• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Road to PS5: Official Stream

CthulhuPL

Hype train derailed....

It was very well educated and Cerny has a nice voice HOWEVER Sony... please wtf? You could atleast show us Godfall..... This is either a grand strategy of theirs to hold in the dark till the end OR there is really something wrong going on in Sony. My feelings are that they once again are out of touch... JUst like in ps3 era.

Last edited:

DonF

Wait, what? Mark Cerny said 10.3TF. So shouldn't it be 10TF vs 12TF? Are you are a system/hardware engineer? I need more explanation on this? Are we just making guesses are we assuming? I'm genuinely curious, as it seems there are very many experts in this thread breaking this down.
10 tf is with boost clocks. XSX will not have boost, max freq all the time, so in practice, 10.3 tf is the max possible for ps5. Whereas 12 tf of the xsx is all the time, not the max.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That was very cool stuff, but its very obvious that this was a GDC talk so not sure how it'll play with the general audience.

Going to be very interesting to see how it stacks up performance wise against the SX's more brute-force approach.

Have both this gen, definitely going to wait on PS5 after that... Once there are a few unmissable exclusives I'll no doubt be unable to resist.

Disappointing specs poorly presented, and couldn't help but feel he was spinning frantically, while Microsoft just hit us in the face with the numbers.

Also, ' have we entered the Matrix?' is going to be the thing I most remember after that. Embarrassing.

HeadsUp7Up

I will give them credit on audio being a big piece. My tv is still the same but I really miss taking down my surround sound when I had my kid so he wouldn’t knock the speakers over. As a matter of fact Dolby atmos sound on my headphone son Xbox is a game changer.

GeorgPrime

Banned
So the "Developers Conference" that wasnt be able to held at GDC due to Corona was now online for everyone. They dont aim it at players but everyone is complaining anyway. Whoever expected a reveal.... your fault

I really love the 3D Sound aspect. The new Sony TVs with integrated 3D sound will be happily joining the PS 5 :)

Last edited:

TTOOLL

Disappointed they didn't show the console but I guess it is to be expected since it was a developers talk. They will reveal it with some games soon enough. They have to.

The one good thing about that 10.2 Tflop number is its getting there by using higher clock speeds over just more compute units at slower speeds which will offer better performance

Jonsoncao

Banned
Wait, what? Mark Cerny said 10.3TF. So shouldn't it be 10TF vs 12TF? Are you are a system/hardware engineer? I need more explanation on this? Are we just making guesses are we assuming? I'm genuinely curious, as it seems there are very many experts in this thread breaking this down.

Please find an AMD discrete RDNA card, say 5700XT, can run constantly, say even on 2Ghz.....without encountering thermal issues.

Looks like Sony targeted $399 for PS5.

I'm ok with 10.3TF @2ghz. No loading times.

Bring on the games I say!
@2ghz you have 9.3tf.

Last edited:

iNvid02

Lol, Sony getting desperate to keep the dream of "buy our box" alive while gaming is becoming open platform more and more each day

An ear HRTF wont be a USP man

Bryank75

Banned
Good specs but the production value of the stream was terrible... they come across like cheap pricks.

I like a technical talk but they needed something for average viewers.....

Like Xbox had a few videos and simple language like 'monster', 'it eats monsters for breakfast', some people just don't understand bottlenecks and memory and all the figures.... they need something.

Why on earth did sony choose this to be the ps5 unviel?

So far xbox is spanking sony at THE PR game.
This was suppose to be the GDC talk. If you didn't expect it to be nerdy AF after he said that... I don't know what to tell you. Also, they stated "Mark Cerny" would do a deep dive not "YouTube personalities" Let's face it, Mark Cerny is not a very charismatic guy, not at all, he explains all the nerdy shit.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't even think this will be $400. Considering it's not as high as most people thought, I was thinking if it was $400, they'd promoted it as there's no way SeX is $400. It'll be $500 or more.

What might happen is PS5 $500, SeX $600?

Aceofspades

Banned
It seems Cerny has created a wonderful piece of technology. Lots of SSD, Audio customisations went into PS5.

Let's see how 2.2Ghz ( unimaginably high) at 36CUs (narrow and fast) vs Xbox (wide and slower) can compare.
Lets see how the RT performance can be affected by such high clocks.

Im really happy about PS5 specs, of course I wished of a bigger TF number but after the stream, I think Cerny convinced me that Sacrificing a small TF number for the huge improvements in the SSD and Audio hopefully for a reasonably priced package can be a fantastic deal and totally worth it.

I would like to apologize for the Githubbers especially that twitter dude and R R600

Chaio bitches, and Fuck era 🔥🤣

No even a dualshock 5 or tech demo games. It was disappointing.

Hell, they could've just done a pretentious artsy fartsy reveal of the hardware in a trailer the day before with a price-tag and release date, and THEN held this little presentation a day later and it would've satisfied both parties. Whether people like it or not, this was the first time ANYONE was getting information about the new console, regardless of the target audience.

RWwtc4Y.gif

Last edited:

CAB_Life

“Road to the PS5: Official Scream”?

In all seriousness, I think a traditional overblown razzle-dazzle presentation in an ampitheate was the best way to do the reveal. Not some sleepy presentation with what looked like cardboard audience members in a nondescript room. Very weird shift in marketing for them—they’re usually so on point.

Last edited:
It seems Cerny has created a wonderful piece of technology. Lots of SSD, Audio customisations went into PS5.

Let's see how 2.2Ghz ( unimaginably high) at 36CUs (narrow and fast) vs Xbox (wide and slower) can compare.
Lets see how the RT performance can be affected by such high clocks.

Im really happy about PS5 specs, of course I wished of a bigger TF number but after the stream, I think Cerny convinced me that Sacrificing a small TF number for the huge improvements in the SSD and Audio hopefully for a reasonably priced package can be a fantastic deal and totally worth it.

I would like to apologize for the Githubbers especially that twitter dude and R R600

Chaio bitches, and Fuck era 🔥🤣

So more CUs isn't better?

Top Bottom