• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Physical VS Digital debate.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Resi 8 is £47 at The Game Collection.

How much is the digital version?
£40 at Tesco. Makes me wonder how long Sony will try and persist with £70 game prices and it also makes me want the physical PS5 despite having an all digital library at the moment.

They’ve planned this for a while, they stopped selling game keys separately so you can’t buy digital PS games on CD Keys/Amazon/Aneba like you can with Xbox and Nintendo. They’re killing off any avenue for competitive pricing.

cireza

Banned
I was a 100% physical guy, having no confidence for the long term in neither Nintendo nor Sony. At some point, with all the sales going around, I had the opportunity to rebuy most of my Xbox One games for a small amount, so I decided to do it, and sold all my physical games to cover the expense. I am now 100% digital on Xbox and happy with it. I simply have to carefully choose my games, as I lose the ability to sell them.

nkarafo

I was always an advocate for physical. But it turns out, it doesn't matter if the game is in physical or digital form. What matters is the DRM and how much control the publisher has over your games.

For instance, a GoG digital copy of any game doesn't have DRM and the publisher doesn't have any control over it if you don't want to. You can back it up easily and play if offline with no mandatory updates. In that sense, this is even better than physical because you can back it up in multiple locations so it will never get lost. While physical stuff can deteriorate over time.

The issue with "digital" is about the digital distribution/marketplace/platforms mostly. These platforms give a lot of control to publishers over your games. DRM is the biggest issue. But updates can sometimes screw you over, like how some songs from various GTA games were removed in later updates. Or how the ending was changed in Portal and there is no way to see the original one, unless you play an older pirated version.

I don't like others having control over my stuff. I want to be able to backup and be able to play older versions if i want to. Or play offline. Or play on any PC i want, with no restrictions.

Streaming is going to make matters even worse. At least now you do have the game files in your computer/console. Worst case scenario, if DRM makes you lose access to your game you can crack it. But with streaming you won't be able to do that anymore. You won't even be able to have a stable game collection, who says some developer won't remove some older games from their servers to force you buy their newer stuff? Streaming is a nightmarish scenario for gaming IMO.

Last edited:

Hydroxy

With the recent example of Sony wanting to shut down Vita, PSP and PS3 store, and had they gone ahead with it, there is a huge worry of permanently losing digital games forever. Digital is convenient but the cost of that convinience is the possibility of losing those games permanently whenever either the publisher or store platform owner decides to nuke it

wd40

I'm physical all the way. I have awful internet, so downloaded games will literally take weeks if it's a new release. It's quicker for me to install the game off a disc, also game covers are cool, AND, the same reason I like DVDs so much, when you're done with the game you can lend them to your friends.

It's also often cheaper because you have so many options when it comes to buying a game, whereas Sony has no competition in the digital games market.

Last edited:

Withnail

With the recent example of Sony wanting to shut down Vita, PSP and PS3 store, and had they gone ahead with it, there is a huge worry of permanently losing digital games forever. Digital is convenient but the cost of that convinience is the possibility of losing those games permanently whenever either the publisher or store platform owner decides to nuke it

Personally I'd be more concerned about Sony releasing a future console generation without a disc drive rendering a physical collection obsolete, or trapped on a diminishing number of working legacy consoles.

odhiex

I am not a game collector, don't have any attachment to physical copies that I own. I rarely traded my games with friends, even less so selling my games.

My PS3 discs collection are now worthless since the console got stolen back in 2016, and almost 90% of my PS4 games are digital.

I truly understand the value of physical games for some people, but it is no longer for me, I guess.

Top Bottom