• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5 version of Quick Resume conspiracy theory (poll inside)

Do you think PS5 has a similar feature to Quick Resume?

• Yes

Votes: 198 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 109 27.0%
  • Aliens

Votes: 96 23.8%

• Total voters
My prediction

It is not as good as the xbox version, i think 2 games are max on ps5

They didnt mention anything

Tbh i would never use it anyways but is cool to have—

kuncol02

Banned
Even if doesn’t, it’s not like the XSX has a special hardware
It's not in hardware, but is part of XBox system architecture. On XBox all games are running basically on virtual machine that's why they were able to make that function. IF Sony didn't designed their system with quick resume from begging then they probably will not be able to add it later. So lets hope that they did, but for some reason decided not to show it.

CS Lurker

When in Rest Mode, you can't unplug the AC power cord. So, it means that everything is still in RAM (rather than being dumped on the SSD). In this case, only one game can be suspended. Now, it doesn't necessarly means there's no quick resume for more than one game. We can only wait for more infos. Tbh, quick resume is the best next-gen feature so far (IMO), and I really would like to have it on PS5 too (hell, and on my PC too, and also on switch 2).

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I think the intrigue is IF it will allow for several games/apps to be quick-resumed instead of just one title. With the switcher icon suggesting maybe so.

I’d be willing to bet an awful lot it is. They’ll have known Msft’s plans for it, and I doubt they’d want to get left behind on it.

Kokoloko85

Well they jumped right into Sackboy, so they do have quick resume... Why is this a question?

Question is do they have it for multiple games?

Last edited:
The switcher icon is quick resume I believe

If they can't do quick resume for more than 2 games I don't want to hear any talk about the UI being next gen

Please people don't try to downplay quick resume across multiple games

It's one of those features some gamers, stans, and fanboys try to pretend isn't amazing until they get to try it and can't live without it

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Probably has it. Not asking you to close a previous game is a pretty big tell. Just resumes where you left off. And GameS in the sleep menu.

yurinka

It's not in hardware, but is part of XBox system architecture. On XBox all games are running basically on virtual machine that's why they were able to make that function. IF Sony didn't designed their system with quick resume from begging then they probably will not be able to add it later. So lets hope that they did, but for some reason decided not to show it.
To do a Quick Resume you only need to copy the memory of the area spent by that game (plus maybe the registers of CPU & GPU) in a file. And then to resume to copy it back. You don't need a virtual machine, and they could implement it later.

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
I haven't voted on this. But as a future PS5 buyer (regardless of TF or SSD speed) - I'm not as impressed by the load speeds (with the exception of R&C, but that's in-game), as far as cold start are concerned. I thought cold start would be faster, hope to be proven wrong.

Having said that, still light years ahead of what I have over 5400rpm HDD currently so maybe I'm asking too much.

kuncol02

Banned
To do a Quick Resume you only need to copy the memory of the area spent by that game (plus maybe the registers of CPU & GPU) in a file. And then to resume to copy it back. You don't need a virtual machine, and they could implement it later.
That's not that easy. First you need to pause code execution both on GPU and CPU on all threads created by game. You need to take care of ongoing IO operations. What about GPU and CPU cache? What about OS level thread scheduler?
If that would be that easy we would already have that functionality in every modern operating system and best we can do is hibernate whole OS.

yurinka

That's not that easy. First you need to pause code execution both on GPU and CPU on all threads created by game. You need to take care of ongoing IO operations. What about GPU and CPU cache? What about OS level thread scheduler?
If that would be that easy we would already have that functionality in every modern operating system and best we can do is hibernate whole OS.
If it's that complicated why there are thousands of emulators in dozens of platforms doing it?

If they didn't do it in other consoles was because nobody cared about it because save states exist and people is fine with them. And well, even if they wanted, in previous consoles they were too slow writing this stuff in their HDD or similar, plus they maybe had HDD disk or card space concerns to store several games. Now with fast enough SSDs they will be able to do it with multiple games if they want.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
If it's that complicated why there are thousands of emulators in dozens of platforms doing it?

If they didn't do it in other consoles was because they were too slow writing this stuff in their HDD or similar, plus maybe HDD space concerns. Now with fast enough SSDs they will be able to do it with multiple games if they want.
Emulators are literally virtual machines.

yurinka

Emulators are literally virtual machines.
Some are, some aren't. And most virtual machines don't emulate any real machine, instead an abstract one (Java, the virtual machines for servers, etc). They are different concepts. Java has nothing to do with ZSNES, it's a totally different concept.

But in that case (to make a 'screenshot' of the game state to resume it later), it's the same: to copy the state everything in a file (being 99% of this file space the RAM) and store it in the HDD/SDD and then to do the opposite to resume the game.

We saw in the PS5 video to resume a suspended game (Sackboy) in a couple of seconds. And when while running Sackboy and launched Destruciton All Stars, took like 5-7 seconds, which may be ~2 seconds of loading Destruction plus the other ones to store the Sackboy state in a suspension mode. So maybe PS5 is already doing it.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

If they can't do quick resume for more than 2 games I don't want to hear any talk about the UI being next gen

It's one of those features some gamers, stans, and fanboys try to pretend isn't amazing until they get to try it and can't live without it

Its Awesome but it takes more than one feature for the UI to be next gen.
And I really want multi game quick resume. One of the main features I want. That and a better boost mode

FrankWza

What good does quick resume do when you’re on disc? Don’t you have to put in the disc if you want to swap between games? It’s not worth it if it’s going to sacrifice speed anywhere else. Still a next gen UI.

Banned

🖐

here me, I really don't like that it takes up SSD space, I rather have it turned off and some additional space, thank you very much.

🖐

here me, I really don't like that it takes up SSD space, I rather have it turned off and some additional space, thank you very much.
Surprise the OS already takes up SSD space so you might as well have quick resume
Sony should have made the OS interface 1080p to save space too right?
But of course people would complain about something as trivial as that or maybe make a thread like that MS one
:ROFLMAO:
Rumor is we only have 625GB of free space
I want quick resume and that's not a bad thing

Last edited:

Banned
Surprise the OS already takes up SSD space so you might as well have quick resume
Maybe the OS interface should have been 1080 too to save space?
But of course people would complain about something as trivial as that or maybe make a thread like that MS one
:ROFLMAO:
Rumor is we only have 625GB of free space
I want quick resume and that's not a bad thing

I already did the math in another thread.
Microsoft guarantees 5 suspended games at once. this means the SSD will need at least ~68GB of reserved space to guarantee this (the Series X has 13.5GB of RAM reserved for games, 5 x 13.5 = 67.5)
so if I want to download another game that would be about 70GB I would need to uninstall a game, if I then wanted to play said uninstalled 70GB game again I would need to wait about 45min with my download speeds.

in order to make up for that wait time by using the benefits quick resume gives me I would need to use quick resume about 90 to 110 times (by expecting a normal load time of 30 to 40sec without quick resume and 10sec with it), depending on the loading time differences between different games.

that is for every uninstalled game due to space limits I would have to use this feature I don't want up to 110 times or even more if we are talking bigger games (which would of course up the download time) to be even and for it to actually save me time.

Last edited:
I already did the math in another thread.
Microsoft guarantees 5 suspended games at once. this means the SSD will need at least ~68GB of reserved space to guarantee this (the Series X has 13.5GB of RAM reserved for games, 5 x 13.5 = 67.5)
so if I want to download another game that would be about 70GB I would need to uninstall a game, if I then wanted to play said uninstalled 70GB game again I would need to wait about 45min with my download speeds.

in order to make up for that wait time by using the benefits quick resume gives me I would need to use quick resume about 90 to 110 times, depending on the loading time differences between different games.

for every uninstalled game due to space limits I would have to use this feature I don't want up to 110 times or even more if we are talking bigger games, which would of course up the download time.
okay that's nice but I still want and will use quick resume :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
the switcher thing could just be the switch user function
you had a similar feature on the ps4 and interestingly i didn't see it when the guy put the ps5 in rest mode so they might of put in on the menu instead

the switcher thing could just be the switch user function
you had a similar feature on the ps4 and interestingly i didn't see it when the guy put the ps5 in rest mode so they might of put in on the menu instead
Saw Sackboy and a slight illustration of Destruction All Stars behind it
I think it's quick resume please don't jinx it :messenger_weary:

FrankWza

I'm digital
I get it. There’s just more disc based users and 4K TVs than people who are all digital AND will take advantage of 4 or 5 games quick resume. You have to admit, it takes some sparkle away from the feature if you are mostly disc. I think a good compromise is to leave the 4K and make it 2 games. Unless the gave you an option to limit like the quote below.

I'd love to see an option where you could limit how many games are part of the quick resume feature to get SSD space back.
I like this idea.

Last edited:
I get it. There’s just more disc based users and 4K TVs than people who are all digital AND will take advantage of 4 or 5 games. You have to admit, it take some sparkle away from the feature if you are mostly disc. I think I good compromise is to leave the 4K and make it 2 games. Unless the gave you an option to limit like the quote below.

I like this idea.
I'm only referring to myself
Digital games have increased immensely in terms of popularity and a lot more people are going digital than ever
I'm pretty sure Sony's first party sales were mostly digital at one point this year
One third party company reported of the 4 mil TLOU2 sold in its first week, 2.8 mil of the sales were digital
This trend is going to continue
People complaining about quick resume like I care :ROFLMAO:
I'm going to use quick resume and that's all that matters to me
Stop with this two game nonsense :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

FrankWza

I'm only referring to myself
Digital games have increased immensely in terms of popularity and a lot more people are going digital than ever
I'm pretty sure Sony's first party sales were mostly digital at one point this year
One third party company reported of the 4 mil TLOU2 sold in its first week, 2.8 mil of the sales were digital
This trend is going to continue
People complaining about quick resume like I care :ROFLMAO:
I'm going to use quick resume and that's all that matters to me
Stop with this two game nonsense :ROFLMAO:

I don’t know about that TLOU2 # continuing though. It was probably from preorders.
Even with that, the Digital Edition console was 20% of what Sony made. It makes little sense for their overall customer base. Why gimp another part of the system for something that a percentage of that 20% will use? How many games do you need to quick resume at once? I think it’s a nice feature but not a feature you’d want to sacrifice system performance for. 2 games is more than perfect.

I don’t know about that TLOU2 # continuing though. It was probably from preorders.
Even with that, the Digital Edition console was 20% of what Sony made. It makes little sense for their overall customer base. Why gimp another part of the system for something that a percentage of that 20% will use? How many games do you need to quick resume at once? I think it’s a nice feature but not a feature you’d want to sacrifice system performance for. 2 games is more than perfect.
2 games is laughable
Digital sales are increasing whether people like it or not and again Sony's first party sales were mostly digital
Not everyone will care for quick resume but a lot of people with digital libraries will
Research into it and you will discover more and more people are preferring digital
This has been a more recent trend that will increase due to COVID
Even though you can get discs mailed or do curbside pickup, people with fast enough internet connections prefer the convenience of digital
Believe it or not I was also a disc only guy but once I went to the digital dark side there was no turning back
I don't buy completely digital but the majority of my purchases are

Last edited:

Damigos

But the goal is to suspend a game when you can't save, for example in middle of a cinematic or before you reach a check point. I suppose you have to be a parent to appreciate this feature :p
I am not yet, but hopefully i ll be in about a year. There is always the pause button for these cases, i guess :messenger_sunglasses:

borborygmus

On Ps4 you could hit the Home/PS button to forcefully pause a game at any time. This suggests the existence of a hypervisor layer, unless it's some API hook where developers have to implement "force pause" in their games, but the latter case seems unlikely and I'm pretty sure there is some level of virtualization or at least OS-level abstraction of the game state.

On this basis, it seems "quick resume" is already within reach and mostly a matter of deciding whether to use disk space for it, rather than being technically challenging.

Top Bottom