• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izick

I still don't rule out the possibility of a multi-generation release for both GZ and 5, or at least one of those.

Questions for you metal gear experts.

I rewatched the GZ trailer and have been reading about the phantom pain trailer.

Can someone explain what is going on in the GZ trailer? Is the boy shown a young solid snake? He does have some similar facial features?
Is the snake that is infiltrating Big Boss? Who is the ugly guy and why does he have a backwards fox emblem? Why is snake wearing a similar emblem? Can you guys explain this please?

And I read that Big Boss was in a comma for a while and that the 3 sons of the boss were cloned while he was in a comma. Was the relation to Phantom Pain.

The boy is called Chico, he's a supporting character from Peace Walker, which GZ continues off from. The Snake infiltrating is indeed Big Boss. The bad guy is a mystery, but it's either a new villain or there's a theory that it's Galvez/Zadornov from PW. Your last Q about the coma can't really be answered, it's all speculative at the moment, but the cloning happens before PW, so I'm guessing Phantom Pain is either a different incident, or a flashback.

I rewatched the GZ trailer and have been reading about the phantom pain trailer.

Can someone explain what is going on in the GZ trailer? Is the boy shown a young solid snake? He does have some similar facial features?
Is the snake that is infiltrating Big Boss? Can you guys explain this please?

And I read that Big Boss was in a comma for a while and that the 3 sons of the boss were cloned while he was in a comma. Was the relation to Phantom Pain.

The conversation you hear when the music starts is Big Boss is going in to rescue Chico.
As far as the coma thing, that should have already happened before Peace Walker, and he had 2 arms then, but these things have a habit of being rewrittten.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm so confused.

So a game called The Phantom Pain was "announced at VGA and it looked super similar to a MGS-game? And now people are saying (with some proof) that it is indeed MGS5? But where does Ground Zeroes fit in this?

Cake Boss

Banned
2 fully realised console MGS titles revealed within months of each other? WHY?

Not that I am complaining, but 2 major MGS projects at the same time, wouldn't be wise to spread it out a bit?

BigDes

Is the snake that is infiltrating Big Boss? Who is the ugly guy and why does he have a backwards fox emblem? Why is snake wearing a similar emblem? Can you guys explain this please?

The boy is probably the kid in Peace Walker
Ugly guy is probably the villain from Peace Walker
Bad guy is wearing a XOF emblem which is (dumb) probably a mirror to Snake's FOX organisation or created to destroy FOX.

I am ready for this, but... I think I would much rather just have the Ground Zeros come out for these consoles and then MGS5 finally come out like a year or so into the new consoles life.

edit:
2 fully realised console MGS titles revealed within months of each other? WHY?

Not that I am complaining, but 2 major MGS projects at the same time, wouldn't be wise to spread it out a bit?

^^^That is exactly how I feel. Just put the time into the current gen release and then say a year or 18 months into the PS4 or whatever, release the next metal gear. I feel like each won't do as well being stacked. I am a Metal Gear fan, but even me, it takes me 6 months to play through a 15-25 hour campaign... I just take my time in games and don't have hours every afternoon during the winters anymore to just sit down and play games like I did in high school or even in college.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah if devs are planning to hit on a ps3/360 release. I could see all games they are working on to be released next year before the fall.

Either that or they may be doing a cross gen release on current and next gen in order to make sure they get the full install base of current gen.

Izick

I'm so confused.

So a game called The Phantom Pain was "announced at VGA and it looked super similar to a MGS-game? And now people are saying (with some proof) that it is indeed MGS5? But where does Ground Zeroes fit in this?

It could be MGS V, but then again it could be just another level of crazy that Kojima put in the trailer to throw people off. Either way it's 100% MGS related, no questions about it at this point.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'm so confused.

Ground Zeroes is the prologue to MGS 5. Just like the tanker was to MGS 2 and Virtuous Mission was to MGS 3.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Salsa

so this thread already got to the point where people are making fun of others saying negative things about the trailer

alright

Kinyou

No but if that wasn't Jack fuckin Bauer i will eat my hat (Pachter style!)
Wasn't he in CoD World at War? Maybe they took the line out of that game? lol

"On your feet, soldier. The whole place is coming down" sounds like something you hear at least once in every cod game.

Now this makes the most sense. I want the whole Ground Zeroe sequence to be a dream, with the hospital scene a reality. It'll explain the hitech gadget in Ground Zeroes.

DO IT KOJIMA! Grow them balls!

So we end up having a wonderful prologue to a lackluster game again?

No thanks. I wanted to kill everyone after the tanker sequence was over in MGS2. Fucking Raiden. xD

Izick

Ground Zeroes is the prologue to MGS 5. Just like the tanker was to MGS 2 and Virtuous Mission was to MGS 3.

Now this makes the most sense. I want the whole Ground Zeroe sequence to be a dream, with the hospital scene a reality. It'll explain the hitech gadget in Ground Zeroes.

DO IT KOJIMA! Grow them balls!

It very well could be. Also, Kojima doesn't need to grow any balls after how he fucking masterfully tricked people with MGS 2. So fucking good. Point in case:

So we end up having a wonderful prologue to a lackluster game again?

No thanks. I wanted to kill everyone after the tanker sequence was over in MGS2. Fucking Raiden. xD

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
hey gaiz

Hideo+Kojima+Spike+TV+10th+Annual+Video+Game+xqw_Z05br_9l.jpg

dat troll smile

Hideo+Kojima+Spike+TV+10th+Annual+Video+Game+yPBpEnizfCal.jpg

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm almost surprised that nobody has reached that the hexagon floor pattern on the hospital floor is a reference to the big shell layout.

so this thread already got to the point where people are making fun of others saying negative things about the trailer

alright

you've been saying negative things since the beginning, why are u still here lol

I'm almost surprised that nobody has reached that the hexagon floor pattern on the hospital floor is a reference to the big shell layout.

its a big thread man, already been brought up :)

Those were over in an hour or two when we weren't limited to replaying the demo over and over.
That explanation doesn't really gel with having a number of huge open world areas to play around with and a mother base to develop and walk around in like Kojima has confirmed.
All we've seen from this trailer is a guy crawling around with an arm missing. I accept that it could be the final chapter of the same game, but not the meat of a game with such a meaty prologue.

It could intertwine a PW style game as flashback in between PP sections, i don't know if that would be a good idea though.

They have. :p

Salsa

you've been saying negative things since the beginning, why are u still here lol

cause im still interested in what happens mang, the only true negative for me is that id rather for this to be a new IP than ANOTHER Metal Gear game, but I can do nothing but move past that and accept Kojima's cage.

Thread is providing some good discussion, just weirded out by the uber-fans already pushing out legitimate opinions

I'm not really following.

All evidence points to MGS, but that info doesn't prove that it's MGS, just that a guy who worked on a couple MGS title sequences worked on the logo/trailer/whatever.

The cut-out letters, game engine similarities and suspicious Konami wrap party are much stronger pieces of evidence, and the cut-out letters in the logo is the hardest direct piece of evidence, instead of circumstantial, imo.

It was more a retort of ThoseDeafMutes's reasoning that he could just be part of the team. Who in their right mind would send their outsorced title designer to the presentation of their biggest and first game at the VGAs?

Cartman86

Banned
That explanation doesn't really gel with having a number of huge open world areas to play around with and a mother base to develop and walk around in like Kojima has confirmed.
All we've seen from this trailer is a guy crawling around with an arm missing. I accept that it could be the final chapter of the same game, but not the meat of a game with such a meaty prologue.

They have. :p

He lies.
You're probably right.

Izick

There's really no reason to even speculate at this point which comes first, as its a complete toss up since Kojima loves to twist stories and names around for the sake of having the best twists possible.

Grief.exe

The boy is probably the kid in Peace Walker
Ugly guy is probably the villain from Peace Walker
Bad guy is wearing a XOF emblem which is (dumb) probably a mirror to Snake's FOX organisation or created to destroy FOX.

The conversation you hear when the music starts is Big Boss is going in to rescue Chico.
As far as the coma thing, that should have already happened before Peace Walker, and he had 2 arms then, but these things have a habit of being rewrittten.

The boy is called Chico, he's a supporting character from Peace Walker, which GZ continues off from. The Snake infiltrating is indeed Big Boss. The bad guy is a mystery, but it's either a new villain or there's a theory that it's Galvez/Zadornov from PW. Your last Q about the coma can't really be answered, it's all speculative at the moment, but the cloning happens before PW, so I'm guessing Phantom Pain is either a different incident, or a flashback.

Thanks for the explanations guys. Perfect.

Kinyou

Those were over in an hour or two when we weren't limited to replaying the demo over and over.
I want to play the entire game as an amputee.

It was more a retort of ThoseDeafMutes's reasoning that he could just be part of the team. Who in their right mind would send their outsorced title designer to the presentation of their biggest and first game?
Ah, I wasn't paying too much attention to his skepticism.

I wonder when Konami is just going to come out and say it, lol. Are they gonna do another Peace Walker-style ARG? (the way that horrible code hunt was handled made me not buy a copy at launch, heh)

ka_kui

Neo Member
Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain = same game??

001gfa.jpg

they both have the same soldiers, and Kojima already say that GZ is a prologue to MGS5

With what? Can someone recap me on the last 12 hours? I've been at work :(

alexrubensalexrubensodmjhq.png

The person on the right is Kyle Cooper, a noted title sequences designer who worked on MGS2 & 3.

"Besides the account given in the manual for Metal Gear 2, a call to George Kesler during the final battle mentioned a rumor that Big Boss lost his eye during the battle in Outer Heaven, alongside his limbs and his right ear before he was reconstructed as a cyborg under the Snatcher Project, referring to an earlier work by Hideo Kojima. In addition, although Kesler implied that Big Boss's supposed cyborg status made him invincible to Snake's abilities and attacks, Snake managed to finish him off with a flamethrower. This account was also included in the Metal Gear Solid 4 Database, and the novelization for Metal Gear Solid 4 by Project Itoh."

Psycho Mantis/The Sorrow doll lookalike.

2222222bmqu7.png

Same soldiers as Ground Zeroes

001gfa.jpg

GlassBox

Banned
Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain = same game??

001gfa.jpg

they both have the same soldiers, and Kojima already say that GZ is a prologue to MGS5

It'd be easy to just reuse the art assets. Pretty sound if they really are making two games at once.

Anyway, it's odd though that they just didn't announce it as MGS5. I know Kojima is pretty nuts, but this seems a bit overboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom