• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shaneus

Also, TPA is still releasing on Ouya but no WiiU besides the first NA only release nor Switch.. lol
Wow, it is? I assume they're still behind on releasing TPA for consoles as well?

This is what happens when you promise to cover every console under the sun. I wonder if they're still doing Vita releases as well.

Minsc

Gold Member
Also, TPA is still releasing on Ouya but no WiiU besides the first NA only release nor Switch.. lol

Is Ouya not just the Android build? They're still releasing on mobile platforms, so I sorta figured that'd be included if it is just the same.

I'm saddened by the unlikeliness of a Switch version, but more saddened by the general state of affairs around the game in general to even really care.

Shaneus

Is Ouya not just the Android build? They're still releasing on mobile platforms, so I sorta figured that'd be included if it is just the same.

I'm saddened by the unlikeliness of a Switch version, but more saddened by the general state of affairs around the game in general to even really care.
A Switch version would be perfect, you could even fashion a quasi-virtual pinball machine with the controllers and the Switch display. I'd be surprised if they don't eventually release it on there.

Yeah, I just saw this pop up.. what the fuck happened to TPA?

And now there's a separate Stern version?
Bit off more than they could chew, basically. Had to "take a month off" to clear a mass amount of bugs and issues (including implementing updated physics on all iOS tables, something that was meant to be done ages ago), my theory being that Stern weren't happy with the state of releases coming out and didn't want their name associated with such a flaky product.

Vyse24

New newsletter is out.

altteJn.gif

I think it's World Cup Soccer.

Baron

I booted up TPA on PS4 recently and noticed that all of the season 1 tables were unlocked for me. I bought them for PS3/Vita a while ago but thought they were a separate purchase on PS4. Is this a Christmas in July thing for me or has cross-buy for PS4 been enabled...?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
World Cup Soccer was my most requested table from the very beginning. I absoutely adore that table.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm curious how well the ball will respond to the spin game soccer ball. I hope it's not overly mathematical and predictable like the rest of the collision physics...

kapowza

I think I'm becoming a figure of ridicule in the gaming cafe I play in because the replay 'knock' on the Stern tables makes me shit myself every single time.

Also stupidly close to destroying the ring on LOTR 2 days in a row only to blow it before making the last shot. Rage.

Shaneus

So there's been an update to TPA on iOS, no new tables but some existing ones have been updated (or are at least redownloading):
Black Knight (maybe property emulation finally?!?)
Dr. Who (original and "remaster")
Bone Busters
Jacks Open
Gladiators

FoxSpirit

Since this is also the general Pinball thread:

Terra Technica will open at the Austrian/Czech border in a month.
700 jukeboxes, 300 playable pinballs and 100 video arcade machines, spanning back to the electromechanicals of the 30s.

It's gonna be glorious. And maybe a tad loud :p

HotHamBoy

Since this is also the general Pinball thread:

Terra Technica will open at the Austrian/Czech border in a month.
700 jukeboxes, 300 playable pinballs and 100 video arcade machines, spanning back to the electromechanicals of the 30s.

It's gonna be glorious. And maybe a tad loud :p

We really need a real Pinball OT in off-topic. Not just for talking tables, but sharing venues and events and meet-ups.

If you guys agree I will make it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
In what position? I don't know anything of his talents in anything other than playing.

More keen to see what KME is conjuring up.

Marketing director. He took Jodie's old position. I think it makes sense because he's involved with the community and was a marketing director before Stern. So hopefully it helps keep pinball growing?

Stern seems to have been under fire lately due to significant quality problems. That and the whole cost going way up thing. I don't know how he'll do in his new job, but it's exciting nonetheless!

Also new Spooky game announced. Looks...OK? Not $7000 good, though.

HotHamBoy

Marketing director. He took Jodie's old position. I think it makes sense because he's involved with the community and was a marketing director before Stern. So hopefully it helps keep pinball growing?

Stern seems to have been under fire lately due to significant quality problems. That and the whole cost going way up thing. I don't know how he'll do in his new job, but it's exciting nonetheless!

Jersey Jack is eating Stern's lunch. I think the private collector market has realized they can get a much high-quality table for just a little bit more.

I mean, I really don't know why you would choose Star Wars over Dialed In from a player perspective, there is no comparison.

I think Stern still has a corner on on-location pins but JJ is catching up. I run a Twitter for our tiny-but-growing Central Indiana scene and I keep track of on-location additions in the midwest. I see plenty of new Sterns go up all the time but JJ is rising and the hype for Dialed In is pretty big right now.

We just got a Dialed In on location in Indianapolis a few weeks ago. It sits next to a Ghostbusters Premium, Aerosmith Pro and Game of Thrones Pro and it really outclasses all of them. Ghostbusters Premium comes close, and I do love that game, but Dialed In is just on another level.

I will work on the Pinball OT. Let me know what you guys want to see in the OP.

I'm going to try to keep it up to date with in-production & upcoming pins. I will also try to post anything concerning digital pinball news - i.e. Zen, Pro Pinball, etc

What else should be included? Do you guys want to make a list of the best places to play in major cities? I'll need some help with that. We can link to leagues, too.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Jersey Jack is eating Stern's lunch. I think the private collector market has realized they can get a much high-quality table for just a little bit more.

I mean, I really don't know why you would choose Star Wars over Dialed In from a player perspective, there is no comparison.

I think Stern still has a corner on on-location pins but JJ is catching up. I run a Twitter for our tiny-but-growing Central Indiana scene and I keep track of on-location additions in the midwest. I see plenty of new Sterns go up all the time but JJ is rising and the hype for Dialed In is pretty big right now.

We just got a Dialed In on location in Indianapolis a few weeks ago. It sits next to a Ghostbusters Premium, Aerosmith Pro and Game of Thrones Pro and it really outclasses all of them. Ghostbusters Premium comes close, and I do love that game, but Dialed In is just on another level.

I will work on the Pinball OT. Let me know what you guys want to see in the OP.

I'm going to try to keep it up to date with in-production & upcoming pins. I will also try to post anything concerning digital pinball news - i.e. Zen, Pro Pinball, etc

What else should be included? Do you guys want to make a list of the best places to play in major cities? I'll need some help with that. We can link to leagues, too.
I'm thinking of trading out my Metallica so definitely looking at Dialed In even though the theme is garbage tier (which is kind of a big deal for me). Star Wars feels like such a wasted opportunity. I played it a ton at Cal Extreme and holy shit the visuals and just graphic design on the lcd are so bad. Like sub random 2008 video slots level. I'd take a dmd over that any day.

Triz

Dialed In is honestly the best pin Ive played in years. I agree the theme is a bit of a turn off, but the game is deep, fun, and just all around a great machine.

HotHamBoy

I'm thinking of trading out my Metallica so definitely looking at Dialed In even though the theme is garbage tier (which is kind of a big deal for me). Star Wars feels like such a wasted opportunity. I played it a ton at Cal Extreme and holy shit the visuals and just graphic design on the lcd are so bad. Like sub random 2008 video slots level. I'd take a dmd over that any day.

Dialed In is honestly the best pin Ive played in years. I agree the theme is a bit of a turn off, but the game is deep, fun, and just all around a great machine.

I found the theme puzzling at first too, and def agree about the weirdly dated 3D graphics on the LCD. The more I played it, the more it grew on me, and the table itself just looks fantastic.

The theme is Pat Lawlor as hell. I mean, look at this shit:

Whirlwind.jpg

00a8aa8b7ff881ecc76b06f6971d4e48--arcade-games-pinball.jpg

RoadShow1.jpg

fullgame.JPG

His unlicensed pins are just weird like that. Dialed In fits perfectly in line with his sensibilities.

You gotta give him credit for being an original thinker, though.

Shaneus

Jody's gone? Interesting.

Speaking of prices, the RRP of new Homepin game (Thunderbirds Are Go) in Australia is $6,499AUD. For reference, a Stern Pro is about $8,200AUD.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Jody's gone? Interesting.
Not gone. Jody moved to licensing/business development.

And Total Annihilation from spooky is an absolute blast to play. Not sure I can bite at 6k though (the 7k number is for some updated cabinet/trim options)

HotHamBoy

World Champion [Cup] Soccer has released on iOS. It's completely broken.

Clicking on the table icon from any place in the UI takes you to the Custom Ball DLC screen. Trying to click out of that menu crashes the app.

You can't buy it, you can't play it. Only Farsight, right?

GuyKazama

Clicking on the table icon from any place in the UI takes you to the Custom Ball DLC screen. Trying to click out of that menu crashes the app.

lol, I just tried to play it — love the real table.

I’ve never seen an app’s interface disintegrate like that. It just fell apart. Completely fucked.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan

So they didn't get the licenses from FIFA? Is the presentation the same otherwise?

HotHamBoy

So they didn't get the licenses from FIFA? Is the presentation the same otherwise?

I don't know because I haven't even seen the fly-over.

[Edit: see update below]

From what I can tell from the table preview image it seems that all the licensed art was altered ala Fester Addams.

I'm sure the table looks identical but I have no idea how they would alter the DMD, the announcer, etc.

Their FB says there is an official Twitch stream planned for tonight "ahead of release" which makes me think the iOS version dropped early. But it doesn't make sense that it would have something to do with why the app is screwed up.

For example, if you open the app and tap on the shopping cart icon it takes you to the tables you can buy sorted by seasons. If you tap on the Custom Balls tab it causes the interface to go nuts and you have to force-close the app.

I can't think of why the WCS table icon would send you to Custom Balls or why Custom Balls is totally screwed up.

The iOS app has had all kinds of problems forever, though. You get the feeling that Farsight's software is a house of cards.

Speaking of fucked up FS software, we are now approaching 9 months since Stern Pinball Arcade released with no new tables & tons of existing bugs on all platforms. Ghostbusters was supposrd to be included with the purchase of the second bundle as of, what, January? Totally MIA.

UPDATE:
Go to the shopping cart icon from the main screen and buy from there. Bypasses the ball pack screen and was able to purchase and download WCS successfully.

The table looks great, very much intact.

Logo changed and Striker the World Cup Pup was altered into a super derpy version on the backglass. Interestingly, he remains un-altered on the DMD so you won't even notice any changes while playing outside the lack of any mention of the World Cup.

The table plays great. This is honestly pretty amazing because everyone was long convinced that WCS could never come to TPA. And we didn't even have to do a Kickstarter, I'm happy.

Funny thing about Striker, I always thought he was a rip off of Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy from Hanna Barbera.

WCS4.jpg

1d928c537f6e567e3d7364e1e78ab7ae--animation-background-hanna-barbera.jpg

They don't seem too similar compared side by side but both Doggie Daddy and Striker have a Jimmy Durante voice...

JEKKI

I wanted to buy this game physical but noticed there were two different versions...

is the Stern one separate, or are the tables on it available as DLC if I get the standard game?

basically trying to figure out which one I want to buy...

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I wanted to buy this game physical but noticed there were two different versions...

is the Stern one separate, or are the tables on it available as DLC if I get the standard game?

The Stern one has a few that are in the original game's DLC seasons (Harley Davidson, Last Action Hero, Frankenstein, Starship Troopers, Ripleys) and some unique to the Stern one (Mustang, AC/DC) and any future Stern/Sega Data East titles will probably be exclusive to the Stern one.

The only think that looks different is the backglass.
I guess that's an acceptable compromise. Can't wait to try it on Steam and see how it is.

Shaneus

So Ripley's received an update on the iOS TPA app (not the Stern one) but they still have the static DMD. Argh.

On another note, does anyone have any comments on the LED version of ColorDMD? I'm considering getting one for RBION, but they're about $650AUD shipped to Australia :/

And I've just heard Nate's latest C2C episode on TNA. God damn it, that machine sounds incredible. Don't know if I should decide between Thunderbirds or TNA, should a NIB be on the cards in the next six months.

HotHamBoy

The Pinball Arcade and Stern Pinball Arcade are seperate games. Stern Pinball Arcade has a few of the tables from TPA but the real draw is that it exclusively has new tables from Stern - Star Trek (new movies), AC/DC and Mustang. Ghostbusters is supposed to have released already and you would get that included when it does.

New Stern tables were supposed to be added regularly but it has been 9 months with no word.

Shaneus

The Pinball Arcade and Stern Pinball Arcade are seperate games. Stern Pinball Arcade has a few of the tables from TPA but the real draw is that it exclusively has new tables from Stern - Star Trek (new movies), AC/DC and Mustang. Ghostbusters is supposed to have released already and you would get that included when it does.

New Stern tables were supposed to be added regularly but it has been 9 months with no word.
I wonder if the relationship has changed somehow with Jody's role changing? I'm sure there's a reason other than Farsight being shit.

Erm...

HotHamBoy

I wonder if the relationship has changed somehow with Jody's role changing? I'm sure there's a reason other than Farsight being shit.

Erm...

I really have no idea what Stern expected from a quality standpoint.

It's been pretty clear that Farsight is an incompetent software developer. They have spread themselves way too thin across far too many platform and each platform is riddled with bugs, many that are platform-specific. So what do they do? Divide themselves further by releasing a seperate piece of software across nearly as many platforms.

Stern Pinball Arcade is a disaster held together with spit and dreams.

But it really doean't matter because no one else is making digital adaptation of real pinball tables on these platforms.

Lettuce

The have removed.....

striker from the left sling shot plastic.
striker from the backglass and replaced with a similar looking dog.
the WorldCup Cup decal from the upper playfield section on the left hand side of the table.
the 'WorldCupUSA '94' licensed sticker decal from the right slingshot plastic and back glass which has been replaced with 'Champion TPA '17 decal.
'WorldCup USA 94' from the drain lanes and replaced with 'Champion TPA '17'.
'WorldCup' scoring lights from the playfield and replaced with 'Champion'.

and i think thats it

HotHamBoy

The have removed.....

striker from the left sling shot plastic.
striker from the backglass and replaced with a similar looking dog.
the WorldCup Cup decal from the upper playfield section on the left hand side of the table.
the 'WorldCupUSA '94' licensed sticker decal from the right slingshot plastic and back glass which has been replaced with 'Champion TPA '17 decal.
'WorldCup USA 94' from the drain lanes and replaced with 'Champion TPA '17'.
'WorldCup' scoring lights from the playfield and replaced with 'Champion'.

and i think thats it

Absolutely acceptable to me, I've been playing the shit out of it. One of my favorite tables of all time is finally on TPA, those superficial elements are hardly a big deal.

Table plays really well, too. I have a fair bit of experience with different World Cup tables and it feels pretty right to me.

I'm just glad the DMD still has un-altered Striker.

Lettuce

Absolutely acceptable to me, I've been playing the shit out of it. One of my favorite tables of all time is finally on TPA, those superficial elements are hardly a big deal.

Table plays really well, too. I have a fair bit of experience with different World Cup tables and it feels pretty right to me.

I'm just glad the DMD still has un-altered Striker.

Yeah would of been nice if they could of made up a trophy to go where the older WorldCup Cup was and also something to go on that left slingshot plastic...maybe the same dog they have on the backglass as without them it does look a bit empty on those parts

JEKKI

The Stern one has a few that are in the original game's DLC seasons (Harley Davidson, Last Action Hero, Frankenstein, Starship Troopers, Ripleys) and some unique to the Stern one (Mustang, AC/DC) and any future Stern/Sega Data East titles will probably be exclusive to the Stern one.

oh bummer; OK I'll pick up the regular version then, but yah sucks that the Stern one is its own thing and doesnt have its tables available as a DLC.

still may pick it up down the line tho... depending on how much I want to play those new tables and if I end up finding myself spending more $$ at the actual machine instead lol

Thank you!!!!

HotHamBoy

oh bummer; OK I'll pick up the regular version then, but yah sucks that the Stern one is its own thing and doesnt have its tables available as a DLC.

still may pick it up down the line tho... depending on how much I want to play those new tables and if I end up finding myself spending more $$ at the actual machine instead lol

Thank you!!!!

Well, there is definitely no subsitute for the real thing.

Table for table Season 1 of Pinball Arcade is a better package than Stern Pinball Arcade. But the quality of the Stern tables and their physics is better because the Season 1 TPA tables were made 5 years ago.

I think both are worth picking up and between season 1 of TPA and Stern PA there is just a little overlap.

But there are also 6 more seasons of The Pinball Arcade that are not included on that disc and are brimming with fantastic tables. The count is currently 85.

HotHamBoy

You guys want to have a Gaf tournament?

Let's pick 10 tables. On the day of the tournament we'll randomly choose 5 of them.

You'll have 12 (24?) hours to post screenshots of your highest scores for those 5 tables *from that day.*

For each table we will award 3 points for the highest score, 2 points for 2nd and 1 point for 3rd, zero for the rest. Who ever has the most points across the 5 tables is winner winner chicken dinner.

Just an experiment.

When Pinball FX 3 launches we can do all this in-app but I don't think user tournaments will ever come to TPA.

Top Bottom