• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 is the only product drawing crowds on Black Friday 2020, and it's not even discounted

LivingD3AD

The PlayStation 5 appears to be the most in-demand item this Black Friday, and it's not even discounted.

8nbBUM2.jpg

In stark contrast to the empty malls and big box retailer stores across the United States, GameStop drew massive lines on Black Friday. The crowds weren't there for a big game launch, but for the possibility of snagging the new PlayStation 5 console.

That's because the PS5 is the hottest product this holiday – so popular that thousands of people were willing to line up amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, with infection rates increasing rapidly across the US.

Just as soon as retailers restock the $500 console online, it swiftly sells out. It's in such high demand, and such low supply, that a robust resale market has sprung up — the PlayStation 5 sells for nearly double its retail price at resale sites like StockX and eBay.

Last edited:

Fahdis

Still not buying this shit... hope everyone else has a good time with their backlog though.

Edit - For seething Fanboys getting salty at not wanting something:
- This fat fuck console is ugly as sin, I'd rather wait for the revision as it is giving people hardware issues...
- Instead I bought my LG CX (the real upgrade)
- Waiting for the 3080Ti price reveal (it doesn't mean I'll buy it outright) because my backlog is huge on Steam
- I will not pay $60 for a DLC of Spiderman
- Demon's Souls is a Remake (a beautiful one)
- If you're new to FPS and Resolution stuff then well... people getting happy at 1080p 120 Hz...
- I have an extensive backlog of PS Exclusives
- I do not buy games at launch when they will be discounted significantly later since I have patience (MGSV and SFV were great examples) of this shit.
- Imagine shaming someone for not buying this shit
- Where exactly is the value right now? Your backlog of PS Plus Collection, Miles Cross-Gen Morales and Demons Souls Remake that Im playing on PS3 these days (the original)? It'll be a good 2 years before these ebony and ivory giant air purifier with coil whine will be worth much. Waiting for the games for now.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Logically speaking, it's not surprising that the ps5 is such a massive driving force in demand. The playstation 4 was and continues to be a massive success for Sony. The system has a plethora of first and third party titles driving that continued success.

The Xbox One has a ton of high quality titles as well, but unfortunately the number of systems bought is far less than ps4 (supposedly. xbox one numbers are no longer shares with the public.That might be because of unsatisfactory sales numbers, but i dont think there is any concrete and verified proof of just how many xbones sold. So any sales numbers shared are theoretical and here say...maybe.) so there are far less people out there that have the system and hyped by it's true succesor which is the xbox series x. The series s is a pseudo succesor i am guessing, but since it can play series x games, one can make a case it is a true, lower cost successor to the one x as well.

Kagey K

Banned
The PlayStation 5 appears to be the most in-demand item this Black Friday, and it's not even discounted.

8nbBUM2.jpg

In stark contrast to the empty malls and big box retailer stores across the United States, GameStop drew massive lines on Black Friday. The crowds weren't there for a big game launch, but for the possibility of snagging the new PlayStation 5 console.

That's because the PS5 is the hottest product this holiday – so popular that thousands of people were willing to line up amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, with infection rates increasing rapidly across the US.

Just as soon as retailers restock the $500 console online, it swiftly sells out. It's in such high demand, and such low supply, that a robust resale market has sprung up — the PlayStation 5 sells for nearly double its retail price at resale sites like StockX and eBay.
How is that possible if it’s sold out? Or it didn’t sell out and they held stock back?

Is that responsible in the COVID age?

Or is a site making up stories?

So many questions that will never be answered.

Last edited:
How is that possible if it’s sold out? Or it didn’t sell out and they held stock back?

Is that responsible in the COVID age?

Or is a site making up stories?

So many questions that will never be answered.
Lining up for the possibility of buying one, people are going to try. Is it responsible during Covid age? Probably not. Is Yahoo News now also Playstation Shills? I mean they have videos/pics of people sleeping/waiting in line for the possibility of a PS5. Are they being hyperbolic yea? a little, it could also just be in that area 🤷‍♂️ ... making up stories, that's just conspiracy shit.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Lining up for the possibility of buying one, people are going to try. Is it responsible during Covid age? Probably not. Is Yahoo News now also Playstation Shills? I mean they have videos/pics of people sleeping/waiting in line for the possibility of a PS5, hyperbolic yea a little it could be just in that area 🤷‍♂️ ... making up stories, that's just conspiracy shit.
You can tell it’s not from this year because there is not 1 mask in the shot.

It’s a dead giveaway in 2020.

But go ahead and tell me I’m wrong.

You can tell it’s not from this year because there is not 1 mask in the shot.

It’s a dead giveaway in 2020.

But go ahead and tell me I’m wrong.
Dawg.. Scroll down. So the tweets from Jake and Eric they reference... those people are fake tweeting for what? To hype up the PS5 :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: You guys are too much. Is there something about this story that is hurting or something? It's always fake news, or shills, or some kind of conspiracy with you people LOL So people are lining up for PS5's... so what?

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Dawg.. Scroll down. So the tweets from Jake and Eric they reference... those people are fake tweeting for what? To hype up the PS5 :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: You guys are too much. Is there something about this story that is hurting or something? It's always fake news, or shills, or some kind of conspiracy with you people LOL So people are lining up for PS5's... so what?
I’m pretty sure I called it as fake, so I’m not sure, should I be vindicated, embarrassed or just surprised?

Its disgusting how far some places will go to try to prove thier story as fact.

Show your work, don’t use previously shot footage.

(Its obvious because even in a crowd of anti maskers one or 2 would have a mask or have one around their necks)

Literally in the article:
Black Friday 2019, left, and Black Friday 2020, right, both at Macy's in New York City. Getty Images

Concern

Its disgusting how far some places will go to try to prove thier story as fact.

Show your work, don’t use previously shot footage.

(Its obvious because even in a crowd of anti maskers one or 2 would have a mask or have one around their necks)

But its hilarious how gullible fanboys eat this shit up. The consoles are sold out everywhere. Gamestops were only getting 2 ps5s and 4 xbox. Only saw a handful of people lined up like idiots.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Maybe someone was mistaken Black Friday with BLM and were already justifying getting a ps5 for free.

Still impressive though. Has the COVID 19 restrictions been temporarily been removed due to black Friday? I see a lot of big crowds with no face masks.

8nbBUM2.jpg

Yes, not because they want to keep it. They want to sell it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Stock is a liability but it won’t cost Sony the generation they’re curb stomping Microsoft and they don’t even have the stock. Amazing.

I'm not buying a PS5 either. I have the money in my account right now but what games are there even out?

Plenty of games on the PS4 I haven't played yet. Plenty of games on Steam I haven't played yet. Plenty of games in my PCSX2 folder I haven't played yet.

PS5pro I'll be there day one.

Unknown?

Still not buying this shit... hope everyone else has a good time with their backlog though.

- This fat fuck console is ugly as sin, I'd rather wait for the revision as it is giving people hardware issues... instead I bought my LG CX and am waiting for the 3080Ti price reveal.
- I do not buy games at launch when they will be discounted significantly later since I have patience
- Imagine shaming someone for not buying this shit, people really have become stupid

Thanks.
I think you just won VGA's biggest fanboy of the year award.

Unknown?

Aren't most Gamestops only getting a few in at a time? Why line up? Seems pointless if you are one of the later people in the line.
Baseless hope. People at Walmart are going to to the PlayStation section to check despite knowing they don't have any in stores.

Bankai

- This fat fuck console is ugly as sin, I'd rather wait for the revision as it is giving people hardware issues... instead I bought my LG CX and am waiting for the 3080Ti price reveal.
- I do not buy games at launch when they will be discounted significantly later since I have patience
- Imagine shaming someone for not buying this shit, people really have become stupid

Thanks.

Which ALL run better on PS5 :messenger_kissing_smiling:

It's the reason I'm not playing certain titles ATM on ps4pro, because I know it'll be a better experience on PS5.

Last edited:

J____Av

Thanks.

You probably got hate because you came in like a condescending D-bag

I'm going to be honest with you. Xbox is great and I've always enjoyed it. But if the prices on eBay mean anything people are willing to pay more for PS5 than XSX. It's clearly what people want more. PlayStation is more popular. Sorry.
I will agree with that, the prices for playstation 5 and demand is higher than the XSX and for many good reasons. I'm enjoying my ps5 while the XSX lies dormant for now until games that run better or exclusives come out.

I just said the article makes it sound like all the demand is for PS.

Paulxo87

I have not seen this much hysteria since PS2. It's absolutely ridiculous what's going on right now. I might buy a couple more surveillance cameras for my home. That's how desperate some people are out there for this thing.

Last edited:

H-I-M

Thanks.

giphy.gif

S0ULZB0URNE

Thanks.
It's ok you aren't buying a PS5...enjoy fighting the bots for the shit that is the 3080ti :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom