• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS TV can now run every single app/game without restriction (via simple hack)

HUELEN10

Yes. It's the very first thing in the initial setup.

Why doesn't the PS4 have it then...

Oh forget, fuck it, I'm putting the 4 back in the box (no more free HDMIs) due to the horrible experience so far, getting a damned PStv right now, syncing up my DS4, and finally enjoying the 3 Vita games at own, and perhaps PSP games too, right?

Any way this will allow for FTP storage to bypass needs of overpriced shitty proprietary storage? Also running out now, so where is the best deal on a Vita card, would 16 be worth it for a mere beginner?

Would hope Sony would just open the gates at this point. The platform is dead.

They can't due to licensing issues and legalities. Aside from the games that depended heavily on Vita gimmicks, a lot of the remaining games that won't play on PSTV never will legally because Sony needs the original pub to sign off on it.

Purdy

Weapon and item selection is done with the touch screen. I suppose that could be accomplished with the DS4's touchpad fine enough. But there's some rear-touch controls too, and clicking in the analog sticks on the controller won't cut it. I guess MG1 and MG2 in MGS3 would play fine, though.

But the game was blocked on PSTV for a very good reason, and I can't see Konami patching in controller support, as nice as that'd be.

What are the rear touch screen controls that make it unplayable?

Tik-Tok

People are so delusional. I'm pretty sure the Vita is proof that piracy didn't kill the PSP.

0 support for either system.

Also if piracy killed systems why is the 3DS still thriving? Why did the DS thrive?

If this allows piracy, you are absolutely nuts if you think that's going to have a significant impact on further support for the system.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Castlevania X Chronicles still doesn't work.

Hikami

Nice, I hardly use my PSTV. (Just use my Vita instead)
Might just use it as a Netflix machine now.

I've also been holding out on picking up Ys MoC for a while.. Gonna have to order it before it goes up in price/gets sold out or something.

Nyoro SF

Does this mean we'll be able to switch accounts without formatting? That would be so good.

Yes that's what I'm hoping for too.
This whitelisting is SO GOOD. My copies of Taiko Vita and now Ys MoC can now be played on my Vita TV.... that is, after I get home and perform this little magic trick.

Zee-Row

Banned
Finally I can play Dracula X Chronicles on my TV! That pissed me off to no end when I found out certain PSP games didn't work on PlayStation TV.

Rich!

Finally I can play Dracula X Chronicles on my TV! That pissed me off to no end when I found out certain PSP games didn't work on PlayStation TV.

..that worked for me even before this hack. UK here.

Honestly. Is it just blocked in the US? It certainly isn't here.

_Ryo_

I think Piracy could actually help the sales of the vita/pstv and really hurt the sales of games.

If people can use their vita/pstv to play roms and uprezed psp games with great resolution and framerates via emulation then it might convince more people to buy the device but then again, that also means that game sales will implode and hurt everyone.

oldmario

People are so delusional. I'm pretty sure the Vita is proof that piracy didn't kill the PSP.

Also if piracy killed systems why is the 3DS still thriving? Why did the DS thrive?

If this allows piracy, you are absolutely nuts if you think that's going to have a significant impact on further support for the system.

80m psp sold and the top selling game only made slightly above 1m, and i think the 2nd best seller was around 800k if that's not enough proof then i don't know what is

ds and 3ds had parents buying the shovelware shit on them, you had to buy a seperate card for them whereas psp was a simple custom firmware job and that's it you just download the games and put it on your memory card

OnPoint

The list of "compatible" games is only a tiny subset of what the system can run. Sony required a whitelisting process that hardly any developers bothered with. Now that Sony has abandoned the system, future whitelisting of established titles becomes increasingly unlikely. Getting rid of that restriction is huge

Thank you, this is more what I wanted to hear. I've considered getting one, especially as I released a game out that's compatible with it, The more reasons to pick one up the better.

LAM09

Great news. Can't wait to play Golden Abyss.

Sad things is, I probably won't be able to complete it.

So if you use Yahoo email to do everything it doesn't seem to work right. I had a c2 error loading everything PSTV compatible or not. Switched to Gmail and it works fine. Weird as hell

Joni

The developers would love the suggestion to open the system to piracy. The hardware isn't selling, the software is. It is what you get when only the hardcore of the hardcore own a system: you get crazy attach rates for niche stuff.

Compare the amount of Western games the PSP got compared to what the Nintendo 3DS gets.

Tik-Tok

80m psp sold and the top selling game only made slightly above 1m, and i think the 2nd best seller was around 800k if that's not enough proof then i don't know what is

ds and 3ds had parents buying the shovelware shit on them, you had to buy a seperate card for them whereas psp was a simple custom firmware job and that's it you just download the games and put it on your memory card

Correct.

A flashcart is way easier to use than the process of loading custom firmware.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So I still can't install netflix on a UK machine with this hack?

Percy

Banned
Um... won't many of the games be unfinishable as soon as you encounter a scenario requiring touch controls though?

Those seem to be mandatory in a lot of titles to varying degrees.

Where did you get those numbers? I can remember reading about multiple PSP games that sold more than 1m. I think Gran Turismo alone sold over 4m in fact.

Wereroku

I love all the people tacitly supporting piracy on the Vita. Yes it is a failed system but that doesn't mean people don't still make money on it. And I enjoy the few games it is still getting.

Um... won't many of the games be unfinishable as soon as you encounter a scenario requiring touch controls though?

Those seem to be mandatory in a lot of titles to varying degrees.

No Sony designed a virtual touch screen. Its a little strange but it works.

oldmario

Correct.

A flashcart is way easier to use than the process of loading custom firmware.

you just load a file on the memory card, press X twice and there you have it cfw, if you're cheap enough to pirate are you really gonna wanna spend money on a cart over just putting cfw on it?

Top Bottom