• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Road to PS5: Official Stream

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Cerny just threw the PS4 Pro under the bus when talking about heat and noise.

giphy.gif

Someone send in a PR consulting firm.

He's always been very honest about the shortcomings of past hardware.

treemk

Banned
Bruh it’s not even real BC with all PS4 games immedialty 🤯

Yes it is.

The issue is like with Dark Souls 1 on PC modded to run at 60fps, some ladders break, rolling distance changes, some games can have weird problems with more hardware resources are added and they can be minor or game breaking. So they have to be tested, and then they should be able to either patch the game or throttle the PS5 while that game is running.

Atrus

Gold Member
I'm quite enjoying Cerny explaining the design thought process. He's got the perfect voice to narrate a children's audiobook.

Jonsoncao

Banned
I felt like this is a major development disaster.

Just like many emotionally unstable fanboys here claiming victory after AMD analyst day stream.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Aceofspades

Banned
A lot of PS fanboys owe the GitHub truthers an apology

I do and especially for R R600

But Im really happy with PS5 specs, it seems like Cerny is betting that small and fast design will perform amazing. I also love SSD improvements.

Also difference is smaller than Xbox vs PS4 last gen . So a win win to me .

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So far I've got

Tons of stuff about 3D and RT audio
BC with PS4 games
16gb GDDR6
825gb SSD at 5.5gb bandwidth
CPU at 3.5 ghz
36CUs at 2.23 ghz
10.3TF
Custom RDNA 2
Ray tracing
Always in boost mode
Something about Geometry Engine and some other fancy engine code name (kind of like PS2 EE)

PS5 DOA. All those insiders were basically BS.

Turns out that 9.2tf was closer than all the 12-13tf estimates. Heck, my estimate of 10.6-10.9tf (which was a total guess for fun was actually closer).

I had a hunch PS5 was going to be gimped when he kept going on about SSD for almost half an hr.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
GPU 36CUs @ 2.23Gghz = 10.3TFs.
CPU @ 3.5Ghz

ROPs, TMUs, etc all run at high clock rate.
That is great.

But the number of CUs are too little... so the overall TFs are really bad.

Well that machine can't cost more than $399.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
No backwards compatibility with PS1 - PS3, and limited PS4 back compat has seriously cut my hype for this system.

I was planning on getting both but now I think I'll just play on the Series X next gen. I'll pick one of these up in a few years when it has a good catalog of exclusives available, the price comes down, and they've possibly changed their stance on BC.

He's not wrong! Sony probably would've garnered a much more positive response from the media and potential customers by just doing a flashy reveal of the box, a release date and the price! THEN they could've done this GDC tech presentation a day or so after. It's the first reveal of the system and everyone's eyes are gonna be on this "event", regardless of exactly who it's aimed at.

Last edited:

Arun1910

Full specs by Digital Foundry - https://uk.ign.com/articles/ps5-full-specs-revealed

PS5:
  • CPU: 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz (variable frequency)
  • GPU: 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency)
  • GPU Architecture: Custom RDNA 2
  • Memory/Interface: 16GB GDDR6/256-bit
  • Memory Bandwidth: 448GB/s
  • Internal Storage: Custom 825GB SSD
  • IO Throughput: 5.5GB/s (Raw), Typical 8-9GB/s (Compressed)
  • Expandable Storage: NVMe SSD Slot
  • External Storage: USB HDD Support
  • Optical Drive: 4K UHD Blu-ray Drive

Top Bottom