• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.
no, I act as if the gameplay presented to us in the trailer looked like garbage, nothing more, since nothing else was shown.

Context is all that has changed? in essence, nothing clicks, you just dont mind it now because you see kojima as some kind of gaming prophet and this as one of his cryptic parables.

1. This isn't a gameplay trailer. It's a reveal trailer. The objective is to get people excited about an upcoming MGS-related something, just the same as for any reveal trailer. Would you knock the Dark Souls II announcement trailer for having "garbage" gameplay?

2. Everything clicks because the context changes.

Eurocult

At first I thought it was a new Manhunt or something like that (so I was already kind of into it) and then I saw the mullet & Snake's face. I didn't really understand the confusion to begin with. Great thread though. I love all the clues Kojima has left us & of course the meltdowns here.

so then nothing changes, the gameplay still looks like garbage, the trailer still doesn't make sense. Context is all that has changed? in essence, nothing clicks, you just dont mind it now because you see kojima as some kind of gaming prophet and this as one of his cryptic parables.

I get that the producer and developer matter, but it shouldn't matter that much over the product. This is one of the reasons why the gaming industry and gaming journalism is suffering a sad death, we're getting so tied up with the name attached to the game that we can't look past the glaring faults of what we're being presented with. It seems like no one is objective anymore, pedigree is important, but dont blind yourself by it.

It didn't really strike me as a gameplay trailer but as a concept/story trailer. This didn't tell me anything about what type of game it is (besides being a metal gear related game), any ancillary systems or anything like that, so I don't think you can really call it garbage without knowing any of that.

1. This isn't a gameplay trailer. It's a reveal trailer. The objective is to get people excited about an upcoming MGS-related something. The same for any reveal trailer. Would you knock the Dark Souls II announcement trailer for having "garbage" gameplay?

2. Everything clicks because the context changes.

1. they presented it as a gameplay trailer.
2. a change in context doesn't mean it should make excpetions for the content.

1. they presented it as a gameplay trailer.
2. a change in context doesn't mean it should make excpetions for the content.

1. They presented it as "in game" footage, not gameplay footage.

2. A change in context COMPLETELY changes how content is received.

Without Kojima, it's a confusing, strangely-paced trailer for what looks like a survival horror game with military and supernatural themes. But the little clues (the cheek scar, Volgin, the title letters) are designed to be accessible to fans of MGS, and the intention is they'll pick up these clues and try to find out what it all means. It's not supposed to make sense. it's supposed to leave us with more questions than answers.

When received as a teaser for MGS, the content becomes far more meaningful.

so then nothing changes, the gameplay still looks like garbage, the trailer still doesn't make sense. Context is all that has changed? in essence, nothing clicks, you just dont mind it now because you see kojima as some kind of gaming prophet and this as one of his cryptic parables.

I get that the producer and developer matter, but it shouldn't matter that much over the product. This is one of the reasons why the gaming industry and gaming journalism is suffering a sad death, we're getting so tied up with the name attached to the game that we can't look past the glaring faults of what we're being presented with. It seems like no one is objective anymore, pedigree is important, but dont blind yourself by it.

this trailer's purpose is to tease, and it does it job exceptionally well. and producer/developer etc matter a lot. why do you think people go batshit insane for Dark Souls 2 CG trailer? it didn't show any gameplay, and if people think there's possibility that Dark Souls is not getting a sequel then they're crazy. it's been a very successful game for From Software and Atlus, why won't they make another one?

what Dark Souls 2 have is developer cred and show great looking cg. what Phantom Pain shows after the metal gear connection is made is developer cred, as well as a very interesting setup for mgs.

1. They presented it as "in game" footage, not gameplay footage.

2. A change in context COMPLETELY changes how content is received.

really, I dont want to get into an argument about this but I think duchamp proved my point already.

your right, as "in game" which, depending on the context, either means
1. gameplay
2. cutscenes

either way, whats your point? When it was first shown people still thought it looked like trash.

Mit-

What is the 2D doctor image from? That looks spot-on. I'm assuming MG or MG2?

That reference should be in the OP IMO.

either way, whats your point? When it was first shown people still thought it looked like trash.

Depends on the people.

If you don't know about the intricacies of the MGS universe, it'll go straight over your head and you might think it was a waste of time, or a strange way to introduce a new IP. But you're not the intended audience.

But for MGS fans, it's a goldmine. It's made for them to dissect and analyse. For fans (of any media series), it's a hugely rewarding experience decoding the clues and analysing meanings, trying to crack the code before someone figures it out. MGS fans are now hyped about what this might mean for what MGS does next and are wanting to know more.

QWOP fans may have read it like this:

iQFE26MFd8hjV.gif

See, the context changes everything.

MormaPope

Banned
really, I dont want to get into an argument about this but I think duchamp proved my point already.

your right, as "in game" which, depending on the context, either means
1. gameplay
2. cutscenes

So people's perceptions or thoughts can never change ever based on the difference in context before or after revelations?

What is your point exactly?

Equus Bellator Apex

it's a winged unicorn, don't forget the fiery wing.

Kind of major Peace Walker spoilers:

She died while falling off a cliff and Naked shot her in the head like a boss. Maybe that would fit in with the theme of Snake seeing all of the damage he's done over the years. I mean you never really kill The Sorrow in mgs3 maybe he has something to do with this.

injurai

Banned
I don't think I made an avatar bet...at least that I remember.

ohohoho... okay I'm almost certain it was you...

edit: I had no Idea how much I posted in the GZ thread... I'm having trouble finding it but I know I was moderating a bet involving a Vita MGS game being announced.

Neiteio

The various elements that make up the Metal Gear Solid series are a bit hit and miss for my personal tastes, but this trailer was refreshing in how it makes you feel like you're in this terrible, disorienting situation. I wonder what thematic depths they'll explore. I also hope they'll clarify what this game is exactly in relation to Ground Zeroes, whether it's the same game or a different game or if the two games are setting the stage fo MGS5... Very odd reveal.

injurai

Banned
That'd be interesting, actually.

But I kind of want to move into the future... I'd like to see Snake again, but I mean, I guess he got his happy ending... so... why not a new protagonist? One day maybe.

Not sure if you were in the GZ thread but I laid how an entire post MGS4 series that could be explored.

It involves Sunny Growing up to be the next perfect soldier. She works on rooting out all the remnants the Fox Alive couldn't fix, and hunts down any cells that my still be in operation. Of course that is just setting the stage for whatever Kojima wants to construct in such a world.

wildfire

Banned
Am i the only one to make some sort of connection between phantom 'pain' > phantom limb syndrome > missing arm/hand. it's probably absolutely nothing but it's been in my head all day..

Nope. The first thing I did was go to Mayo Clinic to look up phantom pain to get an idea of how the game developers might be inspired by this ailment.

At the minimum I would say the hallucinations are a symptom of the phantom pain.

where did i say kojima is a prophet? metal gear solid is one of my favorite franchises ever, no question about that, but he's hardly perfect. he just happens to make games i really enjoy, time and time again.
I was disappointed in the trailer initially because it didn't show enough gameplay and everything was confusing. when i saw snake i understood "holy shit, it's a metal gear game!". And i already know what metal gear is all about, i can wait for a gameplay trailer. As others have said, without context it's just a poor trailer because it doesn't show you actually anything apart from an interesting setting in a weird way, knowing it's mgs you know the characters are gonna be there, weapons, the sneaking, the guards, the cardboard boxes. i was just as interested in the "game" when it just was phantom pain, i just thought the trailer was doing a poor job of showing people a new IP, but now that it's a new mgs i'm even more hyped.

wildfire

Banned
Yes...."incredibly small"

<Quotes 24 people being Negative about the trailer>

Incredibly small......

Unlike you I have perspective. This is also incredibly small positive responses.

This looks interesting.

sweet, new ip where you play as handicapped people

This looks nice.

WOW COLOR ME INTREGUED

Dude what? Looks gnarly.

That looked pretty sick.

Holy shit....

This looks pretty awesome

New IP. Nice.

Well, that looks badass

Well that kind of looks interesting.

What a fucking weird trailer. I like it.

yoooo, that looked cool as fuck besides the wahle

That was one of the greatest trailers I've ever seen.

Flaming Unicorn + Flaming Whale = Day 1

That was crazy. I like

ho
ly
fuck
ing
shit

next-gen motherfuckers!

WTF That looks unreal! Hype

Very interested in this new game.

Wonder if it's a next-gen game they were talking about?

I have no idea what that was, but I'm interested.

Moby dick 2010

Game looks interesting.

That was pretty rad.

Holy shit that was awesome lmao

that phantom game looked sick

lol whale out of no where though.

I am interested , it was snake D:

a giant flaming Whale swallowing an attack helicopter is boring to you?

I need to know what The Phantom Pain is all about. It's certainly caused me to be curious, but I don't know anything else about it other than it's confusing LOL. Still, a new IP is a good thing.

I liked that trailer, can't wait to see more of that game. Seems interesting.

As I said before the vast majority of reactions was WTF I was watching which out numbered the positive and negative reactions combined. Just admit it. You are a glass is half empty kind of guy.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I thought the trailer was fucking awesome even before I realized it was MGS. It was weird, it was diaturbing, it looked totally different from any other trailer I expected from the VGAs, and it grabbed my attention.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
What if it is a simulated battle scenario but the whole thing has become corrupt?

Nonsensical missmash of events happens, no need for logic or order....

As per others, not a massive MGS fan but thought the trailer was pretty awesome.

SiteSeer

Man, I seriously love Kojima. He's truly one of auteurs of the video game industry. Say what you will about all of the craziness and whatnot in his games (which I love), but he should be commended for sticking to his style after all these years and not just making games that are indistinguishable from other games like so many have done this generation. He rarely sacrifices his creative vision.

we caught him slipping in parts of mgs4, but yeah, i likes what-what you said.

I honestly don't think we'll actually see any of the stuff in the trailer in the actual game. It was pretty awesome because it was Kojima being Kojima. You really think he's going to spoil a story sequence like that in a trailer? It was to get people talking, which it succeded at. It honestly reminded me of the Sorrow boss fight from MGS3.

Canuck76

Banned
Man I'm just thinking release date for this. How long have they been working on ground zeroes?

Revengance looks to be good but not really my brand of MGS. Loved the collection, don't have a PS3 so i haven't played 4 but i'm hyped for this and ground zeroes now but i don't want to wait 3 years.

I thought the trailer was fucking awesome even before I realized it was MGS. It was weird, it was diaturbing, it looked totally different from any other trailer I expected from the VGAs, and it grabbed my attention.

It looked totally different than anything I've seen. The sense of terror and urgency in that trailer...

Hot damn, I'm excited!

NinjaBoiX

EatChildren you should update the OP with something like this.

9d78i2st.gif

So people can see why it's 100% MGS 5.
Can someone explain this to me? I just read this on EG, and they were saying that the "spaces between the letters, and the awkward lines spell on MGS5." But hasn't someone just superimposed the lettering on the image?

I don't understand.

Can someone explain this to me? I just read this on EG, and they were saying that the "spaces between the letters, and the awkward lines spell on MGS5." But hasn't someone just superimposed the lettering on the image?

I don't understand.

The lines are in positions that correspond with the letters exactly. There's only so many things you can spell with lines like that.

I don't understand.

That someone is me! :p

It's negative space. There are cutouts and added lines on the original logo:

Merr9.jpg

Tracing around these areas reveals that the words "METAL GEAR SOLID V" fits perfectly in the gaps and lines up with the extra parts.

MormaPope

Banned

I don't understand.

Here's the original title card:
The indents in some or each of the letters is very peculiar, and the fact that the whole phrase "Metal Gear Solid" fills in the indents is either intentional or the biggest coincidence ever to occur in gaming.

NinjaBoiX

Ah, OK, the above image is the original. I see it now. It's very subtle, when I watched the trailer, I couldn't see anything extra on the logo, and then someone suddenly says, "hey it spells Metal Gear Solid 5" and I thought it was a bit of a jump.

But I totally see it now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom