• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation Vita In 2011-2012

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Wow, I had no idea they ditched the $29.99 tier for first party games. Bomba prices it is.

I already knew I was getting Rayman regardless so I don't feel totally ripped for 40. I am scaling back a little and getting likely HSG or Wipeout. I'm undecided at the moment. I did go from just being content with the wifi model to wanting the 3G to asking about the first edition bundle at GS ><

Captain N

I already knew I was getting Rayman regardless so I don't feel totally ripped for 40. I am scaling back a little and getting likely HSG or Wipeout. I'm undecided at the moment. I did go from just being content with the wifi model to wanting the 3G to asking about the first edition bundle at GS ><

HSG!! HSG!! HSG! or wipeout. use Amazon and get both for $59.99! ha

Zee-Row

Banned
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that people say that $250 is too much for the Vita , but these same people pay over $300 for an out of contract iphone.

btkadams

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that people say that $250 is too much for the Vita , but these same people pay over $300 for an out of contract iphone.

what? i paid over 300 for an iphone on a 3 year contract lol. it's like over $600 for an iphone out of contract.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
To be fair, the phone is something that becomes a part of your everyday life. It's a fantastic and very useful tool.

As excited as I am for the Vita (and I'm VERY excited), it just can't compare on that front. It's a different type of machine.

Wazzim

Banned
I've looked up all the major online retailers here in Germany. Those games are 50 Euro everywhere.

Hmm, very weird. Last time I went to Germany (2 years ago), prices for games were about the same as we have here in the Netherlands.

EDIT: Just went to Saturn.de and console prices are indeed the same as they are here.

Takao

Banned
It's more like retailers put down whatever price they thought, and you believed them expecting it to actually be that price.

No. Sony sent out emails of games with an MSRP of $29.99 (WipEout being one of them) to have the MSRP bumped up to $39.99.

I just got back from Best Buy. They have one of their employees carrying the system around on his neck to demo. No kiosk for Vita it seems. They only had Little Deviants to try, but I was more interested in the other functions anyway.

The screen is unreal. Large does not begin to describe it. The shots online don&#8217;t do it justice either. I was really impressed with the movie trailers they had stored on the memory card. The playback might not have been true HD, but at that small size, it looks damn close.

The analog sticks were also a bit surprising. At first touch they don&#8217;t feel like they have the mobility to get the job done. Compared to the Dual Shock or 360 pads, these don&#8217;t move far enough in every direction. However, after about ten minutes I adjusted and they felt fine. They don&#8217;t stick out nearly as far as the pictures make them seem either, so that was a plus.

Anyway, has anyone mentioned that the digital copies of games seem to be $5 cheaper than the physical cards? Best Buy has a number of games in their pre-order machine, that I can only assume, are codes that you use to download the games off PSN.

Here&#8217;s a photo of their titles and prices:

Super Stardust for $10 is good news.

from the other thread, $5 less seems to be the PSN price.

thanks GQman!!

le.phat

Had my first run-in with a live VITA today (i live in holland). I ran into this guy playing it in the train, turns out he's a community manager for playstation here. I started a conversation with him, and after some small talk he let me play for some 20 minutes. It was the actual European model with euro games. After my run in i went to the shop and made a 30 eu. downpay for the DAY ONE. I wasn't even planning on picking one up until after the summer lol. ITS AMAZING. Some details:

• the overall grip/feel is awesome. The thing is big, but ever so light, like between a dual shock and a sixaxis i'd reckon
  • The analog sticks are sweet. The size is just right, and the the rubber knob on the end glues it to your thumbs. No deadzone!
  • Wipeout looks insane. I have a feeling they pulled back the camera a bit, wich gives you a better sense of scale in terms of the ship against the track.
  • Uncharted is exactly that. It looks plays and feels like the real deal. Absolutely gorgeous. The climbing by swiping the screen works really nicely.
  • The Vita was set to Dutch language, and as a result, the games voice overs were fully dubbed as well. Talk about the full console experience lol.
  • Gravity daze looks dazzeling. The aliasing is very noticable, but the overall style is really nice so its easily dismissed.
  • Near seems like a cool function. I started it up and i could see his colleagues playing games 6 miles ahead, and slowly catching up to them lol. Its a nice way to meet new people, you can instantly see what they're playing, and what trophies they have. Not sure if you can message trough near, allthoug that should be a given.
  • Apperantly, the 3G model comes with a 20 EU prepaid chip by vodaphone, and he told me that if you add another 20 eu to the chip you get Wipeout from Vodaphone! Wich is exactly what i'm going to do.
  • Hitting the home button during play instantly brings up the game area. Its like a twitter feed of you and your friends on that specific game. it shows how far in the game everyone is, what trophies everyone got and stuff like that. You have full acces to the OS from here. The multitasking is fast and easy.

No real news i guess, but man i'm very impressed with this thing! HOW IS THIS NOT LIGHTING UP THE CHARTS? Also, the difference between this thing and the 3DS is psp/ds all over. Its just feels and looks so much more advanced.

TL;DR: PLAYED IT LOVED IT PAYED IT DOWN.

Ashour

Are they pumping Hot Shots Golf price too to $40? If so, I should pre-order it at Amazon.

I was planing on getting it on PSN but it's not worth it for $5 more.

gembel

is there a release date for Gravity Rush asia version yet? i hope it releases same time as the Japan ver, cause it has English language option

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Is it? Its value falls very fast over less than a year, when the next ithing is announced and released.

But let's not derail the discussion.
Really? I sold my 3g when the 4 came out for just over $350. The IOS stuff retains its value really well, imo.

Anyway, not to derail - just placed my order for Wipeout, Hot Shots, and Rayman with Amazon. Should arrive here before the Aussie launch (and for considerably less money than it'd cost to buy them here).

JWong

Banned
Really? I sold my 3g when the 4 came out for just over $350. The IOS stuff retains its value really well, imo.

Anyway, not to derail - just placed my order for Wipeout, Hot Shots, and Rayman with Amazon. Should arrive here before the Aussie launch (and for considerably less money than it'd cost to buy them here).

Actual value is different than the value that fanboys will buy it for.

Vita's actual value is much higher than iPhone 4S except for the camera.

kuroshiki

Apple devices relatively retains its value pretty well, and also Vita can retain its value pretty well too if it is popular enough.

patsu

Had my first run-in with a live VITA today (i live in holland). I ran into this guy playing it in the train, turns out he's a community manager for playstation here. I started a conversation with him, and after some small talk he let me play for some 20 minutes. It was the actual European model with euro games. After my run in i went to the shop and made a 30 eu. downpay for the DAY ONE. I wasn't even planning on picking one up until after the summer lol. ITS AMAZING. Some details:

• the overall grip/feel is awesome. The thing is big, but ever so light, like between a dual shock and a sixaxis i'd reckon
  • The analog sticks are sweet. The size is just right, and the the rubber knob on the end glues it to your thumbs. No deadzone!
  • Wipeout looks insane. I have a feeling they pulled back the camera a bit, wich gives you a better sense of scale in terms of the ship against the track.
  • Uncharted is exactly that. It looks plays and feels like the real deal. Absolutely gorgeous. The climbing by swiping the screen works really nicely.
  • The Vita was set to Dutch language, and as a result, the games voice overs were fully dubbed as well. Talk about the full console experience lol.
  • Gravity daze looks dazzeling. The aliasing is very noticable, but the overall style is really nice so its easily dismissed.
  • Near seems like a cool function. I started it up and i could see his colleagues playing games 6 miles ahead, and slowly catching up to them lol. Its a nice way to meet new people, you can instantly see what they're playing, and what trophies they have. Not sure if you can message trough near, allthoug that should be a given.
  • Apperantly, the 3G model comes with a 20 EU prepaid chip by vodaphone, and he told me that if you add another 20 eu to the chip you get Wipeout from Vodaphone! Wich is exactly what i'm going to do.
  • Hitting the home button during play instantly brings up the game area. Its like a twitter feed of you and your friends on that specific game. it shows how far in the game everyone is, what trophies everyone got and stuff like that. You have full acces to the OS from here. The multitasking is fast and easy.

No real news i guess, but man i'm very impressed with this thing! HOW IS THIS NOT LIGHTING UP THE CHARTS? Also, the difference between this thing and the 3DS is psp/ds all over. Its just feels and looks so much more advanced.

TL;DR: PLAYED IT LOVED IT PAYED IT DOWN.

Oh dear, after your post, the community manager's boss will force him to travel all over EU playing Vita in the train 24/7.

newsguy

Played it at Gamestop today.

The unit had no sound unfortunately
Virtua Tennis played tight and IMO was the nicest game graphically. No jaggies, great player models.

HSG looked nice but you can tell it runs at a lower res. Certain parts are plain blurry. Like when you check the slopes on the green the white grid is really soft amd out of focus. Otherwise it's classic HSG and very fun.

Gravity Daze is also pretty jaggy but the gameplay os very neat. The mechanics work very well and the cel shaded look rocks.

Fifa was my favorite demo. The back touch mechanic works well and while I said i wouldn't use touch mechanics for this game, I can see myself using that. The back pad basically represents the goal so anywhere you touch pinpoints your shot there amd the longer you hold it the harder you shoot. I learned it almost immediately and found it to be very intuitive because I hate when the ball wanders off in the console versions.

Overall the Vita looks slick although a bit large. It's lighter than I expected even with the security lock on it. OLED of course was beautiful and really makes a mockery of the PSP screen.

Finally found out a way to play UMVC3 online with my US psn acc.

Also another thing about the Vita is that, at least for me, doesn't cramp my hands at all

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yay for Gravity Daze. Sumioni got a score I've expected (Suminoi (Vita): 7, 7, 7, 8).

DBT85

Whoa...

Now if only Australia does something similar, I might end up with a local purchase then :D

I'm still undecided on where I'll get my Vita from. Toys R Us online are selling the WiFi for £215 and the 3G for £260 but both include the pre order pack. Some people have ordered in store and they had the same price, I tried mine and they barely knew what it even was, calling it the "PS Vista or whatever it's called".

If that Amazon deal was a 16gb card for an extra £15, or just a wider selection of games I'd probably just go that route. As it stands I already have the two Ubi games I want pre ordered at £6 each and I'm not really interested in VT4. If they were to cancel my £6 games (which I'm really surprised they haven't) then again it would change.

ARGHHH.

Top Bottom