• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Revenant is one of the best films ever created.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
And even though it got nominated for 12 awards at The Oscars, I still feel it was slept on.

At its core, it's a simple story of revenge. Hugh Glass gets left for dead, and he's out for revenge. But goddamn is it ever visceral, intense and gritty. Mesmerizing as a whole, brutal and simply masterful in every aspect. Not to mention the motherfucking cinematography in this thing, good lord. All natural light. So impressive. So beautiful.

I don't have much else to say, just that of the thousands of movies I've seen in my lifetime, this is up there with the absolute best of the best.

It was an absolute privilege to see it in IMAX when it first released, and I just bought it through Apple TV and watched it in 4K HDR on a big ass OLED. Holy fuck.

What a masterpiece. I gave it a standing ovation in my own damn bedroom.

that is all.

autoduelist

Everyone go watch The Outlaw Josey Wales now.

Not that it has anything to do with The Revenant, but it was the first thing I thought of and I think anyone who appreciates one will love the other.

DonJorginho

Banned
One of the greatest films ever, a truly beautiful, heart wrenching, groundbreaking, philosophical tale.

Leonardo killed it, hell everyone did.

This film would be a masterpiece even without the Bear scene but that just elevates the film to an 11/10.

Last edited:
M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah that part where Leo had angry blood sex with that bear.

By FAR the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in cinema!!

And that part where he molested that dead horse. Wow! Just WOW!

The bestiality in this movie was top notch!

Last edited by a moderator:

JoduanER2

It is magnificent. I would say underrated even. It is a visual feast, and a once in a lifetime movie, because of all the hard work it requires making a movie the way it was made, natural lighting, filming in the wilderness with harsh weather. It is a very beatiful movie.

Last edited:
I watched it a month ago and was very impressed. Brisk pacing, great sense of tension from start to finish, the landscapes are breathtaking, and great acting of course. The finale was very satisfying too.

NeoGiffer

I liked the part where Leo punched a bear in the dick.

giphy.gif

Fbh

Watched it on a plane, so no the best way to watch any movie.

It was ok but it didn't really blow me away. It's 2 hours of Leo grunting and suffering

ZehDon

It's a movie I need to be in the right state of mind for, but when I am, I absolutely love the hell of it. It's not a super re-watchable film that you can just throw on, but something I think you come back to every couple of years or so and really appreciate everything about it.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
It's a very good film. Maybe Inarritu's best. I really liked Babel, but The Revenant has a brutal, straightforward momentum that I just loved.

Kacho

Gold Member
While the cinematography was incredible, this movie bored me to tears. I'll never sit through it again.

Loved it. Though I agree with Kadayi that Dicaprio didn't look the part. He simply wasn't meant for tough guy, or athlete roles. Basketball Diaries was fucking shameful.

Muh pelts

I liked it a lot but The Grey does everything better.
Also that movie with Anthony Hopkins and the black dude who replaced that one guy in the Matrix sequels where they make a compass out of a needle and a leaf or something and Hopkins calls the bear a motherfucker. The Edge, I think. Loved that movie in the 90s.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I loved it. Really engrossing and looks incredible in 4K HDR.

Kumomeme

it have lot deep message..including racism

my favourite scene is where the indian guy helped leonardo...the moment that he said "me too" with compassion once he heard leonardo pleas of how he get betrayed by his own people ( that indian had family killed by whitemen and yet he didnt ever discriminate leonardo as white people..he basically have right to just brutally kill or just let leonardo die but he end up going all the way looking out for him)..but later that guy end up get brutally killed by another whitemen

strong message here..your own people betrayed you but in the end, of all people, it was other people with different skin colour, that become victim of our own people is the one end up saving your life.

and i like how leonardo crawling all the way just for revenge..he basically had nothing left in the world but the revenge become his strength..and his son killer (forgot the name) get satisfying end and end of the movie

also had message of how can nature be cruel..man just part of ecosystem..with the heavy storm and how he got attacked by bear..and yet end up human is the one far more cruel there

beautiful movie too for me..lot of great cinematography/visual

Last edited:

TDiddyLive

It was the worst of the Leo best actor nominated films. They gave it to him for this one to cover his career of work.

Mista

Banned
Everything about it was fucking good. People saying they made this just to force an oscars award to be given to Leo can kiss my hairy ass

Last edited:

Salz01

It is a really good film. I remember him saying it was the hardest film he ever made and will never do anything like it again. You can see on screen how hard it was. The film is epic.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Great cast besides Leo. Domhnall Gleeson and Tom Hardy both gave great performances

JimiNutz

Banned
It's a great movie and I appreciate that this makes me sound like I'm really nitpicking but I just found the idea of anyone surviving what he went through so incredibly unrealistic that it kind of took me out of the movie.

It wasn't just the brutality of the bear attack, it was everything that came afterwards as well. It just seemed impossible that anyone would survive that and I struggled to suspend my disbelief.

I still enjoyed it though and it's a beautiful looking movie too.

I watched it twice. The camera work of first 30 minutes are so are pretty great. But I remember feeling disappointed with parts of the middle of the movie up until the pursuit at the end. The worst scene is where he rides off the cliff on the horse. It's trash. I will probably watch it again though in a few years. I do love the fade to credits at the end with the breathing after he sees his wife.

Top Bottom