• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 will be the last console ever produced.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Funny timing! I just received a notification that my Stadia trial will expire in 2 days. I only subscribed to get a game for cheap with the coupon but I never tried it. Not even once. I couldn't find the app on my Android TV and playing console games on a phone is a waste of time.

Cloud gaming is not the same at all.

REDRZA MWS

Speed of light? You play on console bud. Aren't you used to 30fps dogshit performance? Let's not pretend it's not that hard to beat with cloud gaming.

I'll be using hardware for a long time to come too but considering how long console cycles are I can see people living in urban areas getting better performance on cloud gaming in 5 years that PS5 etc.
FPS has zero to do with this. It’s the timing of your input on the controller to when that action happens on screen. Streaming has far too much latency to ever replicate dedicated hardware.

REDRZA MWS

Western media really wants Xbox to succeed
This isn’t about Microsoft vs Sony. This is about streaming games vs dedicated hardware. Can gaf ever stop console warring bullshit? Sony has a streaming service too. Once again, it will never be as good as dedicated hardware.

Bryank75

Banned
Sony is a very small fish when compared to Microsoft. Most of Sony’s businesses are falling, these days the PlayStation brand is their biggest earner, I expect the mobile division to go under next.
You've no idea what you're talking about.

In terms of market cap, one measurement. Yes MSFT is bigger than Sony.

However that is over-simplistic, Sony is based in Japan which just came out of a 20 year recession which depressed company values there and were at the same time at a currecy disadvantage.

Sony has a very comparable amount of assets to MSFT, Sony also has much much less debt. While MSFT has something around 150 billion debt.

Sony is a conglomerate, consisting of many diverse businesses... this often results in what is called a conglomerate discount, which actually values a company as less than it should be.

For instance Sony owns the biggest music company in the world, with the biggest back catalog of music licenses.... this business alone is valued at over 60 billion dollars, probably much more now as that valuation was done a while ago.

Sony Pictures is also valued at over 30 billion alone, so add those two and you are already approaching 100 billion and you have not even touched PlayStation, Banking, Imaging & sensor technology and consumer electronics.

Their cash is being stockpiled right now, they have over 40 billion, which is up 60% from just a quarter or two ago.

So why are you trying to perpetuate this idea that Sony is a failing business? Especially when they could buy a business like ViacomCBS or MGM or a multitude of others if they so desired.... They just bought Crunchyroll for 1.2 Billion.

Bryank75

Banned
Consoles nowadays are budget PCs with a fancy cases so they will always be around as long as there are buyers.
Exactly, they are very accessible and have perks like exclusive games and features and excellent performance per dollar / euro.

To do game streaming, you still need a controller and at that stage why not just get a console with one payout instead of a subscription for an inferior experience.
There are loads of free to play games on PlayStation already.

mckmas8808

Banned
I love how the media keeps pushing cloud gaming as the future yet every metric we have available shows the majority of consumers just don't give a shit. Stadia, Geforce Now, PS Now, Xcloud, etc are all niche as fuck. These are services trying to find an audience that doesn't exist.

It makes you wonder why do they push this narrative so hard. It can't be solely because they are being paid off. It's gotta be something else.

wOs

I don't see it, but these threads come up at the start of every generation. So what do I know.

NickFire

It makes you wonder why do they push this narrative so hard. It can't be solely because they are being paid off. It's gotta be something else.
There's most likely many reasons. Some just believe it. Some recognize controversy sells. Some may be influenced by editorial or ad department direction. Some may work for a company that is owned by a parent company who also sells internet access. Some are just really stupid and need to submit some work. The list can go on and on I bet. But what I know for certain is that I've heard predictions to this effect for a really long time. The rationale might change, but consoles have been doomed since Atari was still making them.

mckmas8808

Banned
There's most likely many reasons. Some just believe it. Some recognize controversy sells. Some may be influenced by editorial or ad department direction. Some may work for a company that is owned by a parent company who also sells internet access. Some are just really stupid and need to submit some work. The list can go on and on I bet. But what I know for certain is that I've heard predictions to this effect for a really long time. The rationale might change, but consoles have been doomed since Atari was still making them.

Man........everyone of those reasons sound possible lol.

FStubbs

You've no idea what you're talking about.

In terms of market cap, one measurement. Yes MSFT is bigger than Sony.

However that is over-simplistic, Sony is based in Japan which just came out of a 20 year recession which depressed company values there and were at the same time at a currecy disadvantage.

Sony has a very comparable amount of assets to MSFT, Sony also has much much less debt. While MSFT has something around 150 billion debt.

Sony is a conglomerate, consisting of many diverse businesses... this often results in what is called a conglomerate discount, which actually values a company as less than it should be.

For instance Sony owns the biggest music company in the world, with the biggest back catalog of music licenses.... this business alone is valued at over 60 billion dollars, probably much more now as that valuation was done a while ago.

Sony Pictures is also valued at over 30 billion alone, so add those two and you are already approaching 100 billion and you have not even touched PlayStation, Banking, Imaging & sensor technology and consumer electronics.

Their cash is being stockpiled right now, they have over 40 billion, which is up 60% from just a quarter or two ago.

So why are you trying to perpetuate this idea that Sony is a failing business? Especially when they could buy a business like ViacomCBS or MGM or a multitude of others if they so desired.... They just bought Crunchyroll for 1.2 Billion.
IIRC Sony's business was failing about a decade ago, when their stocks were reduced to junk bond status and they were being told to strip down to an insurance company and sell off the electronics and media businesses. They did get rid of stuff like VAIO computers.

Bryank75

Banned
IIRC Sony's business was failing about a decade ago, when their stocks were reduced to junk bond status and they were being told to strip down to an insurance company and sell off the electronics and media businesses. They did get rid of stuff like VAIO computers.
10 years ago, they were not in a good place and as I said Japan was in deep recession.

Now they are nearly in the top 3 most valuable companies in Japan and outperforming all their peers.

If you actually see their strategy, they are very clever in what they are doing in specific industries.... for instance there is a streaming war between Netflix, Disney, AT&T (HBO) and Amazon etc.
So instead of getting caught in the middle, they are acting like an arms dealer.... selling content to the highest bidder. Making the highest quality content like Cobra Kai, Breaking Bad, The Crown, The Boys etc..... all made by Sony TV productions and then their films too.

Disney and Netflix are bleeding themselves dry to create original content, their cash is drying up and Sony is making bank out of the entire streaming war.

MacReady13

I'll never get the need to push for cloud gaming over what we have now. Never will I understand it. What we have now is perfectly fine. Why the need for change? What reason would I want to go cloud over what I have now? It doesn't benefit me AT ALL!
And no, this won't be Sony's last console. Probably same with Microsoft and definitely not with Nintendo. Especially not with the high demand of these consoles and the large sales. Cloud gaming takes over than I'm over with gaming. Simple as that. Fuck cloud gaming and fuck subscription gaming services.

Bryank75

Banned
I'll never get the need to push for cloud gaming over what we have now. Never will I understand it. What we have now is perfectly fine. Why the need for change? What reason would I want to go cloud over what I have now? It doesn't benefit me AT ALL!
And no, this won't be Sony's last console. Probably same with Microsoft and definitely not with Nintendo. Especially not with the high demand of these consoles and the large sales. Cloud gaming takes over than I'm over with gaming. Simple as that. Fuck cloud gaming and fuck subscription gaming services.
The thing with streaming is, it is not cyclical or evolutionary...

Once you subscribe, it is just there and there is nothing EVER to look forward to anymore... there is no hype, there is no excitement. It actually eliminates a lot of the excitement of gaming and leaves it to the corporation to upgrade their facilities which is very detached and could take 10 or 15 years.

A console launch will always overshadow that and make the cloud look pretty shit (it is shit). Also, every holiday or popular game launch, the cloud gamers will be waiting in queue or their service will be down or throttled, while console gamers and PC gamers will have no such issue and will have far superior experiences in general.

ape2man

LOL, NO... we are moving to 8k then 16k .... if everyone who plays games does that on the cloud it would destroy the fucking internet. They would need to do some major changes to the infrastructure EVERYWHERE... for this to work for everyone.

Europe that has pretty good infra.. had to ask netflix to lower to 1080p max because the network could not handle everyone watching 4k.

FPS has zero to do with this. It’s the timing of your input on the controller to when that action happens on screen. Streaming has far too much latency to ever replicate dedicated hardware.

That is so true, the latency barrier cannot be overcome. On top of that hardcore gaming is not some cheap video streaming, gaming gets ever more demanding in terms of h/w with each year. What are they going to do have tens of millions of state of the art h/w costing 500+$ that they need to replace entirely every 5 years? Right now there are wait lines to play when the streaming services reach max capacity. Consoles have 100+Million userbases, and the number of people playing console games at the same time is probably in the tens of millions.

Say 10$ a month cost, it'll take more than 4 years to recoup the 500+$ investment, and that's without counting the cost of game development, electricity, maintenance, and licenses.

On top of that not only is there latency but video compression means the quality of the image is far lower than what's available in consoles.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned

Great point! Plus, why view cloud gaming as something separate from traditional gaming? It's weird how these videogame talking heads can't allow a future to exist where Xcloud, Stadia, LUNA, and PSNow all exist "ALONG" with digital downloading of games and physical media.

For some reason they need everything traditional to go away, just to have the "new" thing around.

Interesting article.

Sony may win the console battle with Microsoft but it may very well lose the war. Even Microsoft seems to acknowledge they are looking to compete with Google and Amazon and Sony isn't even their concern anymore.

Microsoft has the infrastructure and know how to potentially dominate Sony over Cloud gaming. I like being able to stream games myself. Will PlayStation exclusives be enough?

https://www.ccn.com/the-ps5-could-be-sonys-last-gaming-console-ever/
These people keep trying to make cloud gaming a thing, it's been going on for almost a decade and it's all pie in the sky right now. Sony already has streaming which is basically all that cloud gaming is and Phil Spencer even says that'll never match the console experience.

Lose the war? Nah. Google's not even fighting anymore and Amazon shutters games months after launch.

That being said, if AMD or Unreal 5 can figure out a half decent software-based DLSS competitor, I ABSOLUTELY could see the PS5 and XSX being the last console "generation".

They both need bigger hard drives though.

There will be a PlayStation 6 and someone will write another premature article about how it could be the last console. And probably there are similar articles for Microsoft and Nintendo. It's a shame, really. Do people think cloud gaming is going to replace how we normally play video games? If anything, it would co-exist, like how VR gaming has become just another way to play.

except for us old farts in an old web forum, no one gives a crap to old consoles, old AAA gaming out there

think of all those kids playing mobile games, pc freebie indies, and even a growing audience for streaming platforms... heck, there've been lots of videos of excited kids getting an Oculus Quest 2 for Xmas - kids getting excited over VR! that "gimmick" old farts in this forum love to hate!

this is not the 90s anymore. super productions meant to run well in 5 yo closed boxes is not enticing any longer...

I'm pretty sure Nintendo will still make dedicated game hardware aka console.

Also, Playstation isn't going anywhere, there will be a 6.

Hezekiah

Banned
Remember when we had the same articles telling us the PS4 and XO were the last consoles that will ever be made?

Or before that when the PS3, 360 and Wii were?

It wouldn't be a new console generation without the traditional 'consoles are doomed!' fear mongering from journalists.

I almost wonder if they have a mad libs like template for these articles, with gaps left for the console or generation and the reason they definitely will stop being desirable products this time.
Yeah I remember a number of publications being adamant that PS4 and Xbox One were going to be the last home consoles. Just three years later....

dcx4610

Not happening but I think the next system having a disc drive will be very low. Perhaps it'll have a disc drive but the role will be reversed where the digital version will be preferred/better selling model and the physical will be produced in low numbers for the collectors.

Enjay

Banned
Eh I had a good run. From the NES up until whenever playstation pulls an apple and bricks the ps4 with updates.

anothertech

Lol at anyone that thinks game streaming will catch up to dedicated hardware in the next decade or even two decades.

What do you think hardware capabilities will be at that time? Standing still?

MS is talking out their asses when they say this shit.

Valedix

Gold Member
jqgsycanfavvbig.jpg

It’s that time of the gen again. Dawn of a new gen, when shitty analysts and fake gaming journalists come to predict the future of gaming, and tell us that consoles are dying and that PlayStation is on its last legs even though the PS5 just had the biggest console launch in history and is completely sold out everywhere. I never get tired of listening to these clowns that aren’t gamers try to tell me where I’ll be gaming in 6 years time. The day console gaming disappears is the day I go PCMR 100%. I will never rely on cloud gaming. I’ve tried all the game streaming services with my 1Gbps internet and they are all dogshit compared to gaming on my PC and PS5. I’m not trading the superior experience of gaming on consoles for shitty input lag and inferior picture quality.

Last edited:

Data Ghost

Consoles aren't going anywhere for a while yet unless a LOT changes during this generation. People don't want the likes of Stadia at this point in time, people want a dedicated games console. Until the alternatives to consoles are IRRESISTIBLY compelling then, no.

NinjaBoiX

Cloud gaming needs to be pristine to be worthwhile and that’ll take years, potentially decades to be feasible for the mass market.

I tried stadia for the month trial and I played all of 15 minutes of sniper elite 4 before realising my connection just isn’t good enough for it to be worthwhile.

I’m interested, but the infrastructure isn’t there yet.

HTK

Banned
Folks been wrong about this for about a decade now, if they keep coming up with these articles I'm sure eventually they'll be right. I don't think it's going to happen quite yet.

Top Bottom