• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS4 is going to be big (in size) will it look like a PC box?

MRORANGE

By now we all know that the PS4 is going to be big, the specs point to a pc architecture with the latest pc components from AMD, The PS3 is going to need a ton of cooling and just heatsinks and fans might not cut it, maybe water-cooling, if we add all that up it's still a lot of stuff to be cramped in a tiny box.

Maybe that's the reason why we never saw the PS4 today

The PS4 Devkit does not look promising as well:

hwj2SsO.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
By now we all know that the PS3 is going to be big, the specs point to a pc architecture with the latest pc components from AMD, The PS3 is going to need a ton of cooling and just heatsinks and fans might not cut it, maybe water-cooling, if we add all that up it's still a lot of stuff to be cramped in a tiny box.

Message from 2005?

Bsigg12

Devkits are always large before production models come out. They are running PC hardware, not the very customized chipsets that ultimately end up in the system.

There is no need to freak out about a "huge" system. It'll be a very comparable size to this generations systems.

Message from 2005?

Ha, he edited one and forgot the other.

Massa

That's a devkit. It doesn't even have the APU but rather a separate Bulldozer CPU and a dedicated graphics card.

The specs indicate that the PS4 will be smaller than the original PS3.

Sallokin

Devkits are not indicative of console size. I'm pretty sure that durango dev kit that was floating around on ebay was a beast too. Remember the old PS2 dev kit? That thing was like 3 times the size of a PS2phat.

By now we all know that the PS4 is going to be big, the specs point to a pc architecture with the latest pc components from AMD, The PS3 is going to need a ton of cooling and just heatsinks and fans might not cut it, maybe water-cooling, if we add all that up it's still a lot of stuff to be cramped in a tiny box.

Maybe that's the reason why we never saw the PS4 today

The PS4 Devkit does not look promising as well:

hwj2SsO.jpg

Well the PS3 devkit is pretty big

I can't imagine anything any bigger or as big as the PS3

finaldevkitym3.jpg

DBT85

I don't expect the PS4 to be much parger if at all than the PS3 Slim v1.

Not sure why people think it's going to be massive.

Pooya

no it won't need water cooling, there won't be water cooling in a CE product. The CPU shouldn't run very hot actually if it's a Jaguar, all those GDDR5 memory chip would need cooling though and the GPU of course. It needs one big heat sink to cover the APU and as many ram chips around the GPU as possible and if they go the PS3 route with a single 12mm fan don't think it would go higher than 80-85c at worst which is safe for modern components actually.

PS3 Slim CPU/GPU idle at 65C and during work load top at 80c for reference so working temp like that should be fine.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
hwj2SsO.jpg

I remember GameCube's devkit being bigger than this, lol.

Devkits through history:

Sixth_gen_dev_kits.png

I wouldn't put much stock in devkit size meaning much, of course I doubt PS4 will be small, either.

Polari

I doubt it's going to be huge. Probably smaller than the OG PS3 by some margin. The APU is fabricated at 28nm I believe.

tipoo

Banned
Every dev kit is big, relax. Even the Wiis was quite sizable. They put no effort into miniaturizing dev kits, why would they?

Where is that spec sheet from by the way? I heard 8GB during the keynote, but not GDDR5.

LiK

MRORANGE, i think a regular like you should know dev kits are not representative of the final form factor. :)

Top Bottom