• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5 exclusive in development by Jade Raymond's studio Haven is an online GaaS

If true -

• good news

Votes: 53 17.3%
  • bad news

Votes: 254 82.7%

• Total voters

Bartski

Gold Member
The message from a recruiter, passed on to us by one of our active contacts in the world of triple A game development, who wanted to remain anonymous to avoid problems, confirmed that Haven Games , the new studio of Jade Raymond, is developing an exclusive online GaaS for PS5 .
The message begins with the necessary introductions: "I work for Haven Games, a Montreal studio funded by Sony and directed by Jade Raymond, to whom we owe franchises such as Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs. "

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
not like this GIF

kyliethicc

This is a basically a win win. Lets Sony tell their investors they're trying new stuff without any real cost to us.

If the game sucks, oh well. A new studio, that otherwise wouldn't exist, failed. No real loss.

If the game is good, bonus.

Its not like Sony told Santa Monica Studio to stop making God of War and go make a live service game.

Giving external devs like this a chance to stumble upon a good game while the big boys keep doing what they do is fine by me.

Last edited:

elliot5

I mean, since Forkknife, has there been any REALLY successful GAAS? Battleborne? Anthem? Lawbreakers? Avengers? Destiny 2 maybe? Outriders? Apex Legends kind of fizzled out too. Division 2 was decent but that's a few years old now.
Destiny 2, League of Legends, World of Warcraft, Apex (definitely did not fizzle at all), PUBG, Escape from Tarkov, Forza, GT Sport, Halo MCC, Sea of Thieves, CSGO, DOTA 2, GTA:Online, Rust, Dead By Daylight, Fallout 76 (yes), Minecraft, Roblox, Among Us, COD Warzone, Outriders isn't really GaaS (yet)... the list goes on

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Destiny 2, League of Legends, World of Warcraft, Apex (definitely did not fizzle at all), PUBG, Escape from Tarkov, Forza, GT Sport, Halo MCC, Sea of Thieves, CSGO, DOTA 2, GTA:Online, Rust, Dead By Daylight, Fallout 76 (yes), Minecraft, Roblox, Among Us, COD Warzone, Outriders isn't really GaaS (yet)... the list goes on
Is Halo MCC a GASS? I guess GTA would be the top of the list.

Neil Young

What's the difference between a gaas game and a paid mmo like FF14 and WoW besides the subscription?

I don't mind the gaas games I've played like Destiny and The Division. In fact, The Division games are a couple of my favorites of all time. Destiny is also really well done. IF those are considered gaas. What games are coming to mind for people where they have such an instant reaction of disgust when it's mentioned?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I heard this months ago and wouldn't surprise me if true because Sony is going to pay external studios for exclusives that are online focused so their internal studios can for the vast majority ignore it.

yurinka

I don't see the news here.

We already knew it was a 2nd party game, which means a PS5 exclusive. We already knew it was a AAA multiplayer, so nowadays it means GaaS because basically all successful AAA multiplayer games are GaaS.

Many people asked Sony to make more multiplayer/GaaS games because they focused too much on single player products. I think it's a good approach: to keep single player products like TLOU2, GoT or God of War and keep doing these games, while other teams try with multiplayer/GaaS.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
This is a basically a win win. Lets Sony tell their investors they're trying new stuff without any real cost to us.

If the game sucks, oh well. A new studio, that otherwise wouldn't exist, failed. No real loss.

If the game is good, bonus.

Its not like Sony told Santa Monica Studio to stop making God of War and go make a live service game.

Giving external devs like this a chance to stumble upon a good game while the big boys keep doing what they do is fine by me.
Also, i would like to think if Sony is branching into a market like this they’re going to make sure it’s of high quality. Jade has been getting the short end of the stick since Splinter Cell Blacklist (idgaf, that was Chaos Theory 2) and I just want to see her succeed again in a company that isn’t rapidly shifting gears every six months.

Top Bottom