• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The photo that told me Nintendo hit a home run with Switch

Mes que un console

__YyyRONWn2D1qLWFFtKMMfTTNvvkBSRqzK4A5dPMgU.jpg

The Barcelona football team playing across several Switch consoles on a flight home. According to the post on Reddit, they were playing Mario Kart Deluxe together.

I see a bigger audience for sports games on this device than perhaps any Nintendo console in history. Young men like this would absolutely lap up the likes of FIFA. Whereas in the past there was never really a reason to pick up FIFA on a Nintendo console if you owned more powerful rival hardware, the portability and power of the Switch gives a reason to pick up a version you can take on the go.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/6aytpz/barcelona_fc_players_playing_mk8d/

mdubs

Banned
I didn't think that the portability would change that much, but I find myself using Switch exactly like in the reveal trailer. The concept just works

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
can't wait for all the stories/pics of shattered Switches thanks to intense FIFA matches

If Fifa is a good port and takes advantage of local multiplayer it could be pretty big with an audience that hasn't been too into Nintendo consoles in a long time.

What it tells me is that Nintendo's marketing is successful, and they're giving away free Switches to all the right people.

That's it folks. It's a wrap. This is some of the best marketing you can have. A big time sports team in Europe playing with it with millions and millions of fans and followers.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
That looks like a paid endorsement if I've ever seen one.

And they all have a preference for the neon blue/red model.

Actually, that could also be a reference to Barcelona's colors :p

$50 says Nintendo gave them those Switches for free. Not being critical or anything, I love my Switch, but if the entire team had all personally bought their own, they wouldn't all have Neons.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
$50 says Nintendo gave them those Switches for free. Not being critical or anything, I love my Switch, but if the entire team had all personally bought their own, they wouldn't all have Neons.

maybe they actually have good taste

Black_Red

Actually if the switch version lets you play Fifa with 2 joycons and its decent (since it cant be the same as regular Fifa with fewer buttons) then this is going to be huge for colleges and schools.
Hell, ever 1 switch plus a pro controller its already big since the switch includes its own screen.

mdubs

Banned

They definitely got them for free, but the fact they are actually using them is telling

Zedark

I wonder. Red and blue is the Barcelona colour scheme after all (though different red and blue shades), so I could potentially see them wanting Neon for that reason.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
How do we know this isn't a paid endorsement?

I don't know, man. Hopefully someone can get to the bottom of this conspiracy and expose them for the shills they are.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
honestly their gimmicky basketball ad was NOT wildly off the mark. if they dont fuck fifa up and wireless play is outstanding, something clever is done with league play... i dont even play football on consoles, but it could be massive.

multiplay and tournaments in general, so much potential. nintendo already gets it since there are tourneys at e3 this year. they are trying to launch multi in a big way i reckon

watershed

Banned
Nothing about this photo seems special to me. Game companies have gifted hardware and software to various celebrities before and famous people have taken photos with their latest gadgets.

For me, seeing ordinary people post on instagram of their family playing Switch around the kitchen table or at an airport are more indicative of "there is something special about the Switch."

Top Bottom