• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The River | OT | Season 1 | From the makers Paranormal Activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apoc29

So we got a doctor, hot blonde love interest, concerned mother, gruff weapons expert, single father and child, token black guy, money-grubbing producer guy...any other archetypes?

Hey guys I know a ghost just killed our cameraman 3 days ago, but I find it really hard to believe that there is a forest spirit that wants my teddy bear. Derp

Ehh..I'm not sure if I'll continue to watch. Pretty cool concept but it just seems too silly. The Son is really annoying and I think the whole camera view thing will get old. Possessed chick is kinda cute though.

Well for the after show... naw just kidding but
I have a friend trying to win a contest to be on a reality show for gamers.
A simple view can help him win. Please help, the clip is short.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7sAA5kn3Ps

who-gives-a-shit-harrison-ford.gif

trilobyte

I can't get into this

The story is a little interesting, but the horror/scary part just isn't clicking....I think it has a lot to do with the fact that it's on network TV. Every 10min it cuts to a loud obnoxious commercial.

Films of this nature really require an immersive experience, to put you in almost a hypnosis to block all your surroundings so you are in the moment -- cutting to commercial every 10min simply just jolts you back to reality and you never really get hooked

I can't get into this

The story is a little interesting, but the horror/scary part just isn't clicking....I think it has a lot to do with the fact that it's on network TV. Every 10min it cuts to a loud obnoxious commercial.

Films of this nature really require an immersive experience, to put you in almost a hypnosis to block all your surroundings so you are in the moment -- cutting to commercial every 10min simply just jolts you back to reality and you never really get hooked

I felt that as well. This type of stuff is not suitable for network TV. They should've at least gone with premium channels like HBO or Starz. Not only an uninterrupted show, but also R rated stuff for a good measure.

KamenSenshi

Minus some unevenness this could fill my Lost void. About as good as I hoped it would be but not as bad as I feared it could be. As long as they do wrap this up in one season all should be well, but trying to stretch it would be terrible.

legacyzero

Banned
Minus some unevenness this could fill my Lost void. About as good as I hoped it would be but not as bad as I feared it could be. As long as they do wrap this up in one season all should be well, but trying to stretch it would be terrible.
This is pretty much how I feel. Hard to top LOST, but it does a good enough job. They really need to work on the script though. A bit cheesy.

My main problem is I have to turn off the Tru Motion on my new LED TV. Makes it look like daytime TV lol

The music is killing it for me. I want to be able to suspend my disbelief and think that I'm watching naked found footage, but the music and editing and illogical camera placements are taking me out of it. I realize that the PA films also have some convenient camera placement, but nothing on par with stuff like
the shot of the mom coming out of the grave

I semi-expected it, but it's really working against the atmosphere and creepiness for me.

it was just ok. the characters are really 1 dimensional and I don't give a shit about any of them, so that sucks any tension or danger out of the equation. they are definitely way too level headed in regards to all the crazy paranormal shit that's happening, too. the 2 hour premiere overstayed its welcome but I think 1 hour episodes will be much more tolerable. Glad to know it's only 8 episodes so there's a definite ending, rather than other shows that get canceled and they never finish the story.

I think overall the premise is silly (if my dad went through the trouble of possessing a latin american tween just to tell me that the road to his location was paved with unspeakable horrors, I might listen), but there have been some cool wtf moments. This is basically Paranormal Activity: The Series, and judging from the first two episodes they'll be doing a monster of the week format.

Favorite scenes so far were the panic room "explosion" and the mother getting dragged underwater. I'm cautiously optimistic. Will watch next week.

I saw the previews and reallllllly wanted this to suck me in (TO THE WATER) but man, it kinda sucks. Everything so far has just felt too silly. And the characters are boring.

oatmeal

Banned
I watched the first and then about half the second...

Man, I can not stand the actor who plays the son.

Blah, I don't see myself finishing it nor returning for more.

SpacLock

Seems like 90% of you dislike this one. I'm not big into television series at all and I hate watching TV period, but I thought I'd give this one a shot since the early reviews said it reminded them of Lost in a way. Even though I hate the idea of a television series (waiting days for the next episode full of commercials) Lost is one of the few television series I've actually watched and really, really liked.

Anyway, after watching the pilot I think I'm going to stick with this one. Some characters seem neat and others are either boring or bad, but I'll let them develop for another episode or two before I write them off.

Sure, the CG is bad, but it's television. It has a good excuse. Don't forget about the submarine in Lost. Still, let's hope they trim the CG use and try to bring in more traditional effects.

Also, the sound and film editing is superb for what it's trying to be.

Can't comment much on the story because I'm still confused on where they're trying to take it, but so far it's not the worst I've seen and I think that a horror/thriller/documentary style television series seems original enough that it's better than most of the garbage that's been out since Lost, not counting anything from HBO. Well, actually I've seen the first season of Walking Dead and that was excellent.

Well I hope more of you guys decide to give this one another episode or two before bailing so I have some people to discuss it with outside of a few co-workers which may or may not have bailed.

Replicant

I hate Paranormal Activity. Is this show as annoying as that film (many shocked reactions shots and little to no real action)?

TTG

I was waiting for someone to announce that the mother of the possessed girl is actually the chick from predator. It speaks to the main thing I didn't like, none of this stuff is original. We've all seen those characters before and the setting isn't particularly interesting either. I got the feeling that this could of been filmed anywhere, cgi dragonflies alone won't do it.

SpacLock

Is Lost really the only TV show you guys enjoyed? I guess I just don't get that...

I do not speak for everyone when I say that Lost was the last show I enjoyed. Lost was the last show I enjoyed because it's the last show I watched. I very rarely watch television.

Oh, like I mentioned above I caught the first season of Walking Dead on Netflix and enjoyed that too.

Is Lost really the only TV show you guys enjoyed? I guess I just don't get that...

for me its not the only one i enjoyed, but it was the best one i've ever seen. now that its gone it feels like there's i void..i just can't let go :(

that being said, this isn't Lost, but this show is mad awesome. I'm gonna keep watching for sure.

nomis

The second episode was much better than the first. I wasn't scared, but I had a smile on my face when the mom
comes out of the grave

I realize that the PA films also have some convenient camera placement, but nothing on par with stuff like

It's obviously contrived, but at least there WAS a camera dropped there. I'm pretty sure it was the third handheld, the small DV that douchebag editor pulled out on the boat, not either of the two main ones. It was semi-believable, since the guy holding it dropped it to help dig.

pringles

Hmm, I should probably give this a shot.. if only to support the creators of the movie that scared my GF right into my arms on our first 'date' :lol

strafer

It looks like every pilot these days have Lost to measure up too.

Lost is the measuring stone for todays pilots.

Kinda like Halo: CE was to console fps.

Qwomo

you'll be hard-pressed to name a single network television show in the past five years that even approaches Lost in terms of quality

whether or not you like the plot/ending of the show or not, Lost remains the high watermark for what can be accomplished on non-cable television, and thus all network tv is going to be compared against it for a very long while

Downhome

The second hour was way better than the first. I also liked what I saw in the previews, so I'll be sticking with it. I almost gave up after the first hour, but I'm glad I pressed on.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I think the concept of reality getting weirder as they get closer to "the source" is interesting. Hopefully "the source" doesn't become some awful DHARMA shit. The main character acting is pretty shit though.

ultron87

I kind of enjoyed it even though it wasn't particularly scary. Since I'm a total wimp regarding scary movies that is probably why I was able to enjoy it.

I think they did a decent job with the whole fake documentary thing.

strafer

After watching it for a second time I can say I really enjoy it.

Maybe because I'm a sucker for the rainforest who knows.

But, I have a hard time seeing Stephen Saunders like this. :D

Thought it was interesting enough for me to keep watching. The plot and characters are a little thin and somewhat cliche (particularly the girl who only speaks Spanish and has ties to the supernatural goings on around them), but I'll stick with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom