• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka_kui

Neo Member
It'd be easy to just reuse the art assets. Pretty sound if they really are making two games at once.

Anyway, it's odd though that they just didn't announce it as MGS5. I know Kojima is pretty nuts, but this seems a bit overboard.

kojima never do that, he is very worried about the details.

And they didn't announce but the title says....

531870_562789270402119_736511767_n.jpg

I don't remember that happening. He does go into a coma at some point in his life though when the Patriots steal his DNA to make Solid and Liquid.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Some are saying he was never in Coma and secretly agreed to give DNA. Others say that Zero took his DNA during Coma.

All I can say is that there may be two different parallels and both might be right. Also, his arm missing maybe a throwback to Ocelot losing his and taking Liquid's.

Everyone who thinks this is going to run with that IQ on a current gen console or vita is crazy.

we've seen agnis philosophy, samaritan, watch_dogs and star wars.
if ground zeroes and phantom pain are what's coming out of japan for next-gen, i'm already disappointed. then again, i don't have a single doubt they're current-gen games (at least the footage that's been shown).

Izick

That Kio Marv thing hits it right on the head.

So this trailer, if not a figment of someone's imagination, would have to take place before Metal Gear 2 (which takes place in 1999), correct?

OH SHIT.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So it seems this might be some weird experiment that causes him to hallucinate somehow. The flaming guy is definitely not Volgin, and the guy with the bandages might indeed be the bad guy from the other trailer.

Remember also the weird flashes in the first trailer that happened sometimes, usually when looking at tech or when looking at a bright light? Hmm

edit: Phantom Pain could mean "fake pain"?

Izick

I just want to know where the hell injurai is to help me revel in this madness!

So it seems this might be some weird experiment that causes him to hallucinate somehow. The flaming guy is definitely not Volgin, and the guy with the bandages might indeed be the bad guy from the other trailer.

Remember also the weird flashes in the first trailer that happened sometimes, usually when looking at tech or when looking at a bright light? Hmm

Why can't it be Volgin, or a hallucination of him? It could be Big Boss as somebody pointed out in one of those pictures.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

It's a hallucination of some Snake (most probably Big Boss) AND Volgin.

777777q6yz6.jpg

No way in hell is this NOT Volgin.

NO WAY.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I just want to know where the hell injurai is to help me revel in this madness!

Why can't it be Volgin, or a hallucination of him? It could be Big Boss as somebody pointed out in one of those pictures.

Because it's clearly not Volgin? People said it was because of the legs, but BB has the same legs on his suit. People just never realized until now that BB's suit is pretty much a copy of Volgin's.

pp-61fzrgp.jpg

777777q6yz6.jpg

Izick

Because it's clearly not Volgin? People said it was because of the legs, but BB has the same legs on his suit.

Look at that picture a few posts up and tell me you're 100% sure that's not Volgin. PLEASE do it. I mean come on, it could be a hallucination of him, we don't know! Also I said it could be BB in that post you quoted.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Kojima is back.

Grief.exe

Would the internet have collapsed if they had announced MGS 5: The Phantom Pain right away?

MGS 5 announcement
Dark Souls 2 announcement

The internet would have exploded.

This way its more of a slow, but intense burn.

Side topic.
I seriously hope that konami decides to port MGS5 and GZ, if its even a desperate game, over to PC.

It seems like with LoS2 they are kind of testing the waters. I hope it opens up the floodgates.

Nah, it's better this way. I love deducing (and seeing others deduce) these trailers and finding all the lovingly placed secrets and hints.

I agree, this is fun watching the experts deduce and glean what they can from the minimal amount of info.

It really seems like a minimal amount of info at first, but its actually a very deep trailer. I'm impressed.

Wow! When I first saw the trailer during the VGAs I thought it looked like an awesome game on its own. Never in a million years did I think it was MGS related. Now I'm super excited
3AQmK.gif

edit: Phantom Pain could mean "fake pain"?

Phantom Pain is the pain you experience when your limbs are missing. The pain isn't there but you imagine that there is.

Psychological pain.

And yes, the same flare lens/flash from GZ is in this trailer.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Great theory, but rewatch the GZ trailer, the tissue damage on the burned guy extends down onto his neck, the guy in this trailer looks like the damage is limited to his head area.

A lot of people say the guy is burned, but I always thought he looked more like a zombie. Like a dead guy brought back to life after having started decomposing. Which would make sense considering that if he is Galvez, the guy was shot dead.

Phantom Pain is the pain you experience when your limbs are missing. The pain isn't there but you imagine that there is.

So maybe all the titles for the game are bullshit? They are just the titles of those sections shown in the trailers? Weird.

Izick

Great theory, but rewatch the GZ trailer, the tissue damage on the burned guy extends down onto his neck, the guy in this trailer looks like the damage is limited to his head area.

Nah, in the Moby Dick trailer part of the neck is covered with bandaging as you can see, and in the Ground Zeroes trailer, there is a high collared shirt that comes up to or at least near where that bandaging would be.

SJRB

Gold Member
Is the trailer available in HD somewhere yet? Gametrailers website is a trainwreck to navigate through.

A lot of people say the guy is burned, but I always thought he looked more like a zombie. Like a dead guy brought back to life after having started decomposing. Which would make sense considering that if he is Galvez, the guy was shot dead.

So maybe all the titles for the game are bullshit? They are just the titles of those sections shown in the trailers? Weird.

Then that would place all of these events before the "prologue" that is ground zeroes, unless he's in the hospital for some manner of procedure to reverse the damage. But It's Kojima, so i'll put nothing past him.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Psychological pain.

And yes, the same flare lens/flash from GZ is in this trailer.

Interesting tidbit: In dealing with phantom limb syndrome (specifically, the feeling of an itch), experiments have shown that placing a mirror where the missing limb would be, simulating that the limb is still there, patients were able to scratch the itch and eliminate the pain.

So, mirroring an existing limb to eliminate a phantom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom