• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Does Nvidia DSR work with Pinball Arcade DX11? I've got a 980 Ti but I'm new to this and the control panel is pretty far from user-friendly. Searching for how to do this for pinball arcade (whose resolution options are stuck in a config app from the 1990s) is a bit of a mystery to me.

HotHamBoy

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just heard the C2C pinball on this -- gross and horrible.

Not that it's remotely important in the grand scheme, but Nate did mention whether people would get rid of their games by him -- I guess for better in this case I really don't think of designers that much with a game since there's so much that goes into a package. Heck I'd probably be more bothered if the artist on GB had something like this than the designer. I'll actually probably rotate out Metallica before GB but I can see how it would bother people and to each his own.

HotHamBoy

Just heard the C2C pinball on this -- gross and horrible.

Not that it's remotely important in the grand scheme, but Nate did mention whether people would get rid of their games by him -- I guess for better in this case I really don't think of designers that much with a game since there's so much that goes into a package. Heck I'd probably be more bothered if the artist on GB had something like this than the designer. I'll actually probably rotate out Metallica before GB but I can see how it would bother people and to each his own.

That's really stupid. Did people stop watching Polanski films?

Besides, Pinball is already in dire need of preservation. It sucks that dude turned out to be sick but his games are still good and important

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah he actually brought that up, and how he watches Woody Allen films. I think it was more just to bring it back to pinball don't think most people will actually move stuff unless they were already considering it regardless.

But...Stern does have an unannounced title that he's working on and that's at minimum awkward.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
One of the local guys in Indy is dumping his Trudeau games because he works around kids and doesn't feel comfortable with it. I mean, to each their own...But it's not like people stopped eating Subway after their biggest spokesperson of all time was found guilty of the same shit.

I don't know...Just seems a bit melodramatic for me. His games are amazing. He's a gross fuck wad, but JPop is a piece of shit and made some of the greatest games of all time, too. So...

HotHamBoy

But...Stern does have an unannounced title that he's working on and that's at minimum awkward.

I was thinking about that, that there was probably a table he was working on. I'm sure someone will pick it up but I must admit, Ghostbusters Premium is the best Stern in years...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah so I actually have a GB LE so the playfield at the bottom is signed by him (kinda hard to see unless you're looking for it thankfully) but I'm with nicoga pretty much in terms of my personal view. I also don't really idolize or even hobbyist-admire designers that much, just think of them as one cog in putting the machine together so that probably helps me not get it twisted.

HotHamBoy

One of the local guys in Indy is dumping his Trudeau games because he works around kids and doesn't feel comfortable with it. I mean, to each their own...But it's not like people stopped eating Subway after their biggest spokesperson of all time was found guilty of the same shit.

I don't know...Just seems a bit melodramatic for me. His games are amazing. He's a gross fuck wad, but JPop is a piece of shit and made some of the greatest games of all time, too. So...

Do you know who it is that's dumping their games? Are they on location? I assume not or I would know about them.

I know Main Street Amusements has a Creature & a GB but I doubt Dan is going to sell them.

It would be crazy if Trudeau games suddenly dropped a lot in value because I'm not too proud to buy one..

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Do you know who it is that's dumping their games? Are they on location? I assume not or I would know about them.

I know Main Street Amusements has a Creature & a GB but I doubt Dan is going to sell them.

It would be crazy if Trudeau games suddenly dropped a lot in value because I'm not too proud to buy one..

It's Tommy. I know his Creech is gone and I seem to remember him saying something about his Congo and Genesis.

HotHamBoy

I mean, I get it but I also don't get it.

I guess I've always been more of the view that one should seperate Art from the Artist, but I guess there are limits. I wouldn't hang a painting by Hitler.

But I also think it's a massive discredit to all the other people who worked on those games that weren't Trudeau.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It's Tommy. I know his Creech is gone and I seem to remember him saying something about his Congo and Genesis.

Congo was one of my favorites. What a fantastic table.

Some guy within 3 hours is selling his Pinbot table, which is the table I have the most memories from as a child. It's the one that got me into pinball. I'm debating making an offer. How much of a pain is it to move these?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Some guy within 3 hours is selling his Pinbot table, which is the table I have the most memories from as a child. It's the one that got me into pinball. I'm debating making an offer. How much of a pain is it to move these?

They're big and unwieldy, but I've moved a bunch. With 2-3 people, it's not bad at all. Just make sure you have a van or truck or something.

HotHamBoy

You better have a dolly and a strong back. Better have a friend, too.

I assume by your question that you have never owned a pin.

Make sure you know how to move it. You'll want to remove the legs and fold the backbox. Don't lose anything. Use a ton of padding around the machine and between the main cabinet and backbox. Strap it down tight.

Remember that when you move a pin you will probably incur some damage. Minimize it.

Be prepared for a lot of upkeep on the game. You will need to fix and replace parts often. It's like owning an old car with a lot of mileage.

There are far too many pins collecting dust in bars, garages and basements because the people who bought them either didn't know how to fix them or didn't want to bother.

kapowza

Also stupidly close to destroying the ring on LOTR 2 days in a row only to blow it before making the last shot. Rage.

image1.jpg

FINALLY!

kapowza

Nice, practising Star Trek on the iPad has improved my real world scores by a surprising amount and I'm still pretty crap at Ghostbusters

Shaneus

So, few interesting things:

Jersey Jack and his son are coming to Australia next year, I think in Jan? It's speculated he'll be bringing JJP4 (PotC?) with him.
Dead Flip has just announced that he has just booked a flight to Australia as well 🤔
Thunderbirds will be debuting in a few weeks for the very first time... also in Australia!
And lastly, Ben Heck accused Mike from Homepin of copying his Pinheck design from Thunderbirds. Mike has denied this flat-out.

That reminds me, everyone should check out the Head 2 Head Pinball Podcast. They have a great interview with Mike and work as great filler in-between episodes of C2C (when they even appear, I guess Nate got himself a life!).

PS. Where the hell is Fathom? And Ghostbusters for iOS?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ghostbusters is dead to me after it decided to scream at me and make me look like a prick in the pub
You can disable that on the machine but it’s actually on by default, which is amazing. First time it happened me was my brother in law and his wife playing it during my 6-y-o daughter’s birthday party with a bunch of kids around in the other room. I shit you not. Worth it for the story now but it was awkward at the time. :p

HotHamBoy

Farsight has released the remaining Season 6 tables on Playstation systems.

Ghostbusters is also available to buy on PS4 as of today, included if you have Bundle 2.

Pinball FX3 is also live today with all but a few tables available to import for free if you already bought them in Zen Pinball/PBFX2. Note that it is not releasing on Vita, Wii U or PS360 and iOS/Android and probably Switch versions are coming later on.

That said, Zen's Universal Classics 3 pack also released today and is available to purchase on iOS/Android in addition to the PBFX3 platforms. The three tables are E.T., Back to the Future & Jaws. I bought all 3 on iPad ($1.99 each) and at first blush BTTF is definitely an underwhelming game with bland presentation and table design and really annoying callouts. The other two seem to have more potential (they certainly look nicer) but be aware: Zen DID NOT LICENSE THE ORIGINAL MUSIC FROM THESE FILMS so if not having the iconic themes playing is a deal breaker you might want to consider that.

Considering the main theme of Jaws is like, the whole fucking thing, I'm pretty baffled.

HotHamBoy

How about the physics on Zen 3? Is it more realistic and less arcade feeling than the previous iterations?

Feels about the same to me but I am used to playing on iPad rather than my PS4.

Graphics-wise they basically just added a shitload of bloom to all the lighting and made the ball shinier. They also redid the hideous playfield art on Sorcerer's Lair so that's nice.

All the new multiplayer stuff is cool, though. That's the real draw. We can have official and custom tournaments now.

Dinjoralo

Feels about the same to me but I am used to playing on iPad rather than my PS4.

Graphics-wise they basically just added a shitload of bloom to all the lighting and made the ball shinier. They also redid the hideous playfield art on Sorcerer's Lair so that's nice.

All the new multiplayer stuff is cool, though. That's the real draw. We can have official and custom tournaments now.
?????
If anything, they removed a lot of the bloom that was in FX2. Check it out. There's also much better reflections, ambient occlusion I think, some updated models, and just much better lighting on the whole.

Minsc

Gold Member
Farsight has released the remaining Season 6 tables on Playstation systems.

Ghostbusters is also available to buy on PS4 as of today, included if you have Bundle 2.

Pinball FX3 is also live today with all but a few tables available to import for free if you already bought them in Zen Pinball/PBFX2. Note that it is not releasing on Vita, Wii U or PS360 and iOS/Android and probably Switch versions are coming later on.

That said, Zen's Universal Classics 3 pack also released today and is available to purchase on iOS/Android in addition to the PBFX3 platforms. The three tables are E.T., Back to the Future & Jaws. I bought all 3 on iPad ($1.99 each) and at first blush BTTF is definitely an underwhelming game with bland presentation and table design and really annoying callouts. The other two seem to have more potential (they certainly look nicer) but be aware: Zen DID NOT LICENSE THE ORIGINAL MUSIC FROM THESE FILMS so if not having the iconic themes playing is a deal breaker you might want to consider that.

Considering the main theme of Jaws is like, the whole fucking thing, I'm pretty baffled.

From what I saw from the trial version of JAWS, they did a decent enough job simulating the feeling, didn't even notice the theme missing, but I only played a couple minutes.

And despite owning TPA on PC and iOS, I would love to see some Switch pinball love. There's been some really heavy hints of PBFX3 coming eventually to Switch, but I completely missed that Stern Pinball Arcade has actually been confirmed to be releasing on Switch. Though the general consensus seems to be it'll probably take FarSight about 2+ years to get the port done, so we may yet see PBFX3 on it first. When it does release hopefully it supports portrait mode, as a few schumps have already begun doing on the Switch (as well as the HD rumble, could be neat also).

HotHamBoy

Fathom is great, plays great.

Newsletter hint for next month's table:

October_hint_2017.jpg

So far no one seems to have a clue what it could mean.

Farsight always releases a Halloween-themed table in October. So unless they intend to break that tradition the table must be at least tangentially horror/halloween themed.

You'll notice the face is the face of the ghost on the Ghostbusters logo. The Stern Ghostbusters has been rolling out on Stern Pinball Arcade but it's certainly not a hint for that. The biggest concern seems to be that it's a hint for Farsight's shitty Ghostbusters reskin of Haunted House that they did for mobile a few years back since it was exclusive to a stand-alone mobile app. Personally, I don't think that's it because I bet the license didn't cover it. It also doesn't make sense that they would use their custom reskin as one of the 10 tables of the season. The Dr. WHO reskin they did last year was a bonus table and didn't count towards the 10 table packs of Season 6.

So I'm at a loss but the best guess I've got is a bit of a stretch and it's taking the clue pretty literally.

index.php

Basically, uh, Medusa has a golden face that kind of matches that gradient. Lol.

Probably the clue is meant to be more abstract.

HotHamBoy

Spirit seems to be leading the speculation on PAF right now. Would not complain.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious in hindsight.

index.php

Ghostbuster's ghost is a spirit and it's just the floating face.

It's a solid and beautiful game from the classic Gottlieb era before they were bought out. Huge step up from trash like Bone Busters and Frankenstein.

Guess who worked on it? John Trudeau. Fittingly scary.

HotHamBoy

Looks orright, better than I was expecting. Read impressions here.

Looks better than Spooky's The Jetsons.

Surprised they are going with DMD since it actually costs more than LCD and using clips from the show seems like a no-brainer.

Speakin of Spooky, checkout Total Nuclear Annihilation on location in WI:

DLffnYsW4AAiX9K

Shaneus

Surprised they are going with DMD since it actually costs more than LCD and using clips from the show seems like a no-brainer.

DLffnYsW4AAiX9K
Watch his talk at the Vancouver pinball thing, it covers why they do DMD over LCD :)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Went to the Silverball Museum today, they changed up a few things. They added Sorcerer, High Speed, and Dialed In, amongst others, and removed Corvette and Pinball Magic. Some games have more wear than I remember, Big Bang Bar has some non-working lights and Indy 500 has a button that isn't screwed on tight. Played Dialed In, thought it was good.

HotHamBoy

Went to the Silverball Museum today, they changed up a few things. They added Sorcerer, High Speed, and Dialed In, amongst others, and removed Corvette and Pinball Magic. Some games have more wear than I remember, Big Bang Bar has some non-working lights and Indy 500 has a button that isn't screwed on tight. Played Dialed In, thought it was good.

Dialed In is amazing. I've still never played BBB.

HotHamBoy

POTCCE-Deposit-936x1024.png

POTCLE-Deposit-936x1024.png

Is the Pirates life for you? This fast-playing, challenging and feature packed game captures memorable scenes and elements from all top five motion pictures in the series, and hosts 3.25 sextillion game play variations, so you’ll never play the same game twice. Players can choose to play as one of 22 movie characters, fire their pinball-loaded cannon from the rocking Black Pearl on the upper playfield and enjoy features such as an interactive concentric map with 216 useable combinations for gamers to experience.

TL;DR

Features a rocking upper playfield, 105 modes (25 selected at random for each play), 5x multiballs, 5x flippers, cannon, whirlpool & much more

Just when i think Stern might be on its way to stepping to JJ's level with games like Star Wars Premium (which is fantastic, btw) JJ goes super saijan.

Velinos

DLffnYsW4AAiX9K

Yeah that game is FUN! The soundtrack is amazing and integrates well with the gameplay. I really like early 80's Bally games and this game captures that feel very well. It is simple layout that will kick your ass hard. But also has a deep ruleset so you don't get bored.

Also I see that Spooky is improving on their build quality. This game feels a lot more solid that their earlier games like AMH and RZ.

HotHamBoy

Yeah that game is FUN! The soundtrack is amazing and integrates well with the gameplay. I really like early 80's Bally games and this game captures that feel very well. It is simple layout that will kick your ass hard. But also has a deep ruleset so you don't get bored.

Also I see that Spooky is improving on their build quality. This game feels a lot more solid that their earlier games like AMH and RZ.

That's because this game is made by someone else and Spooky is just distributing. It already existed in whiteboard form before Spooky picked it up.

Look at The Jetsons if you want to see a new shitty Spooky game.

JetsonsPinballPlayfield.jpg

Top Bottom