• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Road to PS5: Official Stream

UnNamed

Banned
I'm not disappointed, for now.
I hoped to see the console or some tech demo, but considering we didn't see anything relevant from XSX too, we have to wait in both cases.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Technically, that actually was a "deep dive".

Assuming the focus of a game console is SSD for 25 minutes and 3D/RT audio for another 15 minutes.

Then 20 minutes for everything else asap.

LostDonkey

They better make the box sexy AF.

vxrvYou.png

Fawst

Banned
Let me get this straight: people are calling this boring, but "Xbox ... 12.1 Tflops!!!" is exciting? Did ... did I follow the past few days correctly?

Keihart

This focus on SSD and how they are using it, sounds like not just a focus on loading, but streaming. As in , not just culling detail but actually streaming it even in tight spaces just like culling. There is also some talk about a new way to manage LODs wich is interesting, because ND's LODs were impressive but is probably better?

10 tf is with boost clocks. XSX will not have boost, max freq all the time, so in practice, 10.3 tf is the max possible for ps5. Whereas 12 tf of the xsx is all the time, not the max.
Call me crazy, but don't the developers choose what clock speed the
Please find an AMD discrete RDNA card, say 5700XT, can run constantly, say even on 2Ghz.....without encountering thermal issues.

@2ghz you have 9.3tf.
Is there a GPU or APU out there that run's at 100% all the time while experiencing no thermal issues? Is the XSX achieved running MAX speed at all times with not thermal issues?

Fake

What else we gonna do with consoles? stare at its flops?

Ask for them.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Presentation was for the developers with a lot of tech details.
Gamers: shocked pikachu.
Yeah because the developers are the ones that will bring the profit

If the gamers weren't as important then Cerny wouldn't have bothered to simply the info

Try again

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The overall takeaway I got from this is that the PS5 is significantly behind in the development pipeline than the Series X is.

This whateverthefuck it was felt like what we typically see at GDC a year or more away from a console's launch, when they're trying to persuade developers to code games for their new system.

DonF

At this point in time, Xbox Series X is the better console for sure.

I have no doubt Sony will deliver the games though.
yep, im a sony dude this gen, and its a shame to hear that the ps5 will be the lesser box, but the almost perfect retrocompat and the non propietary m.2 ssd swingle my decision. I hope that at least the price is lower.

Last edited:

imperium

This would’ve been a good GDC presentation but not so much for the general public. Would’ve been smart to show the console and maybe a game trailer or two but that may come in the next few days.

splattered

I almost feel bad now cause I was always sorta joking but feels like 90% of the poking at Sony that i did on here actually came to fruition... wtf did Sony just do to themselves? I cant believe this i totally expected around 11tf without overclocking etc. Ouch.

treemk

Banned
yep, im a sony dude this gen, and its a shame to hear that the ps5 will be the lesser box, but the almost perfect retrocompat and the non propietary m.2 ssd swingly my decision. I hope that at least the price is lower.

XBOX is going to have to deliver some good games, otherwise I'm better off spending that money upgrading my gaming PC. PS5 all the way for better performing PS4 games and better exclusives moving forward.

When I saw the presentation was titled "Road to PS5," my expectations shifted to this being nothing more than a numbers-on-screen session. Sony had to unveil this info eventually, but by not providing any additional spice with their numbers, they'll now be looking at lots of negative rumblings over their perceived weaker hardware.

As it stands, nothing has sold me on either the next PS or XB, but had it been my decision at Sony, I'd at least have shown the console's physical design (and the controller, if possible).

McCheese

Microsoft must be feeling pretty good right about now.

Honesty, 3D audio isn't a big deal for me outside of VR - seems like such a weird area to spend so much time, research and processing power on. variable GPU clock speed also sounds worrisome, how can developers keep things at a smooth 60fps if different people are going to be running different GPU clocks because their system has been running longer/hotter.

Keihart

The overall takeaway I got from this is that the PS5 is significantly behind in the development pipeline than the Series X is.

This whateverthefuck it was felt like what we typically see at GDC a year or more away from a console's launch, when they're trying to persuade developers to code games for their new system.
Don't you say.... :pie_thinking:

It seems Cerny has created a wonderful piece of technology. Lots of SSD, Audio customisations went into PS5.

Let's see how 2.2Ghz ( unimaginably high) at 36CUs (narrow and fast) vs Xbox (wide and slower) can compare.
Lets see how the RT performance can be affected by such high clocks.

Im really happy about PS5 specs, of course I wished of a bigger TF number but after the stream, I think Cerny convinced me that Sacrificing a small TF number for the huge improvements in the SSD and Audio hopefully for a reasonably priced package can be a fantastic deal and totally worth it.

I would like to apologize for the Githubbers especially that twitter dude and @R600

Chaio bitches, and Fuck era 🔥🤣
You seem like the only level headed person here. Very different approaches and will be interesting to see what happens. Its funny cause hearing Cerny explained the "benefits" of running at a higher speed sounded interesting to me, but for some, it just sounded like damage control.

I'm pretty satisfied by the specs. Wish they had games to show. But, they're close enough and the approaches are different, so those number may mean nothing. But I don't know, i'm not going to sit here an play armchair hardware engineer here.

Koopatrol

Github was mostly correct then. They've just been able to clock it higher, so it comes to 10.3 TF.

I think Sony should've really tried to do more CUs, but it actually sounds like they didn't want to in part due to BC and cost. Don't feel too great about that. The SSD stuff is interesting, seems to be incredibly fast. So it will be cool to see how first party games can leverage that speed. But overall, the presentation was pretty boring, especially without any tech demos.

Microsoft is in a pretty good position for next gen. PS5 and XSX seem to be aiming for entirely different things, so it will be interesting to see what the general public will think. I think next gen will be extremely competitive, and it's good to see that MS has learned from all of their mistakes with last gen. Sony really needs to be careful with the pricing, especially with Lockhart.

rofif

Banned
Dont really care about specs.

Death Stranding on my base PS4 looks better than anything I've ever played on the One X. Talent will always win.
That's because DS is the best looking game ever. Some of the cutscenes near the end look like cgi to me. Uncharted 4 also still looks amazing. It all comes down to games

Top Bottom