• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the Rayman Legends devs aren't happy with the delay. WiiU version done?

VICI0US

sad, very inconsiderate to both the developers and wii-u owners who were expecting the game to release in a couple weeks.

porting the game is perfectly fine but they could have done so in a much more reasonable way. absolutely no reason to delay the completed wii-u version.

This reminds me of that time several years ago when someone at Ubi admitted that they were releasing pure shit shovelware on the Wii, and that they were doing it for quick cash to develop PS3/360 games that had no chance of being ported to the Wii.

Basically, Ubi has been a douchebag for quite some time.

Metallix87

This reminds me of that time several years ago when someone at Ubi admitted that they were releasing pure shit shovelware on the Wii, and that they were doing it for quick cash to develop PS3/360 games that had no chance of being ported to the Wii.

Well yeah, that much has been obvious for years.

It's not my job to pity the developers, grow some balls and stand up to the higher ups within the publisher. Don't cry to us, I'm not their friend They want my money? Well, they ain't getting it now. Simple as that.

Wow, that's a really quick & excellent way to lose your livelihood.

Gadirok

Yeah, releasing ZombiU exclusive to the wii-U was a real douche move.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Not buying the game doesn't give the message that it's not okay to delay the game; it gives the impression that you don't want more games like it full stop. I guess the best way to respond is to directly contact Ubisoft to voice your disapproval rather than punish the hardworking devs with a game bombing.

Kimawolf

Nobody buys the game = Ubisoft shrugging and saying "Oh, nobody wants 2D games, platformers, or anything but Asscreed after all. Good to know. We won't bother making any more of that stuff."

Maybe it's fucked, but that's the industry.

Well what we need is a journalist to ask them point blank about this direct quote and see what they say, someone to explain and ask them if they realize they are sending Rayman out to die, and see what they say in response. This way at least they know when the game dies, it isn't because of "fans".

Delaying the game is certainly not going to make it sell better on the WiiU. I'll (hopefully) be playing games like Pikmin, Woderful 101, and Wind Waker this fall, and either Mario Kart or a new 3D Mario games will likely be right around the corner. Rayman Legends went from being a game that I was going to buy no matter what to a game that I'll probably buy eventually.

Moreover, I don't expect the game to break any records on the PS3 or 360, and launching against GTA5 doesn't sound like a good plan. That being said, I understand why they would want to release the game on other platforms. I just don't feel that artifically delaying the release of the WiiU game is going to help the 360 or PS3 sales.

They sould have released the game on the WiiU, taken advantage of the drought, potentially gained some positive momentum for the game based on reviews and word-of-mouth, and then released the game on other consoles.

I predict that this game tanks.

Doesn't advertising cost money. These days, advertising whenever I hear about it seems to cost as much if not more than the actual development cost of the game. I'd rather see this sort of focused effort rather than seeing a publisher split the cost and not push either release well or focus on one platform and let the other die since all these little failures does a disservice to the success of the game.

PopeReal

If this post is true, I am sorry for the team. At the very least it is true that the game is done. How would this of hurt Ubi by releasing it on Wii U then announcing after that it will come to other platforms later?

Eusis

This actually makes me legitimately angry, unlike JUST the news it'd be going multiplatform and delayed. If they had serious difficulties, OK, or if it's something they felt was for the best then fine. But really, if they were going to do this they should've just released the fucking thing this month or next, then released it at a modest discount and maybe with some extra stages (that'd hopefully be added to Wii U via DLC!) in September.

lvclix

Banned
After the difficulty spike from the last world in origins to the other 90% of the game, I'm going to stay far, far away from anything Rayman. Just thinking about that last sequence of the final boss is mildly enraging.

You guys act like Ubisoft has never done anything at the expense of customers for potential sales before...

May I remind the public of Ubisofts exclusive PC DRM.

Delaying the game is certainly not going to make it sell better on the WiiU. I'll (hopefully) be playing games like Pikmin, Woderful 101, and Wind Waker this fall, and either Mario Kart or a new 3D Mario games will likely be right around the corner. Rayman Legends went from being a game that I was going to buy no matter what to a game that I'll probably buy eventually.

Moreover, I don't expect the game to break any records on the PS3 or 360, and launching against GTA5 doesn't sound like a good plan. That being said, I understand why they would want to release the game on other platforms. I just don't feel that artifically delaying the release of the WiiU game is going to help the 360 or PS3 sales.

They sould have released the game on the WiiU, taken advantage of the drought, potentially gained some positive momentum for the game based on reviews and word-of-mouth, and then released the game on other consoles.

agreed.

maybe we can start some anti-ubisoft campaign to try to get the Wii U version released...

it's worth a shot.

This actually makes me legitimately angry, unlike JUST the news it'd be going multiplatform and delayed. If they had serious difficulties, OK, or if it's something they felt was for the best then fine. But really, if they were going to do this they should've just released the fucking thing this month or next, then released it at a modest discount and maybe with some extra stages (that'd hopefully be added to Wii U via DLC!) in September.

Yeah, there were so many better ways this could've been handled.

Arxisz

If that post is real then I think people should give them another chance, I mean how angry and wronged would they have felt to go as far as to say that the industry they work in is really that shitty?

I'm torn now. I want to buy the game so the devs didn't bust their asses for nothing, but I also don't want to reward Ubisoft for such a shitty move.

Ydahs

If this is true, I wonder if the media would risk their relations with Ubisoft by spreading this news.

I hope the developer in question doesn't get any repercussions as a result of this.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Well it's going to tank on WiiU now isn't it. At the moment there isn't that much content for WiiU so a Feb 26th release date would have been very welcome and I'm sure the attach rate would have been fairly high.

But release in Sept. When I've got other games to pick. Er... No thanks.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I wouldn't even call this shady, just seems like a business decision to be able to launch all platforms together and put all the marketing into one launch. Unless I missed something (besides just the disappointment of having to wait) I'm not sure the "BOYCOTT UBI!" outcries are necessary.

Just my two cents.

Also what Ubi team is developing it?

Gleethor

Doesn't advertising cost money. These days, advertising whenever I hear about it seems to cost as much if not more than the actual development cost of the game. I'd rather see this sort of focused effort rather than seeing a publisher split the cost and not push either release well or focus on one platform and let the other die since all these little failures does a disservice to the success of the game.

Fair enough, but ubi and nintendo already have hundreds of kiosks out at retail that have one and only one playable demo and its this game, and now it won't be out for 7 months.

PopeReal

For us, this means we've spent 6 months barely seeing our wifes, kids, and friends for nothing because, after all, such a haste wasn't needed. Believe it, it was a hell to swallow these news.

This is the worst part. Punish your dev team for no reason.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow. Just...wow.

Poor dev team :(

Sandfox

Pretty crazy. I hate to sound like a broken record but the Wii U truly is screwed when it comes to third party games.

Ubisoft is still making 3rd party games for the Wii U and as they said themselves, 3rd party exclusives are disappearing in general(in the west at least). I'm honestly more interested in Japanese support tbqh.

Ydahs

Maybe the extra delay can give them time to implement NFC figurines, like we saw in that pitch video months ago?

It'll certainly attract to a certain demographic and can make the WiiU version distinct enough to still sell well.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I wouldn't even call this shady, just seems like a business decision to be able to launch all platforms together and put all the marketing into one launch. Unless I missed something (besides just the disappointment of having to wait) I'm not sure the "BOYCOTT UBI!" outcries are necessary.

Just my two cents.

Ubisoft can do whatever they want- but if the game truly is done, changing the release date less than 3 weeks before it was due isn't very consumer friendly.

Well it's going to tank on WiiU now isn't it. At the moment there isn't that much content for WiiU so a Feb 26th release date would have been very welcome and I'm sure the attach rate would have been fairly high.

But release in Sept. When I've got other games to pick. Er... No thanks.

You're delusional if you think this game would have sold any better in February.

I'll like to change my previous statement on the decision to delay the WiiU version specifically due to porting the game. It's not a mistake: it's batshit insanity. Release the game (as it's done), then use the intervening time to adapt and (where necessary) improve the game for the PS360PCVita3DS versions. Instead, they're sending it to die instead of releasing a version in the (relatively) safe harbour of February. It's going to get crushed, the developers know it, but the salarymen are delusional and thinks releasing it just before GTA5 will improve sales.

I don't get their reasoning behind sitting on the Wii U version.

Do they seriously think that waiting til there's a higher userbase in the fall will let them sell more copies of it at $60 or something?

Raptomex

Whoever is responsible for this is really stupid. Releasing it the same month as GTA V is just not a good idea.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
You're delusional if you think this game would have sold any better in February.

It was never going to sell a ton, but I think it was positioned reasonably well as the first decent Wii U game to come out in over 3 months and I think it could have sold more than they will in September when (presumably!) Wii U will have a healthier game library.

Wiz

Pretty much confirms what many people thought. The game was done and ready to be released in Feb.

Bunch of bs from Ubisoft.

ohlawd

said it before in the other thread.

but those poor devs :/

For practical matters, you'll have to wait for some months for the game to be released and will most likely serve for more content to be added and do it better. For us, this means we've spent 6 months barely seeing our wifes, kids, and friends for nothing because, after all, such a haste wasn't needed. Believe it, it was a hell to swallow these news.

feels bad reading this...

Alcibiades

The danger for Ubisoft is not people boycotting the game, but the increased competition in September. Q1 is pretty dull especially on the Wii U. But by September there will be a greater amount of games out and all the attention will be on Nintendo titles, Madden, GTA 5, etc...

I think some people willing to pay full price now will be doing that for other titles this fall while waiting for this to hit $20.

Top Bottom