• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5 exclusive in development by Jade Raymond's studio Haven is an online GaaS

If true -

• good news

Votes: 53 17.3%
  • bad news

Votes: 254 82.7%

• Total voters

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Because she jumps around from company to company, setting up completely brand new studios with very little to show for it?

Motive has had mixed results but also some success; always hard to say when someone goes to EA though, as they have been mismanaging studios since forever.

She's more of an executive either way.

Through no fault of her own a big part of her recognition comes from gamers being pervy dorks but she has plenty of successes behind her.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Sony going in hard on live service games... why do I get the feeling they will slowly make less single player games in the future?

Not all GAAS is heavily multiplayer, a lot can be played alone, or co-op.

Games like The Division aren't MMOs for instance, you can play completely by yourself if you want.

Sony said things about making story driven GAAS, mixing concepts too.

They just want games that have stuff you can buy continually coming out for years lol.. they do often have a multiplayer component, like the aforementioned The Division though, but we'll have to see what Sony comes up with.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Yuck. How many fucking GaaS games do we need from Sony.

This means all three studios they partnered with last year are making GaaS games.
- Ex-Treyarch devs
- Ex-Bungie Devs
- Jade Raymond studio

Add in Bungie's new IP, TLOU Factions 2 and we have 5 Gaas Games already. We know from Job listings that GG was making a GaaS game. Thats six.

This still leaves us with 4 more GaaS games currently in dev since Jim Ryan said they are going to have 10 GaaS games out by 2026.

I wanted Sony to diversify their portofilio but this is insane. They should stick with what they know best. 2-3 GaaS games max. Their studios already take forever to release games. They only have like five AAA studios left anyway. If ND and GG are already working on GaaS games then when can we expect single player next gen games from them? In 2027? Who are the other four studios working on GaaS games? We only have Bend, Sucker Punch, SSM and Insomniac left. Are they all making GaaS games too?
The game from Deviation Games the ex Treyarch devs, at least has a SP campaign

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Yeah, looks like sony starting to chase the younger crowd now. There's a whole new gen of kids growing up playing live service games. Bad news for those of who grew up playing great single players games before online multiplayer was even a thing.
Let's hope and pray that they continue to do their story driven AAA games too, it's the reason we all fell in love with PlayStation after all

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Because she jumps around from company to company, setting up completely brand new studios with very little to show for it?
Why do you think I felt the need to even ask that question?

Because what she's done isn't that much different from some other lead producers or writers in the past. Just so happen, Google's gaming vision with Stadia flopped harder than a fish out of water. Had it not been for that, she'd still be making games for them.

AmuroChan

Not really surprised. If they want Spartacus to succeed, they're going need at least some GaaS to keep gamers subscribed long term. Most of their core 1st party studios are still making single player games. So I wouldn't worry too much that those are just going to disappear from Sony's portfolio.

IntentionalPun

Not really surprised. If they want Spartacus to succeed, they're going need at least some GaaS to keep gamers subscribed long term. Most of their core 1st party studios are still making single player games. So I wouldn't worry too much that those are just going to disappear from Sony's portfolio.
I'm kinda confused why people think GAAS is so tied to something like Gamepass/Spartacus.

GAAS games are designed to be like platforms gamers spend a ton of their game time/money in. You don't play much else.. I don't see where it really fits the model TBH. You don't need to tie it to a sub because people want to keep playing that game and will buy actual content for it.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I wonder Sony would go with her?

I just looked up her games, had no idea she was involved with MGS4? Assassins Creed 2 too. I thought she was only involved in AC1
Bit risky even though I liked AC 1 and of course 2

I hope it’s something more lighthearted in the aesthetic of BOTW, Everwild, Sea of Thieves, Animal Crossimg, etc etc

Sony doesn’t have enough chill aesthetic games like that

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Why do you think I felt the need to even ask that question?
Amy Hennig has had the same problem, I don’t think it reflects on the person but rather the environment they find themselves in.

AmuroChan

I'm kinda confused why people think GAAS is so tied to something like Gamepass/Spartacus.

GAAS games are designed to be like platforms gamers spend a ton of their game time/money in. You don't play much else.. I don't see where it really fits the model TBH. You don't need to tie it to a sub because people want to keep playing that game and will buy actual content for it.

Personally speaking, the subscription model was already built into my mindset as a GaaS gamer. For years, I was already used to paying a monthly subscription playing WoW or FF14. So GP is just an evolution of that, except now when I want to take a break from whatever live service game I'm currently playing, I have access to a huge catalog of other games that I can jump in for an hour. I think there's a weird assumption that GaaS gamers don't play anything but the one live service game they're playing at the moment. That has never been true for myself or my circle of friends. Yes, I may play Destiny 2 for many many hours, but I also want to check out other games when I want a break from Destiny 2. Gamepass makes that seamless for me.

IntentionalPun

Personally speaking, the subscription model was already built into my mindset as a GaaS gamer. For years, I was already used to paying a monthly subscription playing WoW or FF14. So GP is just an evolution of that, except now when I want to take a break from whatever live service game I'm currently playing, I have access to a huge catalog of other games that I can jump in for an hour. I think there's a weird assumption that GaaS gamers don't play anything but the one live service game they're playing at the moment. That has never been true for myself or my circle of friends. Yes, I may play Destiny 2 for many many hours, but I also want to check out other games when I want a break from Destiny 2. Gamepass makes that seamless for me.
Well I didn't say "anything", but a lot of people do dedicate a lot of their game time/money to a GAAS game, all w/o it being tied to a subscription model.

GAAS games are recurring revenue games, and are tied to that Wow mentality like you said, we are making the same point, I just have a different angle on it. They already have replaced that WoW mentality w/o having to be a part of a subscription model. Many have a base free to play component as well, completely divorced from the idea of paying for a sub, while having gamers spend the same or even more money on them.

While it might sound great as a gamer to have this 1 subscription that gives you access to a bunch of GAAS games minus the MTX and battle passes, I'm not seeing the benefit for Sony/Microsoft to have their sub services chalk full of them. If people are getting addicted to that carrot on a stick w/ a GAAS game you have already "won" their recurring revenue w/o having to revenue share with all the 3rd parties you are throwing money around to for your sub service.

Obviously they exist on Gamepass, and will exist on Spartacus. But I just don't see those sub services really being a big driver for them, or those sub services really driving "more GAAS games." MS is going to throw all their 1st party on GamePass for sure, and that'll be all of their GAAS games.. but I just don't think that's Sony's angle.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Well I didn't say "anything", but a lot of people do dedicate a lot of their game time/money to a GAAS game, all w/o it being tied to a subscription model.

GAAS games are recurring revenue games, and are tied to that Wow mentality like you said, we are making the same point, I just have a different angle on it. They already have replaced that WoW mentality w/o having to be a part of a subscription model. Many have a base free to play component as well, completely divorced from the idea of paying for a sub, while having gamers spend the same or even more money on them.

While it might sound great as a gamer to have this 1 subscription that gives you access to a bunch of GAAS games minus the MTX and battle passes, I'm not seeing the benefit for Sony/Microsoft to have their sub services chalk full of them. If people are getting addicted to that carrot on a stick w/ a GAAS game you have already "won" their recurring revenue w/o having to revenue share with all the 3rd parties you are throwing money around to for your sub service.

Obviously they exist on Gamepass, and will exist on Spartacus. But I just don't see those sub services really being a big driver for them, or those sub services really driving "more GAAS games."

Well, it's too late to stop that train now. Sony is all in on investing in GaaS.

Willing to give it a try since it's PS5 exclusive. Couldn't be any worser than genshin and all those gacha shits

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Well, it's too late to stop that train now. Sony is all in on investing in GaaS.
Oh for sure.. and MS was before Gamepass existed.... everything and everyone is big on GAAS is my point, most have nothing to do with subscription services.

I could see Sony having their GAAS titles as the only ones "day one on Spartacus Elite Tier" or something. Not saying that won't happen, but I also wouldn't be shocked if it didn't happen at all, and their GAAS games are separate from it.

Genshin impact alone generates as much revenue in a year as 25 million people paying a $10 a month sub. These games are revenue platforms on their own.

I think Sony believes they can have games with that level of impact, and if they can create 2-3 GAAS hits, they can make far more money on their own w/o them being tied to a sub service.

Last edited:

yurinka

I thought Jade had gone into irrelevancy long ago. Her track record was never that good, to begin with, so no thanks, Jade.
She did help to build the first Sony Online Entertainment gamedev group, then became producer at EA of The Sims Online and the first Assassin's Creed. Then she became executive producer for AC2 and AC Bloodlines. She was tasked to create, build and lead Ubisoft Toronto, which became 2nd biggest Ubisoft studio, and as studio manager also executive producer of Watchdogs or Splinter Cell Blacklist, and remained as studio manager for many games more where her studio worked like Far Cry 4, Assassin's Creed Unity, Rainbow Six Siege and many other hits.

Then she left to become a senior vicepresident at EA and was tasked to create, build and lead Motive, studio where they did help on Star Wars Battlefront II and made Star Wars Squadrons and now are working on a Dead Space remake.

Then she was hired as vicepresident at Google to create, build and lead the Google Stadia internal development teams, which got shut down before they were able to ship their first game.

In 2 or 3 months she built Haven with some of the people who did work for her in all these studios and signed a 2nd party deal with Sony.

She has a stunning track record having worked in many super hits, several some successful new IPs, good track at innovation (Sony now wants to focus more in online games, but she already did work on online games over 20 years ago and even at Sony) and is super successful at building and leading AAA teams. When EA, Google or Sony have that confidence on her is not for being hot. It's for her track record.

Kupfer

GaaS = exclusion criterion

If Sony is now forced to jump on the bandwagon and neglect oppulent singleplayer games, which are still sony's unique selling point, they will lose me as a customer. However, I also know that I will be replaced by 10 new players who may have grown up with GaaS and see it as normal and nothing negative. I'm a real dinosaur when it comes to that. For me, the perfect game includes a singleplayer story that can be completed from release - with a 20€ singleplayer add-on afterwards if the game allows it. My last real add-on I bought was Left Behind for PS3 and it was worth every penny since I loved the TLOU universe back then and wanted more. Game content that could easily have been implemented directly into the main game, but is deliberately held back just to be able to market it as additional purchasable content, can be shoved horizontally up their asses for all I care.

/rant

GaaS = exclusion criterion

If Sony is now forced to jump on the bandwagon and neglect oppulent singleplayer games, which are still sony's unique selling point, they will lose me as a customer. However, I also know that I will be replaced by 10 new players who may have grown up with GaaS and see it as normal and nothing negative. I'm a real dinosaur when it comes to that. For me, the perfect game includes a singleplayer story that can be completed from release - with a 20€ singleplayer add-on afterwards if the game allows it. My last real add-on I bought was Left Behind for PS3 and it was worth every penny since I loved the TLOU universe back then and wanted more. Game content that could easily have been implemented directly into the main game, but is deliberately held back just to be able to market it as additional purchasable content, can be shoved horizontally up their asses for all I care.

/rant
Don’t worry Sony will always do their Single player games.This market is always growing too.And they see the success all their single player games went into two digit sales numbers they all make over 500 million easy in win for Sony some With DLC approach even the billion dollars.They will Never let them go they know their importance’s.That’s why all those new Studios because not every Studio especially of their older studio wants to make such games.they want to make their games like single player games maybe with a multiplayer part in it.Sony is growing in all directions so you get even more single player games and get lots of new games GaaS games from which some can become really great fun games who knows.

Shmunter

Don’t worry Sony will always do their Single player games.This market is always growing too.And they see the success all their single player games went into two digit sales numbers they all make over 500 million easy in win for Sony some With DLC approach even the billion dollars.They will Never let them go they know their importance’s.That’s why all those new Studios because not every Studio especially of their older studio wants to make such games.they want to make their games like single player games maybe with a multiplayer part in it.Sony is growing in all directions so you get even more single player games and get lots of new games GaaS games from which some can become really great fun games who knows.
The conundrum for Sony will be invest $10M here and make $50M or invest $10M and make $200M.

Where do you put your resources when you're nothing but a short term bean counter? They really need to understand that the diverse content - AAA, artsy, MP, experimental, etc. is what makes Sony captivating

Top Bottom