The Punisher goes woke?

Jan 21, 2018
Republic of Catalonia
In yet another unsurprising political rape of a beloved franchise, Netflix is going to make The Punisher fight against an "alt right christian fundamentalist" in season 2.

Yes, in a world full of muslim terrorist attacks, they are going to make christianity and white people the enemy. But it's just a coincidence, nothing to do with any political agenda at all.

Mar 6, 2018
I think you can make anyone the villain without upsetting people, just as long as you balance it out with...

A) Non-extremist versions of whatever the focus of the extremist happens to be.

or

B) Acknowledgement that the extremist isn't a representative of the normal people in his or her group.

Hopefully in a "show, don't tell" way, that doesn't beat you over the head with a message. I'm not sure I trust Netflix to do that, though.

Didn't we already get enough of the "crazy religious guy" villain from the absolute worst parts of Luke Cage season 1. Good show, but that guy was the worst villain out of every marvel show by far.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Apr 11, 2007
It boggles my mind just how subversive and blind the leftists are to Muslim atrocities in general. Its do obvious that if they are causing troubles wherever they are in a substantial population, be it Europe, US, India, Russia, Philippines, then there must br something wrong with the religion itself! But no. Leftists will blame it on poverty, war, disillusionment, feeling alone and what not. Anything but religion. I dont see minority Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs etc going on rampage anywhere.
Kinda digressed from the point but it disgusts me that not only the world turns a blind eye towards atrocities by Muslims, it also punishes anyone who dares speak about it. And i am not even a Christian to whom this Punisher thing should matter. But the hypocrisy of liberals is obvious.

Dec 10, 2018
In yet another unsurprising political rape of a beloved franchise, Netflix is going to make The Punisher fight against an "alt right christian fundamentalist" in season 2.

Yes, in a world full of muslim terrorist attacks, they are going to make christianity and white people the enemy. But it's just a coincidence, nothing to do with any political agenda at all.
The character is probably going to based on the Mennonite from the ennis fun of the character. I understand the sentiment but it’s probally him hiding hiding his pathology behind Christianity as opposed to actual demonizing of the religion. Like far cry 5.

Dec 9, 2014
Canton, MA
The news for me here is that there is going to be another punisher season. I thought Netflix was cancelling all their marvel shows
If I had to guess this season was already in the works before all the hatchets started to fall on the Marvel shows and this will probably be the last for the Punisher

Sep 30, 2005
"You mean defending themselves from the Rohingya terrorism and occupation?"

First time I've seen a genocide referred to this way.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
I don’t see an issue.

Haven’t KKK, Nazis, and other white supremacy types been bad guys in these films, books, shows before?

I hate that everything has to be part of a movement now no matter what.

Oh they cast a PoC? SJW TRASH! Oh the main character is gay??? STOP SHOVING YOUR POLITICS DOWN MY THROAT! Oh there’s only white people in this historically accurate European game (Kingdom Come)? NAZI BIGOTS!!’

Both sides need to chill the fuck out. Like seriously. Every creative decision doesn’t have to be drenched in hidden agenda. We make mountains out of molehills.

I’m sick of it.

Ironically it’s very often that the people calling out “outrage culture” are the ones outraged themselves.

Fbh

Dec 6, 2013
Lol come on. So unless the bad guy is a muslim terrorist the show is "woke propaganda"??

The news for me here is that there is going to be another punisher season. I thought Netflix was cancelling all their marvel shows
I think the new seasons of both this and Jessica Jones were too far into production for it to make sense to cancel them, but at this point it's pretty safe to assume that these new seasons are the last we will see of both show.

At least now that creators know the shows will be cancelled they can maybe alter the endings to give a sense of closure

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
I know everyone is liking this but I wanted to quote it because of how good this sentence is. Already starting 2019 with like 20 fire emojis!
It’s a funny post, for sure.

IMO it’s misguided. Not every creative decision in entertainment equals “WHITE PEOPLE BAD!”

Everyone take a breath. It’s gonna be ok. The Punisher isn’t coming to “replace the white man.”

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
You mean defending themselves from the Rohingya terrorism and occupation?

Funny how always muslims are the common denominator.
This claims needs to have some extraordinarily good evidence, because right now I'm pretty sure those people are being genocided.

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
If serious, this is an absolutely ridiculous statement.
Oh I'm serious, it's basically why I canceled my account. Outside of shit like Family Guy and, oh idk, Black mirror or older stuff like the Xfiles or something from before the culture wars got really brutal, I find nearly everything they have to be pushing an agenda on me. I used to be a pretty huge stand up fan, and the constant recommendations for woke comedy special drove me insane.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
Oh I'm serious, it's basically why I canceled my account. Outside of shit like Family Guy and, oh idk, Black mirror or older stuff like the Xfiles or something from before the culture wars got really brutal, I find nearly everything they have to be pushing an agenda on me. I used to be a pretty huge stand up fan, and the constant recommendations for woke comedy special drove me insane.
Bill Burr, Tom Segura, Joe Rogan, and Dave Chappelle are too woke for you? They have been trying to get specials from women comedians, but that's because there's a market there.

Jan 21, 2018
Republic of Catalonia
"You mean defending themselves from the Rohingya terrorism and occupation?"

First time I've seen a genocide referred to this way.
That means you haven't read a single history book. Neither the definition of genocide.

Let's remember; Rohingyas massacred the buddhists and basically tried to steal the land by either creating a separate muslim state or anexing the territory to Pakistan.

This claims needs to have some extraordinarily good evidence, because right now I'm pretty sure those people are being genocided.
This claims need to have some extraordinarily good evidence, because right now I'm pretty sure those people aren't being genocided.

Ethnic cleansing? Maybe that's close, and even that is debatable because what is called as Rohingyas aren't that much of an ethnicity, but just muslims from a wide different backgrounds.

And let's not forget how muslims have operated through history when they start to be a powerful force in numbers in any region. Sadly, making them flee from your country so everybody else can live in peace, is sometimes the lesser bad. Otherwise the risk of ongoing muslim terrorism and a potential war is there.

Nearly all content on Netflix is “woke?”

I’m sorry that’s just flat out wrong. That’s what the guy said.
I don't think nearly all is woke, but a lot of it is for sure.

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
Bill Burr, Tom Segura, Joe Rogan, and Dave Chappelle are too woke for you? They have been trying to get specials from women comedians, but that's because there's a market there.
Yes actually. Joe is so much softer now than he was in the past. Never liked Tom Segura, DC is good occasionally, I get tired of Bill Burr's voice and opinions. You will never see someone like Nick Diapaolo get a special I think.

Dec 3, 2018
I don’t see an issue.

Haven’t KKK, Nazis, and other white supremacy types been bad guys in these films, books, shows before?

I hate that everything has to be part of a movement now no matter what.

Oh they cast a PoC? SJW TRASH! Oh the main character is gay??? STOP SHOVING YOUR POLITICS DOWN MY THROAT! Oh there’s only white people in this historically accurate European game (Kingdom Come)? NAZI BIGOTS!!’

Both sides need to chill the fuck out. Like seriously. Every creative decision doesn’t have to be drenched in hidden agenda. We make mountains out of molehills.

I’m sick of it.

Ironically it’s very often that the people calling out “outrage culture” are the ones outraged themselves.

this so much
throw this crap in politics subforum
so sick of paranoid lunatics seeing things
fuck their black and white world
being equally crazy as the other side of spectrum

telling me if i don't see that or choose to ignore "obvious propaganda"
i just have to be some crazy warrior this or other side
can't win with that demented way of thinking

show me any piece of any media
and i can find "proof" that it has all kind of agendas
it is really easy to see things if you want to see them

Jan 21, 2018
Republic of Catalonia
it is really easy to see things if you want to see them
Apparently it is really easy to make yourself blind if you want to.

Also the ridiculous notion of "I'm not on any side, so therefore I'm correct and you are and extremist!".

First of all is like dude, you are clearly on one side, who you are trying to fool with your appeal to equidistance?

Dec 3, 2018
Apparently it is really easy to make yourself blind if you want to.

Also the ridiculous notion of "I'm not on any side, so therefore I'm correct and you are and extremist!".

First of all is like dude, you are clearly on one side, who you are trying to fool with your appeal to equidistance?
i am not correct because i am not on any side
i am just open to having normal discussion about things without dividing everyone
on my camp and the other

like i said you can see whatever agenda you want in any piece of fiction
i have seen both sides using the same game to have an outrage meltdown
i refuse to be part of this kind of madness
go preach in politics subforum

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018

What Netflix originals (besides the anime I guess) aren't woke? Their shows are incredibly predictable politics wise, and this punisher direction isn't a surprise. This is the same show that had a forced conservative sterotype and a PTSD character straight out of the Hollywood cliche book

Of course the big bad guy is a "alt right" christian. Who else would they dare criticize?

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018
Republic of Catalonia
i am not correct because i am not on any side
Yes you are, but you don't want to admit it because then you would lose your self imposed "objective middle ground above the extremists" fake stance.

And dude, the mere fact they are using the term alt-right already specifies what kind of agenda they have. You just want to pretend they don't have it because you like that type of agenda? That's fine, but at least be honest.

And yes, the thread should be moved to politics.

Nov 20, 2018

Its kinda true though. Netflix is a very left-wing platform, it has a few series that dont spit politics, but mostly its left-grade soup. Heres a page which doesnt work anymore in EU for some reason https://www.tribpub.com/gdpr/sandiegouniontribune.com/

4. june 2018 - A poll shows Netflix is more popular among left-leaning Democrats.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018
Yes you are, but you don't want to admit it because then you would lose your self imposed "objective middle ground above the extremists" fake stance.

And dude, the mere fact they are using the term alt-right already specifies what kind of agenda they have. You just want to pretend they don't have it because you like that type of agenda? That's fine, but at least be honest.

And yes, the thread should be moved to politics.
can you please stop telling me who i am what i think and what i like?

you see i don't live in usa i don't use twitter or facebook
this war between sjw and alt-right i don't give a fuck about that

you know how i feel now?
i hear one of these jehovah witnesses
knocking on my door
asking hey what are you watching?
and then start to tell me what is this show's agenda
what the creators wanted to achieve
and then start telling me if i disagree then i am one of them
and i will probably end up in hell :messenger_dizzy:

i can understand that you see these weird things
statements agendas whatever
and i am even fine with you expressing that (in politics subforum)
i feel like it is completly fine if you boycot these shows or games
you have to do what you have to do
but stop telling me what the creators had in mind
and what i am if i have different reaction that you
let me judge all of it for myself
thanks

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018
Republic of Catalonia
can you please stop telling me who i am what i think and what i like?
Never!

you see i don't live in usa i don't use twitter or facebook
this war between sjw and alt-right i don't give a fuck about that
Hello, I'm Jonathan from Barcelona (which is not (yet) a part of the USA).

you know how i feel now?
i hear one of these jehovah witnesses
knocking on my door
asking hey what are you watching?
and then start to tell me what is this show's agenda
what the creators wanted to achieve
and then start telling me if i disagree then i am one of them
and i will probably end up in hell :messenger_dizzy:
Yeah, because I obviously forced you to enter in the thread. And I also I'm forcing you to give your opinion, which is basically "I'm above you people, because I don't see any agenda!".

i can understand that you see these weird things
statements agendas whatever
and i am even fine with you expressing that (in politics subforum)
i feel like it is completly fine if you boycot these shows or games
you have to do what you have to do
but stop telling me what the creators had in mind
and what i am if i have different reaction that you
let me judge all of it for myself
thanks
Sorry, I will stop my mind control machine right now, I swear.

And I'm sorry I made this thread for you and you only.

Dec 3, 2018
Sorry, I will stop my mind control machine right now, I swear.

And I'm sorry I made this thread for you and you only.
thanks
i am so happy that you understand that i come here to discuss games and movies and stuff like that
without sjw and alt right bs
happy to hear that you will keep your preaching in the politics subforums
so i won't have to avoid threads about things that i am interested in

Jan 21, 2018
Republic of Catalonia
thanks
i am so happy that you understand that i come here to discuss games and movies and stuff like that
without sjw and alt right bs
happy to hear that you will keep your preaching in the politics subforums
so i won't have to avoid threads about things that i am interested in
Sorry, next time I would put a title in the thread that makes it clear of what is about, so you don't have to suffer all this hell.

Jan 21, 2018
Republic of Catalonia
Anybody can be a bad guy.
I'd hate to see artists constrained to making antagonists whatever the most likely real-world antagonist would be.
Well, obviously anybody can be a bad guy and is totally licit to choose whoever you want to choose. But if you do it just because you have a political agenda, people are free to call you out on your dishonest propaganda and hipocrisy.

And the very fact that they are using the term alt-right, already shows their own political agenda. Which is a very common agenda on that platform.