• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[The Rare Canceled Game Art Thread]

Shiggy

Last month, this post appeared on 4Chan.

rareep92.jpg

Initially, I did not intend to create a topic based on this post. After all, it was 4Chan, therefore nobody believed it, not even I.

But then some things have happened earlier this month. Animators and artists who had been there for five years or more started to depart, including art director Steven Crow, concept artist Ryan Firchau (the guy who made the famous butcher ;D) and apparently even Chris Seavor who hadn't directed anything since the Kinect change (his last known project was PD Core in early 2008).

We already knew (by taking a look at the credits of Kinect Sports) that many veterans had left, but this seems to be the next wave. For Sports they contracted some former artists and animators, is that what they want to rely on entirely? One example: Dean Smith, at Rare since 1992, is only a contact artist as of this month.

I cannot say much about the truth of rest of that post up there, but is it only a coincidence that long-term staff either left this month or was contracted by Rare? Microsoft manager Scott Henson replaced Mark Betteridge as studio head of Rare Ltd.; he puts a remarkable emphasis on the importance of Kinect:
"Kinect will be a key part of the studio's future," he said. "I'm not suggesting it's going to be exclusive, but it will be the centrepiece of our strategy for sure, because there is a lot of opportunity there."

I could see Rare's future as concentrating on casual Avatar titles and hiring cheap graduates to produce assets for Avatars. They took quite a few steps into this direction by opening their new studio.

We'll have to see what will become of Rare. One thing for certain, they won't keep on prototyping without results anymore - that's what Microsoft had tried to change since 2009. What's more important, Microsoft needs to get an idea what they want to do with Rare: Obviously, they don't want them to work on titles for the hardcore crowd (PD or Banjo), as these departures and messages from former employees indicate. Then again, Rare worked on a fitness training game which was canned because Kinect was already flooded by them.

Rumour has it that there'll be more redundancies in March - who knows at this point...
What's next? Kinect Dance? Kinect Golf? I only expect something like Kinect Fashion where Avatars walk on a catwalk. Wouldn't mind a Kinectdogs though ;)

Part of Rare's charm was their artistic designs in games. This is totally sad to hear and a little odd, considering how fun and well Kinect Sports played.

Viva Pinata, Viva Pinata 2, and Kinect Sports were all good actually. I'm surprised they were able to keep their level of quality up. I guess this means we won't be seeing any big surprises from them after all.

I get the feeling that, if Kinect Sports 2 works out, they will be tasked with making a straight up Kinect Kart racing game, a 2D platformer, and a party game.

DSN2K

they had a good thing with Nintendo, they should have tried to work out whatever the issues were and supported their platforms. I'm 100% sure the games they put out on the xbox would have been a success on a Nintendo console.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Guevara said:
Rare cutting their art staff?

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
Kameo and her sister were well designed characters.. especially for Rare.

But yeaaaah, it's probably better to just wish the staff good luck on their future endeavors and move on silently.

Darklord said:
This generation is going to kill the industry.
Yeah, probably.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
the worst part about that cartoon is the text labels

i'm sorry but if you can't figure out that the boot is kinect and the candy represents the creative values rare was known for, you're an idiot and i don't care if you understand the cartoon or not.

it's the same problem with 99% of all political cartoons. you don't need to hold my hand through the joke. i get it. it's not funny anymore since you've explained every little detail to me. let me figure it out myself.

Stumpokapow said:

i'm sorry but if you can't figure out that the boot is kinect and the candy represents the creative values rare was known for, you're an idiot and i don't care if you understand the cartoon or not.

it's the same problem with 99% of all political cartoons. you don't need to hold my hand through the joke. i get it. it's not funny anymore since you've explained every little detail to me. let me figure it out myself.
It's been a long time since the days of "Ograbme".

The UK games industry has been taking some hits recently. Sorry to anyone who lost their job.

As far as I know, a good few developers outsource their art assets. I guess it must be a good bit cheaper.

Gravijah

Stumpokapow said:

let's not forget the M$ label ;p

jett

D-Member
Who will do the random anthropomorphizing now?

Seriously though, I feel sorry for RARE. There was a time, a really long time ago, when they were a quality studio.

[Nintex]

You know your studio is totally fucked when lead game designers have this as Twitter bio's:
Bio Anyone fancy letting me design a game for them ? Rare don't seem that bothered.........

Microsoft Game Studios is so fucking worthless at this point. Oh and once all the cancelled stuff leaks some of you guys will think: "WTF why did they cancel 'insert sequel to your favorite Rare franchise here' or 'insert new original core oriented IP here'.

Stumpokapow said:

The worst part about that cartoon is that one of Rare's own artists who worked on Nuts & Bolts and other things made it.

MS PR tried to downplay this whole thing but the cat is out of the bag now.

FoneBone

Stumpokapow said:

2cfyv15.png

Stumpokapow said:

To be honest I wouldn't have thought the boot was Kinect without the text, I would have assumed it was a generic MS jackboot.

I hope everyone good leaves Rare and forms another company. Maybe join up with some ex-Rare staff already out there and pump out what us fans actually want from them instead of this Kinect crap.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Stumpokapow said:

To it's credit, at least they were more subtle with the labeling. Get rid of the labeling from the sock and the candy, and it would be a pretty good cartoon.

AniHawk

Stumpokapow said:

it's like those 'motivational posters' that explain the joke that's being told in the picture. infuriating.

If Microsoft really wants rare as its kinect/avatar studio I'm sure the typical consumer for those sort of stuff don't give a shit that rare make then, so why don't they just sell the name and ips to someone who could make far better use of them

Lijik

Stumpokapow said:
20090403.gif

Hopefully everything goes well for Rare. However, this:

And going by the success of Kinect Sports 1, and the unwanted, unmarketable, bandwagon-jumping bit of crap that is the Kinect in general, it's pretty clear at this point that Rare is fucked.

sounds totally in line with reality.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ravidrath said:
Please break their hands on the way out, so they can "art" no more.
Talk about kicking tem when their down.

[Nintex] said:
You know your studio is totally fucked when lead game designers have this as Twitter bio's:
WOW.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cerebral Assassin said:
To be honest I wouldn't have thought the boot was Kinect without the text, I would have assumed it was a generic MS jackboot.

but the viva pinata pinatas are used as the symbol of creativity, so it's clearly not some n64-throwback "rare sux when ms bought them" screed, it's pretty clearly implying some new management or direction. whether that's kinect or avatars or just casualization in general, i think the meaning is conveyed better without the labels.

frankie_baby said:
If Microsoft really wants rare as its kinect/avatar studio I'm sure the typical consumer for those sort of stuff don't give a shit that rare make then, so why don't they just sell the name and ips to someone who could make far better use of them

I don't think a lot of the IP's are relevant or popular enough nowadays. Perfect Dark was thrown into obsurity and left with a bad taste, Viva Pinata failed to perform, Banjo and Conker are faded icons.

Only games I could see succeeding are nostalgia HD remakes of Battletoads and KI. Microsoft screwed Rare in the end and they also screwed themselves a bit with Nuts and Bolts. Rare could of been the creative team to Microsoft to what the team Shadow of the Colossus team is to Sony in terms of big budget, creative titles.

Momo

Banned
I'm really baffled by MS. One would think when they bought rare for all that money they had a clear, solid, long term plan for them and would be willing to stick it out till it bore fruit.

ElFly

"Creativity" was written on three candies.

The guy who drew that worked at Rare as an artist? Cause that's pretty telling.

I AM JOHN! said:
I blame every single one of you who didn't buy Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts for this.

I wonder if N&B wouldn't have worked better as a Halo spinoff. Halo fans seem pretty attached to vehicle based antics.

apana

I AM JOHN! said:
I blame every single one of you who didn't buy Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts for this.

SMH, making a non-banjo kazooie game doesn't inspire banjo fans to buy it.

Suzzopher

The British gaming industry is in a desperate state right now. I am glad to no longer have that worry on my shoulders, but worried about the many friends I have left in the industry.

Stumpokapow said:
but the viva pinata pinatas are used as the symbol of creativity, so it's clearly not some n64-throwback "rare sux when ms bought them" screed, it's pretty clearly implying some new management or direction. whether that's kinect or avatars or just casualization in general, i think the meaning is conveyed better without the labels.

Oh, I wasn't implying it was(or could be) a throwback cartoon from the buyout days but I do think it is slightly harsh to say that Kinect is crushing creativity( especially on the 360). Maybe its because I haven't bought(or even wanted to buy) a Rare game since Perfect Dark.

temp

posting on contract only
Wait, I don't get it. Is the boot Kinect or is the boot Microsoft? And why's management a sock?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I AM JOHN! said:

I bought it. It wasn't great.

Kafel

Banned
Kinect is probably the best thing that happened to modern Rare though.

I mean nostalgia is nice and all but it's Rare that became inept these last years. They had a lot of chances and they always failed by themselves. I mean, they've put their "creativity" in the last Banjo to fuck it up according to most gaffers.

pirata

Once upon a time, Rare was my favorite studio. I grew up with their games. This is very, very painful for me. Hopefully, they find new jobs soon where they can actually make things that they want to make.

and fuck Microsoft

Top Bottom