• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Prisoner (McKellan & Jesus)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was watching Aliens on AMC last night and this huge ad for THE PRISONER kept coming up. Apparently it has Ian McKellan and that guy who played Jesus in it so I was interested. I've never heard of big name actors like them doing mini series for AMC before.

Anyone know what its about? excited to see it?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
It's gonna soooooooooooooooooo dope. A mini-series is great, I felt the original series kept repeating the same formula over and over again even during it's short run. It is definitely a show that would do very well with an update, paritcualrly in a post-Lost world.

Unfortunately, Jesus is no Patrick McGoohan, but who is?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's a remake of the classic Patrick McGoohan series from the 60s. It was mildly surreal but basically was the story of a man waking up to find himself in a place called "The Village" where it appears they're trying to debrief him, or discover secrets from his apparent past as a secret agent by mentally and physically torturing him. More of the former than the latter.

So who is Mckellan? I assume he's Number 2... which means that the rotating Number 2 thing is done. I'm not sure if a primary antagonist is a good thing or not.

IAmtheFMan said:
So who is Mckellan? I assume he's Number 2... which means that the rotating Number 2 thing is done. I'm not sure if a primary antagonist is a good thing or not.

I think the whole show will be Number 2.

Solo

Theres no way it will even come within a sniff of the original. With that said, the 9 minute preview on AMC's site is very good. Im hoping for a nice new take on the material, that doesnt piss on the original, nor tries to imitate it to the letter.

Kastro

Banned
stephendedalus said:
Be seeing you.

mcgoohan04b.jpg

Blader

Solo said:
Theres no way it will even come within a sniff of the original. With that said, the 9 minute preview on AMC's site is very good. Im hoping for a nice new take on the material, that doesnt piss on the original, nor tries to imitate it to the letter.

I can't say as I've never seen the original, but I can't imagine this being anything but good, given AMC's pretty damn good track record so far.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to that other show AMC was planning? All I remember is that it was starring Chase from 24.

mosaic

go eat paint
Hey, that preview actually looked somewhat compelling... a little less freaky than the original looked, but still spooky.

Shiv47

The original had an entire aesthetic that added to the surreal nature of the stories; will this remake do anything similar? The Blu-ray of the original series is due out next week, which should be awesome, and remove any bad taste the remake might leave.

teiresias

I've never seen the original, so I'm tempted to buy it on BR, since I've heard about it quite a bit. Is this remake supposed to be a series or a mini-series?

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I wish they would have a guest star every week, instead of keeping the same Number 2. I'd like to see Clooney as a Number 2.

smarties00 said:
Soooooo excited for it!
loved the original series but one thing I'm curious about is that the creators of the mini series said it will provide answers and I hope they don't screw up.

If they promised that, they've already screwed up.

That's Gandalf and Jesus to you sir.

And this show looks like la bomba. AMC just keeps on making quality shows it seems.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I'm mildly excited, I loved the original series.
I just hope I won't be disappointed :/

There's a review of the mini-series in Time. They said it was visually appealing and that McKellan does a good job, but it's missing a lot of what made the original great. The reviewer also wondered if much of that is due to the time period of the original.

Still going to watch it, but thought it was interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom