• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

This runs badly with the CM9 alpha for the Touchpad. Sound randomly drops out, complete freezes and crashes.

Also the graphics are quite jaggy and low res looking, makes it look like quite a mess.

Has anyone tried it with CM7 on the Touchpad?

Shaneus

I don't understand why so many people think that cross-platform table purchases is a feasible idea. I can't think of any game that has allowed such a thing. Each platform wants a cut of the profits, and if somebody bought all the tables on the iPhone, but also played them on the 360 and PC, Microsoft and Steam would both be out the 30% cut they normally would have received.
If I thought it was feasible, I wouldn't have used the word "hopeful".

Tap at the left/right top of the screen.
The buttons are there, though... so just underneath them?

AMUSIX

For everyone playing in portrait, try a few games in landscape. Might surprise you, especially with how easy it is to nudge.

jlevel13

The buttons are there, though... so just underneath them?

Exactly (really about anywhere in the upper third edges of the screen, below the pause button, etc). The problem with tap though is you have to take your hands off the bumpers - it doesn't feel very natural. It seems to me shake is the better option.

The price is high...if it was $1 for each table it would be easier to swallow, something bothers me about paying the same price I pay on XBLA for mobile version
Huh? Why does it bother you to pay the same price for the exact same game on two different platforms? Does it bother you to pay the same price on XBLA as a game charges on PSN? Pay the same for an XBox 360 game as for a PS3 game? The same amount of work went into the game's development, probably even a little more, so there's no reason it should be any cheaper.

Shaneus

Exactly (really about anywhere in the upper third edges of the screen, below the pause button, etc). The problem with tap though is you have to take your hands off the bumpers - it doesn't feel very natural. It seems to me shake is the better option.
Yeah, it was, but I was getting a little excited at some points and tilting when I really didn't mean to. Perhaps they'll introduce a sensitivity adjustment?

Ronabo

This runs badly with the CM9 alpha for the Touchpad. Sound randomly drops out, complete freezes and crashes.

Also the graphics are quite jaggy and low res looking, makes it look like quite a mess.

Has anyone tried it with CM7 on the Touchpad?

It locks up on occasion and has button lag. Graphics do look low res. Kinda disappointed. My pad is overclocked too.

gururoji

I absolutely love this, but I have to complain about the score handling, which is clearly still jacked. I was wrong earlier, my 2.1mil score on Black Hole still exists locally on my iPad but has never been uploaded. I just scored a 1.8mil...at which point it decided to upload one of my ~1.4mil score? If I view the Overall or My Score tabs on the leaderboard it has me at the 1.399 score, but if I go to Friends it shows my 1.8mil score...sheesh. I'd be #3 behind 1 massive cheater and a 5mil score that may or may not be legit...if it'd upload my real best score!

Thanks jlevel and Shaneus for the answer on the touchscreen nudging...seems a little bit cumbersome to me. I'm also surprised there isn't a nudge up/forward option, which is a very useful move in real life.

Anyways, my complaints are really pretty small. In my opinion, this is clearly the best videogame pinball that has ever existed. Can't wait for this on other platforms, and can't wait for more tables!

Shaneus

Anyways, my complaints are really pretty small. In my opinion, this is clearly the best videogame pinball that has ever existed. Can't wait for this on other platforms, and can't wait for more tables!
Having a jailbroken phone, I can only hope that some genius pinball fan works out how the tables are compiled and allows us to use the PinMAME pins on this engine.

It locks up on occasion and has button lag. Graphics do look low res. Kinda disappointed. My pad is overclocked too.

I've noticed that it looks considerably better in videos of it running on an iPad. Not sure if the low res look is a Touchpad problem, or if the Android version is just a janky port.

Edit: From reading reviews it seems like the Android port just wasn't made for tablet resolutions.

Gaspode_T

Played a bunch of William's Collection tonight to try to get ready for the console release!

Maybe they avoided releasing William's Collection on Games on Demand because they didn't want to screw over the future release of this game...think if anything it would increase # of fans though

Ronabo

I've noticed that it looks considerably better in videos of it running on an iPad. Not sure if the low res look is a Touchpad problem, or if the Android version is just a janky port.

Edit: From reading reviews it seems like the Android port just wasn't made for tablet resolutions.

Oh that really blows. What crap that is.

Shiv47

Sampled this on both my iPad and iPhone, but I just hate the touch interface. Can't wait for the console version.

Well, here's hoping. I'm really just a sad little creature of habit and I'm used to Steam. That and I don't want to have to manage 4-5 digital distro services for all my content.

Also, my contract is up on my cell phone and I'm looking at an iPhone or some Android thing in the near future anyway. So regardless, I will be in for some sweet pinablly goodness.

Thanks for the info.
Steam is the only PC platform where DLC delivery hasn't been a complete clusterfuck. If this was just a single purchase then it would be fine buying it elsewhere but as its built around DLC, the PC release is worthless if its not built around Steamworks.

Shaneus

Apologies for the bump, but I've just had an idea that other people might like to build on. Here's the theory, underpants-gnome style:

1. Buy iControlPad.
2. Open iControlPad, solder wires from buttons to be mapped using Blutrol (an app for jailbroken iOS devices that allows you to map iCP buttons to touch areas on the screen).
3. Build suitable pseudo-pinball table/controller with an appropriate space for your iDevice, connect buttons to side locations a la real pinball table and mount iCP somewhere for easy access. Note: the iCP is bluetooth, so you don't even need to mount the device at all.
4. ???
5. Profit.

Despite having only an iPhone, I can't say I'm not tempted to have a play around with this idea. I imagine playing Pinball Arcade with actual HAPP-style buttons would be a blast, no matter the device.

Edit: Or maybe somehow provide support for this? I don't know if it only fits 3GS or it'll house a 4/4S as well, but that's certainly plausible, although obviously no good for my preference for landscape.

Baron

Apologies for the bump, but I've just had an idea that other people might like to build on. Here's the theory, underpants-gnome style:

1. Buy iControlPad.
2. Open iControlPad, solder wires from buttons to be mapped using Blutrol (an app for jailbroken iOS devices that allows you to map iCP buttons to touch areas on the screen).
3. Build suitable pseudo-pinball table/controller with an appropriate space for your iDevice, connect buttons to side locations a la real pinball table and mount iCP somewhere for easy access. Note: the iCP is bluetooth, so you don't even need to mount the device at all.
4. ???
5. Profit.

Despite having only an iPhone, I can't say I'm not tempted to have a play around with this idea. I imagine playing Pinball Arcade with actual HAPP-style buttons would be a blast, no matter the device.

Edit: Or maybe somehow provide support for this? I don't know if it only fits 3GS or it'll house a 4/4S as well, but that's certainly plausible, although obviously no good for my preference for landscape.

You're giving me some bad, bad thoughts right now. And by bad, I mean good.

I was seriously considering making a pinball "controller" for PS3 or 360 by wiring arcade buttons to the side of a "box" of sorts. I may still do this.

Shaneus

You're giving me some bad, bad thoughts right now. And by bad, I mean good.

I was seriously considering making a pinball "controller" for PS3 or 360 by wiring arcade buttons to the side of a "box" of sorts. I may still do this.
You probably don't want to look at this then ;)

Having a think and a bit of a fake trial, you could almost get away with putting some touch-sensitive contacts just next to the B and the left analog on a 360 controller (right where the seam is) that map to LB and RB as flippers. Try it out, it actually feels like it could work! Not sure what a (very) cheap way to do it on the iPhone/Pad would be, given you have to drop $80 on a controller in the first place...

AEREC

Got this for my iPhone 4s and it's pretty solid...I dont mind the facebook integration but I wish it had gamecenter support too.

Plays pretty smoothly as well...cant wait for more tables.

Ill probably get this on steam as well, but skip the console versions, unless they are much better than Zen or Pinball FX2...which will be hard.

galvatron

For everyone playing in portrait, try a few games in landscape. Might surprise you, especially with how easy it is to nudge.

Yeah, seems to run a little smoother in widescreen...less visible polys? The touchscreen nudging in portait is bad for no logical reason. Why can't I just swipe in the direction of the nudge with whatever thumb I'd like? I think I've nudged in time once in either layout. My brain wants to swipe and by the time I use the correct input its too late.

Great game and an awesome value, though. These guys made me appreciate actual pinball with Williams collection and they're killing it again on ios. Theatre of Magic is amazing now that I actually know the rules.

Shaneus

Oooo, that's pretty cool. I signed up for a notification, hope it doesn't take too long for it to be released. I dig the wood grain, too.
Once I get it, if I end up using it as a pinball controller (and I don't find a way to add external buttons without completely butchering it) then it won't last long in that form ;)

Araxen

Banned
I was finally able to buy the game on my Droid X phone and I love TOM. I can't wait for the Vita/PS3 versions! I hate using the touchscreen and pretend there are buttons there to push so the console ports will be very welcomed.

I've used a PS3 sixaxis pad with the Android version and it works very well for flippers and nudge. It also works for launching the ball at full power, but I don't think it's possible to pull the plunger at anything less than full power (I guess the devs would need to implement support in the game for that), so still need to touch the screen for that.

I'm sure iOS probably has something similar for jailbroken devices (edit: Shaneus mentioned Blutrol above, which sounds like it does the job).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Between this and Zen Pinball, I've found myself playing more pinball than anything else on my iPad lately. So much fun.

-MB-

I've used a PS3 sixaxis pad with the Android version and it works very well for flippers and nudge. It also works for launching the ball at full power, but I don't think it's possible to pull the plunger at anything less than full power (I guess the devs would need to implement support in the game for that), so still need to touch the screen for that.

I'm sure iOS probably has something similar for jailbroken devices (edit: Shaneus mentioned Blutrol above, which sounds like it does the job).

Do you have a profile for it? I tried sixpairtool then set buttons in my custom android settings
to the regions where i touch the screens for flippers, but the game doesn't register a thing.

Minsc

Gold Member
I wonder what the chances of Fish Tales showing up are. Saw it mentioned and I remember that one from the arcades (the selection wasn't the best all the time), think it was pretty fun. It's Williams, so that probably helps a little too.

1-2 tables a month is nice (I think that's what they are aiming for), but I wouldn't mind 4+ a month either! I guess they have a lot of work for each table, to make sure it's the best it can be, but 15-30 tables a year is a little low sounding, when they are so many great ones out! :)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Was going to wait on PSN version, but given my phone's dimensions and the fact that it's out on android already, I'll probably just go with the phone version

Tobor

I wonder what the chances of Fish Tales showing up are. Saw it mentioned and I remember that one from the arcades (the selection wasn't the best all the time), think it was pretty fun. It's Williams, so that probably helps a little too.

1-2 tables a month is nice (I think that's what they are aiming for), but I wouldn't mind 4+ a month either! I guess they have a lot of work for each table, to make sure it's the best it can be, but 15-30 tables a year is a little low sounding, when they are so many great ones out! :)

Did you watch the video where they show the process they use to render the tables? Looks like a crazy amount of work for a small studio. 1-2 a month sounds impressive to me.

Philthy

One of my most anticipated games. The collection they put out on the Wii was amazing. I want this for my PS3 and will buy every table without hesitation if the engine is just as solid.

Jeff-DSA

Been playing it on my Galaxy S2 and Xoom. Works fine on both, but the Facebook integration isn't working. Still fun to play, and I'm stoked to double or triple dip on Vita or 3DS and 360.

Do you have a profile for it? I tried sixpairtool then set buttons in my custom android settings
to the regions where i touch the screens for flippers, but the game doesn't register a thing.

I used the Sixaxis Controller app and just set the buttons to the screen regions. For the plunger I mapped a swipe down.

After saving the profile you need to make sure you have the profile selected and also you must change the IME (input method) the phone is using to Sixaxis Controller.

Minsc

Gold Member
Did you watch the video where they show the process they use to render the tables? Looks like a crazy amount of work for a small studio. 1-2 a month sounds impressive to me.

Yeah, I definitely underplayed it, I was greedy! :) Watched it again, the process is impressive, seeing them take apart the machines, the decals / wireframe renders, and creating the 3D objects. It would be neat if they gave access to unlock more of the advanced features you see when it's running in the build mode, for altering physics options and other things. Basically an in-depth service menu like the Pro Pinball games had, which allowed for you to simulate different table conditions and more (obviously this would disable submitted scores, but I think people would still appreciate it). On second thought, I'd rather just see more tables.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
You know, really, I'm just happy that a dev that was as shitty as FarSight was finally found their niche. I mean come on, this was the dev responsible for Action 52 for the Genesis and Color a Dinosaur. The fact that they found their niche, something they are genuinely good at and are greatly appreciated for, is just awesome. :D

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
You know, really, I'm just happy that a dev that was as shitty as FarSight was finally found their niche. I mean come on, this was the dev responsible for Action 52 for the Genesis and Color a Dinosaur. The fact that they found their niche, something they are genuinely good at and are greatly appreciated for, is just awesome. :D

C'mon, be fair. At least pick games that they did more recent...ly... oh

BiggNife

So I got this running on my Kindle Fire and I like it a lot. Theatre of Magic is just as good as I remember it.

Also I don't have any problem with the touch controls at all, but I could see it being a bit more troublesome on a smaller screen. I think a 7 inch tablet screen is pretty much perfect for pinball.

Looking forward to Medieval Madness and Attack From Mars.

-MB-

So I got this running on my Kindle Fire and I like it a lot. Theatre of Magic is just as good as I remember it.

Also I don't have any problem with the touch controls at all, but I could see it being a bit more troublesome on a smaller screen. I think a 7 inch tablet screen is pretty much perfect for pinball.

Looking forward to Medieval Madness and Attack From Mars.

For me it's not about the screen size at all, it is the lack of tactile feedback and sometimes oversensitive touchscreen, where when hovering over it, it detects a touch and basically
screws up my flipper timing.
Got the sixaxis working and it's already much much better for me.

Shaneus

Does TPA even have iCade support?
Nah, but if you're jailbroken you can use an app called Blutrol (I thought I mentioned it in one of my posts?) that will allow you to map iCade buttons to touch areas on screen by way of a screenshot. Map one button to each half of the screen, another to the tilt areas if needed and you're done.

Tobor

Nah, but if you're jailbroken you can use an app called Blutrol (I thought I mentioned it in one of my posts?) that will allow you to map iCade buttons to touch areas on screen by way of a screenshot. Map one button to each half of the screen, another to the tilt areas if needed and you're done.

I run street legal only. Someone above said proper support is coming anyway, so it's all good.

Minsc

Gold Member
We got an update on the Kindle version:

Any plans to bring this to Kindle Fire?
15 hours ago ·

The Pinball Arcade: The game requires support for in-app purchasing from Amazon (and they currently have this functionality in Beta). We can release the game as soon as they release the feature.

The Pinball Arcade: We'll release a video of the Kindle soon. It's ready to go.

They also mentioned they are looking in to improving the graphics on the iPad 2 & definitely the iPad 3.

Did they ever say how this was coming to windows? I'm still leaning towards the xbox360 version since my wife seemed annoyed when she realized I was thinking of getting the PC version.
Still though, depending how it's released I may consider it.

Top Bottom