• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Road to PS5: Official Stream

Filippos

Banned
36 RDNA2 CUs = 58 PS4 CUs means bigger die than SeX, these CUs on PS5 are extremely customized

meh:

lolbij7c.png

GHG

Gold Member
Why should anyone care about what this person has to say?

He's not wrong.

They waited all this time and allowed hype to build only to show this instead of something tangible.

He just fucking said "the matirix" FFS. I feel like I've traveled back to the time of the PS3 reveal.

Full specs by Digital Foundry - https://uk.ign.com/articles/ps5-full-specs-revealed

PS5:
  • CPU: 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz (variable frequency)
  • GPU: 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency)
  • GPU Architecture: Custom RDNA 2
  • Memory/Interface: 16GB GDDR6/256-bit
  • Memory Bandwidth: 448GB/s
  • Internal Storage: Custom 825GB SSD
  • IO Throughput: 5.5GB/s (Raw), Typical 8-9GB/s (Compressed)
  • Expandable Storage: NVMe SSD Slot
  • External Storage: USB HDD Support
  • Optical Drive: 4K UHD Blu-ray Drive

Should note that the high speed expandable storage is going to be very specific compatible m2 drives that might not even be available at launch

Filippos

Banned
The 10 TF isn't problem, it's the variable performance. The idea that the system has to lower performance under demanding titles is awful. It's the opposite of what you would want.

Yup.

But up until now at least, the focus has been on the GPU, where Microsoft has delivered 12 teraflops of compute performance via 3328 shaders allocated to 52 compute units (from 56 in total on silicon, four disabled to increase production yield) running at a sustained, locked 1825MHz. Once again, Microsoft stresses the point that frequencies are consistent on all machines, in all environments. There are no boost clocks with Xbox Series X.

Azurro

Banned
Really disappointed so far. 10.3 TF, 820 GB for storage, if I heard that right. I don't give a shit about 3D audio. It's weaker than the Xbox in almost every way. Disappointing.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Its like what they did with the pro, they talk up a unique feature blike checkerboard rendering and try and make it sound better then it is.
This time they are trying to big up the ssd and sound, while the ssd does look a great feature, the things that really matter are CPU,GPU and RAM.

So far I've got

Tons of stuff about 3D and RT audio
BC with PS4 games
16gb GDDR6
825 SSD at 5.5gb bandwidth
CPU at 3.5 ghz
36CUs at 2.23 ghz
10.3TF
Custom RDNA 2
Ray tracing
Always in boost mode
Something about Geometry Engine and some other fancy engine code name (kind of like PS2 EE)

PS5 DOA. All those insiders were basically BS.

Let's see how this ages after launch day.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
He's not wrong.

They waited all this time and allowed hype to build only to show this instead of something tangible.

He just fucking said "the matirix" FFS. I feel like I've traveled back to the time of the PS3 reveal.

We have no way of evaluating whether his statement was true or not. We'll never know. It's just a nonsensical gut reaction. Which is fine and all, but I don't get what dropping his Tweet was meant to accomplish, as if he has some air of legitimacy.

icerock

EXTREMELY skeptical by what he said about variable frequency in addition to power consumption. The idea is fine in theory, but you leave it open to interpretation what the base clocks are. Also, I have no doubt, all this overclocking was to get closer to Series X spec. This machine was not designed from the ground up to be this powerful.

I need to see the retail unit and how hot/noisy it runs, not convinced by the pitch so far. Plenty to do from here on Sony.

longdi

Banned
GPU 36CUs @ 2.23Gghz = 10.3TFs.
CPU @ 3.5Ghz

ROPs, TMUs, etc all run at high clock rate.
That is great.

But the number of CUs are too little... so the overall TFs are really bad.

Well that machine can't cost more than $399.

rop and tmu are coupled with cu.

Sony not only lack computational power but also texturing and fillrates.

It will run at 9tflops speed unless you are playing minecraft.

I cant believe how hard Sony failed this round. But console wars are always flipping between leaders.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Full specs by Digital Foundry - https://uk.ign.com/articles/ps5-full-specs-revealed

PS5:
  • CPU: 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz (variable frequency)
  • GPU: 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency)
  • GPU Architecture: Custom RDNA 2
  • Memory/Interface: 16GB GDDR6/256-bit
  • Memory Bandwidth: 448GB/s
  • Internal Storage: Custom 825GB SSD
  • IO Throughput: 5.5GB/s (Raw), Typical 8-9GB/s (Compressed)
  • Expandable Storage: NVMe SSD Slot
  • External Storage: USB HDD Support
  • Optical Drive: 4K UHD Blu-ray Drive
Oh shit. Thanks. I didnt think IGN would have a spec sheet already. I was writing them down as I go!

Looks like the only advantage of PS5 is SSD bandwidth at about double the speed of SeX's SSD.

Everything else is worse.

Ogbert

Well, will all come down to price.

If X box matches this you will have a significant performance difference at the same price.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I am still waiting for the "best hardware innovation since 20 years" by the way

It was the I/O throughput and loading times. You're not going to see games designed with that in mind on PC for a long while.

vpance

PS% will be so much weaker than series x it's really sad.

No way gpu runs at 2,2 ghz for more than a few seconds, more like 1,8 at best, so you're looking at an average of 9 TF to be very very generous.

It works different that boost on PC cards. It's at max boost until the game gets very demanding at which point it downclocks by 10% or so. Cerny's words.

DF comparos going to be real interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

#Phonepunk#

Banned
They made it abundantly clear way in advance that this is a techy deep dive and NOT a sales pitch.

Still, even for a techy deep dive it's dull as dishwater.
yeah this dude is laying on the real hard science, 50% of this is flying over my head.

it is funny to watch that youtube comments feed tho lol

Top Bottom