• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The picked version of the MadBox is.....

radewagon

Looks absolutely terrible. Why are they asking the public what their product should look like? Have some confidence and own your choices.

Banned
This looks like bad, early/mid-2000's mock-ups for what people thought the PS3 was going to look like.

PsyEd

Logo somehow reminds of phantom console. Hope Madbox is real and some manufacturer like MSI should've done something like this ages ago. Anyway great to see a new challenger in the console arena.

Fnord

That "a new E-mail" notification on the front doesn't bode well. Also, that looks like it would cost a (relative to X-Box/PS/Ninty) fortune. All those LEDs and front mounted (O?)LED screens and stuff... yeah. I doubt those things make the final design. Assuming this thing ever actually comes out.

DiscoJer

If they reversed the colors, made the whole thing aqua/teal and the highlights black, it would look like a car out of the 1950s

Last edited:
Yeah I think its got too much alienware appeal. I mean whatever, but whats with all the "carbon fiber and gold plating material". That stuff will only drive up the price of the console and its just for esthetics.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The front panel having a touch screen interface / screen with "relevant" shit on it - interesting idea, but was anyone asking for this? It seems like it would add a huge amount of cost to the design for functionality that nobody would realistically use.

I can't even remember the last time I touched the front of my Xbox or Playstation. I always just turn them on from across the room with the wireless controllers.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
They clearly have no idea what they are doing. My sky Q box has a fucking Q light up when watching a recording. Just a damn Q... and I feel like throwing it out of the window when it’s dark.

This looks like it was designed by a 9 year old.

Last edited:
They clearly have no idea what they are doing. My sky Q box has a fucking Q light up when watching a recording. Just a damn Q... and I feel like throwing it out of the window when it’s dark.

This looks like it was designed by a 9 year old.
Do you want to know what tells me that they have no idea what they're doing?

They designed the exterior of the system before engineering the components, figuring out size and cooling etc... It's backward engineering to have a layout and then try to pack hardware into it, it greatly limits what you can do.

Diddy X

I'd like to see it in a normal photo without all the filters, looks way better than that other M design.

Looks like a cable TV receiver box thing on steroids and Mountain Dew. Better than the other thing I saw here the other day though. Still gonna fail really, REALLY hard of course.

it looks like a gaming router?

is this a real product?

giphy.gif

Great Hair

Banned
Looks like my cable box

Like mine, after i stepped on it ... anyway, does he really believe that we are that gullible? Does he really think, that he is going to deliver a console pc in a NUC Hades case, capable of 4K120+ ?

This has to be a self PR of sorts, for his team, studio and projects. Keep feeding the media, let them do the talk, pr, writing articles and that way remain known. Even a 2080ti cant deliever 4K120 VR HDR ... and he is going to achieve that?

Within a year he´s will admit defeat or until bankrupt. What a pipedream ...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How far are they in the design process if the thing could have looked anything like the M, this, or the cube thing, surely all the innards need to be completely different in at least one of these cases... I don't like this, it looks tacky, and why have screens and lights all over to add to the cost of the shell, I'll be playing on the TV, maybe even sitting too far to read the displays... We still don't know what it is, is it a console or a PC with customizations in the OS to make it more closed down (but bypassable) and customised in look and feel? Either way I don't see it selling much, obviously, but at least if it's just a custom PC they want to claim is a console then even if the company abandons it you could put Windows 10 on it and play like on any PC, as long as the specs were an OK deal given the GPU/CPU/Mobo/Ram models and features.

Last edited:

Mecha Meow

I actually think it looks pretty damn cool and reminds me of the over the top late 90s prototypes for the M2/Dreamcast as well as ones for the Nintendo Revolution.

Will probably end up being an overpriced piece of shit though, and useless to those that already have PCs/Pros/X1s/PS5s/etc.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Even if I doubt that Slightly Mad Studios have the resources to really shade Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo, I'm still curious. But what about multi-platform games from companies like EA, Ubisoft, Warner Bros. etc...?

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Much better than the first thing.

Still looks way terrible. Its like a Subor but with inverts all round. Or a prototype race wing for planes.

And yeah, looks like a router.

Still looks cool. Terrible cool. Its a thing.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Looks better than that disaster we first saw.

Also WTF is PCRevolution??

There is no way the end product will look like this though unless it takes them 10 years to create with underwhelming performance.

it looks like a gaming router?

is this a real product?

1. um no
2. um no not yet (and probably never will be)

Last edited:
This HAS to be a scam. It just HAS to.

It looks ridiculous. So it will have a full front display? Will it be an OLED display? Plus a high end PC hardware? How much would this sell for, $1299?

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Shouldn't you let hardware design, layout, and requirements drive your design rather than public input?

The front display is one of the dumbest things ever... So, it tells me the game that I am already playing? Well, duh? I know that... I'm playing it!

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
Shouldn't you let hardware design, layout, and requirements drive your design rather than public input?

The front display is one of the dumbest things ever... So, it tells me the game that I am already playing? Well, duh? I know that... I'm playing it!

You know... I miss the looking at the art of cartridges when I was playing some game.

It would be cool if the mainstream consoles had a little led screen to project a game art while you're playing it. I would enjoy it.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
You know... I miss the looking at the art of cartridges when I was playing some game.

It would be cool if the mainstream consoles had a little led screen to project a game art while you're playing it. I would enjoy it.
I don't disagree. I liked those things to. It would be novel, for a bit. Then no one would care. It would serve to just drive costs up. I get the desire to be different but i don't think this hits the mark

Top Bottom