• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ooooh, I think I understand what the trailer is.

"I need to tell you some things... You have been in a coma for quite some time.", then the doctor disappears and you start seeing hallucinations.

I'm guessing this part IS when he was in a coma. It happens before he wakes up. So it's like a crazy fucked up dream, and then he wakes up, which is when the doctor scene starts. Hence the whale and all the fucked up visions that don't make sense.

Interesting tidbit: In dealing with phantom limb syndrome (specifically, the feeling of an itch), experiments have shown that placing a mirror where the missing limb would be, simulating that the limb is still there, patients were able to scratch the itch and eliminate the pain.

So, mirroring an existing limb to eliminate a phantom.

"I need to tell you some things... You have been in a coma for quite some time.", then the doctor disappears and you start seeing hallucinations.

I'm guessing this part IS when he was in a coma. It happens before he wakes up. So it's like a crazy fucked up dream, and then he wakes up, which is when the doctor scene starts.

We're going deep right now.

Salsa

pp-5pmpt4.jpg

the weird thing about this is that it doesnt look like a character that'd be voiced by Kiefer Sutherland

I'm guessing this part IS when he was in a coma. It happens before he wakes up. So it's like a crazy fucked up dream, and then he wakes up, which is when the doctor scene starts.

Could be yes. But there's definitely weird stuff going on in a hospital, so it might jump back and forth.

Izick

Also, I think there were some people complaining that this looked worse than Ground Zeroes, but the reason GZ looks "better" (which I don't even really think it does) is because of the lighting. When you're in these pitch-black environments with alternate light sources, you can hide a lot of flaws compared to when in a fully lit room.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
the weird thing about this is that it doesnt look like a character that'd be voiced by Kiefer Sutherland

It's not the same character. You can see parts of his face not covered by the bandage, he's not burned.

SJRB

Gold Member
Glad I'm not the only one who thought it was Kiefer.

Also - what does the lady say at the very end of the trailer? Is it Russian or something?

Cartman86

Banned
Interesting tidbit: In dealing with phantom limb syndrome (specifically, the feeling of an itch), experiments have shown that placing a mirror where the missing limb would be, simulating that the limb is still there, patients were able to scratch the itch and eliminate the pain.

So, mirroring an existing limb to eliminate a phantom.

Kojima will find a way to put this into some sort of dialog that sounds like complete insanity. It will be be repeated at least 5 times.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You also hear a heartbeat during the whole trailer.

Definitely in a coma when all this stuff is happening.

Nah, in the Moby Dick trailer part of the neck is covered with bandaging as you can see, and in the Ground Zeroes trailer, there is a high collared shirt that comes up to or at least near where that bandaging would be.

True, i just watched again, and his neck area is indeed bandaged, right over the areas we were able to see in the ground zeroes trailer. Could be him indeed, though you have to wonder what would bring together FOX and XOF following the prologue

Izick

True, i just watched again, and his neck area is indeed bandaged, right over the areas we were able to see in the ground zeroes trailer. Could be him indeed, though you have to wonder what would bring together FOX and XOF following the prologue

We all just have to go for the ride and see where it takes us!

For this to make sense, melted face man would have to be wearing the bandages as a disguise as this would surely be set later than when he was treated for burns. Possible but not convincing.

MGS-related reveal is always the best thing that can happen in gaming...

Yeah, this. Have to say the amount of stuff people have spotted is pretty incredible. Would never have spotted the Kio Marv guy. Great stuff. Nerdgasms etc.

Also, the trailer was one of the darkest (in tone) I've ever seen for a MG game.

For this to make sense, melted face man would have to be wearing the bandages as a disguise as this would surely be set later than when he was treated for burns. Possible but not convincing.

Which was basically my argument on the last page, Timeline wise it doesn't make sense, unless he underwent some sort of treatment following the events of the prologue, which is the same reason im not quite convinced they're the same person, but the deliberately placed bandages is either a hint or a red herring. I feel like there's something we're missing...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Which was basically my argument on the last page, Timeline wise it doesn't make sense, unless he underwent some sort of treatment following the events of the prologue, which is the same reason im not quite convinced they're the same person, but the deliberately placed bandages is either a hint or a red herring. I feel like there's something we're missing...

But right at the start you see his face, it's not burned.

masterkajo

Did anyone else notice this?

euyG5.jpg

It's like he's telling himself to wake up but he can't.

Plus Kojima trolls the audience to "open their eyes" (in the sense: "Haven't you figured it out by now?") and see that the trailer is really about MGS5.

With this much evidence I am now 100% sure we have seen the first trailer of MGSV.

EDIT:
You mean second.

Yeah, true. Since GZ will most likely be the prologue.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Plus Kojima trolls the audience to "open their eyes" and see that the trailer is really about MGS5.

With this much evidence I am now 100% sure we have seen the first trailer of MGSV.

You mean second.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I think Kojima has an ulterior motive in this situation. Let's psychoanalytically look at Kojima. He is feeble yet ambitious. He is making all these brilliant games, with so much determination. He is trying to find an outlet to exude his inner masculinity. He is emasculating Snake, essentially. Metal Gear Solid V is Kojima's final step to become a man. He almost reached the goal with 4, but he feels he has to redeem himself to those who didn't like it.

Snake

First impression is that the guy who is bandaged up and helping "Snake" is the "real" Big Boss. It seems clear that he's with you for at least significant parts of the game, helping you sneak past guards. Note that he's doing most of the leading.

Or perhaps more to the point, both of them are Big Boss. Having divided his identity within what is likely a coma dreamworld, "two phantoms were born." Thin Snake is heavily wounded (handicapped in fact), weak, and unsure of his identity. Bandaged Snake is muscular, moves with purpose (including in BB's crouch-walk style), and perhaps knows who he is but is intentionally holding back (as does the trailer). Bandaged Snake has a very un-Snakey voice, but after he's unmasked I would suspect he would then again have his "real" voice.

It's also very possible that this isn't taking place within Big Boss' comatose state, but rather a result of a serious drug-induced state causing Big Boss to dissociate and hallucinate. Either way, I really liked this trailer and the backdoor presentation of this new MGS.

I believe the vehicle crashing sequence takes place after the hospital escape. I also see a fiery unicorn lol. Maybe Boss' horse! :p

I don't get WTF happens in the end with the chopper. WTF is behind it?!

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Please have Richard Doyle as Big Boss and David Hayter as Snake. I wonder what they'll do in Japan for Liquid due to the voice actor passing away.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Bandaged guy is either a new character, or Gray Fox (lol). The fact his face is hidden probably means it's someone we know.

The way the video is setup, it's clear that what happens after the doctor says he's been in a coma, happened before. The way the music cuts, etc.

I believe the vehicle crashing sequence takes place after the hospital escape. I also see a fiery unicorn lol. Maybe Boss' horse! :p

I don't get WTF happens in the end with the chopper. WTF is behind it?!

A giant whale. Moby Dick.

edit: Actually, maybe the whole game will be recollections of different events. Maybe that explains all the weird flashes/sound in BOTH trailers.

edit: Who is this?

wJgJa.jpg

yurinka

Phantom Pain is the pain you experience when your limbs are missing. The pain isn't there but you imagine that there is.

Psychological pain.

And yes, the same flare lens/flash from GZ is in this trailer.
Sounds really interesting. About the lens flare/flash, are you talking about the GZ orange flashes? What was their meaning? Are they here too?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Big Boss is Volgin's "White Whale" so to speak. He's been scarred with him, his legacy has been lost, and now he only thirsts for (re)vengeance.

Bandaged guy is either a new character, or Gray Fox (lol). The fact his face is hidden probably means it's someone we know.

The way the video is setup, it's clear that what happens after the doctor says he's been in a coma, happened before. The way the music cuts, etc.

A giant whale. Moby Dick.

edit: Actually, maybe the whole game will be recollections of different events. Maybe that explains all the weird flashes/sound in BOTH trailers.

I remember people telling theories about the flashes and the lens flare, maybe is like 2 games in one, everytime the game flashes in GZ you play a part of The Phantom Pain and the another flash and you go back.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Sounds really interesting. About the lens flare/flash, are you talking about the GZ orange flashes? What was their meaning? Are they here too?

You don't see them in this one, but you hear the same weird sounds as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=L5IVOs5Pxh8#t=234s

In Phantom:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nSfajBs2nyQ#t=173s

edit: BTW the Russian voice at the end says "He has come to", as in "he has awaken", so right after that the doctor scene would logically play. He just woke up at the end of the nightmare. So definitely all a bad dream happening while he is in coma.

My guess is the whole prologue of the game is "Ground Zeroes"+this part, then Big Boss awakes.

MormaPope

Banned
Best videogame reveal ever, the crowd and most people that watched the VGA's have no idea what's been pieced together here on Gaf and other places.

Another connection to Moby Dick:

The Japanese voice actor of Solid Snake, Akio Otsuka, also voiced Ahab Ishmael in Hakugei: Legend of the Moby Dick.
It is a futuristic version of Moby Dick; this adaptation used futuristic outer space as the setting, with "whales" being large abandoned spaceships instead.

Just sayin'.

Few things I noticed:

1. British Flag. This takes place in Britian. The doctor is not British especially with the accent.

2. Adding more to location, the vehicle being driven has a steering wheel on the right side. It indeed is in Britian. The vehicle being driven is a medical van. You can see some pills and medical charts floating around when the van tilts. It's indeed after the hospital scene; they both most likely escaped in the van, but then crashed it.

British characters in MGS are Liquid Snake and Zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom