• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PSX Troll and E3 Payoff

History

Prior to the inaugural PSX event in 2014, GAF was abuzz with rumors of potential The Last Guardian, Shenmue 3, and Final Fantasy 7 Remake announcements. The hype going into that conference was unbridled, and it all came crashing down during the show with arguably the biggest troll in gaming history (FF7 HD port). SquareEnix was the target of disappointment and hatred from many fans and press for months.

The thing is... they knew they had the Final Fantasy 7 Remake in the works. Come Sony's E3 2015, the vitriol evaporated as FF7R and the other two hyped games were announced/reintroduced. It was a conference of legend.

Another rumored announcement came in the form of a Crash Bandicoot revival. When Shawn Layden walked out on stage at the PSX 2015 conference wearing a Crash shirt, myself and others thought they finally worked out a deal with Activision. However, nothing was announced. It wasn't until Uncharted 4 released earlier this year that the Crash buzz received more weight, finally culminating in a remaster collection announcement at Sony's E3 2016 conference. Shawn even referenced his PSX Crash shirt during the announcement.

PSX 2016 Troll

Two years in a row there have been troll PSX teases with payoff announcements at the following E3. While this is by no means a pattern (nor something that was likely intentional... I think...), I would like to think Sony will make this a tradition going forward.

Assuming there is a PSX event this year, what game announcement do you think Sony could troll tease for a follow up reveal at E3 2017, and how do you think they would troll it?

Though I would love to see Bloodborne 2, considering the previous trolls were for third party announcements of recently rumored games, I could see them going for the Red Dead 3 tease. As for how they could troll it, perhaps a trailer for some Western-themed GTAV DLC, or maybe Shawn walks out in a cowboy hat?

I'm sure GAF can get more creative. We know Sony has read these kinds of threads in the past (Adam Boyes popped into the PSX 2014 hype thread), so give them some good ideas!

I loved those PSX teases/trolls from the previous two years but I'm confident they wouldn't do anything with Red Dead. It made sense with FFVII and Crash as they are games that are associated with Playstation and Red Dead isn't. Here's hoping they have some sort of fun tease this year.

I think saying "they knew they had the FF7 remake in the works" Ia giving them the benefit of the doubt.

More importantly, I don't think trolling your customer base is an advisable business strategy.

black070

382043_2.jpg

DMONKUMA

Maybe tease something on what naughty dog is working on?

I figured Sony has a pattern of what to do for some of the events.

PSX=troll/tease
E3=reveal

I also think that they have a idea what to do for e3 now since for the past two they've had 3 core games from the conferences that were anticipated or unexpected. They also are kind of fit into an archetype

PlayStation first party exclusive:Last Guardian, God of War
Multiplatform title with some type of exclusivity: FFVII Remake(Timed), RE7(PSVR)
Console exclusive with PC port that has director on stage:Shenmue 3, Death Stranding

They know what they are doing.

They'll get on stage and say..
"Now we are about to show you one of PlayStations most iconic mascots"

Gaf will sing praises and Jump the gun thinking first crash remake gameplay, but in reality they'll announce Ape escape 4 2017
Afterwards"plz look forward to more crash news next e3" Xp

Tregard

Soothsayer
They'll get on stage and say..
"Now we are about to show you one of PlayStations most iconic mascots"

Gaf will sing praises and Jump the gun thinking first crash remake gameplay, but in reality they'll announce Ape escape 4 2017
Afterwards"plz look forward to more crash news next e3" Xp

Ape Escape 4 would be way more exciting IMO

Well since their "plan" is revealed and posted on arguably the biggest gaming forum out there, they probably won't do anything since "we're on to them".

Good going, OP!

Stage will have a beach theme similar to Ellie's shirt in TLoU

N.Domixis

Banned
I loved those PSX teases/trolls from the previous two years but I'm confident they wouldn't do anything with Red Dead. It made sense with FFVII and Crash as they are games that are associated with Playstation and Red Dead isn't. Here's hoping they have some sort of fun tease this year.

Its time to fix that with this gen. I always saw Rockstar Games as being associated with ps since GTA became popular.

Is there even going to be a 2016 PSX? I'm not sure if there is going to be. We are already over a month past when they made the announcement for it in 2015

Kind of tired of it. Especially after E3 and the PS Pro reveal where kind of wet farts for Sony.

I hope for their next event they dont fuck around with trolls and teases. Have a event that leaves you feeling good about PlayStation afterwards for a change and not end with you asking "what that it?"

I loved that troll, gave us this excellent gif:

Y5hq4Sh.gif

If Sony really wanted to troll, they'd have Shawn Layden arrive during his next appearance wearing a shirt with the silhouette of a stylized secret agent.

EDIT: like a shirt with this on it

Kind of tired of it. Especially after E3 and the PS Pro reveal where kind of wet farts for Sony.

I hope for their next event they dont fuck around with trolls and teases. Have a event that leaves you feeling good about PlayStation afterwards for a change.

You're in the minority there, friendo.

I-hate-u

If there was going to be a PSX this year, they would have announced it by now. No Euro show either GG.

As for the troll, I guess Layden can come out with a Dante wig.

I hope for their next event they dont fuck around with trolls and teases. Have a event that leaves you feeling good about PlayStation afterwards for a change and not end with you asking "what that it?"

post-51491-LOST-Hurley-WHAT-gif-Imgur-gfy-hgvM.gif

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

TGS... surely you mean TGS.

Didn't something happen with the voice actor or something

This did, but I have no idea what happened after

Anyway, dont think its an issue for them to make another one tbh

Who knows if Sony even cares about that (IMO they should... guy's a fucking psycho) but they could easily just recast him. Either get a soundalike or just a new voice or even go Um Jammer Lammy style and make a sequel without having Parappa actually in it.

Make it Parappa's Rap Academy and you make your own rapper and Parappa's not actually in the game but there's a giant statue of him in front of the building because he died or something.

DrD

I'd prefer it if they didn't troll to be honest. Would be cool if they made PSX into their European show this year by combining the two.

Show off more of Horizon, Spider-Man, Detroit, WiLD, Matterfall, Final Fantasy VII Remake, and the Crash Bandicoot remake. Announce some more mid tier/indie games, more Japanese games like Ace Combat 7, and the Uncharted 4 single player DLC. Keep it well presented with little talking similar to E3.

eFKac

Buahahaha

ZarKryn7

I don't know about a teaser but but I've been seeing rumors here and Twitter and Reddit (which I can't find unfortunately) about a PlayStation all stars 2 reveal.

Outrun

I am sort of jaded with E3, the payoff is when the game is in my hand, and it is excellent.

Sony are masters of presentation and the mic drop, that's for sure :)

Top Bottom