• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation Classic $39.99 Deal is Back!

playstation-classic-1158017.jpeg

Last month, the PlayStation Classic went on sale for $39.99 (a whopping 60% off list) for a 48 hour period. If you missed it, your second chance is happening right now.

At the time of writing, the PlayStation Classic deal is available right here at Walmart with free 2-day shipping. Despite the console's shortcomings, it is definitely worth considering at this price. A quick search on the Internet will illustrate that the console is super easy to hack for adding new games, so you might be able to get a lot of bang for your buck. It's even cheaper than going the Raspberry Pi route at this point, and you'll get a cool PlayStation case to boot. Just keep in mind that there's no telling how long the deal will last this time around - it could end at any moment.

list:

• Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash!
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr. Driller
  • Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil Director’s Cut
  • Revelations: Persona
  • R4 Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal
  • Wild Arms

So seems like the PSX Classic is now once again at a cheap price, good for those that want an emulator. For those less savy you can play this mini-console the standard way and enjoy this list of PSX classics at a smooth 50fps.

thelastword

Banned
Perhaps they should redo this, 1080 60fps on all titles, AA and filtering....That'd be swell, but I undestand though...2 controllers + the hardware and the games as they are is still not bad value in itself........

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Why would I buy this when PS5 is going to be fully backwards compatible(rumored). I still have the games from this list that I'd want to play.

Better yet, I still have a BC Ps3...so I wouldn't even need a PS5 for this.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I'd love to know what idiots decided on the game list for this, although i can only imagine licensing problems had a factor in it, it had to.

ODESZA

I hope they re-do this one day but knowing Sony they will sweep it up under the rug than take responsibility.

this could have been something great

Last edited:

Ozrimandias

As i said in another thread, i dont find a reason to buy it. I have a PS Vita TV with Retroarch.....simply the best mini console out there.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It was 20 bucks at my local walmart for like 3 months. Then it went back to 60. I think now it sits on the clearance section lol.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark

thelastword

Banned
Between people trash talking the PS One Classic, and this recent thread https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-ps2-is-19-years-old.1473101/
I think the gamer world just needs a PS2 Classic with all the right games.
I think even if we get a PS2 classic, whatever games they put on there, persons would have problems with the games that make the final cut.....That's the crazy thing about PS, there were so many good games, so much variety, that many people can put up entire different lists as to what constitutes their best 10-20 games.....Many fail to realize, that everybody won't always get the games they preferred.....That's virtually impossible...

Stuart360

I think even if we get a PS2 classic, whatever games they put on there, persons would have problems with the games that make the final cut.....That's the crazy thing about PS, there were so many good games, so much variety, that many people can put up entire different lists as to what constitutes their best 10-20 games.....Many fail to realize, that everybody won't always get the games they preferred.....That's virtually impossible...
Put 50 games on then or something. I dont know why we are stuck with this 20 game bullshit. Give me a 'PS2 Legacy' console that comes with every retail release ever, i'll pay $500 for that thing.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

If only there were a console that could connect online and let people buy the games they want...

thelastword

Banned
If only there were a console that could connect online and let people buy the games they want...
I think that might be better suited for a PS5 tbh, buy your games on the store, you play on an emulator already in the PS5 OS, play your old PS1 games at 4k 60fps with AA, Filtering etc...

my Best memories of the ps1 is using a DualShock controller to play crash and Spyro. This system doesn’t have even one of these three.
So that means they would most probably have to give you one controller instead of two......The crazy thing is, if that happened, people would say they can't play Tekken 3 with their friends, why didn't Sony give us another controller.....

Tbh, I think these things are cheap enough not to fuss over the little details so much, sure, Sony could do much better with the PS1 classic than they did, but I when I say that, I mean the worse emulation than what you got on PS3 and Vita, the bad framerates on certain titles etc......These issues should never have surfaced...

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I don’t expect SONY to put good but obscure games on there and whatever they do settle with I think will be ok.

UnusualSether

Neo Member
Although it´s most likely due to licensing issues, it´s kinda sad that theres no Silent and and the RE is the directors cut version.

Codes 208

Yeah the emulation issues was another reason I stayed away from it.

Hopefully with the ps2 classic they bump up the overall production even if it ends up being slightly pricier. As for games, I’d be content with even just San Andreas or god of war 1 and 2 but here’s hoping we get games like dbz: budokai 3, shadow of the colossus, prince of Persia, RE4, dark cloud, ssx tricky, katamari...hell, there’s a ton of ps2 games I loved.

Shotpun

Although it´s most likely due to licensing issues, it´s kinda sad that theres no Silent and and the RE is the directors cut version.

The original Director's Cut version of RE is fine, it's the Dualshock version of Director's Cut that has the horrible new soundtrack. Classic has the original DC.

I'm going to get one of these once/if the price drops to around 30€ just for the controllers, I use DS4 with RetroArch when playing PS1 games but its battery isn't going to last forever. The Classic itself is either going on shelf or I might even just toss it.

Rodolink

Those asking for a ps2 classic, won't happen anytime soon. Just for a handful of games you'd need many gb of storage which won't be cheap.

Also for this psx classic the main problem was the starting price, and not the games. Looking at how people are willing to pay 40 bucks for it.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Why would I buy this when PS5 is going to be fully backwards compatible(rumored). I still have the games from this list that I'd want to play.

Good for you man. I hope it doesn’t break down. You got yourself a real item there.

Zog

Banned
They are $60 in store but I bought one this way and can just go pick it up in the store today. I already have one so I won't be opening this one.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
For the few owners of this system that hacked it what would be a good 128gb card to use?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Its worth more than the asking price just for the iso's.

Show some respect.

When Sony doesn't respect us with this product, then why should we respect them?

The product could've been great with the right titles, but we got so much garbage instead.

Rodolink

It's so sad what happened with this Sony experiment. I pre-ordered one at full price, then returned it and got it back for 59€. The product itself is very high quality, the packaging and everything is top notch I was surprised. Sadly the software which is the most important thing sucks on its delivery. Only one save state per game, no video options (some games are antialiased, others are not). But in the end it was worthy for me just for Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, me and my wife have played it non stop. The other games are just painful to play.

bronk

Banned
It's so sad what happened with this Sony experiment. I pre-ordered one at full price, then returned it and got it back for 59€. The product itself is very high quality, the packaging and everything is top notch I was surprised. Sadly the software which is the most important thing sucks on its delivery. Only one save state per game, no video options (some games are antialiased, others are not). But in the end it was worthy for me just for Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, me and my wife have played it non stop. The other games are just painful to play.
Look up AutoBleem it's so easy to set up. Makes system so much better. They just released an update that has 4 save file slots per game.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
My Best Buy has had a full case of them on an end cap for the past few months. The glass on the end cap is only slightly transparent, so they are hard to see. There's no price tag anywhere. I wonder why they are hoarding them.

FranXico

Nah, for only a slightly larger investment, a RetroPie machine is a much, much better deal.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
The contrast between the fortunes of this and Nintendo's mini series is amazing. And it needn't have been tbh.

Hudo

It's still hilarious to me that they didn't put Twisted Metal 2 on this thing.
As soon as I saw that there was no Gran Turismo on that (and I am not even a Gran Turismo fan!), I knew that Sony were not even trying.

dave_d

Last I heard the PS4 doesn't even have the right laser to read a CD so I wouldn't be surprised if the PS5 wasn't backward compatible with PSX discs because they used a similar drive that doesn't have that laser either.

Cato

Banned
In OZ, It is about 44AUD at JB-HIFI, EB-Games and HarveyNormans now.

While there were initially some suboptimal flaws (that were way overblown) when you put BleemSync/AutoBleem on this little baby it becomes a really awesome PS1 emulator.

Seriously, with *Bleem*, this baby becomes super good value for money and may become the best way to play PS1 assets that you can buy for money (short of a real PS + PSIO + CRT)

Go buy it now and put *Bleem* on it. It is awesome and it is a bargain.

Top Bottom