• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never played an MGS game save for about one hour I spent against Twin Snakes on the Gamecube years ago (I took a lift, went through a small snow area into that building and through a vent but I could not get any further, I had no clue about what I was doing).

That said, I have treated myself to reading the last 20 or so pages in this thread and I am really amazed about how little I am understanding and how convoluted this whole series is. I am really tempted to play the games during the xmas break and january, I actually have all of them except the original (I sold that copy of Twin Snakes). I have to check if MGS can be bought on PSN for the PSP Go (it should be there I imagine). Then the other 4 games on the PS3.

Buy MGS1 on PSN;
Buy MGS HD Collection for PS3;
Buy MGS4 for PS3.

Have the best gaming session ever! You can easily buy the entire collection for less than 60 bucks.

Order of playing:

• MGS1
  • MGS2
  • MGS3
  • MG1
  • MG2
  • MGS4
  • MGS:pW

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I hope it has everything i.e. VR Missions, Online, Side Missions and more. I want it to be as big as MGS3: Subsistence.

That would be awesome, but we all know it's not going to happen. Metal Gear Online and optional side missions are seemingly mutually exclusive these days going by Subsistence and MGS4. Subsistence at least had the MSX remakes. And I did appreciate the side missions in Peace Walker even though they weren't anywhere near as good as MGS/MGS2 VR Missions.

And no, I am not counting the seven Snake v.s. Monkey levels as good optional singleplayer content lol.

It's a shame too since the MGO levels are really cool and detailed and would make good settings for singleplayer Sneaking/Elimination missions. MGS4 had so many good gameplay mechanics and barely anywhere to use them.

Sub_Level

4 needs to be experienced. Whether it is a net positive or negative is up to the individual.

I would agree with that.

MGS4 was made for the fans. It's a terrible game and I hate it but it was a culmination of all the Metal Gear games up to that point story-wise. You have to play it for sure.

I would agree with that.

MGS4 was made for the fans. It's a terrible game and I hate it but it was a culmination of all the Metal Gear games up to that point story-wise. You have to play it for sure.

Indeed. It was the best fan service ever. It has shit loads of nostalgia moments and gazillion flashbacks, but overall it was made to please the fans.

stalker

Buy MGS1 on PSN;
Buy MGS4 for PS3.

Have the best gaming session ever! You can easily buy the entire collection for less than 60 bucks.

Order of playing:

• MGS1
  • MGS2
  • MGS3
  • MG1
  • MG2
  • MGS4

Thanks.
As I said, I already own all the games on PS3 (the HD Collection and MGS4), I even own Substance and Subsistence for PS2 and Peace Walker for PSP, all of them sealed. So I just need to check the best option for MGS on PSN; I guess PSP, as on the HD TV it will look horrendous.

Ran rp

∀ Narayan;45315338 said:
Skip MGS4 and the PSP games. Although, I suppose you would benefit from playing Peace Walker if you plan on getting into Ground Zeroes.

I'm tired of people telling newcomers to the series to skip this game or the next. Just because you don't like it for whatever reason it doesn't mean no one else should try to experience it for themselves.

Do you know how many times I've been told to "skip MGS2, just play MGS3" or "Play MGS3, the rest suck". Turns out that MGS1+2 are by far my favorite of the series, and MGS3 is a distant 3rd, possibly 4th.

Buy MGS1 on PSN;
Buy MGS4 for PS3.

Order of playing:

• MGS1
  • MGS2
  • MGS3
  • MG1
  • MG2
  • MGS4

Now this is a good suggestion, but I'd say play it in the order of release to experience the development of the series.

PSY・S;45315687 said:
Now this is a good suggestion, but I'd say play it in the order of release to experience the development of the series.

Yeah, playing in order is important. You may not get a certain joke or story twist or whatnot if you don't play in order.

geebee

Banned
This trailer made me forgive Kojima for the mess that was MGS 4. I've probably said it too much, but that game killed video game stories for me...

This Phantom Pain trailer, however is one of the most intriguing game trailers I have ever seen. The bandaged guy helping you out reminds me a bit of the protagonist in Sanitarium.

Salaadin

Personally, my play order would be

Metal Gear 1
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

All of the above need to be experienced once, imo. You may not like all of them and some of them might turn you off of the series as a whole but thats enitrely up to you and your tastes and just how the game affects you.

If you really want to, you can even play Portable Ops between MGS3 and MGS4. Its a decent PSP game but it doesnt really hold up well and not too many important plot bits happen.

With Ground Zeroes being a sequel, Peace Walker must be played. The characters they refer to in the first GZ trailer are in that game and youll want to know about them.

Thats a pretty big undertaking. If you decide to do this, maybe create a LTTP thread on gaf and let us follow along with you.

hobart

For me--

It makes the most sense that "Zeroes" and "Pain" are one game. It also makes the most sense, to me, that "Pain" is taking place before "Zeroes." Neither "Pain" nor "Zeroes" is the eventual title of the new game.

"Pain" is the game's beginning, an origins if you will -- the game's starting point and creation of the "Two Snakes." We'll play as Snake during this point and it will lay the proper foundation for the rest of the game and the relationship between FOX and XOF. My call is that the bandaged fellow in the "Pain" trailer is the same scarred, general, fellow in the "Zeroes" trailer.

Nothing new here, obviously. I just think this makes the most sense.

billsmugs

PSY・S;45315687 said:
I'm tired of people telling newcomers to the series to skip this game or the next. Just because you don't like it for whatever reason it doesn't mean no one else should try to experience it for themselves.

I'd also urge those with a Vita to play Portable Ops. I'd heard loads of negative things about it and the controls must have been horrendous on the PSP, but with the camera mapped to the Vita's second stick, it works really well (or as well as MGS3 at least, for me the controls only became good in MGS4). Just make sure you play it before Peace Walker, or it will seem dreadful in comparison. (Though Peace Walker must have been pretty bad on the PSP, with its bizarre use of the face buttons for aiming).

EDIT: I would however recommend people skip MG1+2 if they aren't big on retro games. I couldn't stand them at all, so I just looked up the general plots to help understand MGS1.

Sky Chief

I'd also urge those with a Vita to play Portable Ops. I'd heard loads of negative things about it and the controls must have been horrendous on the PSP, but with the camera mapped to the Vita's second stick, it works really well (or as well as MGS3 at least, for me the controls only became good in MGS4). Just make sure you play it before Peace Walker, or it will seem dreadful in comparison. (Though Peace Walker must have been pretty bad on the PSP, with its bizarre use of the face buttons for aiming).

I thought PO doesn't work on Vita?

Sky Chief

If you have never played the MGS series do not listen to people who tell you not to play certain games such as MGS4. Just play them all, they are all fantastic in their own ways.

Sub_Level

Personally, my play order would be

Metal Gear 1
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

I think that the original Metal Gear can safely be skipped. Metal Gear 2 is much more playable, has an actual storyline, and still gives you a taste of Metal Gear before Solid. You're not missing much by simply reading a Wikipedia summary of Metal Gear. It's just not that fun of a game to play.

Since I don't have and won't be buying a PS3 just for one game, I'm about to watch a 3 hour movie version of MGS4. I'm hyped for insanity.

If you are watching it on Youtube, you better set aside like seven or eight hours. There's one cutscene alone that's more than 45 minutes and the ending is at least an hour long.

R-User!

I have never played an MGS game save for about one hour I spent against Twin Snakes on the Gamecube years ago (I took a lift, went through a small snow area into that building and through a vent but I could not get any further, I had no clue about what I was doing).

That said, I have treated myself to reading the last 20 or so pages in this thread and I am really amazed about how little I am understanding and how convoluted this whole series is. I am really tempted to play the games during the xmas break and january, I actually have all of them except the original (I sold that copy of Twin Snakes). I have to check if MGS can be bought on PSN for the PSP Go (it should be there I imagine). Then the other 4 games on the PS3.

Welcome to the fold!

Sky Chief

Thanks.
As I said, I already own all the games on PS3 (the HD Collection and MGS4), I even own Substance and Subsistence for PS2 and Peace Walker for PSP, all of them sealed. So I just need to check the best option for MGS on PSN; I guess PSP, as on the HD TV it will look horrendous.

I played MGS on PS3 for the first time. At first the graphics look terrible but you quickly get past that. There is just something magic about the way that the game unfolds and the great writing (particularly in CODEC conversations) that few games since then have matched. The best thing is you can play the game on PSP and PS3 if you just transfer your save across.

By the way, I really envy you, you are going to have so much fun getting into the series.

Thanks.

If MG1 and MG2 (The MSX games) aren't your
cup of tea just skip 'em honestly. Way too frustrating, and generally require a walkthrough. You won't lose anything by not playing them, though you could check out a playthrough on YouTube for the hell of it.

For me--

It makes the most sense that "Zeroes" and "Pain" are one game. It also makes the most sense, to me, that "Pain" is taking place before "Zeroes." Neither "Pain" nor "Zeroes" is the eventual title of the new game.

"Pain" is the game's beginning, an origins if you will -- the game's starting point and creation of the "Two Snakes." We'll play as Snake during this point and it will lay the proper foundation for the rest of the game and the relationship between FOX and XOF. My call is that the bandaged fellow in the "Pain" trailer is the same scarred, general, fellow in the "Zeroes" trailer.

Nothing new here, obviously. I just think this makes the most sense.

The guy in the Ground Zeroes trailer is Zadornov/Galvez for sure. He wouldn't have Keifer Sutherland's voice if it were him in the Phantom Pain trailer.

I'd say MG1 is skippable at this point but everyone owes it to themselves to play Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. It's an amazing game to this day.

The guy in the Ground Zeroes trailer is Zadornov/Galvez for sure. He wouldn't have Keifer Sutherland's voice if it were him in the Phantom Pain trailer.

I'd say MG1 is skippable at this point but everyone owes it to themselves to play Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. It's an amazing game to this day.

I stuck to it and beat MG1 on Easy. I needed a FAQ in a couple of places but in general once you learn the quirks of that game (how it hides stuff in walls, how to evade/take down guards quickly, how items respawn, and how the save system works on the HD collection version) its not that hard. The only really frustrating part of that game is that specific bosses require specific weapons to beat and there's certain instakill traps in the game that require zero margin of error.

I have started a game of MG2 but it is harder than MG1 due to the soldiers being able to come from out of the side of the screen and follow you across multiple screens. I plan to get back to it once I'm done with this year's games (Far Cry 3 and XCOM are the ones left on my pile).

Honestly though I'd say start with Metal Gear Solid. MG1/2 is something I'd come back to after playing through the other games because ultimately they aren't nearly as engaging and accessible as the Solid games and could serve to turn you off from the series before you even start.

strobogo

Banned
Link please.

MGS4 in Movie Form

I got to 2 hours and had to take a break. It seems...weirdly serious, but it doesn't include codec convos, which is where it seemed the majority of wackiness was when I played the HD collection.

I also watched a half hour of all the codec convos from Smash Brothers just for fun, since I hadn't played any MGS games when I played Brawl, so I had no interest in Snake. Lost it at Skippy hacking in to the frequency. If only he had told Snake to do a barrel roll.

Gorillaz

Like others I havnt played the mgs series yet either but reading this thread has finally pushed me into finally getting into it.

I have a question tho. Whats the difference between mgs2 ps2 version and mgs2 gamecube? (I kno one is twin snakes but I forgot what the other verison is called)

Is there a difference or am I totally wrong? Which I probably am.

Like others I havnt played the mgs series yet either but reading this thread has finally pushed me into finally getting into it.

I have a question tho. Whats the difference between mgs2 ps2 version and mgs2 gamecube? (I kno one is twin snakes but I forgot what the other verison is called)

Is there a difference or am I totally wrong? Which I probably am.

There is no MGS2 for Gamecube. A remake of MGS1 came out on Gamecube.

Twin Snakes is a remake of MGS1 actually, and an extremely divisive one at that.

If you really can't stand PS1 graphics then go ahead and play Twin Snakes. Otherwise, the remake is not really designed too well because the new mechanics they added from MGS2 allow you to do some things that you weren't meant to do in MGS1. The encounters weren't really designed around having a first person view. There are some other differences in the remake that are worth noting, but those are gonna be up to your personal taste really.

If you want to really experience the series for all its worth, then play the games in order of release. It's been mentioned before, but they are as follows:

Metal Gear (available in the MGS HD Collection or on MGS3 Subsistence for PS2)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (same as above)
Metal Gear Solid 1 (on PS1, PC or PSN for PS3/PSP/PSV)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty/Substance (on PS2, Xbox, PC, or PS3/PSV/360)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater/Subsistence (on PS2 or PS3/PSV/360)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (on PS3)
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (on PSP/PSVor PS3/360)

As I said above you can skip MG1 and just read a brief synopsis or something, the game is admittedly dated and might be pretty frustrating if you're not used to playing older games. MG2 is worth the trouble if you can get through it, the story is still very important and the experience is necessary for truly appreciating MGS1. But the above games are the established canon in the MGS series, so play as many as you can.

omonimo

Banned
Since I don't have and won't be buying a PS3 just for one game, I'm about to watch a 3 hour movie version of MGS4. I'm hyped for insanity.

I'm sure sony keeps their attention high now, to release something to convince you to buy a ps3. Cross fingered. :)

Protome

Recieved a tweet containing this gif from @maperns (his neogaf account hasn't been activated yet, but he's been watching this thread)

He says the map from the trailer is Cyprus.
ppmgsv-cyprus.gif

I think I agree.

Ran rp

I think that the original Metal Gear can safely be skipped. Metal Gear 2 is much more playable, has an actual storyline, and still gives you a taste of Metal Gear before Solid. You're not missing much by simply reading a Wikipedia summary of Metal Gear. It's just not that fun of a game to play.

I actually had a lot of fun with the original Metal Gear, but I never did finish it. The same for Metal Gear 2. They're okay to skip but Metal Gear Solid fans should try them out anyway.

Gorillaz

Ahhh so its a remake of mgs 1. Well im getting the series on the ps3 so im ok with downloading the ps1 version of it.

Now that I remember I played peace walker before since everyone kept telling me it was one of the best in the series apparently. Never had time to finish it tho

Holy crap, good find with the map. 100% confirmed. I tried to compare it to a few places but never looked there.

So G.Z. trailer is set in the U.S. owned military base on the southern tip of Cuba, and P.P trailer is set in the U.K. owned military base on the southern tip of Cyprus. Hmmmmm

That painting could be of one of the many ruins in Cyprus but I don't think it's important.

PSY・S;45319575 said:
I actually had a lot of fun with the original Metal Gear, but I never did finish it. The same for Metal Gear 2. They're okay to skip but Metal Gear Solid fans should try them out anyway.
Yeah I'd say try them out if you're a fan (as in you've played at least the first 3 solid games). Trying to convince to someone to play it as their intro to the series is a bad idea.

Holy crap, good find with the map. 100% confirmed. I tried to compare it to a few places but never looked there.

So G.Z. trailer is set in the U.S. owned military base on the southern tip of Cuba, and P.P trailer is set in the U.K. owned military base on the southern tip of Cyprus. Hmmmmm

Interesting indeed horse, i like how everything is coming out to be.

Recieved a tweet containing this gif from @maperns (his neogaf account hasn't been activated yet, but he's been watching this thread)

I think I agree.

Yup, that seems to be it.

Also thanks for the feedback on the FAQ guys, i'll keep adding stuff to it. Not sure how many people will read it since it'll probably get buried but oh well.

Sky Chief

Lets hope so!
He also linked me to the Wikipedia page for the two british bases he points out in the gif. It's here if anyone wants to read!

There is an RAF Hospital in Akrotiri

Here is a website explaining the history http://www.qaranc.co.uk/theprincessmaryshospital.php

Here is more information about Akrotiri http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Akrotiri

EDIT: Another interesting article with a few cool tidbits:

Half a century of medical care winds down at Akrotiri
By Nathan Morley Published on October 7, 2012

THE PRINCIPAL hospital for the British forces in Cyprus is to close its doors next month after 49 years of continuous operation.

The historic hospital has had a famous and colourful history. It became a focus of media attention in 1986 after a daring raid using 60-mm mortars, rocket-propelled grenades and automatic weapons was launched against Akrotiri base by a small group of pro-Libyan terrorists.

Miraculously, casualties were limited to two injured women and a slightly damaged building. The attack was primarily in retaliation for British support of the US bombing of Libya that same year.

The first hospital opened on Akrotiri base in 1957, along with new married quarters in the form of prefabricated bungalows laid out as a model village.

At the time Akrotiri was slated to be the best British-controlled territory between London and the Far East and an ambitious development plan included the construction of churches, cinemas, shops and sports facilities, with the new TPMH facility at Cape Zevgari beginning in 1961.

According to Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps, the hospital cost one million pounds sterling to construct with builders using reinforced concrete with built in earthquake protection. The impressive complex was opened to patients in May 1963 by Princess Margaret.

The hospital was affectionately nicknamed Alcatraz by locals, because of its exposed location on the Akrotiri peninsula.

The hospital downsized its capacity in 1975 after the RAF completed the reduction of its front line strength in Cyprus after a wave of defence cuts, but the downsized facility played an instrumental role in treating US Marines from Beirut in 1983 who were seriously injured in a suicide bomb attack.

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/akrotiri-hospital/half-century-medical-care-winds-down-akrotiri/20121007

feature-hospital-the%20Princess%20Margaret%20Hospital%20is%20closing%20down%20after%2049%20years.jpg

t00t

Neo Member

ppmgsv-cyprus.gif

I think I agree.

GG!

Something else I noticed that supports that...

The electrical plug sockets in the hospital are the British standard BS 1363 - also used in Cyprus.

0jskl.jpg

Cyprus makes use of the BS 1363, British 3-pin, 13A, 240V, 50Hz earthed and fused plug.
http://www.cyprusprofile.com/en/operating-environment/utilities

The BS 1363 design is used in the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, Sri Lanka, Kuwait,[7][8] Bahrain, UAE, Qatar, Yemen, Oman, Cyprus, Malta, Gibraltar, Botswana, Ghana, Hong Kong, Jordan, Macau, Brunei, Malaysia, Singapore, Kenya, Uganda, Nigeria, Iraq, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe. BS 1363 is also standard in several of the former British Caribbean colonies such as Belize, Dominica, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, and Grenada. It is also used in Saudi Arabia in 230 V installations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BS_1363

There is an RAF Hospital in Akrotiri

Here is a website explaining the history http://www.qaranc.co.uk/theprincessmaryshospital.php

Here is more information about Akrotiri http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Akrotiri

EDIT: Another interesting article with a few cool tidbits:

Interesting, I wouldn't expect any of that to be referenced directly given them not mentioning Guantanamo Bay and changing Camp Delta to Camp Omega, this place sounds like it would be the inspiration though.

Haha, ok that's good attention to detail. Actually I'm not sure if ours are ever arranged vertically, the bottom plug would get in the way of the top wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom