• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PSP Appreciation and Collecting Thread

dubc35

I think it's better to know before-hand that the dungeons in P3 are basically all the same. I try to reach the top floor available in one trip to the tartarus and then play the regular school days as if it was a VN. Clearing quests and rescuing people that get lost in the tartarus gives me the extra grinding I need.

This is definitely the best version of P3 available. You can watch the missing chapter (The Truth) in youtube anyways.

Good point. It was the first Persona game I played and I didn't know much about it going in.

Clive

Hey all, random question. Wikipedia says that there were 3 Armored Core PSP games released outside Japan. I have Formula Front but I can't find Last Raven and Silent Line anywhere in English. I'm tempted to think that they never were released outside of Japan. If they really were released in North America, I'd be able to find them online right? Even though I'd be ordering them to the UK?

They were released in North America, but only on PSN.

PaulBizkit

I see. Thanks for the heads up. I'm looking for some really quality games to add to my collection but given I have 200 games, I'm struggling to find more to add.

see if you can add the Retro City Rampage "psp edition", i know it's just a box, but it's something

CoWrTw8VUAEjjJ8.png

dubc35

Japanese market had some good and quirky PSP titles: Densho De Go series, Portable Island (lol), Star Soldier (I need to spend more time with this one).

I'm sure I'm leaving out a ton of Japanese market games; only highlighting the ones I had purchased so far.
...and of course Initial D /avatar quote

dubc35

I need to play it again. I wonder how it would play on a PSP Go via HDTV with a dual shock controller as compared to the nub or d-pad. I'd like to pick up a Go but do I really need a third PSP? Lol.

hitgirl

I was thinking of picking up a PSP to play around with custom firmware and emulation. Any chance I can find a new one? Which model has the best screen?

The 2000 is pretty good and is easy to run custom firmware on.
The PSP really is an awesome machine once it's cracked.
Most people never experience the full power of this little gem though. It will play just about every game ever made up until the year 2000, plus all of it's own games of course.
They are selling for 30/40 bucks these days, which is a total giveaway.

My main 2000 has a 128GB MicroSD Card installed and holds a ton of movies, games and music on it. I also have a white 2000 and an early 1000 too.

Plan on getting a few more while they are still really cheap.

The PSP is without doubt my favorite handheld of all time.

c-murph

Look at my most recent haul from a local flea market:

NJhjh6f.jpg

All of them in awesome condition with the exception of Legend II's case and the sticker junk. But the game, artwork and manual are like new.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
In an effort to reduce my possessions I'm going through my collection and selling off some of my games and consoles and I think the PSP is next up on the chopping block. I'm gonna give my whole library one more playthrough and then list what I have for sale.

Can I do that in this thread or am I required to stick to the B/S/T thread instead?

Shinriji

I have some loose UMD that I bought at bookoff. The ebay replacement plastic boxes are close to the real thing or anyone have a better suggestion?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
In an effort to reduce my possessions I'm going through my collection and selling off some of my games and consoles and I think the PSP is next up on the chopping block. I'm gonna give my whole library one more playthrough and then list what I have for sale.

Can I do that in this thread or am I required to stick to the B/S/T thread instead?

BST probably, but it's probably fine linking/mentioning it here when you post them since it's relevant to the thread.

Takao

Banned
Konami is ending download services for the first six PSP Yu-Gi-Oh! Tagforce games: https://twitter.com/YuGiOh_OCG_INFO/status/839023255344164864?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

This includes deck recipe, updated ban lists, and free cards. None of it's a huge loss since there are save files with complete collections floating around.

They're also removing Tagforce 6 from Japanese PSN: https://twitter.com/YuGiOh_OCG_INFO/status/839014897866289153

Both of these have only been announced for Japan (there are no TF games on PSN in NA), but I can't imagine this closure will be JP-only for long.

this is clearly in prep for the long awaited tf7 on vita and no some license expiring, no sir

I was thinking about my ideal handheld/console hybrid when I realized it was pretty much the PSPgo. So I bought a PSPgo. And a cradle. And component cables.

I was surprised to see NIB white PSPgo still available for around $200USD on Amazon considering how much good condition used ones go for. I bought a used one but was pretty tempted to just go new. The cradle being so expensive was pretty annoying, though.

So I got my PSP Go. Not as good condition as I expected but not so bad. Some scratches I don't like. Anyone tried replacement screens on ebay? Are they any good?

The nub is tiny!

PaulBizkit

So I got my PSP Go. Not as good condition as I expected but not so bad. Some scratches I don't like. Anyone tried replacement screens on ebay? Are they any good?

The nub is tiny!

Have you tried running the same game on the PSPGO and on a normal PSP to see if you can notice differences in color saturation and that sort of stuff?

Have you tried running the same game on the PSPGO and on a normal PSP to see if you can notice differences in color saturation and that sort of stuff?

Not yet but the Go screen looks super vibrant. I'm not sure if it's artificial or what. There's a color space setting that has "wide" and "standard" that I assumed was for TVs but affects the built in LCD as well.

I can try later today. I have a 2000 as well.

the wide/normal color settings are kinda bizarre. "Wide" makes blacks a kind of dark navy green, but it looks way better for a lot of the later games. Much better vibrancy. MHP3rd, for example, seems like it was clearly designed for the wide colour space. I'd wager neither is really "better" in terms of calibration or anything, just different.

I can try later today. I have a 2000 as well.

So the ghosting difference is immediately noticable. The Go has a little bit but the 2000 is super smeary. In terms of color they look pretty similar on normal color space other than maybe a bit more vibrant in greens/yellows but with wide on everything really pops out in what I have to assume is an artificial way. It looks nice though.

Got my dock and component cables and hooked it up.

I have so many questions along the lines of "the fuck were they thinking?"

Mostly I just want to know if there's any homebrew to enable full screen 16:9 480p in games. The default output is pretty tiny and my TV's scaling options are pretty limited.

Got my dock and component cables and hooked it up.

I have so many questions along the lines of "the fuck were they thinking?"

Mostly I just want to know if there's any homebrew to enable full screen 16:9 480p in games. The default output is pretty tiny and my TV's scaling options are pretty limited.

Are you talking PSP games or PS1games? If its PSP games, I don't think so. I know that it was made tiny, because the hardware couldn't handle it. I really only use my component cables for PS1.

Are you talking PSP games or PS1games? If its PSP games, I don't think so. I know that it was made tiny, because the hardware couldn't handle it. I really only use my component cables for PS1.

PSP games. It's surprisingly neat seeing them on a TV; Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny looks great. It's just my TV's scaling at best makes it look like a 4:3 game running in letterboxed widescreen.

One more reason to get a new Framemeister I guess.

I have a PS1 modded and I really prefer just backing up my PSN games and burning them for play on real hardware.

I found some homebrew called Fusa SD but the scaling is awful and it causes slowdown.

cj_iwakura

Looks like Summon Night 5 is literally going to be the last physical PSP game in the US.

I expect it's going to skyrocket in value before long.

oldmario

Looks like Summon Night 5 is literally going to be the last physical PSP game in the US.

I expect it's going to skyrocket in value before long.

i think it is actually, retro city rampage guy said something about not being able to get that game made physically because they had stopped production on umd discs now

PaulBizkit

Hoard from my trip to Japan! Courtesy of Book-Off (chain of stores) and Akihabara stores. It's amazing the amount of PSP games you can find in big, small and second-hand stores all over tokyo.

And yes, the vita is selling LIKE CRAZY there.

The whole thing - Special and normal editions
01.jpg

Only special editions - BRS, DR2, Hack//Link and DJ Max Portable Black Square
02.jpg

ALL the games without SE boxes
03.jpg

Black Rock Shooter SE - That keychain is the smallest thing ever
04_1.jpg

This game has item names and commands in english, the rest is in japanese.

.hack//Link SE - There's a DRAMATIC CD (??) and a DVD
05.jpg

The game and the dvd are already available in english online

Artbook, FOUR music CDs and the game itself
06_1.jpg

I saw the DJMP3 SE too, but I had already bought the normal version.
This franchise is very stylish.

DR2 big-ass box
07.jpg

It's heavy. Didn't see a DR1 SE anywhere.

And the back, it's always cool to see the original talents in japanese
08.jpg

Ibuki Mioda's talent is K-ON
Mikan's talent is Health-care Committee

This box is PACKED
- Artbook
- OST (with dialogs)
- The cooles pouch ever
- Monokuma coin + Hope's Peak badge
- Monokuma + Monomi keychains
09.jpg

The best purchase so far.

Close-up of the coins and keychains.
10.jpg

I also bought the Monster Hunter 3rd PSP, I'll upload photos later!

Glowsquid

I think I've gone fully cray-cray because I got Coded Arms two days ago and after around thirty levels of repetitive dungeon crawling, I honestly think it kind of rules. I like the whole semi--random dungeon crawling structure and the aesthetics of it. It certainly made me even more interested in trying out the Rengoku games, which seem similar but with Armored Core-esque custmoization.

Which is the best of the two PSP-exclusive Star Wars Battlefront, btw?

PaulBizkit

I think I've gone fully cray-cray because I got Coded Arms two days ago and after around thirty levels of repetitive dungeon crawling, I honestly think it kind of rules. I like the whole semi--random dungeon crawling structure and the aesthetics of it. It certainly made me even more interested in trying out the Rengoku games, which seem similar but with Armored Core-esque custmoization.

Which is the best of the two PSP-exclusive Star Wars Battlefront, btw?

Elite Squadron, it has more multiplayer levels and stuff. Its campaign mode is great, the story is about the beginnings of the rebellion.

Glowsquid

Man, Elite Squadron rules. Sure the control schemes suffer a bit from having to fit the PSP and the vehicle selection has been scaled back, but being able to take off in a starfighter and dogfight for a bit before landing to the planet below, capturing an ion cannon and shooting the enemy capital ship with it, then fly back to space and infiltrate the enemy ship to blow it up, all that done near-seamlessly over the course of a unscripted multiplayer match is 👌

Glowsquid

I don't know many people are Gundam game connoiseurs, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask: Does Gundam Battle Universe makes the previous Gundam Battle games entirely redundant, or if Battle Royale has different missions / gameplay mechanics / suits, etc to not make it completely obselete?

jonno394

Hoard from my trip to Japan! Courtesy of Book-Off (chain of stores) and Akihabara stores. It's amazing the amount of PSP games you can find in big, small and second-hand stores all over tokyo.

Love these pics, just made me dig out my PSP to play a few tracks of K-On!

Edit - decided to finally give Patapon a go too. Took a short while to understand what the hell i was doing, but finished three levels now. Good fun.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Is there a general Vita-thread somewhere? Might as well ask here if not. I know alot of Vita-games are not compatible with the PS TV, but isnt it possible to hack it to make all games compatible, more or less? Kinda want to sell my Vita as I never use handhelds anymore, and considering i own a PS TV for most of the games i want to play on it.

Clive

Is there a general Vita-thread somewhere? Might as well ask here if not. I know alot of Vita-games are not compatible with the PS TV, but isnt it possible to hack it to make all games compatible, more or less? Kinda want to sell my Vita as I never use handhelds anymore, and considering i own a PS TV for most of the games i want to play on it.

There is a thread for Vita homebrew which sounds like what you are looking for:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1254645

PaulBizkit

That's an insane battery life for a PSP.

It's amazing how long it lasts. Of course, those are not actually 16 hours running Ghost Of Sparta on max brightness and max volume with the UMD constantly reading.

But using it inside the house, on brightness 2, low volume (or with headphones) and playing games (psx or psp) straight from the memory card (like I've always done), it lasts A LOT. Like, my psp-2000 model (bought on june 2008) would have depleted its charge like 5 times before this new one started blinking the battery led.

It's amazing

Would love to get one of those mon hun 3ks. The extra bumps in the back really sound amazing. I just play on my vita these days, though, so I don't think I'll ever buy one.

PaulBizkit

Would love to get one of those mon hun 3ks. The extra bumps in the back really sound amazing. I just play on my vita these days, though, so I don't think I'll ever buy one.

Those bumps on the back make it feel like a new console. It's pretty comfortable and makes it feel sturdy too. Plus, it doesn't have the piano-type plastic, so it looks cleaner too.

I just love the PSP as a whole and what it can do. And I say it as someone who has used it to play PSP and PSX games (tested the gba and snes emulators one time, but I prefer to play those on pc emulators)

Those bumps on the back make it feel like a new console. It's pretty comfortable and makes it feel sturdy too. Plus, it doesn't have the piano-type plastic, so it looks cleaner too.

I just love the PSP as a whole and what it can do. And I say it as someone who has used it to play PSP and PSX games (tested the gba and snes emulators one time, but I prefer to play those on pc emulators)
Yeah, absolutely. I've still got 64GB worth of content of my PSP, having all of that on the go in a wonderful form factor is amazing. But now that homebrew allows me to do everything I did on my PSP with my Vita, I've finally put it away.
I miss cheap memory though.

Top Bottom