• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5 exclusive in development by Jade Raymond's studio Haven is an online GaaS

If true -

• good news

Votes: 53 17.3%
  • bad news

Votes: 254 82.7%

• Total voters

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It dominates because people have been tricked into thinking something thats a pile of fucking trash ultra skinner box is a good thing, I hate it.

Tribalism.jpeg

junguler

Banned
i don't like games with expiration dates on them, no matter how good quality they might be i treat them as trash podcast games and won't take them seriously at all. still even if this is true it's not going to undo those other amazing games she produced and i'm thankful for those.

Kuranghi

You are blinded by hate some of the best Game's of all time are GAAS example GTA 5 and RDR2.

Blinded by hate?!?? Yeah they were great as SP titles, I'm not interested in competing with other humans in computer games. Is that so hard to understand?

A computer game to me, first and foremost, means competing against AI and being in a crafted world with events that cater to me, the player. I don't like sports.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Blinded by hate?!?? Yeah they were great as SP titles, I'm not interested in competing with other humans in computer games. Is that so hard to understand?

What's the difference between competing against humans and competing against brainless AI?

Answer: Humans exhibit far more interesting, varied, and realistic behavior.

Kuranghi

OK and that is called a personal preference what you don't like does not mean other people don't so as i was saying not all GAAS are bad.

Enjoy what you like of course pal, I'm expressing my personal distaste for something that is taking away talent and money from games I'd rather be playing. I'm also drunk so the old reasonableness has been thrown out of the window right now, so please consider that aspect of our conversation, xx

Kuranghi

What's the difference between competing against humans and competing against brainless AI?

Answer: I don't want to compete against real humans I want to dominate AI and have fun.

If I beat a real human in a game I feel nothing if not bad that I deprived them of winning, I'm not interested in those kinds of "stories" I want to be in a crafted world and take it in, not be part of an everlasting battle of humans via computers, that holds no interest for me.

Last edited:
Enjoy what you like of course pal, I'm expressing my personal distaste for something that is taking away talent and money from games I'd rather be playing. I'm also drunk so the old reasonableness has been thrown out of the window right now, so please consider that aspect of our conversation, xx
How is it taking talent away? Sony is doing something different they already have the 3rd person single player game's cover. Now they are expanding into other genre how is that bad? What wrong with having a more diverse selection of Games?

Pallas

It’s hard for Sony to ignore how successful these games have gotten, their rivals have them and a few have been highly successful multi platform games by third party studios but amongst the successful ones is a vast graveyard of failed GaaS games that just didn’t catch on or have the dedication needed to continue to run these games and make profit.

I think it might be smart if they allow this game on PC as well, as big as Sony’s consumer base is, this type of game isn’t why someone would buy a PlayStation.

Kuranghi

How is it taking talent away? Sony is doing something different they already have the 3rd person single player game's cover. Now they are expanding into other genre how is that bad? What wrong with having a more diverse selection of Games?

Enjoy what you enjoy, I don't mean to have conflict with you. I'm just not personally interested in this sort of thing and I wish Jade Raymond was making an SP game that I would enjoy.

CAB_Life

Love it or hate it games as a whole are moving toward the service model. I don’t mind that if we get past the growing pains where they’re just dopamine-gamble simulators with Skinner Box designs. Sadly, I think we have to reach a saturation point with some colossal failures (maybe this game even) before we see real creativity with GaaS.

to be fair theres loads of playstation single player games. why not eventually try making a AAA multiplayer game? if it doesnt work out then of course i'd lean more for sony to stick with SP games.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
They call stuff like Assassin's Creed and The Witcher GAAS now so we don't even know what it means anymore. It's not all Destiny or Anthem.

Enjoy what you enjoy, I don't mean to have conflict with you. I'm just not personally interested in this sort of thing and I wish Jade Raymond was making an SP game that I would enjoy.
Fun Fact the first game Jade Raymond ever work on is The Sims Online so she is going back to her roots. You might not like this types of games but there is always more single player games from Sony 1st party like Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Insomniac, Guerrilla, Santa Monica, Housemarque. With that lineup of studios making single player games i don't see why 1 GAAS game and all of a sudden people are losing their shit come on now.

Last edited:

Fbh

On the plus side she delivered nothing with Motive Studios and then again nothing with Stadia.
So at least there's a good chance we'll never hear more about this and in a few years we learn the studio closed down and she moved on to something else.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'll not cast judgement before seeing but I'm not exactly full of faith with a new studio. I can only be cautiously optimistic.

So until then people can just speculate, hate, praise, or whatever based on nothing.

Unless you can predict the future and see if a game isn't good based on news articles and text.

Kuranghi

Fun Fact the first game Jade Raymond ever work on is The Sims Online so she is going back to her roots. You might not like this types of games but there is always more single player games from Sony 1st party like Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Insomniac, Guerrilla, Santa Monica, Housemarque. With that lineup of studios making single player games i don't see why 1 GAAS game and all of a sudden people are losing their shit come on now.

I understand, my reaction is obviously over the top, but see it from your perspective, every time a major dev announces a genre/titles thats the opposite of what you want you're disappointed aren't you? Peace.

Thirty7ven

Banned

In a competitive environment, humans are indeed the most interesting and it is down to their ability to do the unexpected.

Gaming doesn’t have to be competitive. And A.I can populate a world, while acting in the way it should according to the rules set by the game world. You wouldn’t be able to do this with humans, that kind of role play is impossible with real people.

Last edited:
As long as it's not F2P and the base game has a meaningful amount of content (and of course the game isn't shit), I'll be happy to try it.

If it's just a shameless MTX-fuelled cash grab Destiny 2 clone, I'm not interested, Jade.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
In a competitive environment, humans are indeed the most interesting and it is down to their ability to do the unexpected.

Gaming doesn’t have to be competitive. And A.I can populate a world, while acting in the way it should according to the rules set by the game world. You wouldn’t be able to do this with humans, that kind of role play is impossible with real people.

I think the major advancements in gaming over the next 10+ years will be figuring out how to put humans together in an environment where the structure isn't "Kill the opposing player faster than he kills you. Kill as many opposing players as possible."

Red Dead Redemption would be exponentially more interesting/successful if it didn't behave like the part in Westworld where the protagonist discovers they're in a poorly executed simulation. Imagine walking around a RDR town where every cowboy you see behaves more like a cowboy actually would (ie in their best interest).

That's where gaming is headed and Sony knows it.

Last edited:
Let sony waste their money... I don't play FTP games and I wouldn't play this game, Sony thinks it can cash in on the fortnite model when they should know better after the Destruction Derby fail.

Lux77

Its really funny to me, how Jade made her name with Ass Creed and since then shes just riding this fame, not producing one good game (most failed before being released)

Top Bottom