• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5 Is Officially The Biggest Console Ever Made According To New Images

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
It's also made with early 90s technology.

PlayStation 5 is objectively ugly. Seriously, what were they thinking?!

I agree with @Samanosuke Akechi, PlayStation 2 is still the best looking Sony console.

I still got my Aqua Blue version and I'm never selling it. 😍

KRTJHgA.png
At least the PS5 should be customizable, so that's a plus. But I agree, it is pretty ugly.

There's no such thing as an ugly console. There's boring, like the xbone one vcr edition. And there's huge and mighty like the OG Xbox, but there is no ugly.

Even the PoS3 with its George foreman grill aesthetics was unique in its own right.

Sega Mega Drive with a Master System converter. The first BC console and it looked sexy as fuck.

What is most important is the beauty inside, people. Just remember It has Demon Souls, spiderman, ratchet and plenty of other games🥰

Mr. Nobody

There's no such thing as an ugly console. There's boring, like the xbone one vcr edition. And there's huge and mighty like the OG Xbox, but there is no ugly.

Even the PoS3 with its George foreman grill aesthetics was unique in its own right.

Sega Mega Drive with a Master System converter. The first BC console and it looked sexy as fuck.

The consoles design is definitely subjectively ugly as someone mentioned. For some, like myself, the new PS5 design will look out of place in most setups. All of the recent photos for the box make the disc version, the version most will purchase, look less appealing when placed horizontally. Also, that version design makes It seem like the disc drive was an afterthought. In the case of console designs, boring may have been the better direction. The OG PS2 was the pinnacle of their console designs to me.

cormack12

Gold Member
I just don't get the extra shit. Why fins that arc outwards? The internals are pretty much in a box, and it's like someone has gone fucking crazy with the butter icing.

New Sony phone
93375262915162c04b81617da973a2c4

New Sony TV
9558d2db9e35aadbe43557ffeb1abcb9

Sony projectors
bhftsztrv6aoy6xalvxr.jpg

Sony blu ray
21bc00c84e4451ec4a99c38ad8ebbe02

New Sony camera
Sony_a7C_FrontDiag.jpeg

Sony receiver
bb41c5b6d3b64e21b68c7857682ef195_3x3.jpg

Sony Playstation 5

tenor.gif

geordiemp

Note to Mark cerny: we wanted the most powerful console, not the biggest.

And what have you seen in viewing actual games running to suggest ps5 is not punching above its paper specs ?

Fast clocks and fast GPU caches / cache bandwidth feeding the shaders seems to be giving good results, dont knock it unless the performance has some hidden demons we have not seen yet.

Who thought 6 months ago we would be getting native 4K and Ray tracing and a performance mode for 60 FPS - results are what counts.

I just don't get the extra shit. Why fins that arc outwards? The internals are pretty much in a box, and it's like someone has gone fucking crazy with the butter icing.

New Sony phone
93375262915162c04b81617da973a2c4

New Sony TV
9558d2db9e35aadbe43557ffeb1abcb9

Sony projectors
bhftsztrv6aoy6xalvxr.jpg

Sony blu ray
21bc00c84e4451ec4a99c38ad8ebbe02

New Sony camera
Sony_a7C_FrontDiag.jpeg

Sony receiver
bb41c5b6d3b64e21b68c7857682ef195_3x3.jpg

Sony Playstation 5

tenor.gif

Is this How the base sustain the console?
Oh Man...😂

nowhat

A youtuber will talk about it for 10 minutes, strangely enough always 10!!!
That's got to do with YouTubes ad algorithms, if I've got it right. More likely to get ads on longer videos or somesuch. But yes, this does make many videos needlessly long.

Dodkrake

Banned
It's also made with early 90s technology.

PlayStation 5 is objectively ugly. Seriously, what were they thinking?!

I agree with @Samanosuke Akechi, PlayStation 2 is still the best looking Sony console.

I still got my Aqua Blue version and I'm never selling it. 😍

KRTJHgA.png

Nope, it's subjectively ugly. You may not like it, but doesn't mean others don't like it.

For example, to me the PS2 is ugly as sin. Does it make it objectively ugly? No. It's an opinion.

And the PS5 does not look pretty at all, but I'll reserve my judgment after having it in my hands.

thelastword

Banned
That picture always cracks me up. Thanks MHK.....The google guy with the pink thong does me in..... and that XBOX skull....Gabe looks on point and Mario with the slipping vest collar implies so much.....Very funny stuff....The picture is worth a thousand words, so expressive....

And yes, PS is the biggest console indeed.....

Journey

Banned
There is no NARRATIVE. Most people didnt care but it was ammo.

Just like the Xbox guys have been jumping all over the size for a WHILE now, just like the Playstation guys jumped all over halo infinite.
just like the XBOX guys jumped all over giant enemy crabs or whatever else. There isnt a running narrative just different people making
memes for decades.

You just described a narrative :messenger_grinning_sweat:

thelastword

Banned
Gamers: PS4 is like a rocket launching in my house

Cerny: Ok we heard you, we have built a very fast system with an exotic cooling system that scales according to the amount of power being used.

Gamers: Why is the PS5 so big and ugly Cerny....This is outrageous...

Cerny: But you are getting a very quiet and cool system, a new hardware design, you are getting a system based on speed and no bottlenecks, you are getting all the advanced ports and feature like Wifi 6, Bluetooth 5.1, many USB ports, VR2 port and much more built in, notwithstanding the fastest SSD on consoles, lots of custom hardware and architecture and some of the best 3D audio hardware and custom RT hardware.....

Gamers: That's not good enough, we wanted all of what you mentioned for $299 in the PS1 slim form factor. Go home Cerny, you are not ready for primetime.....I will not buy this atrocity and place it in my godly apartment......

----------------------------------
Meanwhile in the real world, pre-orders are sold out within minutes. People are livid that they can't get a preorder of the PS5 yet.....

Kadve

it can't be larger than the Atari 5200.....

atari_5200_rolfe.jpg

Nope, but just barely. 15" x 13" x 4.25" for the 5200 and 15.4" x 10.24" x 4.09" (645) for the ps5

And i do believe they are booth beaten by a mile by the monstrosity that was the RDI halcyon. (Used laserdiscs, to give you a size approximation, also the most expensive console of all time with a suggested retail price of 2500 USD in 1985)

SkJOGFXB3cw7z00lsaBNUjGOUvlS5iZlxqkKUFLKUIVgImY6TE8gVe8jZvLpU5auxN8ICrshwAKwOorfmeiRvjt5pm_kkL-7U9TIC_V3WySel3aEq_OnnvmEIeRuDbMy5A

Last edited:
The consoles design is definitely subjectively ugly as someone mentioned. For some, like myself, the new PS5 design will look out of place in most setups. All of the recent photos for the box make the disc version, the version most will purchase, look less appealing when placed horizontally. Also, that version design makes It seem like the disc drive was an afterthought. In the case of console designs, boring may have been the better direction. The OG PS2 was the pinnacle of their console designs to me.
I think it looks futuristic and mass effecty. Each to their own though eh?

Chronos24

As long as the thing stays quiet enough I'll be happy. Honestly that's all I truly care about. Ps4 noise really ruined some experiences (and yes I know wear headset but can't always do that)

The Alien

Banned
I had one that my mom got from a yard sale or something when I was a kid but I didn't realize what I had until years later & it was gone by then
All I wanted for Christmas was an Atari.

When we opened up our last gift...and it qas Coleco my sister and I were like "WTF?"

But after having the Atari adapter and some Coleco exclusives, I was sold. It reallybwas the better console.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
What worries me is that there no hands on videos.

If this thing was whisper quiet they'd be shouting about it from the rooftops.

Top Bottom