually too game-specific, reducing the production costs/time again. If you make a realistic steel material, there is no reason not to re-use it on another game made with the same engine, be it a sequel or another title outright. This wasn't really possible before.

Most people have no idea what more processing power and memory truly implies.

He should be way older and he dosn't look like he was patched with multiple parts of dead bodies....

Agree, but there's been worse inconsistencies in the series. It could also still be a pre-MG1 game. Part of this game seems like its just Zero fucking with Big Boss which in turn turns Big Boss into the evil villain we see in MG1/2.

The way this trailer was it could be pretty much anything at this point. But I love speculation. :)

I just love that this trailer was for MGS5. I don't think it really hit me the way it would've if they had straight out said it was MGS5 at the end. I think I would have been twice as excited, because this game looks like it could play completely differently than any MGS game before.

Persona86

Banned
-Huge graphical downgrade from GZ(or just the what poor consoles version can do with Fox engine)
-Bad animations.
-Trailer feel like it's very scripted with minimal input from the player(maybe it's just that section).
-Trying way to hard and fail too much (in almost everything).
-Total Recall like anamorphic lens flares all over the place and it's annoying as all hell.
-If it was new IP with no MGS connections instead of MGS5 I doubt I'll even care about the trailer at all.

-blah
-bleh
-burp
-blah
-bluh

Izick

-blah
-bleh
-burp
-blah
-bluh

Pretty much.

It's just a fucking trailer. Not even that, it's not even a trailer really, it's a trailer for a fake game, for a fake studio, used to build hype for a real game, that may or may not have already been announced already. I'm going to wait and see what the actual gameplay looks like for this new MGS, or see if Kojima says this was for GZ or what.

Angry Fork

-Huge graphical downgrade from GZ(or just the what poor consoles version can do with Fox engine)
-Bad animations.
-Trailer feel like it's very scripted with minimal input from the player(maybe it's just that section).
-Trying way to hard and fail too much (in almost everything).
-Total Recall like anamorphic lens flares all over the place and it's annoying as all hell.
-If it was new IP with no MGS connections instead of MGS5 I doubt I'll even care about the trailer at all.

Totobeni
A blind dancing ho

soultron

Banned
Am I the only one thinking this ain't coming out on PS360? If it's not coming out next year at the latest - and if next gen stuff is announced for holiday 2013 or spring 2014 - there's almost no point.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Am I the only one thinking this ain't coming out on PS360? If it's not coming out next year at the latest - and if next gen stuff is announced for holiday 2013 or spring 2014 - there's almost no point.

It's already confirmed MGS: GZ/PP/5 will come out for 360, PS3 and maybe PC.

I brought this up last night. But, If you actually watch the video from PAX that that article is talking about, it's not really the hard answer it would lead you to believe. They are the same game.

Original Post:

Found the actual video footage for exact quotes instead of going by what Kotaku says. I am 100% confident Ground Zeroes and MGS5 are the same game now.

Here's the video. Skip to the 48ish minute mark.

So, Ground Zeroes... Was that our first look at Metal Gear Solid 5?

Kojima: *Laughs* We're not gonna say it's Five just yet. But, we are gonna say it's a prologue.

So he doesn't take quiet the hard stance the Kotaku article I linked to earlier made it sound like. He does also say it's current gen, not that that's shocking to people with eyes.

If it's not a new MGS it at least has to be a new Kojima joint. The overly dramatic content and the constant flashes of questions between scenes reeks of the guy. I was sitting there watching it and I was like..."okay...I get it. The character is confused and has questions."

Only Kojima is that unsubtle and overwrought.

Persona86

Banned

No and it's been debated to death already, and 24 hours hasn't even passed yet.

But I can see a cross platform being possible, a current gen and next gen version. e.g Zelda Twilight Princess. Who knows, only time will tell.

braves01

Banned

But Vita is next gen? So it is coming out on a next gen platform. Metal Gear Solid V(ita)

I brought this up last night. But, If you actually watch the video from PAX that that article is talking about, it's not really the hard answer it would lead you to believe. They are the same game.

Original Post:

Found the actual video footage for exact quotes instead of going by what Kotaku says. I am 100% confident Ground Zeroes and MGS5 are the same game now.

Here's the video. Skip to the 48ish minute mark.

So he doesn't take quiet the hard stance the Kotaku article I linked to earlier made it sound like. He does also say it's current gen, not that that's shocking to people with eyes.

He does take a hard stance here though (reposting from a few pages earlier):

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/09/03/project-ogre-is-not-metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes
"While I am happy to know people liked "MGS Ground Zeroes", I'm sick & tired of people keep asking me like "is that project Ogre?" here in Seattle everyday," he wrote.

"Project Ogre is what the project that Ogre appears. Ogre does not appear in "MGS Ground Zeroes" trailer."

And I think we're pretty sure Phantom Pain is Project Ogre due to the whole Joakim mOGREn name.

He should be way older and he dosn't look like he was patched with multiple parts of dead bodies....

Could be a temp head design, a bit like how the MGS4 teaser used MGS3 Snake, MGS 3D used Peace Walker design. It depends how far in they are and what this represents. The early Fox engine screens seemed to show Big Boss with a ponytail (and two arms),

This whole thing has been one of the most memorable events in recent gaming history. Watching the trailer live and recognizing that mullet immediately, followed by watching all this detective shit play out. All of it has been extremely entertaining and pretty hilarious to follow.

"Project Ogre is what the project that Ogre appears. Ogre does not appear in MGS Ground Zeroes trailer"

What a troll lol.

Yeah, that was my thought as well. In no way does that strike me as hard proof that this (MGS5) and Ground Zeroes aren't the same product. Whether it is his Project Ogre or not, I don't know or really give a shit. But, I think MGS5 and GZ are the same thing.

Yeah, that was my thought as well. In no way does that strike me as hard proof that this (MGS5) and Ground Zeroes aren't the same product. Whether it is his Project Ogre or not, I don't know or really give a shit. But, I think MGS5 and GZ are the same thing.

I accept it's not hard proof and is not even written coherently, but I'm sticking to it being two games. Not sure why they'd announce another so early, but if we're to take the trailer as being representative of the game, it's a very different one.

Radec

58Va5.jpg

This whole thing has been one of the most memorable events in recent gaming history. Watching the trailer live and recognizing that mullet immediately, followed by watching all this detective shit play out. All of it has been extremely entertaining and pretty hilarious to follow.

True, but I think the impact of the trailer would have been so much stronger had it straight out said "METAL GEAR SOLID V" at the end. People have been focusing on similarities to Metal Gear, but what excites me about this game is how different the gameplay could be. Seems like you're playing a helpless Snake, who has been physically tortured or weakened, and now is being psychologically tortured. Traditionally in MGS games this sort of stuff happens at the END of those games, but the fact that the game seems to be starting off from that point (and the fact that the gameplay seems to be based around Snake being weakened/tortured and not just window dressing) makes me really excited to see what this game actually is.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
a0tH7.gif

You gotta at least source this shit.

EDIT: Never mind, I'm guessing that's a photoshop. The logos don't look right in that lighting.

It's a photoshop of this:

jVszU.jpg

True, but I think the impact of the trailer would have been so much stronger had it straight out said "METAL GEAR SOLID V" at the end. People have been focusing on similarities to Metal Gear, but what excites me about this game is how different the gameplay could be. Seems like you're playing a helpless Snake, who has been physically tortured or weakened, and now is being psychologically tortured. Traditionally in MGS games this sort of stuff happens at the END of those games, but the fact that the game seems to be starting off from that point (and the fact that the gameplay seems to be based around Snake being weakened/tortured and not just window dressing) makes me really excited to see what this game actually is.

If it had been a straight up MGS5 trailer it would miss the point. Kojima is obviously pulling some MGS2 level trickery again, there's a reason for the trailers we've received so far, and if it's anything like mgs2 era trailers they're a direct tie in to the game itself, even if some of the scenes we see never take place within the game.

Stuff like this is the reason why i'm such a Kojima fan, he breaks the 4th wall in a very meaningful way.

I accept it's not hard proof and is not even written coherently, but I'm sticking to it being two games. Not sure why they'd announce another so early, but if we're to take the trailer as being representative of the game, it's a very different one.

I absolutely wouldn't do that. There was crazy shit going on in that video that I think is obviously not representing the majority of whatever game it is. Only time will tell I suppose, but as of now I think the safest bet is MGS5 and Ground Zeroes are the same game.

Hasn't every major Metal Gear Solid had a pretty big delay? I dread the thought of them working on two at the same time. They'll be forced to go next gen in the end.

I kinda wish we never discovered this.

We play GZ for 4-5 hours the credits sequence starts but seconds later The Phantom Pain logo appears and a new game starts. Then we realize that both titles were the same game.

I would scream like a schoolgirl.

Prologue Films = Kyle Cooper

Kyle Cooper is the titles sequence creator of MGS2 and MGS3, in case ppl don't know.

Just watched the trailer. Good god, that had me on the edge of my seat. It would be frightening to be in that kind of situation.

The animation is top notch. It allows you to really develop a sense for the weight in characters and objects.

Hasn't every major Metal Gear Solid had a pretty big delay? I dread the thought of them working on two at the same time. They'll be forced to go next gen in the end.

That may be the case.
They announced 2 MGS games on the same day by the same studio at E32009. Obviously that didn't turn out so good for one of them, but Peace Walker only took them a year to stick together, and Ground Zeroes looks like a straight plot-wise and concept-wise sequel to that.

Because he's not (obv) a member of the dev team, he was there as Prologue.
I'm not really following.

All evidence points to MGS, but that info doesn't prove that it's MGS, just that a guy who worked on a couple MGS title sequences worked on the logo/trailer/whatever.

The cut-out letters, game engine similarities and suspicious Konami wrap party are much stronger pieces of evidence, and the cut-out letters in the logo is the hardest direct piece of evidence, instead of circumstantial, imo.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
MGS 5 will come out sooner than you think.

1. Kojima said it won't take too long until it gets released.

2. This trailer already had english voices

~Kinggi~

Banned
MGS 5 will come out sooner than you think.

1. Kojima said it won't take too long until it gets released.

2. This trailer already had english voices

Yeah if devs are planning to hit on a ps3/360 release. I could see all games they are working on to be released next year before the fall.

Grief.exe

Questions for you metal gear experts.

I rewatched the GZ trailer and have been reading about the phantom pain trailer.

Can someone explain what is going on in the GZ trailer? Is the boy shown a young solid snake? He does have some similar facial features?
Is the snake that is infiltrating Big Boss? Who is the ugly guy and why does he have a backwards fox emblem? Why is snake wearing a similar emblem? Can you guys explain this please?

And I read that Big Boss was in a comma for a while and that the 3 sons of the boss were cloned while he was in a comma. Was the relation to Phantom Pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom