• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The potential of PS5’s Share Screen feature makes me very excited for next-gen

Are you excited for the future of PS5’s share screen?

• Yes

Votes: 105 53.6%
  • No

Votes: 68 34.7%
  • Depends

Votes: 23 11.7%

• Total voters

Bryank75

Banned
The Share Screen feature was showcased during PS5’s UI reveal today, the feature allows you to share and stream live games with your friends while playing any game. There are many useful possibilities this feature brings from our limited knowledge of it. For example you can use this feature to simulate local splitscreen co-op in multiplayer games. You could also use this feature to give your friend tips on a game and walk him through a section live while you yourself are playing a different game...

Here is a gif for a better idea on how it looks in action:

The footage can be pinned side-by-side, simulating splitcreen co-op or picture-in-picture around the screen. All that sounds great and I’m sure you’ve already imagined great ways to use it with your friends but what really makes this feature interesting is the built in versatility it has. Imagine using this feature when playing a game while watching your favorite streamer on Twitch, or your favorite Youtube podcast without the need to get off your couch for a second screen. Likewise, imagine watching your favorite Youtube channel for trophy hunting when hunting for those hard-to-get trophies. What about video conferencing with friends or family while playing the game? Endless possibilities with an already built-in functionality.

Are you as upbeat about it as I am?

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Man, I dreamed of high quality screenshots! Now it's a reality with PS5!

2632080820083740352fec68b34f7ff0.gif

And now this smart screen can be fun watching some friends playing while doing some casual game!

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Who said anything about TV?

How far you going to stretch this?

Imagine using this feature when playing a game while watching your favorite streamer on Twitch, or your favorite Youtube podcast without the need to get off your couch for a second screen. Likewise, imagine watching your favorite Youtube channel for trophy hunting when hunting for those hard-to-get trophies. What about video conferencing with friends or family while playing the game? Endless possibilities with an already built-in functionality.

Gamerguy84

Its a great feature. Glad to see it returning.

Its implemented a bit different and better with the PS5 but kind of existed on PS4, just wasn't talked about. You could spectate another person's game and share play was an underrated feature I used quite a few times with my friends.

This UI is looking amazing.

If only I had a screen on me at all times, one that I could search the net on, message people, watch streams and do a million other things on. What a future...

I think the sales pitch here is that you have that second screen on your tv while you game. Not on your smartphone having to hold your phone in place, and switching eye view between them.

---------------
I think it's a neat feature. Imagine playing Factions with it while part of a team or even on opposing teams.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Remote play and second controller / share the controller features on PS+ were the reason why I stayed subscribed for so long. Lots of PS4 games this gen had local multiplayer but no online, which was rendered irrelevant by the share controller feature.

Mr Hyde

It looks pretty neat and I can see it being helpful for a couple of situations, like trophy hunting and such, but I don't see myself using it very frequently.

Grinchy

Banned
My first thought when watching it was that if I play a simple online game like Fall Guys with my friend, we can have each other's viewpoints on screen in a little unused corner at all times. I don't have to ask him if he readied up, if he's in the lobby, if he made it through, ect. It's all right there on the screen.

The same could be said for something like Rocket League. Having your teammate's viewpoint at all times lets you know where they are, get a closer sight on the action if you're downfield, ect. It just remains to be seen how many games and their UI's will allow for a fraction of the screen to be taken up by such a thing without losing info you needed to see.

My first thought when watching it was that if I play a simple online game like Fall Guys with my friend, we can have each other's viewpoints on screen in a little unused corner at all times. I don't have to ask him if he readied up, if he's in the lobby, if he made it through, ect. It's all right there on the screen.

The same could be said for something like Rocket League. Having your teammate's viewpoint at all times lets you know where they are, get a closer sight on the action if you're downfield, ect. It just remains to be seen how many games and their UI's will allow for a fraction of the screen to be taken up by such a thing without losing info you needed to see.

I think it resizes the image. You see everything smaller.

Grinchy

Banned
I think it resizes the image. You see everything smaller.
Maybe that's one of the options? In the gif in the OP, it shows the part of the video I was remembering where he brings up his friend's gameplay of Lost Legacy, which becomes a picture-in-picture square on the full-sized game screen. Maybe it showed that already and I am just not remembering it. Seems like the OP says it was there, too.

If limiting the screen size is an option so that it lies outside of the game you're playing, that definitely solves the issue. It's just a question then of whether or not I am willing to make the gorgeous Demon's Souls any smaller :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:
I think the sales pitch here is that you have that second screen on your tv while you game. Not on your smartphone having to hold your phone in place, and switching eye view between them.

---------------
I think it's a neat feature. Imagine playing Factions with it while part of a team or even on opposing teams.
I think he was referring to PC.

Yoboman

Oh that's exciting for Rocket league 2v2

Do you know what TV is?

Everything Bryan mentioned is related to gaming

I know what a TV is. It's that screen that you plug your console into. Everybody needs a device like that in order to game.

:messenger_squinting_tongue:

I said tv or some shit, YouTube pod cast or twitch streamer is some shit to me.

How about a youtube walkthrough for a game? That could be useful to those that really get stuck.

Last edited:
I assume they'll disable the feature in multiplayer games like COD.

Would be funny if they don't. People take COD way too serious. Imagine the rage quits.

Maybe that's one of the options? In the gif in the OP, it shows the part of the video I was remembering where he brings up his friend's gameplay of Lost Legacy, which becomes a picture-in-picture square on the full-sized game screen. Maybe it showed that already and I am just not remembering it. Seems like the OP says it was there, too.

If limiting the screen size is an option so that it lies outside of the game you're playing, that definitely solves the issue. It's just a question then of whether or not I am willing to make the gorgeous Demon's Souls any smaller :messenger_sunglasses:

Yes. It's called "Pin to Side".

I think it would look something like this

Last edited:

Warnen

I know what a TV is. It's that screen that you plug your console into. Everybody needs a device like that in order to game.

:messenger_squinting_tongue:

How about a youtube walkthrough for a game? That could be useful to those that really get stuck.

Still seems would be eaiser to look at on a phone, eaiser to scrub back and forth, not taking up tv space, simpler to search ect..

Right now on PC can tab out and search for anything I would need and still easier to pull out the old phone.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

The picture in picture is really cool. Good for those situations where you're trying to walk someone through something but playing at the same time.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Is Screen Share an innovation? No. But is it something I can see myself personally using a lot? Also no.

Back when the Xbone had this feature it was called 'Snap', and it worked with any application, not just games, so you could have entire websites snapped to the side of your screen, or Twitch, or whatever. It was so widely used and so utterly beloved that it was ultimately removed from the operating system and no one really complained. It sounds cool, but in practice, we have second screens for a reason, and they're a lot more convenient to use.

Banned
I really can't ses a single use case for this.
I never ever had a moment where any friend wanted to watch me play a game on the edge of his screen or vise versa.

the Xbox One had a very similar feature that was so rarely used by anyone that they ultimately killed it in order to free up resources for more liked, wanted and used festures

Last edited:
Still seems would be eaiser to look at on a phone, eaiser to scrub back and forth, not taking up tv space, simpler to search ect..

Seems like a couple of button presses is enough to access a hint while your playing a game. Doesn't seem difficult to me especially since it's something built into the game itself.

Aidah

It's pretty cool and looks well implemented. I don't know how much use it will get out of me, but I'll definitely try it before I knock it.

Warnen

Seems like a couple of button presses is enough to access a hint while your playing a game. Doesn't seem difficult to me especially since it's something built into the game itself.

hey if pulling up YouTube app, typing or voice commanding what I’m looking for, scrubbing thru results, finding the vid and scrubbing to the part I need is FASTER then pulling out my phone and doing the same then by all means might be useful.

I just don’t see that without some sort of touch screen.

Banned

that part is also the part that makes.me wonder how useful it is.

how long until developers simply forget about this feature and aren't implementing it anymore?

system features like this are often forgotten after the launch period by many developers... don't ever underestimate the capabilities of developers to completely ignore a system feature.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yeah if there is a youtube style plugin then instead of looking up videos on my phone i can throw it in a little window to the side, that would be pretty dope. i would use that all the time.

Last edited:
that part is also the part that makes.me wonder how useful it is.

how long until developers simply forget about this feature and aren't implementing it anymore?

system features like this are often forgotten after the launch period by many developers... don't ever underestimate the capabilities of developers to completely ignore a system feature.

If the feature has support for youtube then it will be forever useful to me and won't require developers to do anything.

But I guess we need more information on this.

I like that the option is there, right? Will I use it? IDK but someone else might.

People never seem to be able to make up their mind. Having options, good. Having options, bad. Having options, cool. Having options, dumb. "We want options" "These options are DUMB, I would never use them" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's an interesting concept and seems a more gamer/friend focused effort than say the Xbox snap mode of old. I can see it being useful for help from a friend but I can also see it being abused in online multiplayer unless it has a time delay or block. Well done to Sony for being innovative and making it simple to use.

truth411

The Share Screen feature was showcased during PS5’s UI reveal today, the feature allows you to share and stream live games with your friends while playing any game. There are many useful possibilities this feature brings from our limited knowledge of it. For example you can use this feature to simulate local splitscreen co-op in multiplayer games. You could also use this feature to give your friend tips on a game and walk him through a section live while you yourself are playing a different game...

Here is a gif for a better idea on how it looks in action:

The footage can be pinned side-by-side, simulating splitcreen co-op or picture-in-picture around the screen. All that sounds great and I’m sure you’ve already imagined great ways to use it with your friends but what really makes this feature interesting is the built in versatility it has. Imagine using this feature when playing a game while watching your favorite streamer on Twitch, or your favorite Youtube podcast without the need to get off your couch for a second screen. Likewise, imagine watching your favorite Youtube channel for trophy hunting when hunting for those hard-to-get trophies. What about video conferencing with friends or family while playing the game? Endless possibilities with an already built-in functionality.

Are you as upbeat about it as I am?

TROPHY HUNTING!!! I didn't think of that. Sweet. Alot of possibilities.

Top Bottom