• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I just noticed this another connection to Moby Dick (the Japanese voice actor of Solid Snake, Akio Otsuka, also voiced Ahab Ishmael in Hakugei: Legend of the Moby Dick),
it is a futuristic version of Moby Dick; this adaptation used futuristic outer space as the setting, with "whales" being large abandoned spaceships instead.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Few things I noticed:

1. British Flag. This takes place in Britian. The doctor is not British especially with the accent.

2. Adding more to location, the vehicle being driven has a steering wheel on the right side. It indeed is in Britian. The vehicle being driven is a medical van. You can see some pills and medical charts floating around when the van tilts. It's indeed after the hospital scene; they both most likely escaped in the van, but then crashed it.

British characters in MGS are Liquid Snake and Zero.

By this point in the story Big Boss and Zero are already at odds with each other. The soldiers may be commanded by the burned man but are ultimately controlled by Zero.

The doctor is either Dr. Marv from Metal Gear 2 or Dr. Madnar from Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, MGS4, and (likely) Rising.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You don't see them in this one, but you hear the same weird sounds as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=L5IVOs5Pxh8#t=234s

In Phantom:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nSfajBs2nyQ#t=173s

edit: BTW the Russian voice at the end says "He has come to", as in "he has awaken", so right after that the doctor scene would logically play. He just woke up at the end of the nightmare. So definitely all a bad dream happening while he is in coma.

Reposted for new page.

Everything I've heard here makes sense, but there's one piece to the puzzle that doesn't fit: the hook arm. That thing simply doesn't fit into the scope of MGS' timeline, at all.

It's probably only in the dream. He probably is injured before falling in the coma, or something is done to his arm, so in the dream he feels like he lost it.

Everything I've heard here makes sense, but there's one piece to the puzzle that doesn't fit: the hook arm. That thing simply doesn't fit into the scope of MGS' timeline, at all.

Sub_Level

Lost it in battle and surgically given a replacement prosthetic.

This would be like the third canon coma for Big Boss lol unless they're retconning something.

Another thing: isn't Big Boss/Snake too much young for the time? Or I'm wrong?

We don't know what time it takes place in. If it's right after Ground Zeroes (which most people pinned to the 1980s) then Big Boss looks correct for the time. Remember that BB doesn't have accelerated aging, he's not a clone.

MormaPope

Banned
hallucination.

That and it's one of the huge pieces in that trailer that disguises it from appearing as a Metal Gear Solid game. People that greatly enjoy the MGS series and it's characters know a lot of intricate info on these characters, Big Boss having a prosthetic arm doesn't make a lick of sense, so having that there hid it pretty well.

Salaadin

This would be like the third canon coma for Big Boss lol unless they're retconning something.

Les Enfants Terribles coma
Outer Heaven coma
Post-Zanzibar Land coma

Any others?

How do we know that the Phantom Zero coma isnt one of the above comas?

omonimo

Banned

We don't know what time it takes place in. If it's right after Ground Zeroes (which most people pinned to the 1980s) then Big Boss looks correct for the time. Remember that BB doesn't have accelerated aging, he's not a clone.

I don't want to be obstinate, but in Ground Zeroes BB appears more aged to me.

Sub_Level

That and it's one of the huge pieces in that trailer that disguises it from appearing as a Metal Gear Solid game. People that greatly enjoy the MGS series and it's characters know a lot of intricate info on these characters, Big Boss having a prosthetic arm doesn't make a lick of sense, so having that there hid it pretty well.

How does it not make sense? In MGS4 they straight up tell you he was reconstructed using different body parts. And even if Phantom Pains takes place way before he gets blown up in Zanzibar or Outer Heaven (lets say he gets injured in battle), he could've easily replaced his hand with something like

Zadornov.png

Sub_Level

Les Enfants Terribles coma
Outer Heaven coma
Post-Zanzibar Land coma

Any others?

How do we know that the Phantom Zero coma isnt one of the above comas?

We don't. LET seems the most likely, but the problem is that if Phantom Pains takes place after Ground Zeroes it's set after Peace Walker but before Metal Gear. Peace Walker was set after LET which was in 1972, while Peace Walker was set in 1974. I think MGS3 even says when the Snakes were born. It could be that there was a second LET project (and by extension coma) for Solidus who was born AFTER Solid and Liquid

I don't want to be obstinate, but in Ground Zeroes BB appears more aged to me.

Kojima specifically said that he looked so old because of the lighting. He does not have grey hair on GZ like it appears.

LINK:http://www.vg247.com/2012/09/05/met...es-demo-snake-isnt-as-old-as-he-looks-kojima/

Salaadin

We don't. LET seems the most likely, but the problem is that if Phantom Pains takes place after Ground Zeroes it's set after Peace Walker but before Metal Gear. Peace Walker was set after LET which was in 1972. I think MGS3 even says when the Snakes were born. It could be that there was a second LET project (and by extension coma) for Solidus who was born AFTER Solid and Liquid[/url]

Youre right. LET was 1972 and PW was 1974, I think. Since GZ is a sequel to PW, its after LET.

A part of me hopes Phantom Zero is the Outer Heaven coma but Snake looks way too young for that.

Can we also get rid of this idea that this could be done on 360 or PS3? It's not happening

No one said it will or won't but the logos are displayed in the website so for now, it's PS3 and 360. I would love this to be next-gen and most likely it is because they're not allowed to reveal anything yet about NG consoles.

DieH@rd

Banned
I dont see why this cant be achieved on ps3/x360. We are 7 years in their lifecycle, people are doing crazy stuff with them now. Plus, KojimaProd uses very efficient art style that can achieve greatness with assets of limited detail.

Few things I noticed:

1. British Flag. This takes place in Britian. The doctor is not British especially with the accent.

Or some British colony in Africa. There is a map near that flag, someone needs to decipher its location.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Can we also get rid of this idea that this could be done on 360 or PS3? It's not happening

but ...but Kojima confirmed MGS: GZ/PP/5 will come out on PS360.

Im glad it was unveiled the way it was. Sure, we have all these answers less than a day later but its been damn fun to read back on and I think it made me more hyped.

Yeah and the whole internet is talking about it now. So many great games where at the VGA's but that trailer totally stole the buzz of the other games.

Sub_Level

Youre right. LET was 1972 and PW was 1974, I think. Since GZ is a sequel to PW, its after LET.

A part of me hopes Phantom Zero is the Outer Heaven coma but Snake looks way too young for that.

He definitely does look way too young for this to be after his battle with Solid Snake.

All signs point to them adding a new coma into the timeline unless the WHOLE HOSPITAL scenario is a hallucination and not just aspects of the situation.

I am a more than "huge" MGS fan, but I really didn't care to even attempt to finish Peace Walker after grinding for ZEKE parts. This game has me itching to go back and play the rest of it.

Instro

As I just noticed this another connection to Moby Dick (the Japanese voice actor of Solid Snake, Akio Otsuka, also voiced Ahab Ishmael in Hakugei: Legend of the Moby Dick),
it is a futuristic version of Moby Dick; this adaptation used futuristic outer space as the setting, with "whales" being large abandoned spaceships instead.

jRgls9ywo8OCP.jpg

It's a great show, maybe Kojima is a fan of Dezaki works.

Wow. Funny you said that. I think I just realized that its a fiery mechanical-esque whale that comes crashing down with the copper!

This is probably quite obvious but he doesn't lose the arm in a car crash, you can see the false arm in that scene. I think they're escaping the hospital in an ambulance as you can see a 2 way radio and pills flying around.

Crunch2600

Neo Member
At the very end, with Snake on the floor, there are a pair of feet that you can see above Snake's head that rise up and there he is floating above the soldier's gun. I think that's Psycho Mantis.
1oZ3Z.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom