• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Queen is back. Polygon: The Anita Sarkeesian Story, 10 Years of Feminist Frequency

ROMhack

I thought her first couple videos were okay. Simplistic, but okay. Then she started get hired by AAA game studios. There are plenty of female artists and designers with actual skills looking to for a way to break into the industry, but they hired her for what purpose exactly? Shit like that pisses me off.

That's what big businesses do. I had a conversation with a colleague not too long ago who expressed dismay at how often consultants get called in to give advice. He was describing upper-management as seeing them as a cheap solution when hiring competent people would lead to the same changes, and probably better ones.

Therein lies the issue. Businesses would rather hire consultants on a flat day rate than get good people on the salary role.

Last edited:

angelic

Banned
Anita's consultancy work:

ox89ay8dtksy.gif

CJY

Banned
Genuine question: Is anita a trans woman? biologically male? Is that what the "queen" in the title refers to?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Genuine question: Is anita a trans woman? biologically male? Is that what the "queen" in the title refers to?
She's not a man, just hideous. The Queen moniker comes from her narcissism and from how the games media bow down to her bullshit.

Fuz

Banned
You really all need to stop clicking on these sites, They do these posts to get the traffic but that traffic is not from people that agree with it (because if that was the case it would not pay the bills)
They really on you lot to pay the bills and do this on purpose, not for SJW reasons or anything but just to get clicks.

They are the worst as they truly do not believe what they type but they need the hate hits.
Didn't click because I don't care for the article, but I AdBlock them. As you all should.

GhostOfTsu

Banned

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I enjoyed her videos tbh. Did she stretch stuff now and then to make a point? Yeah like everyone does. You see the big nean sign saying “feminist”? That means she is going at the subject matter with an angle. It’s a pretty academic one too. At least she is an actual woman not some guy in a wig

I dunno. She has as much right to talk about games as the EA CEO or Todd Howard or Jim Sterling. Personally I don’t think she is all that bad but the amount of hate she generates is commendable.

If people didn’t hate her so much she wouldn’t have as big a career, so that’s on them talking endlessly about her. Much like the media with Trump, you are only making them more appealing, while cluelessly attempting the opposite

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I thought her first couple videos were okay. Simplistic, but okay. Then she started get hired by AAA game studios. There are plenty of female artists and designers with actual skills looking to for a way to break into the industry, but they hired her for what purpose exactly? Shit like that pisses me off.

Do you think instead of artists & designers they hired her and just didn’t have artists? Lol wut

You realise they can hire more than one person? They can even hire more than one woman

Last edited:

ROMhack

Multiple Anita threads deserve multiple examples. So I am posting this again:

D9eHl6YWsAAmSCI

Cross-posted from the Clown World thread:

B0UebPO.png

Source

And:

ja4LrSw.png

Source
D9UmQfhWsAA-oLV

D9UmS0oXkAAFOft

I don't read Polygon.
But I'm sure their neutral and thorough, non-partisan, professionally written, highly ethical and dripping-with-journalistic-integrity article covers these items in great detail.

They're fucking mental.

Saruhashi

Banned
The timing of all this just seems odd.

During E3 she was complaining because EA will donate 1 million to non-profits working to end bullying etc.
Just not her non-profit.

Then after E3 she is touting herself as a potential consultant for CD Projekt Red.
Some see this as a threat but either way she is publicly offering her services to them, which is odd.

Then after all that there is this article which seem pretty large by Polygon's standards?

I mean, it's basically a massive advert for Anita Sarkeesian on a videogame website.
Well presented and well laid out.
Do they even put this much effort in for actual games?

It's kind of shitty when you think about it.
Try to have a discussion about women in the gaming industry and most people won't really be able to name too many names.
The most prominent ones always seem to be Zoe Quinn, Brianna Wu and Anita Sarkeesian.
None of those 3 are particularly accomplished in the industry though, beyond being famous for being involved in divisive controversies.

Surely developers already have at least some members of staff who are involved in the design and story writing process that can give a female perspective?

I can understand from Polygon's perspective that this can get a lot of clicks from people who are annoyed and Anita has previously tried to leverage harassment into income but I don't see how either of those things help the cause of women in gaming?

Surely it would have been better for Polygon to write this kind of article about actual developers etc?

Or is there some ulterior motive here?

I can't help but feel this all coincides with the drama over Cyberpunk 2077 and the idea that if your game were to have a particular Feminist consultant on board then it might not be "dragged" by The Internet.

Zimmy68

I wonder what her comments would be on the wonderful RE2 Claire mods on YouTube which have been very entertaining.

Saruhashi

Banned
Yes, sadly.

Why though?

I can't imagine there would be any kind of benefit to anyone from this other than for Anita herself.
As in, maybe she could send the link to potential employers as "if you would like to consider my consultancy services then this is what Polygon says about me".

It reads like a glorified resume.

All of the big players who, years ago now, would have taken this article and gone through it in a 50 minute Youtube response have all moved on.
I doubt they will get an avalanche of "hate" or even clicks.

The only thing we know for sure is that she has been complaining about struggling for funding AND touting herself for a consultancy role on one of the biggest upcoming games. Then this article happens to come out.

It's all pretty strange.

Kazza

My very first thought. She's asking for money pretty much everywhere.

s2Z5Eoe.jpg

D8kO_DzUYAAv5Z1.png

It's time to find a real job, anita.

That's "The Vagina Monologues" iirc.

It sounds like she's running some kind of protection racket. Just like the mafia would come to your restaurant and say "Nice place you have here, it would be a shame if anything were to happen to it. We can make sure nothing bad happens - for a fee."

Anita's like:
"Nice game you have there, CDProjektRed. It would be a shame if a mob of online crazies were to attack/smear/try to get it banned. I can help keep the mob off your back - for a consulting fee, of course."

Fuz

Banned
Question.

Months ago I've read an article that stated she was raising - iirc - 30k $ each month with her patreon. I wanted to go and check, but I can't find it anymore. Did I just imagined it? Anyone able to help me find it?

HotPocket69

Banned
Question.

Months ago I've read an article that stated she was raising - iirc - 30k $ each month with her patreon. I wanted to go and check, but I can't find it anymore. Did I just imagined it? Anyone able to help me find it?

I thought it was 30k a year

SonGoku

My very first thought. She's asking for money pretty much everywhere.

s2Z5Eoe.jpg

D8kO_DzUYAAv5Z1.png

It's time to find a real job, anita.

That's "The Vagina Monologues" iirc.
Before the whole of the internet drags you.
Didn't realize reera was the whole of the internet. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Imagine unironically using the internet army as a threat.

>femfrek non profit
>scammed 150k in ks
Pick one

That 150k running dry it seems gotta stir the pot again for relevance, hopefully nobody bites. Just let this one fade back to obscurity.

Last edited:

Ivellios

Wow this thread on ERA the only person who dared critize her was banned instantly, with someone even saying they tried to bait the poor guy into it. They really believe she changed the industry for the better.

Personally i only heard of her because of threads here in Neogaf. But its obvious she is a scam, she even critisized Mario Odyssey for how it treated Peach as an object, its completely absurd.

Does anyone have a full list of which games she actually worked on as a consultant? From this thread i saw ME: Andromeda, BF5 and Destiny 2, is there more?

manfestival

If people didn’t hate her so much she wouldn’t have as big a career, so that’s on them talking endlessly about her. Much like the media with Trump, you are only making them more appealing, while cluelessly attempting the opposite
This right here. I think the people and their hate fuel her popularity. She probably would've blown off into obscurity if everyone just... ignored her. She posts really stupid stuff or baiting things all the time. Gotta ignore the trolls.

Reactions: Fuz

Kenpachii

"Sarkeesian’s home life was a blend of Armenian and Arabic culture. When she started school, she could barely speak English.
“I spoke Armenian. My parents were like, ‘You’ll learn English at school.’ So all of these kids made fun of me. I came home.
I said, ‘I’m never speaking Armenian again.’ And I never did. It became a tension where I needed to become more like these [Canadian school friends]. I wanted to fit in.
“I struggle a lot with my own racial identity because I very much pass for white. I have a lot of white privilege. But my whole life, I’ve also gotten a lot of dumb, ‘Oh, you’re so exotic looking.’ I’ve been asked if I’m this race or that. I’m like this weird, ethnically ambiguous thing. But my family is Middle Eastern and I grew up in a city that was very, very white. My home life was such stark contrast to my friends’ home lives.”

This woman makes me so ashamed to be an Armenian, my childhood upbringing is somewhat close to hers, I too come from Armenian parents that migrated from the Mid East, I am also around the same age as her, I also moved to Toronto, Canada. Only difference is I am an actual Armenian immigrant, I didn't have her privilege to be born in Canada (in a cozy Western society) And boy was grade 5,6 and 7 ever hard for a non English speaking, "different" fish out of water , immigrant kid in Toronto in the mid nineties. Bullying was rife, and the order of the day at the time in Canadian junior high schools. I can also pass off as "white" (more Jewish or Italian white, basically I can pass off to be this chick's cousin) Still I struggled a lot to adapting and fitting in.

Got picked on a lot for having a weird accent, having an "afro" .. but none of those made me disown my own culture, or abandon my language (mother tongue) I just strove to become better and learn this (new) culture, language and the world around me without totally losing or abandoning my ethnicity. Fuck this woman!

Basically she got scarred by being bullied and now tries to lash out when she got older feminism because obviously her old school mates couldn't give a shit about her at shit point.

I just see a deeply scared woman that has a lot of hate in her because of the way she scams people out of money that she owns them. She basically also created a victim complex as result out of this in order to validate that behavior and probably surrounds herself with equal minded people to further her psychological problems.

In other words she needs therapy and some new hobby's that involves lots of white males

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
They are trying very hard to make her popular again aren't they.
No, she's the monkey the press are bringing to the knife fight when Cyberpunk 2077 is a breakout hit so they can get those SJW clicks under the guise of "balanced reporting".

-MD-

Did she really consult on BFV lol? It makes total sense and that game got DRAGGED because of the marketing behind it.

Se_7_eN

You might not agree with her, and she could only be targeting the game industry because its easy... But, the threats on her life are ridiculous and really point out some shitty people.

Last edited:

Denton

Yes the brave Jessice Price was fired for speaking out. Totally not for acting like arrogant cunt to a partner and customer in public.
I like how they still keep lying and think anyone other than total morons buys into their narrative.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Wow this thread on ERA the only person who dared critize her was banned instantly, with someone even saying they tried to bait the poor guy into it. They really believe she changed the industry for the better.

Personally i only heard of her because of threads here in Neogaf. But its obvious she is a scam, she even critisized Mario Odyssey for how it treated Peach as an object, its completely absurd.

Does anyone have a full list of which games she actually worked on as a consultant? From this thread i saw ME: Andromeda, BF5 and Destiny 2, is there more?

Destiny 2 is the first time I hear about it? In the AAA space there is Arkane games (for Dishonored 2 and Prey - both games bombed, not directly because of her but it didn't help) we know because there was interview about it and Bioware games (Andromeda and Anthem) there are pictures of her with the staff. The rest is indie shit no one cared about.

BFV we don't know for sure but her stuff probably influenced all the bad decisions they made.

By now all developers should stay away from her. She is so toxic, it's not worth the backlash.

It feels good seeing FemFreq struggle and beg for money. It shows she had zero positive impact, everything is negative and GG related.

Top Bottom