The president just called the CEO of Apple ‘Tim Apple’

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
At first I thought I was just hearing things? Then I thought it might have been part of a trailing sentence like “Thank you Tim... Apple is doing great.” But no, he stops pretty abruptly after saying Apple, and it really sounds like he thinks that’s the last name.
lol right your first instinct was to give him the benefit of the doubt I'm sure. Journalists make me sick.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Feb 22, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
People obsessively scrutinize every single word, movement, and thought that comes from this man 24/7 no shit he is going to accidentally say the wrong word from time to time.
The thing is, every other politician on Earth bothers to remember the names of the prominent figures at their media events, especially when it's the CEO of the highest-valued company on the planet. But that's apparently too much for Trump!

Aug 30, 2018
The thing is, every other politician on Earth bothers to remember the names of the prominent figures at their media events, especially when it's the CEO of the highest-valued company on the planet. But that's apparently too much for Trump!
Oh, right, because a politican has never forgotten someone's last name before until President Trump. Shame on him! And how do you know he forgot versus giving him an affectionate nickname like Crooked, Rocket Man, Crazy Bernie, etc.

Looks like someone already added Tim Apple to the long list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nicknames_used_by_Donald_Trump

Remember...this man has the launch codes :(
I'm glad he does. He's the most peaceful President in my lifetime.

Last edited:

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Feb 22, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Oh, right, because a politican has never forgotten someone's last name before until President Trump. Shame on him! And how do you know he forgot versus giving him an affectionate nickname like Crooked, Rocket Man, Crazy Bernie, etc.
If you're the President, you purposefully bring people to an event, and one of them is the CEO of Apple, you don't have an excuse for forgetting names. Especially not when you've made this mistake before (see: "Marilyn Lockheed"). This is not an "affectionate nickname;" this is a man who at best doesn't bother to remember names like a responsible person would, and at worst is growing senile.

Aug 30, 2018
If you're the President, you purposefully bring people to an event, and one of them is the CEO of Apple, you don't have an excuse for forgetting names. Especially not when you've made this mistake before (see: "Marilyn Lockheed"). This is not an "affectionate nickname;" this is a man who at best doesn't bother to remember names like a responsible person would, and at worst is growing senile.
Citation needed.

Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
People obsessively scrutinize every single word, movement, and thought that comes from this man 24/7 no shit he is going to accidentally say the wrong word from time to time.
That's why Obama's were so happy on Trump's inauguration I think, to leave all that behind.

In this case, I'm pretty sure he didn't remember their names.
And not remembering them myself (who the hell is the CEO of HP? Samsung?) I wouldn't blame him for that.

Sep 4, 2018

reminds me of the time Obama claimed he had visited 57 states. this is from 2008, before he was even president.

forgetting the number of states in the country is way worse than forgetting the last name of someone you just met. maybe these are human people who talk all day long and they make a mistake from time to time.

nope! he must be INCOMPETENT AND SENILE

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff member
May 30, 2004
Hey, Tyler NeoGAF, you hearing this?
What's your take?
I'm cool with it. ;b

This whole last-name-as-business-name thing is a lot like how European occupational surnames were derived. If Trump called me Tyler NeoGAF I'd be fine with that, since NeoGAF is part of my identity.

Trump renames everyone. It's not because he doesn't remember what their names are, though in his mind they may operate on the basis of the Trump name schemes after he names them. Regardless, names have power.

Pocahontas. Crooked Hillary. etc.

HAH, there's a Wikipedia page for it and it's enormous:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nicknames_used_by_Donald_Trump

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018

reminds me of the time Obama claimed he had visited 57 states. this is from 2008, before he was even president.

forgetting the number of states in the country is way worse than forgetting the last name of someone you just met. maybe these are human people who talk all day long and they make a mistake from time to time.

nope! he must be INCOMPETENT AND SENILE
I'm sorry, but when did basic incompetence become acceptable for the most powerful person in the US? You're supposed to hold the President to a high standard, not let him get away with near-constant fuckups like this.
Your TDS is showing @Aurelian .

Dec 3, 2013
Trump made his name a brand, so he is calling CEOs how the rest of the world truly sees them.

I mean, how often do we see your average person almost never humanizing these billionaire CEOs, and calling them out like they are the company themselves? We see it with all products, especially on here with gaming. Spencer says something, it is "MS says"... Layden or Ryan have a gaffe in words, "Sony says this"... so he is only being blunt and calling them as the world sees them IMO. We see them as the brand they represent. Especially when we have fanatic mentalities.

I think this is part of his own humor, and another part knowing you are the brand you represent 24/7. We want to so hard think a billionaire who became president is such an "idiot" because it makes us sleep better at night with our mundane peasantry lives in comparison. If anything, he is a master troll triggering the very people that see themselves in him all day, everyday. People despise their own reflection the most.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018
i mean it's how normal people speak. people don't memorize the name of every CEO in the world. people make accidents, they use shorthand, they come up with nicknames. complaining about it only shows how out of touch you are. people giving Trump shit for this just sound like elitist assholes.

yet again, the dumb media backlash to correct him for every slip up only makes him seem like an outsider, it only makes him seem more relatable to the average American.

"Um, teacher, you forgot to assign us homework for today!"

this is what the media comes across as. nobody likes a Teacher's Pet. everybody loves a Class Clown.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
He didn't forget. If you watch the round table unedited you'll see he starts it off by calling him Tim Cook. I've timestamped it at the 4:17 mark, soon after Ivanka finishes speaking and Trump takes over:

Notice how the edited portion where he says "Tim Apple" gets cut less than a second after he says it? It's typical Trump to sometimes place a long delay between words as he searches in his mind for something to add, except in this case he didn't add anything and left it at that. He wasn't saying "I appreciate it Tim Apple." He was saying "I appreciate it, Tim. Apple..." and didn't add anything to it. Makes it easy to mistake it as Trump getting Tim Cook's name wrong, but there's evidence in the same 30ish min event that he knows his name.

It's good for a laugh, but there's nothing serious about this story.

Dec 3, 2018
Just this weekend, I couldn't remember the guy's name. I was like Tim... uh... Tim something. Starts with a C. Tim Cunt? Tim Cocksucker? Tim Can't-tolerate-free-speech? Could not remember his name for the life of me. Luckily this thread came along and I now remember that his name is Tim Apple. Thanks Trump!

* Fun fact: If you hold your tongue while saying his name, it sounds like you are saying Tim Asshole!