• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S versions of Squadrons have a critical performance difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Not to be a dick, but what’s the use of a post like this except flame-bait and System Wars? So the Xbox fan boys can like your post (happened), and the Sony fanboys can come in here and argue (happening)?

Or so rational adults can put you to their ignore list?

Which I did

Last edited:

aries_71

If this becomes a trend, which I doubt it since power difference didn’t seem to be that big, I would expect a PS5 early life update in a couple of years.

Last edited:

Eternal21

I never understood Sony's decision to not go with extra power. The small difference in PS4 vs X1 is what won them last gen. Should've pushed 12-14TF, and added extra $100 to the price. Still would have sold out. Now we'll be spending the next few years reading about how it underperforms when compared to SeriesX.

rnlval

I never understood Sony's decision to not go with extra power. The small difference in PS4 vs X1 is what won them last gen. Should've pushed 12-14TF, and added extra $100 to the price. Still would have sold out. Now we'll be spending the next few years reading about how it underperforms when compared to SeriesX.
Without Kinect distraction, X1's APU size would have supported 28 CU size GPU i.e. 32 MB eSRAM's area size could be replaced by a second 14 CU cluster.

The danger with a very large SRAM is reducing the overall raw compute power.

You got 7 years to get used to stuff like this since the Series X is 20% more powerful than the PS5 according to IGN Series X review.

The link says that PS5 has improved lighting

So if the game is the same resolution & framerate as the PS4 Pro that would mean they are using Ray-tracing or something on PS5

Improved lighting doesn’t mean ray tracing. And yes, XBOX Series Console also have improved lighting. Anyway, this game doesn’t have any ray tracing at all.
let’s face it though, even many first party games on PS5 run UP TO 60fps and are dynamic resolution. It’s a fact.
Maybe EA wanted to go with a locked framerate and 60fps was the only they could do.

You got 7 years to get used to stuff like this since the Series X is 20% more powerful than the PS5 according to IGN Series X review.

A 20% delta of GPU performance doesn't get you double the frame rate, clearly there is a reason they are holding back PS5 modes. PS5 could run this at 120FPS technically, but they must either be lazy or afraid of breaking compatibility with VR or something.

Blond

Banned
I mean yeah but it's an EA game who cares

A 20% delta of GPU performance doesn't get you double the frame rate, clearly there is a reason they are holding back PS5 modes. PS5 could run this at 120FPS technically, but they must either be lazy or afraid of breaking compatibility with VR or something.

It's okay to admit we have the weaker console dude, yikes.

Last edited:
clearly there is a reason they are holding back PS5 modes.
Overheating

gaah6Bc.jpg

This is because, the Series X CPU - is not pushed past it's limit to obtain it's CPU speed - whereas PS5 has a plainly slower CPU, that actually struggles to maintain it's speed.

JLB

Banned
wondering how many of those here talking about “lazy development” have ever written a single line of code.

Tschumi

You're telling me that squadrons has a high resolution mode to cope with xbox having two tiers of consoles.. and you're pretty sure that ps5 will have the same performance as ps4 pro?

How do you get the balls to write such tripe?

NEbeast

Gamepass includes EA access, thats a big incentive to prioritize the Xboxes. The article also says it runs in ps4 pro BC mode , you seem to miss that out ,I wonder why? Clearly there is a reason for this, VR is a safe bet.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure this is because XSS and XSX are running an auto-improved XboxOne version and PS5 is running PS4-pro profile (like the GitHub leak suggested)
This makes zero sense, it's a port. The Xbox One game doesn't have 120 FPS options so the game was recoded for Series S/X and ported.

wondering how many of those here talking about “lazy development” have ever written a single line of code.
I could be barely any of them even know what Visual Studio is.

If it were simply because of Xbox BC, then why does it even have a 120fps option? Don’t think the Xbox One version even had that so it’s clearly n intentional update.

Last edited:
The answer is actually really simple people.
They are probably developing an actual ps5 version but are hush about because it would spoil an officially announced ps5 feature.
PSVR 2 most likely.

bB7XheC.gif

Last edited:
This is because, the Series X CPU - is not pushed past it's limit to obtain it's CPU speed - whereas PS5 has a plainly slower CPU, that actually struggles to maintain it's speed.

Wrong the CPU cores are the same, the CPU isn’t being pushed its limit at all. It’s limited by PS5s overall power consumption limits.

onQ123

Where does it sound like this? Ps5 version is closer to the pro version if anything.
because if the game is going from 4K 60fps on Xbox One X to 4K 120fps on Xbox Series X it would be using the extra power for better framerate and if the game is staying the same resolution & framerate from PS4 Pro to PS5 the extra power has to be going somewhere.

DonJorginho

Banned
Great for the Series S/X but luckily this is a pretty average game no-one cares too much about, and not many people can take advantage of 120fps yet anyway.

It goes both ways though, Watch Dogs Legion on XSS for example is a dynamic 1080p where as XSX and PS5 are a dynamic 4K it seems going off analysis from Alex from DF.

Still, great news if you're an Xbox Series Owner who wants to take advantage of 120fps.

Wrong the CPU cores are the same, the CPU isn’t being pushed its limit at all. It’s limited by PS5s overall power consumption limits.
Here is the topical on form information, for those interested - where Cerny himself states they increase the frequency/speed of the CPU. Frequency means Speed. So they do in fact Increase (not decrease) the standard CPU speed and both CPU and GPU run in BOOST mode.

They then decrease the CPU speed as needed to alleviate heating/strain on the CPU and to increase performance decrease performance of the gpu.

But make no mistake, the CPU as standard on Ps5 is burdened by a higher speed than it was intended.

Translation - we continuously overburden the CPU and GPU by overclocking both and attempt to alleviate that burden by using variable frequencies in order to relieve strain on either the CPU or GPU.

Overclocking as a solution to catch up performance wise is not a preferred solution, it stresses the CPU and GPU and may eventually limit it's lifespan.

Again, Cerny Literally Verbatim states - "WE increase the frequency of CPU and GPU, until they reach the capabilities of the system's cooling solution"

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Overclocking as a solution to catch up performance wise is not a preferred solution, it stresses the CPU and GPU and may eventually limit it's lifespan.

Boost frequency and over clocking beyond the intended operational frequency at manufacturing are two different things and this sounds more like FUD than anything. Boost clocks and race to idle, part of the implementation for these Zen cores, are a way to get performance and minimise power consumption ( for more on boost clocks: https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/digitalfoundry-2020-playstation-5-the-mark-cerny-tech-deep-dive). It is possible that voltage is reduced alongside frequency when the system is not running at max boost clocks, but the CPU and GPU are designed and binned (part of the same SoC, but testing boost clocks of either or both would be part of the final verification) in that exact operating range and the cooling matches that in its own range of operating conditions (external temperature being a factor it needs to consider too).

The chips are binned for frequency too and are designed to allow both CPU and GPU to run at max boost clocks with the power usage being the real limit based on the workload: running expensive AVX256 work on all 8 Zen 2 cores as well as keeping compute units busy with their most power hungry instructions would cause the system to slightly reduce clocks to stay within the unit’s thermal limits. Efficiency has a part in this too in the sense that only one core running power hungry work would not necessarily require a reduced clock on the CPU.

This can also happens when either is running very very light workload that does not max the unit depending on their configuration. On top of this, if for example the GPU feels particularly taxed and the CPU has power budget to share it can limits its clockspeed a bit and allow the GPU to stay at max clocks despite its heavy power hungry workload efficiently running on all CU’s.

Kagey K

Banned
Is that a new game releasing on next gen consoles or is it an old game?
Which is worse?

It was a current game released a month ago for current gen systems, while also having dev kits for next gen systems. So the planning would have been done in advance for next gen upgrades.

You decide to do with that information what you will.

Binned literally means - A CPU at a lower clock speed was sampled by engineers internally then cherry picked - put through rigorous testing and voltage checked - then the CPU Speed was increased above it's intended limit Internally for use as a product and or servernode/workstation.

These are CPU's running above original frequency speed any way you approach it - no amount of double speak or misrepresentation will ever alleviate this fact.

And Cerny's quote only proves to substantiate this truth

"We increase the frequency of CPU and GPU, until they reach the capabilities of the system's cooling solution"

the misrepresentation attempting to be made by gamers to the perhaps unknowing consumer's about this mere fact is very appalling
now that I've seen it in action. Shamefully appalling actually.

Here is the topical on form information, for those interested - where Cerny himself states they increase the frequency/speed of the CPU. Frequency means Speed. So they do in fact Increase (not decrease) the standard CPU speed and both CPU and GPU run in BOOST mode.

They then decrease the CPU speed as needed to alleviate heating/strain on the CPU and to increase performance decrease performance of the gpu.

But make no mistake, the CPU as standard on Ps5 is burdened by a higher speed than it was intended.

Translation - we continuously overburden the CPU and GPU by overclocking both and attempt to alleviate that burden by using variable frequencies in order to relieve strain on either the CPU or GPU.

Again, Cerny Literally Verbatim states - "WE increase the frequency of CPU and GPU, until they reach the capabilities of the system's cooling solution"

PS5 doesn’t overclock the CPU. 3.5 GHz is well within what the Zen 2 can handle, it’s actually under clocked to a degree, because of PS5s thermal limitations.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Its suspect the reflections are perfectly behind the text xD. Anyway I saw the box and would be easy to get hot there.
I can see your point, I’m going to wait and see. I draw no conclusions either way. If it is real, you can understand why when you see the conditions the box is left to survive in.

He was the first person I saw claim it was fake so I was hoping there was proof out there somewhere.

It makes no difference to me either way.

Last edited:
PS5 doesn’t overclock the CPU. 3.5 GHz is well within what the Zen 2 can handle, it’s actually under locked to a degree.
The quote by Cerney plainly states they in fact do, you are free to believe what you wish but the fact is - you're just speaking gibberish and ignoring Cerny's own words.

A binned CPU, is a CPU cherry picked by engineers, voltage checked - then higher frequencies are applied to speed up the CPU past it's intended CPU speed - the CPU in question is a CPU that was not originally intended to reach the speed's specified - but since these are binned samples put into production they are considered stable CPU's at variable frequencies which is why the CPU in fact now Slows down too - because it was taken of the shelf, sped up internally - and applied to a console.

INDISPUTABLE. Just as the quote is indisputable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom