• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The potential of PS5’s Share Screen feature makes me very excited for next-gen

Are you excited for the future of PS5’s share screen?

• Yes

Votes: 105 53.6%
  • No

Votes: 68 34.7%
  • Depends

Votes: 23 11.7%

• Total voters

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You can already stream your game to friends on PS4 (and even let them take over the controls), although not with PiP.

But no, I'm not very excited about this. I don't want to look at something else while I'm trying to play a game. The fake split screen idea I don't think will really work, the delay will be too great.

Wasn’t this exact feature promises for PS4? I recall it being shown before at an e3 Sony event

It is a working feature.

Last edited:

N30RYU

Imagine seeing your friend playing in a PiP screen... and doing so badly in a boss you can actually pause your game and ask him to take remote control to kill that boss.

ZywyPL

Banned
I love it, although I can see it being helpful only in limited scenarios, like CoD Zombies or other co-op type of game where it's common that you don't see your friend(s) on your own display, but other that that, I think it'll bring more distraction to your own gameplay rather than anything else.

MiguelItUp

As cool and nifty as it is, I think it's a feature I will never touch to be quite honest. If anything, maybe a few times just to see it in action, but that's really it.

I feel that way about a lot of the stuff that was shown in the PS5 UI video, it was kind of like, "Wow, look at all of the stuff I won't do anything with."

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

MilkyJoe

The best use i can imagine is showing someone how to get past a difficult part of a game, other than that i imagine it'd tear the arse out of resources while playing.

ksdixon

Being able to 'snap' cards which show you a hint for the achievement is just 'blah' to me. I can't see myself using any of these trophy progress data stuff, or needed hints to be shown to me. I guess it's nicer that if you are stuck on a game, you don't have to start pulling up YouTube, finding a Let's Play, finding the right area of the game etc.

I'm more interested if we can pin our own bits there, like our previously captured videos from the Capture Gallery (if it still exists, not far into the video yet), so I can cross reference things fast without leaving the game I am in. That would stop me having to jump between game and Capture Gallery a lot.

Grinchy

Banned
That wouldn't work for RL. Would just be a distraction.
My buddy and I, years ago, used to meet up at one of our places and use 2 monitors side by side to play together. It was fun.

We were diamond/champion levels, so not exactly going to RLCS or lashing ourselves over every loss. If you're just playing with a friend online, it ain't so serious 😂

yurinka

I think it's a very cool feature, but I think I personally won't use it to see other players.

But if instead they allow me to use YouTube, Netflix and Amazon Video there I'll constantly use it. And well, I'll use it for the game guide tips too.

Last edited:
If this feature allows you to stream you tube videos I could definitely see myself using this in games that have actions that are super repetitive. For example I spent over 30 minutes opening crates in division 2 where you just hold a button, wait for the animation to finish, press another button and repeat the same process over and over. I know a lot of players dont even bother opening the crates because they have so many keys that it would take hours for them to use them all.

cormack12

Gold Member
It's a cool feature but Shareplay is still shite and I won't really have a use for this. Might be useful for like really niche cases about 5% of the time.

Of course, others might use it literally all the time. Power to them. But for me, personally - not really bothered.

Last edited:

yurinka

Wasn’t this exact feature promises for PS4? I recall it being shown before at an e3 Sony event
As promised, PS4 allows to share gameplay through video streaming. The difference between PS4 and PS5 is that now you'll be able to watch this video while playing in a secondary window, instead of having to completely move to a separate app.

Why would I wanna watch someone else playing while I play my own game?!
Breaks the immersion wtf
Maybe a friends wants to show you how to make certain combo, or where is some hidden stuff that isn't expained in these guides (and this is if the game supports these guide), or to coordinate stuff in multiplayer matches. Or maybe you want to see how a pro-gamer does his stuff. There are many possibilities.

Last edited:
It's a good feature but not something that I would personally ever use. When I play the game I want to focus on the gameplay and the gameplay only. Don't care about streamers, don't care about tips or achievements. Using it as an over the internet split screen sounds promising. Much better showcase than the example from the UI video demo (playing Sackboy while watching your friend watching Uncharted).

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Why would I wanna watch someone else playing while I play my own game?!
Breaks the immersion wtf
Maybe not you, but lots of gamers multitask these days. They game, they stream, they chat, they communicate, they surf and look for things on the internet during pauses and breaks. The great thing about all of these features is you don't have to use them if it proves detrimental to your gaming experience, but millions will use it. That's why choice and options are great.

Kerotan

Share play on ps4 was awesome and I was wondering how they'd improve on it. This is a bigger improvement then I expected. Very happy so far, I just hope the party chat system isn't exactly like it is on ps4.

supernova8

Banned
I think it’ll be even better than that. You’ll be able to get Derek to come over to your world and help you stop dying...

The Dark Souls community is going to fucking love this new level of integration.

I thought they were supposed to have implemented that during this current gen? Did it get lost or did I remember wrong?

Top Bottom