• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 4 Generation is Ending - What Are Your Top 5 First-Party Games This Gen?

Bloodborne
Driveclub
Until Dawn
Spider-Man
Death Stranding
*Sub Death Stranding for Uncharted 4 if the argument stands as cannot be on another platform

Sony's first party output was bonkers but these games really stood out for me. I put Death Stranding in the list as it is absolutely the most Kojima game Kojima ever Kojima'd and even though I tend to like my games more game like than movie it was quite the experience. Uncharted 4 was a perfect ending to a great series for me.

KingDankKush

Neo Member
1. God of War
2. Marvel's Spider-Man
3. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
4. Horizon Zero Dawn
5. Ghost of Tsushima

Bloodborne was developed by FromSoftware, but published by Sony...so if that counts, then I'd probably put that at #3.

Last edited:

fallingdove

1. God of War
2. Astrobot
3. Bloodborne
4. Spiderman
5. Horizon ZD

Honorable Mention:
The Last of Us 2
The Last Guardian
Dreams
Gravity Rush 2
Tearaway Unfolded
Uncharted 4

Note: I haven’t played Ghost of Tsushima yet.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Until Dawn
Bloodborne
Super Stardust Ultra
Tearaway
Gravity Rush 2

Nex Machina and Death Stranding aren't Sony first-party but they're exclusives I loved.

Haven't played or couldn't keep interest in most of the others. Ghost of Tsushima is the only other major first-party game I wanna try.

mekes

My favourite first party game is Driveclub. No joke, I’m not looking for attention in saying that. I loved the game, my favourite racing game since PGR. It had an awful launch, but by the time it had a few updates I got hooked. I got hooked trying to get top 5 on specific leaderboards, played a lot of MP, played through all of the great DLC and enjoyed it tremendously for a couple of years. It ended up being amazing value to me. You can imagine my sadness that the game shared the same eventual fate as PGR...

2nd. Bloodborne
3rd. God of War
4th. Horizon
5th. Uncharted 4.

Im only 7-8 or so hours into Ghost but it has the potential to shake my list up.

odhiex

In non particular order:

1. The Witcher 3
2. God of War
3. The Last of Us Part 2
4. Uncharted 4 / RDR 2 (ties, I'm cheating)
5. Spiderman

A lot more games that I really like this gen besides the top 5.

Last edited:

angrod14

1. The Last of Us Part II.
2. Death Stranding.
3. The Last of Us Remastered.
4. Uncharted 4 + The Lost Legacy.
5. GOW.

It was sort of an underwhelming generation to me, because I would only rate the first two in my list as truly exceptional (even when they're not perfect). As I'm not in the Bloodborne crowd (which everyone has been blowing incessantly since its release), I consider that PS3's heights were higher. Uncharted 2, TLOU Part I, MGS 4, Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, GOW 3, made a much bigger impact on me.

Last edited:

Codes 208

1. Bloodborne
2. God of War
3. Ghost of Tsushima
4. Nioh (Possibly 2)
5. Ratchet and Clank

Bloodborne is technically more of a second party exclusive (Sony published it but From made it)

but I’m counting it dammit.
Witcher 3
Bloodborne
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Neither of these are first party. Neither is fully exclusive either (FF7 being a timed exclusive and TW3 being cross-plat from the beginning)

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
with more games coming in 21 i'd not say is ending...
1.- Gravity rush 2 and remastered
2.-Shadow of the Colossus
3.-Spiderman
4.-The last of us part II
5.-The Last Guardian

Plus Bloodborne

Thank you Japan Studio and their magic

GametimeUK

1. Astro Bot
2. Shadow of the Colossus
3. Bloodborne
4. Spider-Man
5. Ratchet and Clank

When I played Bloodborne for the first time I was still mainly a console gamer. After playing at 60fps as a minimum for years now it has dropped Bloodborne a few ranks because the performance is so shit. That being said if I could still stomach it, it would be number 1. Here's hoping to a 60fps cap on PS5.

Astro Bot is super surprising. I have a soft spot for platformers. Astro Bot had me playing games in a whole new way. The game uses the controller, you as a character within the game world, the perspective of VR and the headset in general in such creative ways it was a joy to see what would happen next.

Shadow of the Colossus is what it is. Amazing remake I really enjoyed it. Masterpiece game and only ranked 2nd because I've played it before. This is what I love about gaming. Give me enough of the plot to motivate me and let me make my own journey. Less is more and it uses gaming as a medium a lot more effectively than these "cinematic" games that wrestles control from the player and spoon feeds everything to you.

Ratchet and Clank PS4 was my intro to the series. I finished it and immediately restarted it and beat it again. I NEVER do that. I wanted to go for the platinum, but one of the trophies didn't pop for me and I locked myself out of a card trophy so I've put it down. 60fps would have been super nice here.

Spidey is my fave super hero. This game did him justice. I'm pissed off I didn't wait for a PS5 version for 60fps, but how was I to know?

My thoughts.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
1. Uncharted 4
2. Last Of Us 2
3. Horizon Zero Dawn
4. Infamous Second Son
5. Killzone Shadowfall (yes l thought it was good!)

Aion002

Bloodborne.
Ghost of Tsushima
Death Stranding
God of War
Uncharted Lost Legacy

BB is the game of the generation for me, developed by FS with Sony Japan. Is owned by Sony.

Death Stranding is a Sony IP made with a Sony engine.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
No order.

Death Stranding
The Last of Us 2
Destiny
God of War
Gran Turismo Sport

Runner up: Resident Evil 7, Bloodborne, Street Fighter V, Dragon Quest XI

Last edited:

ChrisB

Infamous SS
Horizon Zero Dawn
Alienation
God of War
Ghosts of Tsushima

Bonus:
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Spiderman
Bloodborne
Drive Club

Haven't played:
Uncharted 4
Days Gone
Gran Turismo Sport (Own this but not playing without a wheel)
Persona 5
Ratchet & Clank

Aidah

1. Bloodborne.
2. God of War.

These two are masterpieces, with Bloodborne being by far the better game.

Then in no particular order: Gravity Rush Remastered, Last Guardian, Death Stranding.

Then there are at least 15 more quality first party releases.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Until Dawn was tight and Last Guardian seemed chill.

I really hope I get to play more of these on PC sooner than later.

Digity

In no particular order.

1. Death Stranding
2. The Last Of Us 2
3. GT Sport
4. The Last Guardian
5. The Shadow Of Colossus

Honourable mentions:
1. God Of War
2. Uncharted: Lost Legacy

mhirano

Bloodborne: GOAT
Ghost of Tsushima
Spiderman
Shadow of the Colossus
P.T.

Haven't beat God of War, TLOU2, Death Stranding, Days Gone, Horizon nor FFVII remake yet.

Last edited:

Neolombax

In no particular order:
  • Infamous: Second Son
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Uncharted 4
  • God of War
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
Haven't played Spiderman, Death Stranding or Days Gone, probably get them at a discount. I dont see myself getting a PS5 anytime soon, so I'm waiting for the inevitable super discount. Nioh and Bloodborne are amazingly well made games, I just suck at these type of games, hence less enjoyment.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
1. God of War
2. Death Stranding
3. Until Dawn
4. Detroit: Become Human

CAB_Life

1.) BB
2.) GoW
3.) The Order—shame about the length, but it was one Hell of a tech/ production showcase.

Nothing else tbh. Horizon and Death Stranding, especially, are where their 1st party stuff lost me for the first time in 20 years. I adored most of the PS3/ Vita era stuff and would have Soul Sacrifice, WKC 1/2 and the OG Demon’s Souls on this list if it was applicable.

Ryu Kaiba

From Sony specifically, in no particular order:
Bloodborne
God of War
The Last of Us Part 2
The Last Guardian
Infamous Second Son

Honorable Mentions:
Batman Arkham VR
Astrobot VR
Spiderman

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

1) Bloodborne
2) God of War
3) Horizon
4) Days Gone
5) Spider-Man

I haven't played Ghost yet but I assume it'd be on the list easily,probably replacing Spider-Man.

Top Bottom